2009 football/soccer summer transfer rumors

I'd see Riquelme as a Viera type player...Limited movement but slotting through balls to the wings. Dude also has one of the more ruthless free kicks inthe game. Again I don't see how this = disaster.

Originally Posted by BrOwNiN187

I'd see Riquelme as a Viera type player...Limited movement but slotting through balls to the wings. Dude also has one of the more ruthless free kicks in the game. Again I don't see how this = disaster.
@@%? do you even watch soccer?

1. riquelme and vieira are nothing alike.
2. vieira at arsenal was a box to box midfielder, and perhaps the best one during that time. he has limited movement now, but he still plays in a totallydifferent position than riquelme.
3. riquelme is an attacking central midfielder who operates in the final third of the pitch.
4. vieira slotted balls to the wing to link defense and attack. riquelme's job is to provide the final ball for goal.
5. yes, riquelme has a ruthless free kick, but i don't see how that's relevant to whether or not he'd do well in the premier league.
6. riquelme needs time on the ball to pick a pass, thread a through ball, or whatever. he's not going to be afforded that kind of time in the premierleague. that's why you see a lot of playmakers operate on the wings. he'll be wasted on the wings because he's too slow.
7. vieira thrived on being a physical beast. his height, length, stamina along with his running and tackling made him so imposing. riquelme is anything butthat.
8. disaster might be an overstatement. but the premier league is just not a good fit for his skillsets. re: veron 2001-2004.

roll.gif

did i say viera at arsenal son? negative. you keep talking in a past tense like i specifically said patrick viera in 2002.

if you watch viera now he chills as a CM...if you looked at my original post you'd see that I said riquelme's skill would translate to the prem as aCM.

obviously he's slow, but i didn't mention no where that riquelme has blistering speed that will open up a game. if you put riquelme as your traditionalCM he'd create magic on that team. all that fire power on the wings to feed to along with adebeayor at CF if he wanted to 1-2 off of him.
and where did you get this idea that riquelme holds onto the ball too long? dude's one touch and go is still potent if you watched boca games.

think about all the set pieces created off fouls in the EPL....man city would create way more goals in that facet of play with a guy like riquelme decisionmaking.

i think you need to take a breather..read and stop gettin so emotional when someone doesn't agree with you

you keep asking if i watch soccer...you're obviously just a watcher and not a player....keep them eyes on the footy tube and chill on the fifabuddy....someone will put you on their house league team if you don't play like riquelme apparentley so you already know what not to do...

Originally Posted by Henri2310

I post sometimes inconsistently on NT but lately the only thing Ive posted is in this thread and was wondering if there was an official EPL thread for the season? And if not is anyone up for starting one?
That and what happened to the fantasy league?
grin.gif

EDIT: Made an EPL thread http://niketalk.com/topic/201696

Originally Posted by AirMaxin1

Originally Posted by Henri2310

I post sometimes inconsistently on NT but lately the only thing Ive posted is in this thread and was wondering if there was an official EPL thread for the season? And if not is anyone up for starting one?
That and what happened to the fantasy league?
grin.gif

EDIT: Made an EPL thread http://niketalk.com/topic/201696

I found that one.

A fantasy league would be good, ESPN or the EPL website maybe?

Originally Posted by BrOwNiN187

did i say viera at arsenal son? negative. you keep talking in a past tense like i specifically said patrick viera in 2002.

if you watch viera now he chills as a CM...if you looked at my original post you'd see that I said riquelme's skill would translate to the prem as a CM.

obviously he's slow, but i didn't mention no where that riquelme has blistering speed that will open up a game. if you put riquelme as your traditional CM he'd create magic on that team. all that fire power on the wings to feed to along with adebeayor at CF if he wanted to 1-2 off of him.
and where did you get this idea that riquelme holds onto the ball too long? dude's one touch and go is still potent if you watched boca games.

think about all the set pieces created off fouls in the EPL....man city would create way more goals in that facet of play with a guy like riquelme decision making.

i think you need to take a breather..read and stop gettin so emotional when someone doesn't agree with you

you keep asking if i watch soccer...you're obviously just a watcher and not a player....keep them eyes on the footy tube and chill on the fifa buddy....someone will put you on their house league team if you don't play like riquelme apparentley so you already know what not to do...
roll.gif
ok.

we'll just have to agree to disagree.

any everton fans in here? any speculation on who's going to replace lescott?

