2015 NY Knicks offseason thread, Los Almighty appreciation thread

I also said you should be banned for your 10 page posts that no one reads BUT since you love the foreign guy, what's so special about this foreign guy? We hear the same **** every draft about foreign players. Then they never come here or they're complete busts and can't play in this league. How many foreign players have we drafted that were ranked so high and expected to be studs? How many of them worked out?

I also said you should be banned for your 10 page posts that no one reads BUT since you love the foreign guy, what's so special about this foreign guy? We hear the same **** every draft about foreign players. Then they never come here or they're complete busts and can't play in this league. How many foreign players have we drafted that were ranked so high and expected to be studs? How many of them worked out?
Well my long *** rants have been part of this thread on and off for a decade now, so I have to assume your anger is much more Porzingis-based than it is my posts. But as far as the posts go, sometimes I get nothing back, but most of the time, I feel like they are enjoyed by the rest of the thread. I post them much more as a personal way to vent my over-active-Knick-fan-brain than I do for responses, but I wouldnt keep on doing so without getting the positive feedback I so often do.

But thanks again for making another rash generalization based on absolutely nothing. Really strengthening my cause.

As for foreign players who we have drafted high, I believe the only foreign players we have drafted in the 1st round in recent memory have been Frederic Weis, Nene, and Gallinari. So I'd say we hit on 2/3? 2/2 if we are talking lotto picks?  
laugh.gif

Real strong argument you got there bud. But please, proceed to bring up 2nd round picks that have no business being in this conversation like Slavko Vranes, Majec Lampe, and Kostas Papanikilou though. I know you will 
mean.gif

For those that Like Porzingis, how do we handle his development if we bring him in? We can't just throw him out there and expect him to flourish. He's 19. We'd have to develop some sort of support system for this kid. Bring in former players to work with him teach him the basics of the NBA game. I can't think of any instances where we have done that as a franchise. Mostly because the opportunity hasn't presented itself for us, but our track record in regards to bringing back our former players is also less than stellar if we're going to be honest.

We hit on 2 out of 3? I'm sorry, what two? You can't be talking about Gallo or Nene. Nene is good but never was for us. Gallo hasn't been a good player at all. For some reason Knick fans liked the guy but he isn't ****.

Now how many foreign players have been taken since 2000 in the first round and have been good?

Last edited:
We hit on 2 out of 3? I'm sorry, what two? You can't be talking about Gallo or Nene. Nene is good but never was for us. Gallo hasn't been a good player at all. For some reason Knick fans liked the guy but he isn't ****.

Now how many foreign players have been taken since 2000 in the first round and have been good?
Gallo was indeed the right pick. He is still a very good player when healthy and really came on at the end of the season. He is still very young and averaged 17.8 PPG in March and then 22.3 PPG on 52% shooting and 46% from 3 in April of this year. He also had a 48 point night.

Nene has been an extremely solid player in this league for 13 years now and was one of the premier post defenders in the NBA during his prime who also has a solid offensive game. Prime Nene was a definite starter on any NBA roster. He still could be for some 13 years later.

You also have to look things in to context. Neither Gallo or Nene had the kind of hype that Zinger has right now. But they were both the right picks to make. Most people were calling the Knicks to draft either Jerryd Bayless or Eric Gordon instead of Gallo. Those were where the Boos came from that night. How would that have played out for us? But people love to leave this out and fault Gallo for not becoming a superstar, when he was never really hyped out as one, but is still young/talented enough to develop into an all-star caliber like player if he can move past the injuries.

The next pick after Nene in the 2002 draft was Chris ******* Wilcox. Do Maryland players now get a bad rep because Wilcox was a bust? Sure, people could point out that Amare was drafted at #9 but Amare was a diamond in the rough. After Amare (and probably boozer, who was a 2nd round pick), Nene has had by far the most successful NBA career out of anyone else available with the 7th pick in the 2002 draft, and you want to label him a bust? ***** 
mean.gif

If you want to blame the Knicks organization for trading Nene away on draft night for ******* McDyess or for including Gallo in the Melo deal instead of Landry ******* Fields, I support that notion 1000%. But dont try and play it like Nene and Gallo were bad draft picks just because the Knicks gave up on them to soon. Similar to what I always say to people who hate on Melo for what the Knicks traded to acquire him, place your criticism on Dolan and the organization, not the Gallo/Nene. Hate the game, not the player. 
laugh.gif

If Zinger does become the right pick, like Gallo and Nene were. If he lives up to his potential, like Gallo is doing and Nene did, he could become a superstar. Because unlike Gallo/Nene, that is what his potential as a prospect is.

