2011 another great year for college football

Jayson Carter joined the Rice football team as a walk-on last week, and already he's the biggest thing on the field — mostly because he's the smallest thing.Carter, a running back, is 4-foot-9, 130 pounds, qualifying him for dwarfism according to an advocacy group, Little People of America, and making him one of the smallest players to ever play the game at any level.

rice_walkon_packs_big_heart_into_college_footballs_smallest_frame.jpg

eek.gif
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

I need to see that kid in the Wildcat. 
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

I also need to see these Depth Chart shows.  Is this on ESPNU, or what?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

Radio out here is sayin Cliff Harris is gonna get cleared.  They claim he was suspended license, but it was like by 3-4 more days, and he got the day wrong is all, and the car did in fact have insurance, so they say his only true infraction could be not wearing a seat belt.  If everyone believes his story about not knowing his license was still inactive for another couple days, he should be back on the team. 
You oughta peep that S&T grave-dig thread, see what I dug up for you

What is it about playing UVA in night games at home that gives Miami so much trouble?
laugh.gif
Seriously though their attendance is pathetic; I have no idea how anybody would want to play in that environment.

Even though UVA isn't a good team their D is actually very good; I think it's ranked in the top 20. They have some good young talent on offense too in Smith, Jennings and Terrell.

What does the coaching staff have against Lamar Miller? They did the same thing against us that they're doing tonight where they just inexplicably don't run the ball in the first half. They came out passing, it wasn't working. They get down 10-0 and act like they're down by 28
laugh.gif
In our game Miller had like 10 yards in the first half and 150 in the second. You'd think with such a huge OL and one of the best RB's in the country they would make that a focal point of the offense...

Originally Posted by Dade B0Y

4 drives inside the 20. Zero points.

sick.gif
sick.gif
 It's like they try and find ways to lose. I swear the OC is point shaving or something. Y'all need a new OC who doesn't hate Lamar Miller and a new DC that can teach guys how to tackle properly among many other things. 

laugh.gif
 @ the OC having something against Lamar Miller who was running soft for 3 quarters. 
laugh.gif
 @ the OC having something against Lamar Miller who was averaging less than 2 per carry in the previous 7 quarters.

OL was creating ZERO holes and getting pushed around. Run game wasn't working at all....the passing game was. 

Jacory threw for 300+ and 3 TD's and y'all want the OC to feed our back who was averaging 2 a pop behind an OL that was getting its #$!$ pushed in.... GTFOOH

I'm all for feeding Lamar when he's actually being productive and the OL is creating holes...but F that when neither are happening and the passing game IS actually being productive. 

Like our DC is the reason we have converted RB's and career backups at Wake Forest starting at CB. Like he's the reason we have no depth on the DL whatsoever because the previous staff failed to bring in any half decent DLinemen. 

This is the same DC who produced a top 15 defense at freaking Temple so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he's not the problem and maybe...just maybe...our players suck and we have very little talent on the defense. 

Or maybe it's the DC's fault that our "future 1st round pick" safety Ray Ray Armstrong is always freelancing, taking bad angles, and get abused in pass coverage.  Maybe it's also his fault that we only have two good LB's. One who is a true freshman and the other being Sean Spence. We have maybe three legit players on defense. 2 of which are true freshman. Yet it's the DC's fault like he recruited all these players.

Yeah we got outcoached and outplayed at home against freaking UVA but it didn't have #$!$ to do with our OC not giving Lamar Miller the ball. 
30t6p3b.gif

Our problems on defense stem from our lack of quality depth and talent. Specifically on the DL. Buddy Ryan couldn't do #$!$ with our defense. Our front four doesn't get pressure, LB's blow assignments, and the secondary is terrible in coverage. %!% you want him to do? 
30t6p3b.gif

Our problems on offense stem from the inconsistent OL play. Losing our OL coach to Bama last year came back to bite us big and Golden's biggest mistake so far was bringing back Kehoe as OL coach. Kehoe has managed to turn what should have been a top 10 OL in the NCAA into garbage. 
30t6p3b.gif
 3 All conference players on our OL and it looks like #$!$. Running backs getting hit in the backfield before they get to the line and no holes being opened and you all want to blame the OC for not running the ball with Lamar. 
30t6p3b.gif

With that gameplan of not feeding Lamar, the Canes were down 20-7 at half... To UVA...
You effectively make your defense worse than they already are.
If the defense sucks, there is a way to try and hide it ... its called ball control. Minimize the opponents opportunities.

9 carries to Lamar Miller thru Quarters is a Joke.

Especially when the defense (that everyone sees is deficient) was on the field as much as they were.

Miami's staff struggled tonite.

With that strategy we'd have just been down 20-0 at half instead of 20-7 trying to feed Lamar the ball when he nor our running game was effective but our passing game was.

You can't run a ball control offense when your offense is struggling to run the ball. You're going to have to score points and take your chances in a shootout because it's a given the D will give up points.

There was no point to stick with a struggling run game when you've got WR's getting open almost at will and a QB who is hot. UVA was stuffing the box and forcing us to beat them via pass...which we were doing. So no point in giving Lamar the ball more just for him to dance around and get stopped in the backfield.

We gave Lamar the ball twice on 3rd and short in the 4th quarter and failed both times so sticking with him the entire game when he wasn't effective in the most crucial situations would've been stupid.

Can't really say the Passing game was effective when u throw it that much and only have 7 points at half.
Miami had 7 plays on offense in the 3rd quarter, and was gifted 3 of those plays by the refs.
How many times have we seen Lamar Break off long runs when it looked like nothing eas there? Quite a few.

Lucky UVA has bad QBs cus they left at least 17 points on the field in the red zone.

When it comes down to it, Virginia coaching staff had a hell of a gameplan...they caught golden slippin.

Pretty interesting stuff from Stanford...here's a piece of the article:

A lab technician who was also a body builder, Vinh Cao, volunteered to be the test subject. To generate metabolic body heat, Heller and Grahn had him do sets of pull-ups to exhaustion. He started with a set of 14 pull-ups and soon dropped to eight per set. After 20 minutes, they applied cooling and a vacuum to Cao’s hand. When they asked him to do more pull-ups, they were amazed to see his performance jump back up to 14 pull-ups. To make sure the improvement wasn’t caused by the rest period, they did a study without cooling. Cao did 10 pull-ups.

They continued to study Cao for the next six weeks. If they applied cooling between sets, Cao’s performance held steady in set after set. Without cooling, it decayed. “It was as if he had no fatigue,

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

With that gameplan of not feeding Lamar, the Canes were down 20-7 at half... To UVA...
You effectively make your defense worse than they already are.
If the defense sucks, there is a way to try and hide it ... its called ball control. Minimize the opponents opportunities.

9 carries to Lamar Miller thru Quarters is a Joke.

Especially when the defense (that everyone sees is deficient) was on the field as much as they were.

Miami's staff struggled tonite.
Exactly. It's called making a commitment to the run. A 2 yard run on first down is a whole lot better than a failed deep bomb over and over again. The run game might not be as productive early on when the D is fresh but you have to do it to keep the defense honest and wear them down especially because it plays into the strength of Miami's team which is their huge OL and power running game and an elite RB. Their weakness is their D which the coach explicitly says can't hold up for long drives. So if your D's stamina is poor how much sense does it make to come out throwing the ball and checking into deep passes that are all or nothing? Even if you score the D goes right back on the field with no rest. We did that in our game on the long TD to Boykin and our D was GASSED on the next drive.

I know UVA was stacking the box but 9 carries through 3 quarters is too few. Just because they are inviting you to beat them over the top doesn't mean it's the best strategy to win the game or sustain drives. To be fair UVA's run defense has been pretty good this year and they blew up the short yardage plays late in the game. But part of that is because Miami made no effort to establish the run so UVA's front 7 still had plenty of energy to make those plays. The O seems to be too in love with making the big play rather than just getting a first down. You don't have to dink and dunk down the field, but take risks at appropriate times so that you aren't repeatedly in unmanageable situations and stall drives. Being down 10-14 points doesn't mean you have to get it all back in one play. 

You may not agree with me but this same issue is the reason why VT has beat you the past two years. In '10 Lamar Miller had 150 yards through three quarters and the game was close and you guys inexplicably started slinging it around with Stephen Morris in the 4th and pretty much handed us the game. This year you guys didn't even give Lamar a touch til the last play of the first drive and he had only 6 carries in the first half. The weights of the VT DL in that game were 219-301-253-240 with one of the DT's being a true freshman converted DE. And you come out THROWING the ball?
laugh.gif
By the time you started running Lamar you were scoring at will but it was too late. 

As far as the DC goes you're right; I forgot Golden brought the DC from Temple. The players seem so far gone though that there's not much he can do. I know your D is depleted but all the poor fundamental issues you've mentioned have been the problem for YEARS now. Half-assed tackling and undisciplined secondary play doesn't have much to do with the players' talent levels. It seems like the team is just full of undisciplined knuckleheads and the coaches can't get through to them. No matter how much talent you have (or don't have, this year) you won't win games if you don't do the little things right and shoot yourselves in the foot. I thought Shannon would curtail that but he failed miserably. I think the current staff probably still needs some time to set things straight but I'm sure the fans must be tired of waiting. It frustrates me and I'm not even a Miami fan
laugh.gif

Bottom line, U was running with EIGHT O-lineman types vs Virginia Tech, lineman plus TE's.  And eventually you simply wear down the opponent that way. 

You do not wear a defense down passing, unless you are going no huddle and gaining 5-6 yards a pop for 14 plays. 

If you keep trying to pound the ball, use Lamar again and again, THEN you can start to open it up with play actions and what not.  By the third-fourth quarters you will have leaned on the defense enough, some holes will start to open up more and more.  I saw one drive where Miller got it like 4 times in a row and they were gettin 6 yards each time.  They got into a rhythm.  That should have been happening in Q1-Q2 NOT in the 4th quarter down 2 touchdowns. 

Jacory has played pretty decent this year, but not that decent.  Lamar is still the best player on the offense, and for that matter, 4th down, biggest play of the game, and the ball is given to James, not Lamar, and not even Jacory???? 
ohwell.gif
sick.gif
  You don't put the biggest play of the game in your 7th best offensive players hands, come on.  Lamar, Jacory, Streeter, Benji, and we give it to Mike James. 

Not that it was even his fault, he was dead before he even took the ball, I'm just saying the playcalling on that play alone is a microcosim of how poor our playcalling really was. 

Next game they need to come out and pound it from the first play on.  Stop with all the passing early and trying to get Lamar going late, works better the other way. 

Back
Top Bottom