1 in 2 new graduates are jobless or underemployed - Yahoo! News

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

I'm a Business Management major, is it lookin' good for me?

nerd.gif

MGT is OD broad, you should find an industry or field and focus on it, mgt can land you a job managing foot locker or doing operations/ logistics 

Teaching is not your best bet... And this is coming from someone who wants and is getting his foot in the door to teach...

There is an influx of baby boomers holding onto jobs in many states, most college graduates in education have to play the waiting game for people to retire to get a job.. Until then welcome to the art of being a substitute..

Today it is a terrible profession for job outlook, but in 5 years there will be a lot of job vacancies..

But don't worry each teaching job is starting to be gutted in terms of salary and benefits because somehow blaming teachers for budgetary problems, and the economy is the cool thing to do...

Originally Posted by MMG

Originally Posted by youngdoc

A college degree just doesn't mean as much as it once did.

One shouldn't go to college without a plan or purpose. It has to be more than just get a degree

pretty much, majority of people go to school just because to say they are going to school for something
eyes.gif
eyes.gif
eyes.gif

STRONG cosign. LOTS of people go to college not knowing what they want to do and end up graduating in something entirely useless in today's society, or even worse, linger in college for an extra yr or 2
sick.gif
( i know some people
30t6p3b.gif
)

to solve such a problem is a big discussion in itself which is too late for me to get into now, i got work 2mrw
laugh.gif
but lack of career focus is a major factor in the unemployment. NOT to say its the only, as the terrible economy is a majority of the reason.

i graduated with an Electrical Engineering degree last summer and just started my first job a month ago...and engineers are supposed to be high demand.

The best thing someone going to or in college can do is choose a career with the highest yield of job security. Medicine/Healthcare such as doctors, nursing, and all that in between (but not that bs that u cop from ITT tech or w.e), engineering, and teaching are the 3 of the most solid careers today. There are shortages of people of these careers across the board...ESP nursing, idk anyone who went into nursing who didn't get a job off the bat and stacking mad bread.

Doing something that is useless like art history or philosophy for ie, will have you mad shook when those loan collectors come for you. A close friend of mine graduated with a degree in dance but ended up in a factory. I felt bad because you don't go to a 4 yr college to end up there, but thats real life.

This country is already pathetic in the sense that it cost an immense amount of money to get an education, and not even a good one at that....So the LEAST you can do is make sure the degree you're spending 100k on pays you back when you leave school. Best advice
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by milestailsprowe

Ok so Science> Liberal Arts?

I'm a Molecular Bio major and I have to say no. You still have to look just as hard to find a decent job. The competition is insane right now. Even medical school is getting harder (6% acceptance rate at U of A med school) to get into. I have a couple friends who were set on getting in to med school with psychology and physiology degrees, didn't and are now unemployed.

Bach. In exercise science and bout to finish my masters in human development and leadership.... sometimes I wanna go with strength and conditioning and sometimes I wanna see what type of job I can get with my masters... just don't know 
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by ninjahood
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
WHYYYYYYY?
But seriously thats way too real man and not at all a good look for the future IMO. A bachelors degree is going to be looked at like a HS diploma in like 5 years and you'll need a Masters if you want to do anything in my opinion.

I agree with the whole "People need to go into college with a sense of direction" statements that people are making, thats why I like stuff like iTunes U and Coursera which Hank Moody recently made a thread about. It gives HS students a chance to see what they would really like to do instead of going in blind. People shouldn't be above learning a trade either or supplementing their degrees with certifications that relate to their field 

Originally Posted by Antidope

Originally Posted by ninjahood
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
WHYYYYYYY?
But seriously thats way too real man and not at all a good look for the future IMO. A bachelors degree is going to be looked at like a HS diploma in like 5 years and you'll need a Masters if you want to do anything in my opinion.

I agree with the whole "People need to go into college with a sense of direction" statements that people are making, thats why I like stuff like iTunes U and Coursera which Hank Moody recently made a thread about. It gives HS students a chance to see what they would really like to do instead of going in blind. People shouldn't be above learning a trade either or supplementing their degrees with certifications that relate to their field�
Absolutely and all because the universities want more money
grin.gif

at this rate i have the same chances of gettin on rapping as getting a decent paying job
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by dluck8689

Graduated Summer 11'
Business Administration 

.....Still searching 
frown.gif

Graduated fall of 2011... Same degree and still searching.The part that's killing me is the "experience" part.

I'm on the same boat with some of you guys and I want to be a teacher. Definitely a challenge, but being positive and taking things one day at a time.

Graduated Spring 11'
Looked for a bit & got tired of it
....Taking the LSAT this June.

Honestly our bachelors degree is the equivalent to a high school diploma in europe .If we create our own jobs we create our own communities .All these smart kids with degrees and we aren't trying to get some of this federal grant money or nothing .Best way to beat the system is to create another system

Originally Posted by Th3RealF0lkBlu3s

Hope everyone in college developed relationships that they can build upon after school. If not, at least search for internships and find ways to add to the resume while being underemployed.
Even these are not guaranteed methods for finding employment.

Also, name recognition still holds a good of value at least in the job market I'm in (I can only speak for DC area, one of the strongest markets in the nation). There are a lot of people here with degrees from well-known schools. A lot of employers will show more interest in big name universities than small schools.

Originally Posted by ryair max 1

Originally Posted by Th3RealF0lkBlu3s

Hope everyone in college developed relationships that they can build upon after school. If not, at least search for internships and find ways to add to the resume while being underemployed.
Even these are not guaranteed methods for finding employment.
Doesn't mean you should shy away from it though, point is you have to be proactive rather than sit on your #%$ hoping for a job to come. Sending resumes from your home is probably the worst route to go.

the theme of this whole discussion comes down to the fact that for decades, your parents, teachers, guidance counselors, etc have been preaching about the importance of going to college to make a better life for yourself. they've been publishing studies that show that the college grad makes on average x% more than a worker with no degree. Colleges and pseudo colleges have been spending more and more money to attract more and more students. Banks and gov have been making large loans more available to people over time. Education is big business, and now the business is starting to drop off.

When i was in high school, my guidance counselor never even mentioned a trade school or apprentice program. The thought was if your a decent student with good enough grades, you go to college. Now the slackers/worse off students who went to work for the city/large local industry are doing a lot better than many college grads, and don't have that crushing burden of student loans.

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

I'm a Business Management major, is it lookin' good for me?

nerd.gif
Nope.  I have the same major and graduate in a year.  I'm going to get a degree in accounting also when i'm done.
My brother has his degree in bus. mgmt. and he currently works at CVS.  He's had job offers but they were for traveling salesmen jobs.  Other people I know sell insurance.  Make sure you get good internships.

Of course they are, the jobs they were going for never existed in the first place. 

Originally Posted by richiecotite

When i was in high school, my guidance counselor never even mentioned a trade school or apprentice program. The thought was if your a decent student with good enough grades, you go to college. Now the slackers/worse off students who went to work for the city/large local industry are doing a lot better than many college grads, and don't have that crushing burden of student loans.
Word. I know for my school they said Honors = 4 year University. College Prep = 2 Year / Tech. Not even sure what the other type of classes were classified as. The slackers from my school haven't advanced yet, I don't even think they're making an attempt to honestly lol. This may be due to the small city I'm from though. 

Disagree with a lot of this thread. Why should you come to college and know off the bat what you want to do FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE so end that career focus nonsense. I dabbled in courses found something i enjoyed and went with it. Im glad i did but honestly if i had something else for breakfast on orientation i could've chose any of a number of fields

Originally Posted by thrilla11

Ah #%!*.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

But yeah, it's about that time when upcoming HS or college grads really sit back and question what they just did in school.

Back
Top Bottom