2013 NBA Trade Deadline Thread: February 21

Just get dwight to the knicks for chandler and kidd straight up. Even take back blake from the lakeshow

Friday 5 with KB 2.8.13: A hard snow's going to fall

1. So that "Lakers are back" thing... down 30 in the fourth to Boston, discord between Dwight and Kobe, Pau out for 6-8 weeks as you first reported.... This is a team that never accepted mediocrity. Are they really willing to go down with the ship this season without a move?

What move are they going to make? Pau was their most tradeable asset, and they can't move him now. Unless they're going to move Dwight and completely punt on this season and who knows how many more, I don't see much in the way of a substantial trade that's there for them. But given what a left turn Dwight's short tenure with the Lakers has taken, I would expect the usual suspects -- Brooklyn, Houston, Dallas -- to jump in and see if Mitch Kupchak can be tempted to go back on his, "We're not trading Dwight Howard" statement. Which makes you wonder: Does Kupchak's statement go down in history with George H.W. Bush's "read my lips, no new taxes?"

2. Meanwhile, Boston's won six straight, and playing the best ball of their season. Danny Ainge always talks about not being affected by emotions, but isn't there a good chance this play has nailed the coffin closed on any changes to the roster at the deadline?

A lot can happen between now and Feb. 21. But the way the Celtics have steadied themselves definitely has swung the pendulum away from a massive-overhaul type trade.

3. Ken, it's trade season. Give me three teams you expect to be buyers and three teams you expect to be sellers.

I believe the buyers will be teams with the most cap space this summer: Atlanta, Utah and Cleveland. Because let's be honest, if you're not getting Dwight Howard or Chris Paul in free agency -- and they're not -- who are you getting? Better to parlay your assets and room into veteran talent now -- and talent that's probably is on a shorter contract that the four-year deal you'd have to give to a mediocre free agent. I still view the Celtics as a seller to some degree, because they're $1.5 million over the tax and clearly aren't a title contender. All the other tax teams pretty much intended to be there, but another team I see as a potential seller is Indiana (Danny Granger). And if it's possible for Atlanta to be a buyer and a seller, they're a seller when it comes to Josh Smith.

4. Rip Hamilton should be packing his stuff, right? Bulls will get under the tax in the next 2 weeks, yes?

That would certainly make sense. His role is shrinking already, and will shrink even more once Derrick Rose returns. The Bulls said they were committed to paying the tax this year, but if they can dive under without hurting themselves, why not? The cost of dumping Rip's contract shouldn't be prohibitive, either, since he only has $1 million guaranteed next season.

5. What have you done to prepare for Snowpocalypse 2013?

Let's see, we've got the fridge stocked with food, plenty of water, paleo snacks -- everything but beef jerky. I always forget the beef jerky.
Link

Shawn Marion: 'I'm not going'

Forward Shawn Marion said Friday that he would refuse to report to a bad team if the Dallas Mavericks trade him to one.

"If I'm going to get traded, they're going to tell me what's going on and where I'm going," the 14-year veteran said. "Because if I'm going to a (expletive) situation, I'm not going. It's just that simple.

"At this time, I'm too old to be trying to go through and be a, you know what I'm saying, not have a chance to do anything. I'm at a point where I want to be playing for something right now."

Marion didn't have an angry tone when he delivered this message. Rather, he was matter-of-fact, insisting he won't report to a team that doesn't have a chance to contend for a title.

"That's the only way I'm going, yeah," Marion said. "Yeah, that's it. That's the only possibility that could come out of that. Other than that, it ain't happening."

So Marion would retire if traded to a lottery-bound team?

"Maybe," he said, laughing. "Anything is possible."

The 34-year-old forward is due $9.3 million next season, the final year of a contract that includes a 15 percent trade kicker, which would bump his salary into eight figures.
Link

Has he checked the Mavs' record? :lol: I'm pretty sure it's written in the CBA that he has to report anyways.

Last edited:
Probably not. The franchise is in flux in a number of ways - don't know the owner, who the GM will be next year, who this year's GM is even making the moves for - so I doubt they'll make any franchise-changing moves.
Geoff Petrie has been pretty much MIA 
laugh.gif
 people have said they don't even know who's really running the show right now too because of the turmoil the franchise is in right now 
mean.gif

Bobcats discussing trade to send Ben Gordon to Brooklyn for Kris Humphries
Not surprised. We tried to sign him in the offseason but he resigned with the Nets. Equal money in terms of contract because Ben has a player option next year he'll exercise. That would give us 5 PF though(Mullens,Thomas,Warrick, Adrien, Humphries) so one would have to go back or we'd try and get a third team involved

That would be good for the Bobcats, but what the hell would that do for the Nets? Put out a lineup of DWill, Gordon, JJ, Blatche and Lopez and you're going to need 5 balls out there for everybody to be happy.

According to Howard Beck, the Bobcats proposed the trade, so it's up to the Nets.

I would probably do it if I were the Nets.

That would be good for the Bobcats, but what the hell would that do for the Nets? Put out a lineup of DWill, Gordon, JJ, Blatche and Lopez and you're going to need 5 balls out there for everybody to be happy.
Actually they share the ball pretty well as is but yeah, Humphries is a good player and more valuable to them than Gordon would be...

humpers minutes have gone down with blatche and evans playing well this year. i would do that trade because they need scoring off the bench and in the playoffs u can take wallace off the floor and move JJ to SF late games when you need a basket. or hell wallace can play at PF at times if u go small

Bobcats have been eying Humphries since the Summer, so I see why they're pushing for a deal still. I like the move for the Nets strictly for 3 point shooting... We haven't been a consistent threat from behind the arc all year & because of that, the defense is able to stack up in the paint against Brook. If we get Gordon, that would free up the space down low & add some more consistency to our 3 point game. He's also proved time & time again in his career to be clutch down the stretch.

Plus, the Nets are interested in adding another PF to the mix (someone more consistent & with a more offensive game than Humphries), so im sure that kind of potential deal would include some of the bench back court players.

Last edited:
Josh Smith - F - Hawks

A source tells David Aldridge that the Hawks have told Josh Smith's representatives that they are not willing to give him a max contract after this season.

And with that, it's open season on trade rumors in Atlanta. Smith previously indicated that he believes he's a max player, which means he would want a five-year, $94 million when he becomes an unrestricted free agent this summer. Now a source tells Aldridge that he's "willing to move on." The Hawks are therefore "entertaining trade offers around the league" and plenty will come calling. A rebuilding team like the Suns could see him as the star they're lacking and contenders could view him as a rental for a potential championship run. It's going to be a rocky ride for Smoove owners as the Feb. 21 trade deadline approaches.

nerd.gif

hope he gets traded to a real contending team

Josh Smith - F - Hawks

A source tells David Aldridge that the Hawks have told Josh Smith's representatives that they are not willing to give him a max contract after this season.

And with that, it's open season on trade rumors in Atlanta. Smith previously indicated that he believes he's a max player, which means he would want a five-year, $94 million when he becomes an unrestricted free agent this summer. Now a source tells Aldridge that he's "willing to move on." The Hawks are therefore "entertaining trade offers around the league" and plenty will come calling. A rebuilding team like the Suns could see him as the star they're lacking and contenders could view him as a rental for a potential championship run. It's going to be a rocky ride for Smoove owners as the Feb. 21 trade deadline approaches.

:nerd:

no contender is gonna give him a max contract..

Minnesota could use him. Don't want them paying that guy max money though.

Derrick Williams and Ridnour or Barea for Smith.

Last edited:
Josh Smith - F - Hawks

:nerd:

Thank you Based Ferry. Shipped out Joe Johnson immediately after being hired & now refuses to pay Lebron money for a dude who, after 8 seasons, has zero all star appearances & zero All NBA 1st, 2nd, or 3rd teams.

I approve.

Last edited:
Weekend Dime:
• The latest word out of Memphis is that Zach Randolph, irrespective of any whispers in circulation suggesting that the Grizzlies have another big move in them, is going nowhere. The Grizzlies, according to the Memphis Commercial Appeal, have taken the step of telling Randolph so this week, assuring him to ignore any further trade chatter because they're not entertaining the thought no matter how many calls they get. The Grizz don't want to make any more significant moves, sources say, hoping to restore some calm to the locker room in the wake of the Rudy Gay deal that has clearly sent Gay's old teammates -- and especially his former coach -- into a woe-is-me funk.

• Maybe there is enough time before this month's trade deadline for Indiana to find a trade partner willing to gamble on Danny Granger. This much we do know, though: It's not going to be Houston. One source with knowledge of Houston's thinking left little doubt that recent reports portraying the Rockets as a potential suitor for Granger, as they were in the past long before James Harden showed up, were inaccurate.

• Is the following mere posturing or the real-deal stance in Denver? Only time will tell, but one source plugged into the Nuggets' plans insisted this week that Russian center Timofey Mozgov -- widely presumed to be a lock to be dealt before the deadline -- will not be moved unless the return is "crazy good." Don't know that such an offer is going to materialize for a player behind both Kosta Koufos and JaVale McGee in George Karl's frontcourt rotation.
• The Sixers, sources say, are open to a shakeup as they continue to wait for the return of Andrew Bynum to give All-Star point guard Jrue Holiday some badly needed help. And I'm told Philly, as such, is shopping (or at least making calls to gauge the value of) swingman Evan Turner.

• My ESPN colleague Chris Broussard filed some newsy dispatches Friday, reporting that the Nets and Bobcats have discussed a Kris Humphries-for-Ben Gordon swap while also asserting that the likelihood of Atlanta dealing free agent-to-be Josh Smith is rising.

It's still a tricky call for the Hawks, given their longstanding reluctance to take on money and squander the copious salary-cap space they're on course to have this summer, but here's the subsequent scuttle I heard from one interested party: Atlanta wants a quality young center in return in the event it does decide to part with Smith before the deadline.

• To clarify some tweeting from earlier this week, Milwaukee was indeed shopping center Samuel Dalembert before his 35-point, 12-rebound eruption in just 27 minutes Tuesday night at Denver. The reality, though, is that the Bucks could end up moving any number of players before the Feb. 21 trade deadline, with Beno Udrih -- like Ellis -- also available out of the Bucks' backcourt.

P.S. Dalembert's 35 points were a career high in his 754th regular-season game. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, no other player in league history has even played 600 regular-season games before his first 30-point game. The next-highest total to Dalembert's is the 584 games logged by Fred Roberts before Roberts, also for the Bucks, finally cracked the 30-point plateau on April 2, 1991.
@ESPNSteinLine Weekend Dime addendum: Milwaukee now in mix for Magic's JJ Redick. Bucks, I'm told, assessing their ability to retain sharpshooter long term
@ESPNSteinLine To meet asking price for Redick -- expiring(s) and a future first-round pick -- Bucks naturally wanna know they can retain free agent-to-be
@ESPNSteinLine Redick did tell @RealGM this week that ORL has "become a home" & that he'd like to stay if Magic end up passing on all these calls coming in

Last edited:
add eric gordon to the list

The New Orleans Hornets have shown a willingness to engage in talks for Eric Gordon, according to a rival executive.

Gordon's agent, Rob Pelinka, has been more than open to the idea of a trade for his client as well.

Gordon signed with the Phoenix Suns last summer and his comments after the Hornets matched the offer sheet suggested that he was upset about the situation.

"You never know what could happen," Gordon said by phone when asked if he now sees New Orleans as the long-term spot for him. "The main thing right now is to really focus on this team. After thinking about my injuries and everything, everything is year by year with me. I have to focus on this year. I don't know what's going to happen. You never know what's going to happen."
Via Sam Amick/USA TODAY

Back
Top Bottom