2015 NY Knicks offseason thread, Los Almighty appreciation thread

The list of American busts is probably even longer. Who cares where they are from as long as they can ball.

The vast majority of our picks have been American, and the vast majority of them have been mediocre.

way i look at it you have mudiay who can step in today nd be effective while being good to great for the next decade

or

you can wait and hope zinger goes where he can go

I left off plenty of names, that was just a quick list.

The drafting American vs Foreign players argument is great. It's completely different, when you draft 50 plus American players every year, of course there will be busts. You draft 5 foreign players a year and when none of them reach potential or even play here, that list of foreign busts holds much more weight than american busts.

There's something special about Zinger just like there was something special about every player that I listed. Foreign players are used to a different game. It can work out but the chances are very slim. We're basically drafting a foreign high school kid. That doesn't sound like a good move at all and that's why I think Phil is blowing smoke, trying to get 1-3 to pick him.

There's still a higher percentage of foreign lottery busts in the last 20 years or so.

It's not even about xenophobia, players have to adjust to a whole different Nation and culture....before we even start getting into basketball related issues.

Add our savage *** city and the added difficulty of developing a 7 footer into the mix....I don't know bros.

Even for super confident swing men like Mario Hezonja and Gallo, its a little easier.

Last edited:
If the NBA draft was like 7-8 rounds, I would have no problem drafting foreign players in later rounds. I would never pick a foreign player in the first round, that's just me. It's worked out probably less than 10% of the time.

we can't afford taking a foreigner and he doesn't pan out.

That's the whole thing.

The stakes are so high at this point.

Phil's current free reign, is the only glimmer of hope we have, in the abyss of Dolan's ownership.

If we draft Zinger and he doesn't pan out, we're in for at least another decade of purgatory.

The East is weak and Dolan has stepped back, we've gotta make this pick count.

Last edited:
The list of American busts is probably even longer. Who cares where they are from as long as they can ball.

The vast majority of our picks have been American, and the vast majority of them have been mediocre.

Different sample sizes. You can't really compare a list of let's say 100, to a list of 100,000 :lol:

I left off plenty of names, that was just a quick list.

The drafting American vs Foreign players argument is great. It's completely different, when you draft 50 plus American players every year, of course there will be busts. You draft 5 foreign players a year and when none of them reach potential or even play here, that list of foreign busts holds much more weight than american busts.

There's something special about Zinger just like there was something special about every player that I listed. Foreign players are used to a different game. It can work out but the chances are very slim. We're basically drafting a foreign high school kid. That doesn't sound like a good move at all and that's why I think Phil is blowing smoke, trying to get 1-3 to pick him.
I used to think the same thing until I realized a bust is a bust regardless of the situation. Yeah you can say more Americans are drafted so they'll be more busts but you would think maybe the problem with Europeans isn't the players but the people doing the scouting. These players don't bust cause their European they bust because they weren't that good to begin with and the people scouting them didn't do their jobs right. So then you end up with a lot of subpar players even with smaller numbers.

So I don't really care where they come from as long as they can ball. This isn't necessarily a for Kristaps argument but if he the best player available then it is what it is.

There just aren't that many great foreign players in the world that can come into the NBA and rise to the top, period.

It's not about the scouts.

You can look like a combo of Jesus x Magic Johnson abroad and come to the NBA and be Ricky Rubio.

It's like Euro soccer leagues, looking for top talent among US soccer players. They're going to strike out a whole lot more than they find diamonds in the rough.

U.S. is far and away the undisputed home fro basketball talent. Makes sense to place your bets on homegrown talent.

You got Tony Parker, the Gasol Brothers, Manu & Dirk as real premier foreign players.....that's it.

I personally don't like those odds.

Last edited:
Chad Ford's updated mock draft still has us taking Mudiay. He has Suns taking WCS at #13.

:nerd:

30co9p4.jpg

it's weird cause in baseball foreign talent translates almost just as well or better than american talent.

Yup.

Cause international baseball programs in Latin American and Asia are far more developed than International basketball programs.

U.S. imperialism spread baseball abroad since the 50's. The International community didn't voluntarily start caring about basketball until the Dream Team in the 90's.

There just aren't that many great foreign players in the world that can come into the NBA and rise to the top, period.

You can look like a combo of Jesus x Magic Johnson abroad and come to the NBA and be Ricky Rubio.

It's like Euro soccer leagues, looking for top talent among US soccer players. They're going to strike out a whole lot more than they find diamonds in the rough.

U.S. is far and away the undisputed home fro basketball talent. Makes sense to place your bets on homegrown talent.

You got Tony Parker, the Gasol Brothers, Manu & Dirk and real premier players.....that's it.
I get what your saying, don't even get me wrong. But look at where these guys were picked.

Parker, 28th pick, 1st round
Pau, 3rd pick, 1st round
Marc, 48th pick, 2nd round
Manu, 57th pick, 2nd round
Dirk, 9th pick, 1st round

Three first rounders, two of them lotto picks. Four of these guys were taken outside the lotto. Your telling me that this isn't a case of bad scouting? All those guys are or were stars and if they were projected properly they would've been taken in the lotto. Hell that's isn't even a Euro problem, because you have guys like Butler, Kawhi, and Ben Wallace going late first to being completely underrated. The issue ain't the players IMO.

Last edited:

You got Tony Parker, the Gasol Brothers, Manu & Dirk and real premier players.....that's it.
I get what your saying, don't even get me wrong. But look at where these guys were picked.

Parker, 28th pick, 1st round
Pau, 3rd pick, 1st round
Marc, 48th pick, 2nd round
Manu, 57th pick, 2nd round
Dirk, 9th pick, 1st round

Three first rounders, two of them lotto picks. Four of these guys were taken outside the lotto. Your telling me that this isn't a case of bad scouting? All those guys are or were stars and if they were projected properly they would've been taken in the lotto. Hell that's isn't even a Euro problem, because you have guys like Butler, Kawhi, and Ben Wallace going late first to being completely underrated. The issue ain't the players IMO.

I see what you're saying.

That's a good point.

It could be that foreign talent is such a crapshoot, that it's hard to tell who will develop into a star and who won't.

it's weird cause in baseball foreign talent translates almost just as well or better than american talent.

Yup.

Cause international baseball programs in Latin American and Asia are far more developed than International basketball programs.

U.S. imperialism spread baseball abroad since the 50's. The International community didn't voluntarily start caring about basketball until the Dream Team in the 90's.
There also isn't a difference in the game, for the most part, in baseball. With basketball there are a lot of different rules and concepts that don't translate to the states.

Back
Top Bottom