2011 another great year for college football

SC didn't give up a sack to Oregon (Not counting the sack awarded on that "intentional grounding" call ).

Aside from the turnovers by the Oregon offense, this was (I think) the biggest reason for the win. I don't think an Oregon defender even sniffed Barkley all night.
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by dreClark

Ugh.

Stanford and SC are gonna eat that #*%! alive
laugh.gif

No kidding, plus we get them in Palo alto, wouldn't doubt if we win by 30. Especially with the guys we are returning.

I am a richrod fan, as long as you Force him to scrap that defense.

RichRod knows Offense.

I knew he would get a job quick, he did a good job on cbsSportsTV

I was about to say why can't Zona be another Oregon with RichRod at the helm?

Pac 12 isn't a smash mouth conference like the Big Ten.

Originally Posted by Statis22

Pac 12 isn't a smash mouth conference like the Big Ten.

Because they are not getting 4* and 5* players like Oregon has been getting lately.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Who gets the "Most Disappointing Program of the Year" Award...

I was going to say Wisconsin but they still have a shot at the Big Ten title.  FSU, IMO, they had that hype train rolling, and that @$%# just derailed, they are awful.  I motion for Dre to put all his FSU off season move in spoilers until the start of the 2012 season.

Spoiler [+]
images

Yea.

samcro-meeting.jpg

Originally Posted by AndrewLuck

Originally Posted by University of Nike

I have no problem with Trent winning it - but Luck isn't even the best QB in the conference.

Hopefully they lose to ND this week and we can dead this talk for good.

Matt barkley had the best game of his career and suddenly he's so great? Put woods and lee and Stanford and let's talk. Also last time I checked the Heisman is an individual award, either way Lucks winning it.
Man pull your head out of your posterior.  You are trying to discount what Barkley is doing since he has better athletes to throw the ball to compared to Luck.  Who cares what Luck could do with the same talent, fact is he doesn't have that and isn't doing it.  The Heisman should go to the best player, not the player everyone thinks will be the best pro prospect. 

Heisman list:

1) RGIII
2) Trent Richardson
3) Matt Barkley

Richrod was successful at tulane, clemson, and wvu. He'll be perfect in the pac imo. Just needs time and personnel.

Originally Posted by airblaster503

Originally Posted by AndrewLuck

Originally Posted by University of Nike

I have no problem with Trent winning it - but Luck isn't even the best QB in the conference.

Hopefully they lose to ND this week and we can dead this talk for good.

Matt barkley had the best game of his career and suddenly he's so great? Put woods and lee and Stanford and let's talk. Also last time I checked the Heisman is an individual award, either way Lucks winning it.
Man pull your head out of your posterior.  You are trying to discount what Barkley is doing since he has better athletes to throw the ball to compared to Luck.  Who cares what Luck could do with the same talent, fact is he doesn't have that and isn't doing it.  The Heisman should go to the best player, not the player everyone thinks will be the best pro prospect. 

Heisman list:

1) RGIII
2) Trent Richardson
3) Matt Barkley
So Griffin is the best player and his team has lost 4 games? I mean it's an individual award, but there has to be a relation between winning=best player at some time. Regardless, I'm not trying to discredit Barkley, but he's good, not great. At times Luck has been great, but he has also been good. Griffin has been good, but not great. It's going to be an interesting race, but Luck wins it.

this is a couple weeks old but i hadnt seen it before and i thought some might find it interesting; i did.

[h3][/h3]
[h3]'Three And Out': Part 1[/h3][h1]Excerpt: Michigan's search for football coach lacked game plan[/h1][h4]John U. Bacon[/h4]
This first of five excerpts from "Three and Out" describes former Michigan athletic director Bill Martin's rocky search to find Lloyd Carr's successor, which eventually led Martin to Rich Rodriguez.

Two days after Michigan suffered its fourth straight loss to Ohio State in 2007, head coach Lloyd Carr announced his retirement.

Two of Ann Arbor's worst kept secrets that fall were LSU head coach Les Miles' desire to replace Carr, and Carr's even stronger desire that someone else — anyone else — get the job. Exactly why Carr disliked Miles, a former Michigan player and assistant, has inspired both honest speculation and ridiculous rumors. But ultimately, it was less important why Carr didn't like Miles than the simple fact that he didn't, which no one denies.

Whatever your opinion of what happened thereafter, all of it could have been easily avoided had Carr prepared a worthy successor. With no candidates from the Carr tree deemed ready, Bill Martin had to look elsewhere — and that's when things got interesting.

About a week after Carr's announcement, Martin told his hand-picked search committee that Tony Dungy was his favorite candidate. Dungy had played high school football for Jackson Parkside, a half hour from Ann Arbor, but turned down Bo Schembechler to play for Minnesota. His Indianapolis Colts had just won the 2007 Super Bowl the previous winter. Exactly why Martin thought Dungy might be interested in Michigan, however, is a mystery.

The committee then briefly discussed Brian Kelly, who had just finished the 2007 regular season at Cincinnati 9-3 while graduating 75 percent of his players. But Kelly had a well-earned reputation for being unpleasant — even basketball coaches had strong opinions about him — and Martin made it clear he was not a serious candidate.

What was most striking about that first meeting, however, was the number of candidates they barely discussed, if at all: Mike DeBord, Ron English, Jeff Tedford, Rich Rodriguez, and even Les Miles, the committee's first choice. "Bill didn't want him," recalls Ted Spencer, the director of admissions and a committee member. "I have no idea why. He never gave us a reason."
[h5]No urgency, no plan[/h5]
When the first meeting adjourned, the committee had been given no serious candidates to consider, nor any real direction. There was no urgency, no plan. The members left mystified — and miffed.

"If I had to put my finger on anything," said longtime faculty representative Percy Bates, "it's this notion that, 'This is Michigan. Once the job is open, they're going to be banging my door down, and I'm going to pick and choose among all these great candidates. The only question is, which of these great coaches will I invite to accept the honor of coaching at Michigan?'

"But never having conducted a big-time football coaching search before, Bill may not have realized how it works."

Many observers seemed eager to believe that the very absence of any real news or activity emanating from the department was all part of some super-secret master plan that would result in Miles being hired after LSU's bowl game. But the truth was that the silence was simply the result of a slow, sloppy search. There was nothing newsworthy to report.

The public also didn't know that Miles' representatives had been repeatedly trying to connect with Martin after Carr's announcement, without success. Miles' people placed more calls on Thursday, Nov. 29, but Martin and his wife were heading out for a three-day trip to Florida. When Jamie Morris, who worked in the development side of the athletic department and served as an unofficial liaison to the former players, presented Martin with a short stack of message slips before Martin left that Thursday, Martin told him he planned to call Miles when he returned on Sunday and left it at that.

All this came to a head two days later, on Saturday, Dec. 1, exactly two weeks after Michigan's loss to Ohio State, when Miles was preparing his team to play the SEC title game that afternoon against Tennessee. That morning, ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit announced that Miles had accepted Michigan's offer to succeed Carr. Thanks to Herbstreit's report, the buzz became so deafening so quickly that Miles felt compelled to give an impromptu press conference of his own just hours before the SEC championship game, denying Herbstreit's report.
[h5]'Oblivious to everything'[/h5]
While this drama played out, Martin was in South Florida with his wife, where he could not be reached by the media, his administrators, the regents or President Mary Sue Coleman herself.

"Bill was totally oblivious to everything," Morris said. Finally, Coleman "calls Bill after he gets home Sunday night, and she's pissed off. So now he's finally getting it. He finally figures out he's in deep (trouble)."

The next day, Monday, Dec. 3, with pressure mounting, Martin told the media he had a list of 20 candidates — which seemed like the kind of slate he'd have at the beginning of the search, not in December. That same day Martin flew to New York City under the guise of attending the National Football Foundation's Hall of Fame dinner Tuesday night, when his principal motive was finding a football coach.

Martin met with Rutgers' Greg Schiano, who was a hot commodity after leading the Scarlet Knights from the Big East's basement to a 10-2 regular-season record, garnering almost every coaching award available. When word quickly got out that Michigan was actively pursuing Schiano, it not only surprised Martin — who had naïvely believed the high-profile search could be kept quiet — but surprised the committee members, who had not been told Martin was even considering Schiano.

Although Martin was the director of Michigan athletics, he had not been a member of the Michigan football family before taking the post, and he had done little to ingratiate himself with the insiders in the years since. The careless search confirmed for many Michigan Men Martin's permanent status as an outsider of the very organization he was leading.

A few days later, a minor embarrassment became a major one when Schiano, after considering Martin's offer, declined. "I very much liked him," Martin said, "and it just didn't work out."

In fewer than three weeks, Martin had lowered his sights from Super Bowl champion Tony Dungy to Rutgers' Greg Schiano — and he still didn't have a coach. The sporting public was stunned to see Michigan, one of the most respected athletic departments in the nation, failing to find a leader.

"The phrase I kept hearing," Bates recalled from his colleagues around the country, was "the process being 'so un-Michigan-like.' And that was beginning to rise to the highest level of the university as well. Mary Sue (Coleman) was certainly getting the word from outside, and from the regents and donors, that this was falling apart."

Coleman and Martin had forged one of the best working relationships in college athletics. But the month after Carr retired, however, would test all of that.
[h5]'Three and Out'[/h5]
The Detroit News is publishing excerpts this week from John U. Bacon's new book, "Three and Out: Rich Rodriguez and the Michigan Wolverines in the Crucible of College Football."

Today: Bill Martin's coaching search

Tuesday: Rich Rodriguez takes over

Wednesday: The NCAA investigation

Thursday: A watershed moment against Illinois

Friday: Finally a bowl, but no fight left

Excerpted from "Three and Out: Rich Rodriguez and the Michigan Wolverines in the Crucible of College Football," by John U. Bacon, published by Farrar, Straus and Giroux, LLC. Copyright 2011 by John U. Bacon. All rights reserved.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20111024...football-coach-lacked-game-plan#ixzz1eOflyL6O

Originally Posted by Statis22

nike_logo-702.jpg

Regardless, I'm not trying to discredit Barkley, but he's good, not great. At times Luck has been great, but he has also been good. Griffin has been good, but not great. It's going to be an interesting race, but Luck wins it.
Not trying to discredit by discrediting him.

I'm not going to sunshine pump Matt Barkley, 'cause at this point I don't feel like I have to.  This kid has done everything asked of him and more, and still don't feel he gets the credit he deserves.  He took his first collegiate snap as a true freshman at The Shoe, and led the team on a 4th qtr drive.  As a true freshman.  He held the team together when sanctions came down that could've leveled the program (search for the thread for lulz).  He was the first to come out immediately and publicly said "I'm not going anywhere!".  That's huge, and can't be measured with statistics.

Last year was a "down" year, change of culture you might say, and still ended up better than most programs.  Matt Barkley plays against Notre Dame, we don't lose.  He tossed for 390 yards and 3 td's at your place, against a top 10 Stanford team that had no business winning if not for a generous time clock manager that gave you guys enough time to kick a FG.

I'm not going to sit here and type that Andrew Luck isn't great, because he is.  However, your bias and homerism doesn't let you see that someone is as good if not better than your QB.  One knock in the Luck/Barkley argument was that Barkley threw too many INT's, not this year.  This is with Matt having to take care of business in South Bend and Autzen, two tough places to play.

I'm happy to see that people are finally seeing what a good QB Matt Barkley is, he deserves it for being captain of the ship during this turbulent time.

Love what CLK and Co. are doing, I'll share more later...in spoilers like always.

So I just got back from the West Coast. Since I have no regard for anyone/anything, I just kept jumping down on to the field and walking around until someone asked to see a credential and kick me out. Game was ridiculously good. Crowd was so loud. Basically a great time. Only negative was the weird people from Oregon.

As I was trying to stay lo-pro, I didn't get many snaps in, but here is what I took while walking around on the field area.

a4r694.jpg

124hg81.jpg

Back
Top Bottom