Lets kill the Riquelme discussion...he isn't going to England anyways
laugh.gif

Is the deadline on the 31st or the 1st? A few big moves usually happen on deadline day...nothing interesting seems imminent at the moment.

31st, i believe.

remember last year when the robinho deal happened on the deadline? i thought i was seeing things.

Originally Posted by zizou

31st, i believe.

remember last year when the robinho deal happened on the deadline? i thought i was seeing things.
Yeah, and the year Tevez went to West Ham...I go on soccernet.com and was like "WEST HAM?" while starring at my screen for 5 minutes...Iwas dumbfounded
laugh.gif

0940 BST: Inter Milan have agreed to sign Real Madrid midfielder Wesley Sneijder in a deal worth about 16m Euros. Sneijder had been linked with ManchesterUnited and Aston Villa. (AFP)

0832 BST: Tottenham's have had their loan offer for Le Havre midfielder Kevin Anin rejected by the French club. (L'Equipe)

0820 BST: Everton have been knocked back in their efforts to replace Joleon Lescott with Benfica's Brazilian central defender Luisao. (Portuguesepress)

Keep an eye on the gossip column throughout the day for updates and breaking news during the transfer window.

http:// TRANSFER GOSSIP

Spartak Moscow have made a £10m offer to re-sign Tottenham striker Roman Pavlyuchenko.
Full story: TheMirror

Ipswich manager Roy Keane is to raid his former club for four players with Carlos Edwards, Grant Leadbitter, Daryl Murphy and Nyron Nosworthy set to leaveSunderland.
Fullstory: The Mirror

Striker Andriy Shevchenko finally looks set to leave Chelsea after he was left out of their Champions League squad.
Full story:The Mirror

Chelsea are set to re-ignite their interest in Feyenoord forward Jonathan de Guzman.
Full story: The Mirror

Aston Villa are closing in on a double swoop for Blackburn defender Stephen Warnock and Manchester City centre-back Richard Dunne.

Middlesbrough are set to sign striker Danny Webber who was released by Sheffield United in the summer.

Bolton have launched a bid to re-sign midfielder Kevin Nolan from Newcastle United.

Sunderland are set to launch a £6m bid for Hull defender Michael Turner.
Full story: DailyMail

Brazilian side Internacional have rejected a £14m bid from Tottenham for midfielder Sandro.
Full story: TheIndependent

Celtic captain Steve McManus has rejected the opportunity to join Ipswich Town on loan. (The Guardian)

Notts County director of football Sven Goran Eriksson has failed in his bid to tempt Czech midfielder Pavel Nedved out of retirement.
Fullstory: Daily Mail

Manchester United are set to sign Empoli's Italian duo Manuel Pucciarelli and Alberto Masacci. (Daily Telegraph)

Wigan are ready to make a £1m move for Honduras forward Carlos Costly, who currently plays for Polish side GKS Belchatow. (DailyTelegraph)

Birmingham are set to sign Middlesbrough forward Tuncay for £5m. (Daily Mail)

Stoke are lining up a £5m bid for young Uruguay midfielder Diego Arismendi.

The Potters have also made a renewed offer for Cardiff City midfielder Joe Ledley. (The Times)

Bolton have had a £6.5m offer for midfielder Achille Emana turned down by Real Betis. (The Times)

Fulham are poised to sign Salzburg striker Marc Janko on a season-long loan.
Fullstory: The Mirror

Hull are interested in signing Reading defender Liam Rosenior.

Reading manager Brendan Rodgers is hoping Watford striker Tommy Smith will snub interest from Portsmouth and instead join the Royals.
Full story: The Sun

Greek champions Olympiakos are ready to take Tottenham forward Giovani dos Santos on loan. (Daily Star)

Former England manager Glenn Hoddle believes David Beckham should pursue a move to Chelsea to keep alive his dream of playing at next year's World Cup.
Full story: Daily Star

http:// OTHER GOSSIP

New Portsmouth owner Sulaiman Al Fahim has vowed to turn the club into a major Premier League force after finally taking control of the south coastoutfit.

http:// AND FINALLY
Furious Celtic players have called for Eduardo to be banned after the Arsenal striker appeared to dive to win a penalty during the Gunners'3-1 Champions League victory on Wednesday.
Full story: DailyMail

Disappointed.. Ribery has something to do with this, certainly. We should at least get Ribery or David Silva next summer.

yeah,i'd agree with you guys...Ribery looks set to leave...
Robben to Bayern...
frown.gif
at United missing out on another good player...

ottenham boss Harry Redknapp is keen to swoop for former Portsmouth midfielder Sulley Muntari from Inter Milan, using Jermaine Jenas as bait to lurethe Ghana international. (The Sun) Full story: The Sun
Meanwhile, Redknapp has been told only a cash bid will persuade French club Le Harve to part with midfielder Kevin Anin. (The Sun) Full story: The Sun

Birmingham are tracking Spurs midfielder Jamie O'Hara as an alternative should their £2.5m move for Sporting Gijon's Michel fall through.(Daily Mail) Full story: DailyMail

Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti is considering a move for Feyenoord's Canadian-born Dutch midfielder Jonathan de Guzman, on the recommendation ofChelsea's sporting director, Frank Arnesen. (The Guardian) Full story: The Guardian

Sunderland boss Steve Bruce has inquired about the services of Hull centre-back Michael Turner, while Ghana defender John Mensah will arrive at theStadium of Light on a season-long loan from French club Lyon. (Guardian)

Bruce will offer Nyron Nosworthy and Daryl Murphy plus £6m to land the £12m-rated Turner. (The Sun) Full story: The Sun

Meanwhile, Bruce is planning another raid on former club Wigan with a £5m bid for left-back Maynor Figueroa. (Daily Mail) Fullstory: The Sun

Alan Shearer wants Cardiff's £6m-rated striker Michael Chopra to mark his return as Newcastle boss as part of businessman Barry Moat's takeover atSt James's Park. (Daily Star) Full story: Daily Star

The Magpies are discussing a deal for Tottenham left-back Gareth Bale on a season-long loan, but the Championship side are only prepared to pay asmall percentage of the left-back's wages. (Guardian)

Middlesbrough have rejected a £6m bid from Everton for centre-back David Wheater. (Daily Mail) Full story: Daily Mail

Toffees boss David Moyes also wants Atletico Madrid's Netherlands international defender Johnny Hettinga, as well as Celtic midfielder ScottBrown. Moyes is also keen to take Tottenham midfielder David Bentley on loan. (The Times) Full story: The Times

Fulham manager Roy Hodgson is hunting Kosice's £2m-rated Slovakian striker Jan Novak. (Daily Mirror) Full story: The Mirror

Stoke boss Tonly Pulis is set to continue his spending spree after tabling a £2.5m bid for Sunderland defender Danny Collins. (The Sun) Full story: The Sun

The Potters also had a £10m offer for Trinidad and Tobago striker Kenwyn Jones reject by Sunderland. (Daily Mail) Full story: Daily Mail

Hull manager Phil Brown is eyeing a move for Poland international right-back Marcin Wasilewski from Belgian club Anderlecht. (The Sun) Full story: The Sun

Portsmouth's new owner Sulaiman al-Fahim could fund a minor spending spree with the acquisition of Ivory Coast striker Aruna Dindane for £4m from Lens,while bids have been placed for Watford defender Mike Williamson and Vitoria de Guimaraes' Nuno Assis. (Daily Mail) Full story:Daily Mail

However, Al-Fahim's deal to buy Portsmouth has yet to be signed off by the Premier League. (Guardian) Full story: The Guardian

Manchester United defender Jonny Evans is set to undergo ankle surgery - but only after playing for Northern Ireland against Poland and Slovakia in earlySeptember. (Daily Mirror)

Birmingham City boss Alex McLeish has defended his decision to turn down a move for Wilson Palacios in 2007 - even after Spurs paid Wigan £12m forthe Honduras international. "I saw Wilson play in a Birmingham Cup game against Banbury and he looked OK, nothing more than that." (DailyMail)

I also think that Robben to Bayern is the lead-up to Ribery to Real next summer.

What a terrible summer for Real's Dutch contingent. Sneijder, VDV, Huntelaar, Robben, v. Nistelrooy all tossed aside.

I think that tomorrow's Arsenal/Man Utd. match may have an affect on Wenger/Ferguson's transfer strategy heading towards the deadline. An Arsenal winat Old Trafford and Wenger can proudly proclaim that his team is ready to take on anyone in Europe and is good enough as is. A Man Utd. loss to a young Arsenalteam could be an indication to Ferguson that his team needs some serious help. The same thing applies if Man Utd. beat Arsenal...Man Utd. will feel good aboutbeating a team that has gotten off to such a hot start and a loss to a Ronaldo-less Man Utd. may indicate to Wenger that his team still isn't good enoughto beat the best.

0923 BST: Sunderland have accepted a bid from Stoke City for defender Danny Collins.
Full story: Sky Sports

0937 BST: New Portsmouth recruit Tommy Smith has put in a good word for his former Watford team-mate Mike Williamson, after the defender was alsolinked with a move to Fratton Park. (Press Association)

Everton's bid to complete a loan deal for Valencia's Argentine midfielder Ever Banega has hit problems because his club cannot find areplacement for the 21-year-old.
Full story: Daily Mail

But Moyes is set to seal a £5m deal for Atletico Madrid's 25-year-old Dutch defender John Heitinga, who arrives hot on the heels of £5.3m signingSylvain Distin.

Middlesbrough boss Gareth Southgate will swoop for Derby striker Rob Hulse to boost his forward line after Tuncay's departure to Stoke.(Daily Mirror)

Tottenham have told Zenit St Petersburg they are ready to accept £10m for striker Roman Pavlyuchenko.

Everton will ask Tottenham about taking David Bentley after being quoted £15m for the former Blackburn winger last week.
Full story: Daily Mirror

Bolton could swoop for Leeds United striker Jermaine Beckford for £3m, who would be free to leave Elland Road for nothing in the summer.
Full story: Independent

Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti has given his blessing for Andriy Shevchenko to leave the club before the close of the transfer window with theUkrainian striker expected to rejoin his former club Dynamo Kiev.
Full story: Times

Newcastle want Everton striker James Vaughan on loan because Shola Ameobi faces a month on the sidelines with a foot injury. (The Sun)

Sunderland boss Steve Bruce is believed to have offered Nyron Nosworthy and Daryl Murphy as part of a deal for Hull defender MichaelTurner.

Wigan have launched an audacious bid to take Celtic's Australian striker Scott McDonald on loan for the rest of the season.
Full story: Daily Record

Newcastle will attempt to prevent Kevin Nolan from rejoining Bolton Wanderers after Gary Megson announced his intention to take the midfielder onloan.
Full story: Northern Echo

Sunderland could provide England goalkeeper David James with the escape route out of Portsmouth.
Full story: Independent

Real Madrid could launch a fresh bid for Franck Ribery now Arjen Robben has gone to Bayern Munich while West Ham target Eidur Gudjonhson is beinglinked with a move to French club Monaco.
Full story: Marca

Wigan have launched a bid to take Celtic striker Scott McDonald on loan and talks have been held between the Glasgow club and agent Willie McKay. (DailyRecord)

Everton want to take Scotland right-back Alan Hutton on a season-long loan from Tottenham Hotspur. (The Sun)

Celtic manager Tony Mowbray, who said in the summer that Massimo Donati's transfer value was zero, says the midfielder's resurgence in form willlead to the club receiving £1.5m from Bari. (Daily Record)

Arsene Wenger has accused Uefa of a witch-hunt after they charged Eduardo with diving in the Champions League clash with Celtic.

Sir Alex Ferguson has warned midfielders Anderson and Michael Carrick their places in the Manchester United squad are not guaranteed and they cannot affordto rest on their laurels.
Full story: The Times

Fulham manager Roy Hodgson is the likely choice to boss Great Britain's 2012 Olympic team and is becoming a serious contender to succeed FabioCapello when he leaves the England job.

Fenerbahce's veteran Brazil defender Roberto Carlos has revealed he would like to team up with countryman Ronaldo at Corinthians once his contract atthe Turkish club ends.
Full story: Goal.com

Goalkeeper David James will get an England recall at the expense of Paul Robinson. (Daily Star)

Fulham boss Roy Hodgson has admitted he is surprised no club has yet bid for defender Brede Hangeland, but he is still keen to hang on to his prize asset.
Full story: Metro

Former Falkirk striker Steve Lovell is threatening to sue Eddie May after the present manager said in an interview that the player did not trainhard enough to merit a new contract. (The Sun)

Csaba Laszlo asked his players if he should quit as Hearts manager as a result of his row with owner Vladimir Romanov over their search for a new striker.(The Sun)

New Hibernian signing Anthony Stokes, Charlton's Izale MacLeod, Marek Saganowski, now with Aalborg, Craig Beattie, now at Swansea,Plymouth's Steven MacLean and Macedonian international Ilco Naumoski were the strikers targeted by Hearts manager Csaba Laszlo but rejected by theclub's owner. (The Sun)

Hearts manager Csaba Laszlo also wanted midfielder Liam Miller, now with Preston. (The Sun)

Such is the condition of Ledley King's knees, the only way the Spurs captain can keep fit is by cycling in the gym and having a 20-minuterun-out in training the day before a match.

1101 BST: Hull striker Daniel Cousin could be on his way to Burnley after the player's agent claimed an approach for a loan deal had been made. (PressAssociation)

0907 BST: Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola has ruled out the possibility of Robinho joining the European champions. (Press Association)

Tottenham, Sunderland and Stoke are locked in a three-way battle to sign Portsmouth goalkeeper David James before the transfer deadline.

Spurs will offer £8m to capture both James and Pompey midfielder Niko Kranjcar.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is still hopefully of concluding deals to bring Bordeaux striker Marouane Chamakh and Inter Milan's former Gunnersmidfielder Patrick Vieira to the Emirates.

West Ham and Wolves are both in talks to sign Valencia's 6ft 7in Serbian striker Nikola Zigic.

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill wants to sign either Matthew Upson or James Collins from West Ham before Tuesday's deadline.

Stoke are keen on bringing Manchester City winger Martin Petrov to the Britannia Stadium, but could face competition for his signature from Tottenham.
Full story: Daily Star

Everton are weighing up a move for Coventry goalkeeper Keiren Westwood.

Sunderland are in talks with Hull over a £9m swap deal for defender Michael Turner. The transfer could see Frazier Campbell move in the opposite direction.

Portsmouth are hoping to sign Aston Villa left-back Nicky Shorey.

Everton's £6m-move for Atletico Madrid defender Johnny Heitinga is in danger of collapsing over the player's large wage demands.

Blackburn have turned down a bid from Olympiakos for Norwegian winger Morten Gamst Pedersen.

Newcastle's Andy Carroll could be set for a surprise exit from St James' Park with Bolton and Wolves keen on the young striker.

Bolton are hoping to complete the loan signing of Nantes' Crotian forward Ivan Klasnic on Monday.

Nottingham Forest are keen to sign Sunderland defender Nyron Nosworthy on loan.

Wolves boss Mick McCarthy is battling to rush through a loan deal for Rapid Vienna striker Stefan Maierhofer.

Derby defender Jordan Stewart is in talks with Sheffield United over a possible move to Bramall Lane.

Chelsea defender John Terry will become the highest-paid player in the country after agreeing a new £8m-a-year deal with the London club.

Former Portsmouth boss Tony Adams has emerged as the top target to fill the hot seat at Championship side Barnsley.

Everton manager David Moyes has vowed to axe some of his Goodison flops following their poor start to the season.

The FA are to clamp down on footballers who goad rival supporters following a number of incidents this week of players criticised for celebrating in frontof opposition fans.

Fulham manager Roy Hodgson says he would love to coach Great Britain's 2012 Olympic team.

Arsenal's Arsene Wenger wasn't the only manager sent to the stands over the weekend. Former England boss Steve McClaren, now with FC Twentein Holland, suffered the same fate in his side's 1-1 draw with Feyenoord on Sunday. (Daily Star)

Tranmere manager John Barnes and his number two Jason McAteer have been nicknamed "Dumb and Dumber" by their own players. (The Sun)

i guess this is the last installment until january. i must say with the loss of ronaldo im NOT happy with saf's signings this summer. valencia,owen andobertan(who wont feature much) just wont cut it. owen and valencia together prob wont even hit 20 goals all competition let alone the 20 league goals ronaldowas averaging the last few seasons. i was hoping we'd atleast sign another attacking midfielder or another striker..guess that wont happen till january ornext summer after the wc. didn't even sign nuer who could have been an adequate replacement for van der saar. smh alex..smh.

Reports say Fabio Grosso has transfered from Lyon to Juve for a fee of 3mill. Finally our weakest position has be resolved....if true.

This means Juventus have a total of 8 member of the Italian National team that will be called up for the up coming WC Qualifiers, not including Del Piero

Milan and Inter have a combined total of 3.

Back
Top Bottom