Sure it is a risk, but so is taking any of these ******* kids. They are all unknowns, I am not going to look at Zinger any differently just because he grew up in a different country. There are American busts all the ******* time, but because there are more American NBA players, and therefore more American superstars, people choose to overlook this fact and act like American college players are sure things, which they are not.

You want to point out players like Darko and stereotype, and I will point out others like Giannis Antentokuombo and Rudy Gobert. The 2 of them would go 1 and 2 if the 2013 NBA Draft was redone. But dumb *** NBA GMs, like you, were too scared away by the "Euro-bust stereotype" to spend an earlier draft pick on them. both of them fell outside of the lottery. And I think Zinger could be better than both of those players.

Last edited:
No way in hell am I reading all of that. Gallo was not the right player and he's not a good player. Guy can't play defense, he can score SOME nights. If he was never a Knick, half of his thread wouldn't even care about him.

Now back to my question, how many foreign players were drafted since 2000 and how many met expectations?

Nah, not trolling. There should be a list of players and then you pick which ones you think worked out. Your last 10 posts were longer than any paper I wrote in high school or college. I'm not reading that.

Nah, not trolling. There should be a list of players and then you pick which ones you think worked out. Your last 10 posts were longer than any paper I wrote in high school or college. I'm not reading that.
[table][tr][td]1[/td][td]6[/td][td]Danilo Gallinari[/td][td]SF[/td][td]
23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png
 Italy[/td][td]New York Knicks[/td][td]Olimpia Milano  (Italy) 1988[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]7[/td][td]Eric Gordon[/td][td]SG[/td][td]
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
 United States[/td][td]Los Angeles Clippers[/td][td]Indiana  (Fr.)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]8[/td][td]Joe Alexander[/td][td]SF[/td][td]
 United States[/td][td]Milwaukee Bucks[/td][td]West Virginia  (Jr.)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]9[/td][td]D. J. Augustin[/td][td]PG[/td][td]
 United States[/td][td]Charlotte Bobcats[/td][td]Texas  (So.)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]10[/td][td]Brook Lopez[sup]+[/sup][/td][td]C[/td][td]
 United States[/td][td]New Jersey Nets[/td][td]Stanford  (So.)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]11[/td][td]Jerryd Bayless[/td][td]PG[/td][td]
 United States[/td][td]Indiana Pacers  (traded to Portland)[sup]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NBA_draft#endnote_Note2b_1[/sup][/td][td]Arizona  (Fr.)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]12[/td][td]Jason Thompson[/td][td]PF[/td][td]
 United States[/td][td]Sacramento Kings[/td][td]Rider  (Sr.)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]13[/td][td]Brandon Rush[/td][td]SG[/td][td]
 United States[/td][td]Portland Trail Blazers  (traded to Indiana)[sup]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NBA_draft#endnote_Note22[/sup][/td][td]Kansas  (Jr.)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]14[/td][td]Anthony Randolph[/td][td]PF[/td][td]
 United States[sup]b[›][/sup][/td][td]Golden State Warriors[/td][td]LSU  (Fr.)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]15[/td][td]Robin Lopez[/td][td]C[/td][td]
 United States[/td][td]Phoenix Suns  (from Atlanta)[sup][n][/sup][/td][td]Stanford  (So.)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]16[/td][td]Marreese Speights[/td][td]PF[/td][td]
 United States[/td][td]Philadelphia 76ers[/td][td]Florida  (So.)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]17[/td][td]Roy Hibbert[sup]+[/sup][/td][td]C[/td][td]
 United States
23px-Flag_of_Jamaica.svg.png
 Jamaica[sup]c[›][/sup][/td][td]Toronto Raptors  (traded to Indiana)[sup][c][/sup][/td][td]Georgetown  (Sr.)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]18[/td][td]JaVale McGee[/td][td]C[/td][td]
 United States[/td][td]Washington Wizards[/td][td]Nevada  (So.)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]19[/td][td]J. J. Hickson[/td][td]PF[/td][td]
 United States[/td][td]Cleveland Cavaliers[/td][td]NC State  (Fr.)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]20[/td][td]Alexis Ajinça[/td][td]C[/td][td]
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
 France[/td][td]Charlotte Bobcats  (from Denver)[sup][o][/sup][/td][td]Hyères-Toulon  (France) 1988[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]21[/td][td]Ryan Anderson[/td][td]PF[/td][td]
 United States[/td][td]New Jersey Nets  (from Dallas)[sup][p][/sup][/td][td]California  (So.)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]22[/td][td]Courtney Lee[/td][td]SG[/td][td]
 United States[/td][td]Orlando Magic[/td][td]Western Kentucky  (Sr.)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]23[/td][td]Kosta Koufos[/td][td]C[/td][td]
23px-Flag_of_Greece.svg.png
 Greece
 United States[sup]d[›][/sup][/td][td]Utah Jazz[/td][td]Ohio State  (Fr.)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]24[/td][td]Serge Ibaka[/td][td]PF[/td][td]
23px-Flag_of_the_Republic_of_the_Congo.svg.png
 Republic of the Congo
23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png
 Spain[sup]e[›][/sup][/td][td]Seattle SuperSonics[sup]a[›][/sup]  (from Phoenix)[sup][q][/sup][/td][td]L'Hospitalet  (Spain) 1989[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]25[/td][td]Nicolas Batum[/td][td]SF[/td][td]
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
 France[/td][td]Houston Rockets  (traded to Portland)[sup][d][/sup][/td][td]Le Mans  (France) 1988[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]26[/td][td]George Hill[/td][td]PG[/td][td]
 United States[/td][td]San Antonio Spurs[/td][td]IUPUI  (Jr.)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]27[/td][td]Darrell Arthur[/td][td]PF[/td][td]
 United States[/td][td]New Orleans Hornets  (traded to Memphis  viaPortland)[sup][d][/sup][sup][e][/sup][/td][td]Kansas  (So.)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]28[/td][td]Donté Greene[/td][td]SF[/td][td]
 United States[sup]f[›][/sup][/td][td]Memphis Grizzlies  (from LA Lakers[sup][r][/sup], traded toHouston)[sup][d][/sup][/td][td]Syracuse  (Fr.)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]29[/td][td]D. J. White[/td][td]PF[/td][td]
 United States[/td][td]Detroit Pistons  (traded to Seattle)[sup]a[›][/sup][sup][f][/sup][/td][td]Indiana  (Sr.)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]30[/td][td]J. R. Giddens[/td][td]SG[/td][td]
 United States[/td][td]Boston Celtics[/td][td]New Mexico  (Sr.)[/td][/tr]
[/table]
2008 Draft.

Only player who has had a better career than Gallo, who the Knicks could have justifiably selected at the time was Brook Lopez, who wasnt considered a good fit for D'Antoni's offense. Next 3 picks after Gallo (Gordon, Joe Alexander, DJ Augustine, and lets throw Jerryd Bayless in there for good measure because Knicks fans were in LOVE with him) all have not had the kind of NBA success Gallo has had and still could have as he approaches his prime years.

Hibbert has panned out but would have been far too much of a reach to select at #6, and again, an awful fit for then coach D'Antoni so there is no telling that Hibbert would have panned out like he has if we selected him with the 6th pick. Next best picks in this draft class? Serge Ibaka and Nicolas Batum. Both foreigners.
[table][tr][td]1[/td][td]7[/td][td]Nenê[/td][td]PF[/td][td]
22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png
 Brazil[/td][td]New York Knicks  (traded to Denver)[sup][7][/sup][/td][td]Vasco da Gama  (Brazil)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]8[/td][td]Chris Wilcox[/td][td]F/C[/td][td]
 United States[/td][td]Los Angeles Clippers  (from Atlanta)[/td][td]Maryland  (So.)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]9[/td][td]Amar'e Stoudemire[sup]*[/sup][/td][td]F/C[/td][td]
 United States[/td][td]Phoenix Suns[/td][td]Cypress Creek HS  (Orlando, FloridaHS  Sr.[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]10[/td][td]Caron Butler[sup]+[/sup][/td][td]SF[/td][td]
 United States[/td][td]Miami Heat[/td][td]Connecticut  (So.)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]11[/td][td]Jared Jeffries[/td][td]F[/td][td]
 United States[/td][td]Washington Wizards[/td][td]Indiana  (So.)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]12[/td][td]Melvin Ely[/td][td]PF[/td][td]
 United States[/td][td]Los Angeles Clippers[/td][td]Fresno State  (Sr.)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]13[/td][td]Marcus Haislip[/td][td]PF[/td][td]
 United States[/td][td]Milwaukee Bucks[/td][td]Tennessee  (Jr.)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]14[/td][td]Fred Jones[/td][td]SG[/td][td]
 United States[/td][td]Indiana Pacers[/td][td]Oregon  (Sr.)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]15[/td][td]Boštjan Nachbar[/td][td]SF[/td][td]
23px-Flag_of_Slovenia.svg.png
 Slovenia[/td][td]Houston Rockets  (from Toronto)[/td][td]Benetton Treviso  (Italy)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]16[/td][td]Jiří Welsch[/td][td]G/F[/td][td]
23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png
 Czech Republic[/td][td]Philadelphia 76ers  (traded to Golden State)[/td][td]Union Olimpija  (Slovenia  andAdriatic League) 1980[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]17[/td][td]Juan Dixon[/td][td]G[/td][td]
 United States[/td][td]Washington Wizards  (from New Orleans)[/td][td]Maryland  (Sr.)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]18[/td][td]Curtis Borchardt[/td][td]C[/td][td]
 United States[/td][td]Orlando Magic  (traded to Utah)[/td][td]Stanford  (Jr.)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]19[/td][td]Ryan Humphrey[/td][td]PF[/td][td]
 United States[/td][td]Utah Jazz  (traded to Orlando)[/td][td]Notre Dame  (Sr.)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]20[/td][td]Kareem Rush[/td][td]SG[/td][td]
 United States[/td][td]Toronto Raptors  (from Seattle  via New York, traded toLos Angeles Lakers)[/td][td]Missouri  (Jr.)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]21[/td][td]Qyntel Woods[/td][td]SF[/td][td]
 United States[/td][td]Portland Trail Blazers[/td][td]Northeast Mississippi CC(So.)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]22[/td][td]Casey Jacobsen[/td][td]SG[/td][td]
 United States[/td][td]Phoenix Suns  (from Boston)[/td][td]Stanford  (Jr.)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]23[/td][td]Tayshaun Prince[/td][td]SF[/td][td]
 United States[/td][td]Detroit Pistons[/td][td]Kentucky  (Sr.)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]24[/td][td]Nenad Krstić[/td][td]F/C[/td][td]
23px-Flag_of_FR_Yugoslavia.svg.png
 Yugoslavia[/td][td]New Jersey Nets[/td][td]Partizan Belgrade  (Sinalco Superleague  and Adriatic League)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]25[/td][td]Frank Williams[/td][td]PG[/td][td]
 United States[/td][td]Denver Nuggets  (from Dallas, traded to New York)[sup][7][/sup][/td][td]Illinois  (Jr.)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]26[/td][td]John Salmons[/td][td]G/F[/td][td]
 United States[/td][td]San Antonio Spurs  (traded to Philadelphia)[/td][td]Miami  (Sr.)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]27[/td][td]Chris Jefferies[/td][td]SF[/td][td]
 United States[/td][td]Los Angeles Lakers  (traded to Toronto)[/td][td]Fresno State  (Jr.)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]28[/td][td]Dan Dickau[/td][td]PG[/td][td]
 United States[/td][td]Sacramento Kings  (traded to Atlanta)[/td][td]Gonzaga  (Sr.)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]29[/td][td]Forfeited pick[/td][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][td]Minnesota Timberwolves  (forfeited their first-round pick due to salary cap  violations)[sup][8][/sup][/td][td]  [/td][/tr][tr][td]2[/td][td]30[/td][td]Steve Logan[sup]#[/sup][/td][td]PG[/td][td]
 United States[/td][td]Golden State Warriors[/td][td]Cincinnati  (Sr.)[/td][/tr][/table]
2002 Draft.

Only player who has panned out better than Nene has been Amare. Maybe Caron, but I would still say that Nene has had the better overall career due to his consistency and longevity at what he does. Lotttttttttta American busts in there.

Juan Dixon was practically a folk hero at this time. Just finished off Indiana-led-star Jared Jeffries to win the 2002 National Championship. That entire 02 Maryland championship team was a ******* NBA bust. Yet, this is so often overlooked in the grand scheme of things.

So to keep it in context, the Knicks basically selected the 2nd best player available when we selected Nene and Gallinari. This would normally be considered extremely successful drafting because of the wide array of players available, the majority of whom do not pan out.

But because Gallo and Nene were foreigners, you are more likely to point out that just because they never became superstars makes them a bust. Which will be true of Zinger because of how highly regarded he is and because of all the talent available at the top of this draft, and he is a better prospect because of this. Like when comparing any prospects picked at different spots in different years, expectations are different.

Darko is a worse #2 pick than Derrick Williams for instance because of who else was available. Zinger will need to be better than Gallo/Nene are to be considered a successful pick because he would be selected higher and in a better draft. But the same notion/standard is not true when judging using the 6th pick on Gallo in 08 and the 7th pick on Nene in 02. Those were good draft picks looking back at it.

