• 45-50

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-60

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's why they didn't.... From the best of my understanding.

You get IT2 & Lance to keep them long term.

IT2, Lance, Kobe, Randle, 6 cap holds would mean no max cap slot next year. We likely have to stretch Nash because we need money to fill in rest of the team for this season. End up with around $15mil in cap next season. If you have Lance, IT, Kobe & Randle with $15mil, you are not going to just punt next season, so they'll sign a tier 2 guy long term.

The reason they didn't sign them was because it didn't move the needle enough, wouldn't put us in any different position in the next 2 years, and would hurt flexibility.

Last edited:
If Randle's going to use his dribble drive game more, he needs to develop a right hand.

That'll be just as important as developing a jumper.

Last edited:
Randle seems to have real good strength for a 19 year old. He already bullies his way to the basket but if he hits the gym, dude will be a beast.

Last edited:
9 mllion for a border line allstar? What a steal for the Hornets

We want to take a risk with Lin and his garbage skills over Lance and his attitude?
i wouldnt say we took a risk with lin, he's a one year rental to maintain cap space for next summer. his contract may become an asset come deadline time, who knows maybe he'll go a "linsanity" type of spurt and we can sell high on him to a team needing that type of player for a playoff run. 

if anything, the lakers played it safe this offseason. and i get it, lbj, melo, bosh were worth the risk while the other FA's werent. 

Last edited:
Yeah screw going after already established young players like Lance with room to grow in the future. It's much more important to punt the season way for a 50% chance at a top 5 draft pick. :rolleyes

We are doomed.

IT2, Lance, Kobe, Randle, 6 cap holds would mean no max cap slot next year. We likely have to stretch Nash because we need money to fill in rest of the team for this season. End up with around $15mil in cap next season. If you have Lance, IT, Kobe & Randle with $15mil, you are not going to just punt next season, so they'll sign a tier 2 guy long term.

The reason they didn't sign them was because it didn't move the needle enough, wouldn't put us in any different position in the next 2 years, and would hurt flexibility.

Kobe: $25
Randle: $3
IT2: $7
Lance:$ 9
Sacre: $1
Clarkson: $1

= 46 MIL

+ 6 CAP HOLDS = $49 MIL

Say the cap goes up $7.5% like it did this year, that means we go from $63 to about $67.2 next year = $19 mil under the cap. Love, Rondo, and Marc's max deal 1st years will start at $17 mil. So we could have room for a max slot and have a lineup of IT2, Lance, Kobe, Randle, Marc for the 2015-2016 season, and we could fill the roster out with minimum guys. Or get over the cap and open up the exceptions, no need to stretch Nash really. Which we're going to end up doing anyway over these next couple years now (a lot of Xs, Wes Johnsons and the like).

Which one you think looks more appealing to a FA in 2016? IT2, Lance, Randle, Marc or Swaggy P, Randle, Top 5, Marc?

Last edited:
the thing is JHILL is in the closet, and lance brings more to the court. oh well, too late now.

smh.

Lance passed up a longer-term offer from the Pacers (five years, $44 million).

I thought it was reported that the Lakers contacted him at one point. Who knows what they offered; maybe they did make a serious run at him.

Kobe: $25
Randle: $3
IT2: $7
Lance:$ 9
Sacre: $1
Clarkson: $1

= 46 MIL

+ 6 CAP HOLDS = $49 MIL

Say the cap goes up $7.5% like it did this year, that means we go from $63 to about $67.2 next year = $19 mil under the cap. Love, Rondo, and Marc's max deal 1st years will start at $17 mil. So we could have room for a max slot and have a lineup of IT2, Lance, Kobe, Randle, Marc for the 2015-2016 season, and we could fill the roster out with minimum guys. Or get over the cap and open up the exceptions, no need to stretch Nash really. Which we're going to end up doing anyway over these next couple years now (a lot of Xs, Wes Johnsons and the like).

Which one you think looks more appealing to a FA in 2016? IT2, Lance, Randle, Marc or Swaggy P, Randle, Top 5, Marc?

You forgot Kelly, any picks we have next year. Would have had to stretch Nash. Cap is projected at $66.5mil for next season.

So subtract about $7mil off that total of $19mil

Should they have went after one of them? Yes. But I get why they didn't go after either.

Last edited:
You forgot Kelly, any picks we have next year. Would have had to stretch Nash. Cap is projected at $66.5mil for next season.

So minus about $6mil off that total of $19mil

How? Kelly has a $1 mil/year deal, No picks I'm assuming for 2015 they'd not have any cause they'd forfeit the pick next year to PHX and not buy a 2nd rounder like they did this year. Why would we have had to stretch Nash this year? Just to get IT2 and Lance, we're still about 2.7 mil under the cap now with Young and Hill making 14 and Jeremy Lin who's taking up 8 mil. Lance and IT2 at 16 wouldn't have required a stretch I don't believe, especially if we had not taken on Lin. As for the next summer even if everyone is back in Kobe, Lance, IT2, Randle, Clarkson, Kelly, + 6 cap holds, that's still $49 mil. If the cap goes to 66.5 that's still 17.5 mil. Enough for a max with Marc in his 1st season.

I actually think the roster is improved from last year :\. Lin> marshall kobe (?)> Meeks sf (?)> wes....Randle is a better 4 than hill and hill is a better 5 than 4. I thought last year's squad was buns but they surprised me early on.

Liking what I've seen from randle thus far. Almost impossible to knock him off his pivot. He's able to step thru and manuever in tight spaces which enables him to get off the ground and finish while defenders still don't have their feet set.

D'Antoni > Anybody else they'll likely hire

Dude stole about a number of wins before the injuries piled up.

We have Houston's pick Mamba.

And you're guestimating 17.5 in space, but admitting Marc starts at 17.

500,000 for 5-6 more guys? :lol:

We have Houston's pick Mamba.

And you're guestimating 17.5 in space, but admitting Marc starts at 17.

500,000 for 5-6 more guys? :lol:

I'm saying if we didn't even attempt to get Lin in the 1st place and just went after IT2 and Lance in the 1st place. Once you're over the cap and under the luxury tax all of the exceptions open up, so we could theoretically have signed X back at the minimum, got over the cap with still the full MLE, BAE to use. Which we still don't have access to now because we are under the cap.

That's a 9 man rotation of IT2, Lance, Kobe, Randle, Sacre, Kelly, Clarkson, X, Nash at the cap with 3 roster spots and the MLE, BAE, and minimum vet deals to fill out the roster.

That would have been my strategy after Bron and Melo were off the table. Not to go and get Jeremy Lin, and sign Young and Hill. I just look at it as IT2 being better than the top 5 pick because he's proven right now and is only making 3 mil more than that guy would anyway.

Last edited:
It's pretty clear to me management is trying to keep the team cap as clean as possible.

Last edited:
Ok, I follow you on the pre Lin deal, my bad.

But please do not ever say IT is better than a top 5 pick, ever again. Like, ever, please. I beg you, don't do that in here again.

IT might be "proven" but he's proven that he's a limited player outside of just scoring outputs, which don't mean anything. He's small, can't defend well, and doesn't distribute. And costs more than that top 5 pick, and is older. There's no benefit to IT over a top 5 pick. I can get with you putting together a "better" roster, no problem there, but it would have a limited ceiling with IT is all.

It's definitely the strategy P, just not convinced at all it'll work. They're keeping max slots available, but won't amount to anything if nobody wants to take him, we'll be in this cycle of signing 1 and 2 year deals even after Kobe's contract is off the books just to hope some star decides to come.

It's definitely the strategy P, just not convinced at all it'll work. They're keeping max slots available, but won't amount to anything if nobody wants to take him, we'll be in this cycle of signing 1 and 2 year deals even after Kobe's contract is off the books just to hope some star decides to come.

True, but if in the background of that, we are developing Randle, Clarkson, and possibly 2 first rounders next year, that's how we'll eventually lure that star player (or two) to sign on. Then we can overspend on our own pieces and have a solid 6-7 man core with 1-2 exceptions to build with once we're established.

Ok, I follow you on the pre Lin deal, my bad.

But please do not ever say IT is better than a top 5 pick, ever again. Like, ever, please. I beg you, don't do that in here again.

IT might be "proven" but he's proven that he's a limited player outside of just scoring outputs, which don't mean anything. He's small, can't defend well, and doesn't distribute. And costs more than that top 5 pick, and is older. There's no benefit to IT over a top 5 pick. I can get with you putting together a "better" roster, no problem there, but it would have a limited ceiling with IT is all.

Not every draft is going to be as loaded as last year's man. You don't know who that top 5 guy is going to be and how good they are. These are the top 5 guys right now who are all going to be freshmen in college next year.

(From Draft Express)

First Round
1 Jahlil Okafor C
18 yrs; 6'11"; 272 lbs.
, HS Sr
2 Cliff Alexander PF/C
18 yrs; 6'9"; 254 lbs.
, HS Sr
3 Emmanuel Mudiay PG
18 yrs; 6'5"; 200 lbs.
, HS Sr
4 Karl Towns PF/C
18 yrs; 7'0"; 248 lbs.
Dominican Republic, HS Sr
5 Stanley Johnson SF
18 yrs; 6'7"; 237 lbs.
USA, HS Sr

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz37euQ29KQ
http://www.draftexpress.com

Dude put up 20 ppg and 6 apg last year on a bad team, which we're going to be for the most part anyway. I thought the end game was collecting and developing assets right, could IT2 not develop and be more of a well-rounded player and again his salary isn't that bad (Exum is making $3.6 mil this year at the #5 slot, IT2 is at a little less than 7, hell he put up the same numbers as Kyrie who just signed for $90 mil. And that's also controlled for 4 years like the top 5 guy will be before he's due a raise.

Last edited:
At some point, folks will stop using the Kyrie argument with IT. First off, every single team the Cavs faced, their defense was set up to stop Kyrie.

Nobody, not one team, went up against the Kings, hoping to stop Thomas. None, zero. That's called inflated stats. A PG, with a high usage rate, undersized, gonna be 26 next year. And costs more than those top 5 picks you listed.

I'm sorry, but there is no other way to slice that.

Last factor, the Kings flat out let the man go. For nothing almost. That should tell you something. And on top of that, it was reported pretty clearly by some of the Kings folks, if LA offered, they would have matched, to prevent us from taking their guy. (who knows if that's true, but it might have raised the price on us vs the Suns)

And you just listed Exum at 5, as 3.6 mil, and Exum today is probably better than Thomas. :lol:

What use do we have going forward, with a 5-9 PG who only scores? What good does that do? Yes, it adds an asset, but Lin + a pick, and a chance at another Top 5 pick >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the asset that Thomas would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom