'09 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFF-SEASON THREAD-recruiting/Coaching Changes/Transfers

eek.gif
roll.gif

Graham Harrell was on ESPN Radio today and made a comment along the lines of "When you come to Texas Tech, you have to expect you're not going to geta fair shot from the NFL"

laugh.gif
What a moron... Mike Sherman and everybody fighting for Texas and Oklahoma's scraps need to take this audio and put it in EVERY SINGLE recruit'sear...

Aye Dirk, what do you know about the kid from TX that just committed to the Noles?

And Florida fans, are y'all actually gonna let Lamarcus Joyner come to the camp?

2zrkizc.jpg

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Coming to a backfield near you
pimp.gif

And if the mumblings about Lemonier are true as well

sick.gif
sick.gif
eek.gif
pimp.gif

And Florida fans, is Christian Lemay gonna be at FNL?

A conversation with Colin Kaepernick
Wednesday, July 22, 2009 |

As I've written a handful of times this offseason, I'm a big believer in Colin Kaepernick, Nevada's junior quarterback. Last season, the 6-foot-6 QB not only ran for over 1,000 yards but he had a 22:7 touchdown to interception ratio. Not bad for a guy who only had one scholarship offer coming out of high school. Kaepernick is a spectacular athlete. Last month, he was called in the 43rd round of the MLB Draft by the Chicago Cubs. This fall, he and the Wolf Pack [a team with three 1,000-yard rushers] will open their season at Notre Dame, and will be on national TV a lot. Last week, I had a chance to catch up with Kaepernick.

How surprised were you when you found out the Chicago Cubs had selected you in the MLB Draft last month?

Kaepernick: I was very surprised. My brother called and told me. I thought he was joking but then our media guy called and let me know. The Cubs called later that day. They said they wanted me to come and pitch this summer. Throw some bullpen to see where I'm at compared to high school, but we didn't take them up on that.

When was the last time you threw a baseball?

Kaepernick: The section title game of my senior year of high school.
To read more of Bruce's interview with Kaepernick, including his thoughts on opening the season against Notre Dame, in addition to some more observations from the Elite 11 QB camp where Bruce currently is, you must be an ESPN Insider.
in.gif

What's the fastest you ever got clocked?

Kaepernick: 93 or 94.

And that was when you weighed about 170. And now you're like fifty pounds bigger?

Kaepernick: Probably about 45.

Do you think you could throw harder because of your added strength?

Kaepernick: Definitely. I think I could throw a lot harder. I think I could throw mid-90s. I've gotten a lot bigger and stronger this offseason, and I'm hoping that'll really help me this season on the football field. Last season, I played at around 200 pounds. At one point, I got up to 218 this summer and my speed is still up there. When we got tested, I ran a 4.64 [40-yard dash].

What have you focused on most this offseason?

Kaepernick: Mostly on my accuracy and my anticipation. Also, throwing the ball with good touch when the time calls for it.

For people who haven't had the chance to see you play, who do you get compared to most?

Kaepernick: Most of the time, I get compared to Vince Young and Pat White. I think I can be a little different than them. I've really worked on my pocket passing. I'm hoping that shows this season, and I can separate myself from the "typical running quarterback."

Your teammate Luke Lippincott said the first time you came in the huddle, you were so quiet the other guys on the offense had to yell at you to speak up. How much do you think you've grown into the position?

Kaepernick: I think part of that is my confidence in myself and what I'm doing out there. The other part of that is I know that as a leader, I have to be vocal whether I want to be vocal or not, sometimes I have to be.

I heard even though no one knew much about you, you showed up at one of those Elite 11 regional QB workouts in Vegas and impressed some people. What did that do for your confidence?

Kaepernick: [Matthew] Stafford was there. Josh Freeman was there. The kid that went to Notre Dame and transferred [Demetrius Jones] was there, too. I threw really well that day. I had a lot of people asking me who I was and where I was at. That day was definitely an eye-opener for me. It was a good experience because it gave me a feel for where you have to be compared to the other quarterbacks around the country. That day, I also learned that size matters. I think a lot of people didn't recruit me out of high school because of how skinny I was.

In a lot of cases, when people see a talented guy who isn't getting a lot of offers that he must have bad grades, but I know that wasn't the case for you. How tough was it for you to reconcile why these other QBs who might not throw the ball as well are getting offered and you weren't?

Kaepernick: My senior year I had a 4.5 GPA. I had a lot of Ivy League schools contact me about playing football and playing football and baseball. I'm really not too sure why only Nevada had offered me. I'm still trying to figure that out till this very day, but really, I wouldn't change anything because I'm happy where I'm at. Of course, it was definitely a frustrating thing, but it's also something that has motivated me to get where I am at today. My parents could tell you that I can be one of the most stubborn kids ever, so just knowing that people didn't want me coming out of high school, I feel like I have something to prove every day.

What does opening the season again Notre Dame mean to you?

Kaepernick: I definitely want to show how much I've improved as a passer and that I can still run the ball just as well. But more than anything, I just want to show that we're a better team.

How much have you studied Notre Dame?

Kaepernick: I've watched some film on them but not too much because we don't have the game plan in, yet. It's a little tougher to watch if you don't have the checks and audibles in for what they're going to be doing.

Like what I am hearing from reports about Devin Gardner at the Elite 11. Kid should be a good one for us down the line. 6-4 210lbs and can move. Heard fromsome people that if he was listed as an ATHLETE he would be a 5 star.

Originally Posted by dreClark

Aye Dirk, what do you know about the kid from TX that just committed to the Noles?
Not a ton, but you gotta wonder about a kid from Texas that gets number crunched out of an offer by Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, and OklahomaState...

I like him, and I know a lot of people on A&M boards LOVED him as a LB with their transition to a 3-4 base defense, but they just got to where they werepretty set at LB with Corey Nelson committing, Domonique Patterson already in the fold, and feeling very good about their chances with Shaun Lewis...

Preciate it Dirk.

I was thinking the same thing. Though I kinda attributed some of it as him being really raw and the fact that he was a DE. He's playing OLB now soit'll be interesting to see how develops. If he blows up (not saying he sill) then I could see like Okie St or somebody offering him. Reports are that helooked GREAT in 7 vs 7 as a OLB. But then again' that's not too telling.

We'll see.

Also, FSU just offered UGA commit, Deon Rogers from Treasure Coast (same school as Jeff Luc)

nerd.gif
pimp.gif

Also, FSU just offered UGA commit, Deon Rogers from Treasure Coast (same school as Jeff Luc)

nerd.gif
pimp.gif

Hopefully he stays put and gets Luc to commit too. Is Luc gon wait til NSD to commit?

Dr Funk, I have a question...

If u are not of Mormom faith, and u accept scholarship there, are u required to take a mormon mission as well?

FNL Roster- There can be a few changes based on people not making it but this is very very close to what it will be.

OFFENSE

QUARTERBACK
*** Trey Burton Naples (Fla.)
*** Devin Burns Columbus (Ga.) Carver
*** Stephen Morris Miami Shores (Fla.) Monsignor Pace
Trevor Olson Evergreen (Co.)
Jamius Gunsby LaGrange (Ga.)

2011:
Teddy Bridgewater Miami (Fla.) Northwestern (2011)
Eddie Williams Panama City (Fla.) Arnold (2012)

RUNNING BACK
**** Mack Brown Lithonia (Ga.) Martin Luther King (Rivals100)
*** Corvin Lamb Miami (Fla.) Northwestern

2011:
Jacob Baxter Brookland (S.C.) Cayce (2011)
Mike Bellamy Punta Gorda (Fla.) Charlotte (2011)
Quan Bray Hogansville (Ga.) Callaway
Chevelle Buie Cocoa (Fla.)
Deante Saunders Deland (Fla.) (2011)
Kion Williams Palatka (Fla.) (2011)
Kelvin Taylor Belle Glade (Fla.) Glades Day (2013)

RECEIVER
***** Darius White Fort Worth (Tex.) Dunbar (Rivals100)
**** Christian Green Tampa (Fla.) Catholic (Rivals100)
**** Markeith Ambles Henry County (Ga.) (Rivals100)
**** Justin McCay Shawnee (Kan.) Bishop Miege (Rivals100)
**** Chris Dunkley Pahokee (Fla.) (Rivals100)
**** Michaelee Harris Miami (Fla.) Northwestern (Rivals250)
**** James Louis Delray Beach (Fla.) Atlantic (Rivals250)
**** Solomon Patton Mobile (Ala.) Murphy (Rivals250)
**** Quinton Dunbar Miami (Fla.) Booker T. Washington (Rivals250)
**** Kadron Boone Ocala (Fla.) Trinity Catholic (Rivals250)
*** Darius Millines Delray Beach (Fla.) American Heritage School
*** Robert Clark West Palm Beach (Fla.) Dwyer
*** Ace Sanders Bradenton (Fla.) Manatee
*** Sean Tapley Jacksonville (Fla.) Raines
Kody Williams Niceville (Fla.)

2011:
Sammy Watkins South Fort Myers (Fla.) (2011)
Andre Davis Tampa (Fla.) Jefferson (2011)
Hakeem Flowers Greenville (S.C.) Wade Hampton (2011)
Quantavious Leslie Hogansville (Ga.) Callaway (2011)
Kasen Williams Sammamish (Wash.) Skyline (2011)

TIGHT END
**** Gerald Christian West Palm Beach (Fla.) Dwyer (Rivals250)
*** Neil Basford Jacksonville (Fla.) Bishop Kenny
*** Michael McFarland Tampa (Fla.) Blake

2011:
Kelvin Benjamin Belle Glade (Fla.) Glades Central (2011)
Jonathan Garcia Cape Coral (Fla.) Baker
Nick O'Leary West Palm Beach (Fla.) Dwyer

OFFENSIVE LINE
**** Chaz Green Tampa (Fla.) Catholic (Rivals100)
**** Ian Silberman Jacksonville (Fla.) Fleming Island (Rivals100)
**** Brandon Linder Ft. Lauderdale (Fla.) St. Thomas Aquainas (Rivals250)
Jack DeBoef State College (Pa.) State College Area

2011:
La'el Collins Baton Rouge (La.) Redemptorist (2011)
Trey Pettis Deland (Fla.) (2011)
Tyler Moore Clearwater (Fla.) Countryside (2011)

DEFENSE

DEFENSIVE LINE
***** Ronald Powell Moreno Valley (Calif.) Rancho Verde (Rivals100)
***** Sharrif Floyd Philadelphia (Pa.) George Washington (Rivals100)
***** J.R. Ferguson Chatham (Va.) Hargrave Military Academy (Rivals100)
**** Corey Lemonier Hialeah (Fla.) (Rivals100)
**** Leon Orr New Port Richey (Fla.) (Rivals100)
**** Lynden Trail Miami (Fla.) Booker T. Washington (Rivals250)
**** Todd Chandler Miami (Fla.) Northwestern (Rivals250)
**** Louis Nix Jacksonville(Fla.) Raines (Rivals250)
**** Calvin Smith Hialeah (Fla.)
*** Neiron Ball Jackson (Ga.)
*** Corey Crawford Columbus (Ga.) Carver
Anthony Williams McDonough (Ga.) Union Grove
Eric Hammond Tampa (Fla.) Wharton
Bjoern Werner Salisbury (Conn.) Salisbury School
Gabriel Wright Columbus (Ga.) Carver

2011:
Clay Burton Venice (Fla.) (2011)
Ray Drew Thomasville (Ga.) Thomas County Central (2011)
LaMichael Fanning Hogansville (Ga.) Callaway (2011)
Curtis Maggett West Palm Beach (Fla.) Dwyer (2011)

LINEBACKER
***** Jeff Luc Port Saint Lucie (Fla.) Treasure Coast (Rivals100)
**** Khairi Fortt Stamford (Conn.) (Rivals100)
**** Gideon Ajagbe Coconut Grove (Fla.) Ransom Everglades (Rivals250)
*** Kevin Nelson Gainesville (Fla.)
Deon Rogers Port Saint Lucie (Fla.)

2011:
A.J. Johnson Gainesville (Ga.)
Tony Steward Saint Augustine (Fla.) Pedro Menendez
James Vaughters Tucker (Ga.)

SECONDARY
***** MMatt Elam West Palm Beach (Fla.) Dwyer (Rivals100)
***** Lamarcus Joyner Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) St. Thomas Aquinas (Rivals100)
**** Cody Riggs Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) St. Thomas Aquinas (Rivals100)
**** Jonathan Dowling Bradenton (Fla.) Southeast (Rivals100)
**** Jaylen Watkins Cape Coral (Fla.) (Rivals100)
**** Jordan Haden Ft. Washington (M.D.) Friendly (Rivals250)
**** Demar Dorsey Lauderdale Lakes (Fla.) Boyd Anderson (Rivals250)
**** Victor Hampton Darlington (S.C.)
*** Tony Grimes Hollywood (Fla.) Hollywood Hills
*** Rashad Knight Jacksonville (Fla.) Trinity
*** Keion Payne Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) St. Thomas Aquinas

2011:
Wayne Lyons Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) Dillard (2011)
Keelin Smith Port Saint Lucie (Fla.) Treasure Coast
Karlos Williams Davenport (Fla.) Ridge Community (2011)
Lamarcus Brutus Port Saint Lucie (Fla.) Treasure Coast (2011)
Nick Waisome Groveland (Fla.) South Lake (2011)
Jabriel Washington Jackson (Tenn.) Trinity Christian Academy (2011)

Poor DB's and OL.

Tebow on the Pats next year....
pimp.gif

If u are not of Mormom faith, and u accept scholarship there, are u required to take a mormon mission as well?

No. You think Jimmy Mac was going to take a mormon mission?

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

pimp.gif

Man i m just askin cus Jimmy Mac couldnt have pre-marital sex also.

I remember they kicked rodney Jenkins off the team cus his roommate dimed him out for havin sex with a chick

they are pretty stringent in their beliefs

Eric Berry left early for the draft when he stepped foot on campus.

laugh.gif
exactly, *@%%+ had 1st round grade his Frosh yr. UT Fans who thought he would stay are some STANS

Maaaan if you weren't Mormon why the hell would you go to BYU? Got nothing wrong with em, got plenty of friends that are Mormon, but they're VERY setin their beliefs and you damn near cannot be yourself around a lot of them...

I'd imagine it's even more overwhelming in the heart of Utah than it is with some of them here in Texas...

[table][tr][td]Bill Greene Goes 1-On-1 With Lamarcus Joyner[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
658056.jpg

[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[table][tr][td]
By Bill Greene

Staff Writer
Posted Jul 24, 2009
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]

Ft. Lauderdale (Fla.) St. Thomas Aquinas superstar Lamarcus Joyner is one of the most sought after prospects in America. Recently Joyner agreed to answer questions posed by BuckeyeSports.com writer Bill Greene. Check out the article to see a side of this young man rarely seen in previous interviews.
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Ft. Lauderdale (Fla.) St. Thomas Aquinas defensive back Lamarcus Joyner is one of the highest rated football players in America and is being courted by college coaches from all across the land.
Joyner is also one of the most mature and articulate high school students you will ever meet, as is evidenced by his answers in this interview.

Greene: Lamarcus, you are one of the more heavily recruited players in the country. At what point do you shut down recruiting and concentrate on your duties at St. Thomas Aquinas?
Joyner: "You know what? I'm already doing that. Personally, I feel that the recruiting process has not interfered with my responsibilities at St. Thomas. Starting last spring, my work in the classroom proved that. I'm focused on my senior year and helping my teammates achieve their goals. I'm not doing as many interviews lately and I'm not fielding as many calls."

Greene: Is it a question of being intelligent about how many interviews or how many phone calls you field?
Joyner: "Exactly. I control the situation. Things started to get to me a little bit, but I have things back on track now. I've been pressured by coaches pushing for a commitment or by writers asking the same questions day after day, but I have to decide who to speak to and when to go into hiding a little bit. At the same time I know how blessed I am and I know there are a thousand high school players who would love to be in my shoes, so I can't shut it down completely. I never want to come across as being above people."

Greene: Do you know exactly what your role will be with St. Thomas Aquinas this season?
Joyner: "I just know that they're going to use me a lot [laughing]. I love being at St. Thomas. I love my head coach. Coach [George] Smith and I had a long talk this past week. He said he's never seen a transfer come to St. Thomas and show the attitude and leadership that I've shown, both in the weight room and on the field. Coming from a legend like Coach Smith means the world to me. The team has voted me as a captain so I've got a lot of responsibility at St. Thomas. I really love what I have at St. Thomas."

Greene: It has to make you feel good to earn praise from a man like George Smith.
Joyner: "You have no idea. Coach Smith doesn't have to say anything to me that isn't the truth, because they don't need me. I need them. Coach Smith has put people in the league so he knows what he's talking about. Earning praise from him really touches my heart because I look up to him so much. I think so much of him that he's a very important part of my life."

Greene: With your obvious admiration for St. Thomas, do you ever look back and wish you had more than just one year to be at St. Thomas?
Joyner: "Oh man, I tell people all the time that I wish I had been at St. Thomas for the past four years. I mean look at my defensive back teammates like Cody Riggs and Keion Payne. We might be the best defensive backfield in the history of Florida high school football. Then we have guys like Brandon Linder and Giovani Bernard and they are legitimate stars. I feel real good being around my teammates and I trust them on and off the field. Instead of crying about not being here for four years, I choose to thank God for the time I have left here."

Greene: What about having an assistant coach like former NFL great Cris Carter? How has he helped you?
Joyner: "Coach Carter is so great and he knows this game inside and out. I love Coach Carter because he's shown me a lot about playing wide receiver and they know I want to play both ways. He coaches me a lot on how to mentally play the game and not just depend on my talent to carry me. I have a great defensive backs coach here also, so I have no excuses about how I play this year. It's all on me."

Greene: Now you know I can't interview one of the top recruits in the country without touching on recruiting, so tell me where things stand today.
Joyner: "[Laughing] Oh, I knew you would get around to recruiting. I'm headed to Florida for Friday Night Lights and I'm excited to get up there. I've told myself all week that I'm not going to work out up there, but you know I think I'm gonna take my cleats just in case I get caught up in the moment [laughing]. I don't think Florida can turn my head about being recruited there but you never know. I've been there five times before, so I'm pretty familiar with everything they have to offer. It will be cool to touch base with those coaches because they're great guys."

"You might have heard I was up at Florida State recently [laughing]. I love Florida State and I had a great time up there. My thing is I'm not going to make a decision off a fun trip. This is a business decision, a life decision, and I only get one choice to get it right. I've said Florida State is my No. 1 school right now but that could change tomorrow. I love those coaches and I grew up with Florida State in my heart. I truly loved being around those guys, but there was no silent commitment to Florida State. I told them the same thing I told the other schools - that I'm not ready to make a decision right now. I think the Florida State coaching staff respects that and I appreciate them for that."

"Then there is Ohio State, and I think the world of Ohio State. Everybody that knows me knows how I feel about that program. The thing about Ohio State is I know if I go there I will be set for life. It's not just about football either. Ohio State is a special place where I can mature as a man and as a player. I love Ohio State. I truly love that program. The coaching staff at Ohio State is made up of a group of men that are great leaders and I couldn't think of them any higher than I do. They are right there as my No. 2 school."

"Georgia is my third school right now. Georgia is a place that I love those coaches. Coach [Mark] Richt is a great man, a man of God, and I respect that so much. I see a great opportunity to be successful there. Georgia saw my talent before anyone, before I had the high ranking. I will always consider Georgia and they will be in it right to the end."

"USC is my No. 5 school at this time. They have the glamour and there's Hollywood and all that. They put players in the show and I think a lot of Pete Carroll. USC has everything that can help me achieve what I want. Frankie Telfort is a friend of mine and he's out there, so I could hang with him should I go there. Distance isn't a huge factor for me but USC is in another part of the country and that concerns me a little bit."

"Let's not forget Alabama, my No. 4 school. Nick Saban is my guy because he IS the NFL. He knows that league and he can help me get there. Some people might not like Coach Saban, they say he's cocky, but I think the man is great. If you do right by him, he will do right by you. I'd love to be a part of the Tide program should I decide to go there. Coach Saban is bringing them back to where they used to be, and as long as he's there they are going to be at the top."

Greene: Have you set up any official visits to any of these schools yet?
Joyner: "I only have one official visit set up and that is to Ohio State. I'm going up there to see the USC game. That should be a cool time in Columbus. I'm not sure about taking an official to Florida State. I want to see the other schools first because I've been to Florida State a lot on unofficial visits. I might save an official for another school not in my top five. I will more than likely visit five schools, but I only have the one visit set right now."

Greene: What about a possible commitment date? I've heard you say before the season, during the season, or maybe even on signing day?
Joyner:"I'm becoming more and more a person of faith and I've been reading the Bible a lot lately. I believe that everything has its time. I don't want to make an impulsive decision, or get caught up in what my heart is telling me. When I know the time is right, I will announce my decision. I'm trying to use wisdom to make the right decision, both about what school and what time. When I have completed my personal evaluations of each school it will be time to make my choice public."

Greene: I don't want to get too personal, but I'd like you to tell me about your family in whatever you feel comfortable sharing.
Joyner: "It all starts and ends with my mom. My mom is the reason I am the person I am today, whether it was tough love or pure love. I learned that if you did the wrong thing you got punished, but if you did the right thing you didn't necessarily get rewarded because that's what you were supposed to do anyway. I love the way my mom raised me and I'm so happy she can experience the nice things happening to me. Some of her older kids haven't always done the right thing so I'm trying to be a success for her. She just wants to see me get a college degree and she won't try to influence my decision. She just wants me to get that college degree and I will do that. She will support me all the way, no matter what school I choose."

Greene: What does your mom think of her son being one of the top recruits in the country?
Joyner: "She pretty much doesn't follow the recruiting and the rankings and that stuff. My uncle prints stuff off for her and she loves reading it. I know how proud of me she is and I know how much happiness I bring her. That means everything to me. Nothing makes me feel better in the whole world than seeing my mama with a big smile on her face."

Greene: What about your relationship with your father?
Joyner:"Up through my freshman year my dad came to every one of my games, but then he and my mom split up. Things got kind of rough during my sophomore year and we didn't speak for a while. About a month ago my dad and I had a man-to-man talk and I think we understand each other a lot better now. Every situation in life won't always go the way we want it to, so I've learned that at an early age. I just keep on pushing toward my goals and I won't let anything stop me from being successful. I can say honestly that my dad and I are good right now and that's a good thing. We speak about twice a week right now and things are getting better every week between us."

Greene: As you head into your senior season, what can we expect from Lamarcus Joyner in 2009?
Joyner: "When Coach Smith tells me that he's never had a transfer fit in so well in one year, that drives me to be better than even I ever thought I could be. When they talk about me being a captain, it makes me want to give more than I thought I could give to my team. I'm with great players like Gio Bernard, Keion Payne and Cody Riggs, and I know they've been here for four years. I respect those guys so much and I know I have to stay humble and do more work than I've ever done before. But at the same time I didn't come to St. Thomas Aquinas to just fit in. I came here to be a great player, but a team player first. The best way to describe me is to say that I'm a 'Yes' man. I want to be positive to my coaches, my teammates, my teachers and to all of the great fans of St. Thomas. I'm going to give them my heart and my soul because I know how blessed I am to be in the situation I'm in. God has given me so much and I intend to make the most of it."
[/td] [/tr][/table]
Great kid.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

pimp.gif

Man i m just askin cus Jimmy Mac couldnt have pre-marital sex also.

I remember they kicked rodney Jenkins off the team cus his roommate dimed him out for havin sex with a chick

they are pretty stringent in their beliefs

I know, didnt mean to come of as a douche. I was actually trying to remember that guys name they booted out of school, remember having seen that on some RealSports show or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom