*'11-'12 LAKERS Thread; 41-25* 1st Rd: DEN (go to 1st Rd. Thread)

people need to relax, Mitch isn't stupid
be patient, I'm sure he has his reasons for this. Let's sit back and wait to see what the next moves are

i appreciate odom for his time here but how he acted was flat unacceptable.

i understand he was upset and all but the lakers were well within their right to trade him in the chris paul trade.

same way lamar was well within his right to strongly consider signing with the heat last season when he was a free agent and had he signed with them i'd have no hard feelings at all.

Originally Posted by tupac003

Originally Posted by knightngale

Mitch should resign if he did this just cause he was pissed at Odom.

This trade is worse than Memphis giving up gasol for Kwame. At least memphis got Marc Gasol out of the deal.

Doubt Mitch made the call on his own...
well that means he can not do his job due to jim buss or stern

i would resign

Lakers Set Sights On Dwight Howard
Dec 11, 2011 12:15 AM EST

The Lakers have pulled out of Chris Paul trade talks and will trade Lamar Odom to the Mavericks for a traded player exception that was acquired for Tyson Chandler.

Dallas will send unspecified draft considerations to the Lakers.

"The Lakers are shifting toward trying to make a Dwight Howard deal."

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/Yahoo! Sports (via Twitter)

Read more: http://basketball.realgm....ght_Howard#ixzz1gClxNsPJ

Originally Posted by GuttaGetsBusy

358vw1w.gif
laugh.gif

Stern revenge for the Lakers

http://espn.go.com/blog/l...llas-for-trade-exception

Report: Lakers out of Chris Paul derby, will trade Odom to Dallas for trade exception
December, 10, 2011
DEC 10
9:48
PM PT
EmailPrintComments
By Brian Kamenetzky
ESPN.com
Archive
Again, I quote Chris Paul. "WoW."

Via ESPN.com's Marc Stein:
"The Los Angeles Lakers have pulled out of the three-team deal with New Orleans and Houston that would have landed Chris Paul in L.A., according to sources close to the talks. The reason for the Lakers' withdrawal was not immediately known... One source close to the process said that the Lakers will instead trade Lamar Odom to the Dallas Mavericks."

The deal would net the Lakers an $8.9 million trade exception from Dallas, and "unspecified draft considerations," essentially allowing them to trade for a player making $8.9 million without sending a player with comparable salary in return. Obviously things are only beginning to play out, but here are some in-the-moment thoughts:

1. The Lakers are clearly moving to another option, in terms of acquiring a high profile player. Despite reports today he's asking to be traded to New Jersey, in flashing neon lights it seems to signal Dwight Howard.

2. I find it impossible to believe the Lakers would make this move without having the dominoes lined up. Or at least without having purchased a package of dominoes, with a really, really good idea of how they'd like to line them up. Remember, they're handing Odom to the team eliminating them from last season's playoffs. It strengthens the Mavericks, a team that just lost Tyson Chandler and will soon lose J.J. Barea.

The only way the Lakers throw Mark Cuban a life preserver is if they believe the payoff is worth it.

3. The Lakers would have acquired the same exception in the original deal for Paul, so it's likely an important component in whatever they'd like to do next.

4. The trade exception can't be offered to Orlando in an effort to absorb their toxic Hedo Turkoglu contract. It's worth only $8.9 million, while Hedo makes couch cushion money over $11 mil. But it can be used to acquire a player who might be flipped to Orlando, as part of a Howard deal, or in a different trade for another piece.

5. Or-- and this is pure speculation (pure, pure, pure speculation) the Lakers could offer Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol to Orlando for Howard and Hedo (Trade Machine approves!), and then use that exception to fill one of the many roster holes they'd have left once that was done. Would this make them a better team? Impossible to say without knowing how they plug those gaps.

That said, keeping in mind the quality of the team they will have blown up, creating something better is a very difficult task. Kobe+Howard+spare parts is not better than Kobe Bryant+Gasol+Bynum+Odom.

Meaning for Lakers fans, this is simultaneously exciting and frightening. In a week or two, Jim Buss is likely either going to look brilliant, or there will be many a torch and pitchfork outside the facility in El Segundo.

Unbelievable.

But as far as Lamar is concerned, I mean, dude was definitely butt hurt over being trade bait. I'm sure in the talks between him and Mitch, Lamar was singing songs like "Oh, I thought I was really important to you," and Mitch just got this 'jilted lover' feel from Lamar, so he pulled the old Ari Gold '@+*@', and I can't blame Mitch.

And I like Lamar. But you have to understand the business. You're not Kobe. You're not Chris Paul. You're not Dwight Howard. You're upset that you won't retire in LA? Well if you like being in LA that much, should've worked harder before. Sixth man of the year? Awesome… but sixth man of the year doesn't make a team want to keep you until you retire.

Averaging a double-double might've done it; hell, you're 7 feet.

You want to make sure a team knows they need you? Then go out there and show… that they need you.

You didn't do that. So you were talked about in a major trade to acquire someone who does play on an elite level, which you don't. You want to sulk about all that, and play that "How could you?" role?

Then like Ari said: G… T… F… O

*cue gif*

Originally Posted by ledafuture36

http://espn.go.com/blog/l...llas-for-trade-exception

Report: Lakers out of Chris Paul derby, will trade Odom to Dallas for trade exception
December, 10, 2011
DEC 10
9:48
PM PT
EmailPrintComments
By Brian Kamenetzky
ESPN.com
Archive
Again, I quote Chris Paul. "WoW."

Via ESPN.com's Marc Stein:
"The Los Angeles Lakers have pulled out of the three-team deal with New Orleans and Houston that would have landed Chris Paul in L.A., according to sources close to the talks. The reason for the Lakers' withdrawal was not immediately known... One source close to the process said that the Lakers will instead trade Lamar Odom to the Dallas Mavericks."

The deal would net the Lakers an $8.9 million trade exception from Dallas, and "unspecified draft considerations," essentially allowing them to trade for a player making $8.9 million without sending a player with comparable salary in return. Obviously things are only beginning to play out, but here are some in-the-moment thoughts:

1. The Lakers are clearly moving to another option, in terms of acquiring a high profile player. Despite reports today he's asking to be traded to New Jersey, in flashing neon lights it seems to signal Dwight Howard.

2. I find it impossible to believe the Lakers would make this move without having the dominoes lined up. Or at least without having purchased a package of dominoes, with a really, really good idea of how they'd like to line them up. Remember, they're handing Odom to the team eliminating them from last season's playoffs. It strengthens the Mavericks, a team that just lost Tyson Chandler and will soon lose J.J. Barea.

The only way the Lakers throw Mark Cuban a life preserver is if they believe the payoff is worth it.

3. The Lakers would have acquired the same exception in the original deal for Paul, so it's likely an important component in whatever they'd like to do next.

4. The trade exception can't be offered to Orlando in an effort to absorb their toxic Hedo Turkoglu contract. It's worth only $8.9 million, while Hedo makes couch cushion money over $11 mil. But it can be used to acquire a player who might be flipped to Orlando, as part of a Howard deal, or in a different trade for another piece.

5. Or-- and this is pure speculation (pure, pure, pure speculation) the Lakers could offer Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol to Orlando for Howard and Hedo (Trade Machine approves!), and then use that exception to fill one of the many roster holes they'd have left once that was done. Would this make them a better team? Impossible to say without knowing how they plug those gaps.

That said, keeping in mind the quality of the team they will have blown up, creating something better is a very difficult task. Kobe+Howard+spare parts is not better than Kobe Bryant+Gasol+Bynum+Odom.

Meaning for Lakers fans, this is simultaneously exciting and frightening. In a week or two, Jim Buss is likely either going to look brilliant, or there will be many a torch and pitchfork outside the facility in El Segundo.

Agree 
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
 This doesn't look good at all. Will wait and see what happens. I was hoping we can use the draft pick(s) and Bynum to get Dwight and be able to keep Pau Gasol still.

Originally Posted by Lizaker4Lizife

people need to relax, Mitch isn't stupid
be patient, I'm sure he has his reasons for this. Let's sit back and wait to see what the next moves are

THIS......some of y'all dudes #+#%! and moan entirely too often. You complain for 7 years about dude, and as soon as he's traded away you start whining again
30t6p3b.gif
. And despite what ppl want to think, Lamar didn't get traded away "for nothing".....he got traded away for a 1st round draft pick, a draft pick we'll probably never see, but valuable enough to be included in a trade.

What was NJ supposedly offering? Lopez and a couple picks

I AM SOOOO ANGRY RIGHT NOW!

STERN REJECTED 2 OFFERS TODAY!

THE NBA NEEDS TO FIRE HIM IMMEDIATELY!

How can he honestly trade Paul to anyone at this point. I hope Paul sues Stern for everything he is worth.

Lakers front office better have somethin up thier sleeve. LO had to go. I appreciate what he's given to the Lakers but after that interview it was over. If this doesn't lead to them gettin Dwight Ima be pissed.

Oh yeah, **#@ David Stern and Dan Gilbert. I don't even feel like supporting this league rightnow.

Let's trade Odom to the team that just swept us. Yeah, let's do that. What?! Get outta here! 
indifferent.gif
 I'd like to keep Pau and trade Bynum plus a filler. Are we trying to trade both? That's not a good look for us. Damn. Honestly, I've lost hope when we hired Mike Brown. F Jim Buss!

Don't forget F#$% Cuban who was right there with Gilbert and then we give him LO. Mitch is an IDIOT!

NBA Refused To Sign Off On Paul Trade Again On Saturday
Dec 11, 2011 12:23 AM EST

With Chris Paul three-team trade talks between the Hornets, Lakers and Rockets falling apart, Dell Demps will need to return to the negotiating table with other teams.

But the way the NBA killed Thursday's agreed upon trade will make it difficult for teams to trust the process.

"My initial reaction is, 'Who wants to go through that headache with the NBA playing God?'" said a front office executive of the situation.

The front office and coaching staff of the Hornets is understandably devastated over what has transpired since Thursday, culminating in their deal with the Lakers falling apart.

The Hornets delivered a reconstructed deal on Saturday, but the NBA still refused to approve it.

Los Angeles was going to receive Paul, along with Jason Smith and Marcus Banks, who would arrive via sign-and-trade.

Houston agreed to send Kevin Martin, Luis Scola and a 2012 first round pick to the Hornets.

The Lakers would send Lamar Odom to the Hornets, Pau Gasol to the Rockets, and the Lakers were pursuing a first round pick to include for the Hornets.

The NBA was clearly dictating terms of the possible trade of Paul to the Lakers.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/Yahoo! Sports (via Twitter)

Read more: http://basketball.realgm....n_Saturday#ixzz1gCsnaOc3

I'm gonna have toi reserve judgement until we see the next move that's made.

Either way Odom had to be moved. I don't think we got "equal value" in return though. Hopefully, Mitch does something.

In the end i think the 2 teams that'll be screwed at the end of this mess is 1) N.O, nobody's gonna want to deal with them for cp3 as long as stern overseeing their basketball operations. 2) The team desperate enough to deal for cp3 without having a long term commitment from him, only with the hopes of him re-signing with them

Good move to pull out of the CP3 trade talks.
Now they need to get the Dwight Howard trade done. Even if it mean giving up Bynum & Gasol.

Use the trade exception on Paul Milsap, then pickup Chanucey Billups for cheap since he was amnesty cut by the Knicks and says he wants to play for a contender and a shot at another ring.

Originally Posted by FinallyFamous

You guys even think CP3 & Kobe could've co-existed anyway?
I don't think CP really wants to play with bryant to be honest. I just get a sense that he wants to beat bryant not help him but I cld be wrong.

Originally Posted by Iamjusayn

Originally Posted by FinallyFamous

You guys even think CP3 & Kobe could've co-existed anyway?
I don't think CP really wants to play with bryant to be honest. I just get a sense that he wants to beat bryant not help him but I cld be wrong.
False. CP3 and Kobe are great friends, there was even word that Kobe was going to meet CP3 at the airport before Stern killed the deal.

Back
Top Bottom