So to answer your question for the last time. 2 for 2.

Last edited:
For those that Like Porzingis, how do we handle his development if we bring him in? We can't just throw him out there and expect him to flourish. He's 19. We'd have to develop some sort of support system for this kid. Bring in former players to work with him teach him the basics of the NBA game. I can't think of any instances where we have done that as a franchise. Mostly because the opportunity hasn't presented itself for us, but our track record in regards to bringing back our former players is also less than stellar if we're going to be honest.

This is a great point.

The old adage of you can't rebuild a sport team in NYC has proven itself to be true over and over again.

Our tank last season was the absolute most that we can withstand.

Imagine if we draft Zinger and he turns out to be a bust (high likelihood) or even if he's good but takes 3/4 season's to develop....the city will implode.

Everyone is expecting an immediately noticeable turnaround from our worst season in history. By the time Zinger develops into something, Melo will be on the decline, Phil will be on the way out and the pressure will be on to trade him.

He'd probably go somewhere else and flourish, like every other player of note, in franchise history.

Foreign projects are great for teams like The Sun, Mavs and T-Wolves....where they can lay low and develop under the radar, while the franchise throws all of their resources at them.

Us drafting Zinger, has disaster written all over it, imo.

My man, I said post all the foreign players that have been drafted since 2000. The entire league, not just the Knicks. It's cool, I'm over it. Gallo was a terrible pick at 6. I don't like drafting foreign players, you do. That's it.

Ooooooh get 'em! [emoji]128293[/emoji][emoji]128293[/emoji][emoji]128293[/emoji] :pimp:

I've grown to like zinger (although I still prefer mudiay)
Zinger will be a solid player man. His potential is unreal and he's already proven himself in the Euros. These other kids don't have the professional experience like he does so he's already ahead of the game. Big risk big reward guy.

I think everybody just has this stereotype about overseas players where they automatically dislike them :lol:

Last edited:
Hey, leave my boy Danilo alone! :frown:

Just kidding.

Danilo is a better player when he doesn't shoot three's too much.

Fellow fans, remember this?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGxvM8HT6KU
:lol:

I remember I was so mad when we got sixth pick in the 2008 NBA Draft on NBA Lottery Selection night. I wanted Derrick Rose or Russell Westbrook. I admitted that I was one of guys who wanted Bayless over Gallinari when we were on the clock. I wanted the Knicks to draft a point guard after we hired D'Antoni.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA · 39m39 minutes ago
Memphis has agreed to trade Luke Ridnour to Charlotte for Matt Barnes, league sources tell Yahoo.

Wonder if the Grizzlies are interested in Jose Calderon.

I think everybody just has this stereotype about overseas players where they automatically dislike them :lol:

yeah, it's kind of unfair. a bit xenophobic too in my opinion

I don't think it's unfair at all. Not a large number of foreign players are drafted and a large number are busts. Here's a few names drafted all in the top 20. Some never even played here and they were top 15 pics :x

Jiri Welsch
Yi Jianlian
Frederic Weis
Yaroslav Korolev
Nikoloz Tskitishvili
Hasheem Thabeet
DeSagana Diop
Rafael Araújo
Vladimir Radmanovic
Andris Biedrins
Zarko Cabarka
Oleksiy Pechorev
Alexis Ajinca
Aleksandar Radojevic
Fran Vasquez
Mouhamed Sene
Jerome Moiso

How can you look at these names and want to draft a foreign player? I don't trust it and this is why. The best part is every year there is a new one. This guy is almost 7 feet, great ball handing, he can shoot, he can rebound and he can do it all. This time is different. This story is damn near every year and always has the same result.

Last edited:
I LOVE that Thabeet is labeled a "foreigner." Guaranteed that if he was an all-star right now, he would be "from UConn." 
roll.gif

If Thabeet is labeled a foreigner than so should Ewing and Hakeem. Matter of fact, so should Mudiay, and wouldnt that make this entire argument moot? 
nerd.gif

Also, you left off Bargs 
wink.gif

I'm not saying I like Zinger because he is a foreigner. I like Zinger because I like Zinger. I feel that there is something special about him, but just like any of yall I could be wrong.

These kids are all unknown risks, I'm not going to unfairly judge Zinger because he is from a different country, especially because he seems to be the most devoted Euro player I have ever seen to change the misguided "Soft Euro bust" label inevitably following him around... As well as the most intriguing prospect from a basketball skillset point of view. But there is more to him than that, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom