1st LGBT k-12 grade school to open in Atlanta 9/2016

What type of parent would send their kid to a school like this? What kinda teachers are at this school? This **** just sounds funny.

Maybe a parent that realizes their kid is being bullied? Instead of brushing it off like all children need to endure that type of treatment they rather them in a safe environment where they can just focus on school

For me I think it should just be a high school or even grades 6 through 12, Kindergarten is way too early.

Another thing is 'gay schools' have been around for a long time, they're usually called art and design schools :lol:

Last edited:

It would be in atlanta
laugh.gif

$13,000 tuition doe
laugh.gif

K-12 doe like kindergartners even have anywhere near a realistic grasp on sex
laugh.gif

You know how many ****** I knew found girls icky until a certain grade?
laugh.gif

Parents gonna be sending their little ones there thinking they gay instead of just being immature
b803718fea5c15437592b1986e696bfd.gif
-Atlanta has a lot of gay people, we get it, I think it is a positive because homosexuals have a city they can choose to live in, and feel welcomed

-$13,000 is not outrageous for a private school

-They but this school is a K-12 famb. So I would think many teenagers past puberty, have some idea about what sex there are attracted too.

-All students are welcomed, if a parent might send there child there to expose them to different people so they can became a more emphatic person.

And if a parent send there child there thinking he or she is gay, but turns out they weren't, what is the harm in that?
Pump them brakes fam. Did I say anything about teenagers? I clearly said kindergartners.

And my comment on sending your kids there thinking they're gay was just an observation I found funny.

I was always into girls but a couple guys I knew weren't until they hit a certain point in their very young lives.

I think it's funny if a parent sends them there thinking they're gay when in reality they're just immature.

I never expressed any problem with it. I even posted a seinfeld gif expressing my lack of a problem with it.

You're right about the tuition though. My sister's compared to this school's is egregious. If she didn't get financial aid
sick.gif

Issues.

1. K-12? Sexual identity doesn't really develop until 8 (at least thats when it did for me) and didn't actually matter until high school.  I think making it just a high school would be more appropriate.

2. Safe spaces? The time I've spent on tumblr the more i've become sure that safe spaces are some of the most abused concepts out there. Its one thing if you meet one a week to talk to like minded people. It's another to constantly surround yourself with people who think like you, and to believe that everyone who doesn't think like you is a moron. safe spaces in their current form do nothing except create a bubble from the outside world. You don't learn to socialize in other contexts, you don't learn to manage opposing views, you don't learn to exist outside of a very specific social setting. as a result we get kids who think "emotional safety" trumps free speech.

A better idea would be to create an afterschool program where LGBTQ kids can just chill and be themselves rather than sheltering them from the real world.

Last edited:
why do people send their kids to all boys/girls school?

interacting with the other gender is an important part of life 

2. Safe spaces? The time I've spent on tumblr the more i've become sure that safe spaces are some of the most abused concepts out there. Its one thing if you meet one a week to talk to like minded people. It's another to constantly surround yourself with people who think like you, and to believe that everyone who doesn't think like you is a moron. safe spaces in their current form do nothing except create a bubble from the outside world. You don't learn to socialize in other contexts, you don't learn to manage opposing views, you don't learn to exist outside of a very specific social setting. as a result we get kids who think "emotional safety" trumps free speech.

So what is your view on going to a HBCU?

Just because they're gay doesn't mean they don't have opposing views, no one is the same.

Last edited:

why do people send their kids to all boys/girls school?

interacting with the other gender is an important part of life 
At least for the male perspective there is interesting research and debate surrounding all boys education.

Right now a lot of young children are being diagnosed with ADHD at alarming rates. Boys more than girls are being disproportionately affected. It's not because our gender is at risk for ADHD, its because behaviourly girls develop a lot quicker than boys, it's just science. however, teachers usually see the difference in behavior as cause for psychological concern. And guess who teaches most lower/elementary/primary school education? Women. They can't fathom why the boys cant sit still while the girls sit quietly. they immediately make it a psychological issue.

Issues.

1. K-12? Sexual identity doesn't really develop until 8 (at least thats when it did for me) and didn't actually matter until high school.  I think making it just a high school would be more appropriate.

A better idea would be to create an afterschool program where LGBTQ kids can just chill and be themselves rather than sheltering them from the real world.

And what do we do about the 7 hours a day where a homosexual or trans kid might be getting harassed.

And did you read the article brah? The school is open to all kids, with a focus on the LBGTGA. I don't see how everyone would be of like mind given this fact

There is nothing wrong with safe spaces when they are saving folk from harassment, bullying and being being marginalized IMO

-Secondly, grade schools need to be some sort of safe place for students, especially free from harassment, so they can focus on learning.

At universities, we relax the constraints so people can interactive with people from all walks of life. As a transition into the real world

When when folk leave school, all the training wheels are off

Last edited:

Just because they're gay doesn't mean they don't have opposing views, no one is the same.
Of course no one is the same. Safe spaces however don't allow for discourse. in their current way of being used to discourage dissent. Any other ideas are seen as being "damaging" and "toxic".  If that is the sort of safe space we're talking about then I'm not for it.

HBCU's weren't founded on the same principles as "safe spaces". HBCU's were founded because white people would not allow black people in their establishments. As a result, we had to build them ourselves. that is not the same as creating a space specifically for the blocking out of alternate ideas. I think you're making a false equivalency here.

Of course no one is the same. Safe spaces however don't allow for discourse. in their current way of being used to discourage dissent. Any other ideas are seen as being "damaging" and "toxic".  If that is the sort of safe space we're talking about then I'm not for it.

HBCU's weren't founded on the same principles as "safe spaces". HBCU's were founded because white people would not allow black people in their establishments. As a result, we had to build them ourselves. that is not the same as creating a space specifically for the blocking out of alternate ideas. I think you're making a false equivalency here.

How is this school "blocking out alternate ideas"

Explain this to me famb

Last edited:
I think this is a great idea for students who face lots of bullying due to their sexuality.

It's a bit strange to me that they didn't start from the 6th or 7th grade up to 12th grade.

From my experience with gay people (I studied/worked with quite a few gay men during my time at nursing school and internships) they've told me they realized they were different at a pretty early age but didn't really know what they were experiencing until the 5th or 6th grade.

I don't see why someone would send their kid to an LGBT school before they've grasped the idea of sexuality and homosexuality but I also don't see a problem with it, it's not like they're gonna force a gay agenda on the kids and somehow make them gay, that idea is ridiculous. I don't think the first few grades up to the 5th or 6th will be much, if at all, different from any other school. 

As the school's focused on the LGBT community the kids would probably get a much more in depth explanation of sexuality when they become of age, regardless of whether they're gay or straight. My school never even talked about homosexuality when we had the talk about sexuality in the 5th or 6th grade, I don't exactly recall.

You telling me a kid knows their sexual orientation when they are in Kindergarten? Nah fam, parents going to be sending their kids to this school almost wanting them to be LGBT. I get things may be tough for them in a normal school, but life is going to hit them one way or another.

I understand the reason HBCUs were created then but I'm talking about currently. Plenty of black people attend HBCUs because they feel comfortable in that environment. They feel more welcomed and understood around their people. Why don't they just go to PWI and accept alternate ideas?

It would be in atlanta :lol:

$13,000 tuition doe :lol:

K-12 doe like kindergartners even have anywhere near a realistic grasp on sex :lol:

You know how many ****** I knew found girls icky until a certain grade? :lol:

Parents gonna be sending their little ones there thinking they gay instead of just being immature
b803718fea5c15437592b1986e696bfd.gif

-Atlanta has a lot of gay people, we get it, I think it is a positive because homosexuals have a city they can choose to live in, and feel welcomed

-$13,000 is not outrageous for a private school

-They but this school is a K-12 famb. So I would think many teenagers past puberty, have some idea about what sex there are attracted too.

-All students are welcomed, if a parent might send there child there to expose them to different people so they can became a more emphatic person.

And if a parent send there child there thinking he or she is gay, but turns out they weren't, what is the harm in that?

Pump them brakes fam. Did I say anything about teenagers? I clearly said kindergartners.
And my comment on sending your kids there thinking they're gay was just an observation I found funny.
I was always into girls but a couple guys I knew weren't until they hit a certain point in their very young lives.
I think it's funny if a parent sends them there thinking they're gay when in reality they're just immature.
I never expressed any problem with it. I even posted a seinfeld gif expressing my lack of a problem with it.
You're right about the tuition though. My sister's compared to this school's is egregious. If she didn't get financial aid :x

By bad famb, wasn't tryna put words in your mouth

Even though there are some parents that our out there, I would like to believe most would take his decision more seriously, since $13,000 is on the line.

The private school down the street from me old house was charging around 40K :x

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'll never understand how you seriously engage a little kid regarding their sexuality, it's a child they don't know what they want for lunch but they know they're gay?

"And if a parent send there child there thinking he or she is gay, but turns out they weren't, what is the harm in that?"

Yea no way that would impact a kid :rofl:

Issues.

And what do we do about the 7 hours a day where a homosexual or trans kid might be getting harassed.

And did you read the article brah? The school is open to all kids, with a focus on the LBGTGA.

There is nothing wrong with safe spaces when they are saving folk from harassment, bullying and being being marginalized IMO

-Secondly, grade schools need to be some sort of safe place for students, especially free from harassment, so they can focus on learning.

At universities, we relax the constraints so people can interactive with people from all walks of life. As a transition into the real world

When when folk leave school, all the training wheels are off
i suppose I'm projecting my experiences onto this school. Both online and in life I know people who take radical and extreme positions on the idea of safe spaces. they literally expect life to meet them on their own terms or else they aren't interested. Literally wishing death on people who just don't have experience with the LGBTQ community. safe spaces to me have been abused and grown out of proportion. For sure I agree that kids should not be harassed about something they cant change. They defintiely should just go to a school so they can learn in peace. i guess I'm just worrying that the outcome will be more of the same that I've experienced. People who cannot understand and interact with people who have had vastly different life experiences and who dont apply nuance and context to their interactions. I'm just saying I've seen the result when safe spaces go too far and I think its bound to happen in a school like this.

How is this school "blocking out alternate ideas"

Explain this to me famb
Like i said above, I've experienced these safe space kids where they literally cannot fathom a viewpoint inconsistent with their own on a wide range of issues. And thats because they've rarely experienced other viewpoints. thats my concern.

Last edited:
You telling me a kid knows their sexual orientation when they are in Kindergarten? Nah fam, parents going to be sending their kids to this school almost wanting them to be LGBT. I get things may be tough for them in a normal school, but life is going to hit them one way or another.
Do you think that this school is gonna force homosexuality on kids in kindergarten? 
laugh.gif

I doubt this school will be much different, if at all, than an other school in the first few grades up to the 5th or 6th grade when they get the talk about sexuality.

Last edited:
Yea no way that would impact a kid :rofl:

Idk but I never heard of a straight person committing suicide because they were around gay people.

:lol:

To be fair, I don't think gay people commit suicide because they're surrounded by straight people. If anything, I think gay people commit suicide because of how the straight people around them treat them.

Last edited:
I don‘t think creating a school catered towards a specific orientation to be a bad thing, but trying to start it at the elementary level is a bit early.

We have private schools with specific religious teachings as well, but orientation deals with sexual preference and a lot of this comes when puberty hits. Not sure how the B and T will fare in this.

People are extremely quick to judge with out recourse though. What specific curriculum does this school offer that makes it so different than others.

People have to also understand that this is a LGBT school.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom