2016 Official NBA Off-Season Thread: Former Greatness

whiteside CAN afford to lose a few mil for the sake of the team, if HOF bound bosh, wade, AND lebron could do it...so can he. yes his family may be broke, but this is the same team that pulled him out of YMCA gyms and put him as the #2 biggest catch of the offseason. dont play urself.

This is exactly what I'm hoping Pat says to him during their meeting.

He can be the face of the Lakers right now. And be the feature player and whatever money difference in taxes can be made up exponentially in the LA market.

So you want him to wait until his is 30, half his prime is over, to become the new face of the team and bank on free agents coming to make the team better?  Why not leave now, get paid max money, and go to a situation that will be better in the future?

You heat fans are god damn delusional.
no youre just too dense to realize despite it being explained 5 times in the past 25 posts that him taking a few million less, would be EQUAL to any other team's max offer. ill break it down for you cuz reading is difficult. miami's dollar, is worth more than every other team's dollar, because he wouldnt be paying a state tax on his salary. so if hes worried about a max contract miami can slice a FEW million off the top of his contract and he wouldn't see a difference.

so what is this better situation? the struggling lakers? mavericks who cant get over the hump? whiteside is heavily invested in miami as a city already. should he just cut his losses for the same amount of money and go to a team he hopes will be better? i rather be surrounded by HOF players than draft picks and average players when im in my prime. what do u think?

Wade having his best season in 3 years don't mean ****. He still 34 with knee problems. Those are facts.

Unfortunately Bosh has serious health concern but it's a fact.

And Dragic had a down year.

He can be the face of the Lakers right now. And be the feature player and whatever money difference in taxes can be made up exponentially in the LA market.
why be the face of a trash team? tf? he could go play for any trash team and be the face of it. thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard. and you think LA will give more endorsements than miami? theyre the same except the lakers dont even have an identity. they have a hated player at the helm of the team, their anchor just left. and u think the difference in taxes will be made up? HOW? who is eating off endorsements on the lakers now that kobe is gone? what are yall even talking about? cuz they put the snitch in one commercial to make fun of himself all the sudden everyone in LA is getting endorsement money? lmaoooooooo

whiteside out in miami hanging with khaled getting his claws in miami's business side. and yall want him to go to LA so he can be in a foot locker commercial.
roll.gif

Last edited:

no youre just too dense to realize despite it being explained 5 times in the past 25 posts that him taking a few million less, would be EQUAL to any other team's max offer. ill break it down for you cuz reading is difficult. miami's dollar, is worth more than every other team's dollar, because he wouldnt be paying a state tax on his salary. so if hes worried about a max contract miami can slice a FEW million off the top of his contract and he wouldn't see a difference.
As a tax accountant, I can tell you the idea that he would pay 0 state tax is 100% false.  For one, many states require you to pay tax on income earned in a given state if you worked in that state for a set amount of days.  When Fred Hoiberg was still our client, he filed in every state that had a state income tax, not just the state he resides.  

So your initial analysis is completely inaccurate.  Most state rules will require you to file a return there if you worked or earned wages in the state for a week.  

The highest state rates are about 10%.  If we are talking about a max contract here at $24M, even saying that he would pay zero in state income taxes (which is completely inaccurate) we are talking about $2.4M.  If I recall correctly, Miami with cap holds has about $20M to offer.  

So please do educate me more about taxes.

Last edited:

As a tax accountant, I can tell you the idea that he would pay 0 state tax is 100% false.  For one, many states require you to pay tax on income earned in a given state if you worked in that state for a set amount of days.  When Fred Hoiberg was still our client, he filed in every state that had a state income tax, not just the state he resides.  

So your initial analysis is completely inaccurate.  Most state rules will require you to file a return there if you worked or earned wages in the state for a week.  

The highest state rates are about 10%.  If we are talking about a max contract here at $24M, even saying that he would pay zero in state income taxes (which is completely inaccurate) we are talking about $2.4M.  If I recall correctly, Miami with cap holds has about $20M to offer.  

"There is no personal income tax in Florida.

Florida Sales Tax: Florida sales tax rate is 6%.

Florida State Tax: Florida does not have a state income tax.

Florida Corporate Income Tax: Corporations that do business and earn income in Florida must file a corporate income tax return (unless they are exempt)."

and just from living here... i dont pay a state tax. tell me mr tax accountant, what does ur book say about florida. cuz surely since u had a client who did something, EVERYONE from florida does the same thing.

Last edited:

Florida Corporate Income Tax: Corporations that do business and earn income in Florida must file a corporate income tax return (unless they are exempt)."

and just from living here... i dont pay a state tax. tell me mr tax accountant, what does ur book say about florida. cuz surely since u had a client who did something, EVERYONE from florida does the same thing.

yea I already stated that florida doesnt have state income tax. as did a few others.

Texas, Nevada and Washington don't either.

jimmy just talking now.

Last edited:
Didn't wade just have the most inefficient season of his entire career?

If I were Whiteside I would pick the Lakers over Miami. D'Angelo, Ingram, Whiteside is a much brighter future than what Miami has imo.

You apparently don't read very well.  Yes there is no individual income tax in the state of Florida, but that does not exempt other states from taxing on wages earned in that state.  So for instance, if I am a professional basketbally player who travels to a different state to play a game, I am deemed to have earned income in that state.  As a result, I have earned wages in said state, which triggers a filing requirement in most states.  YOU likely do not pay state taxes because YOU likely do no go into other states to earn income.  That is not the case with professional basketball players.

Again, you have tunnel vision and cannot see beyond the state of Florida.

Last edited:
yea I already stated that florida doesnt have state income tax. as did a few others.

Texas doesnt either.

jimmy just talking now.
like i said before, people start stating irrelevant facts hoping you're too dumb to realize it has NOTHING to do with the topic at hand.

I remember a lot of y'all were hyping up the heat when the anti-bron campaign was popular in here. Of course he went on to win it all. I still picked Cleveland to beat the heat. Turns out they didn't even make it to the ECF. :lol:

I'll be real about my team. They're old as ****. They shoot very poorly. Spo's offense really has no structure. He disrespected Whiteside all year. Dragic doesn't fit because nobody can really run with him. Winslow's offensive game is nonexistent. Even if bosh is healthy, Cleveland would still have the 2 best players on the court next year. Not beating them. Hopefully they'll max Hassan and go after FAs next year. I don't see the point in them paying guys like Batum or Horford.

Last edited:

You apparently don't read very well.  Yes there is no individual income tax in the state of Florida, but that does not exempt other states from taxing on wages earned in that state.  So for instance, if I am a professional basketbally player who travels to a different state to play a game, I am deemed to have earned income in that state.  As a result, I have earned wages in said state, which triggers a filing requirement in most states.

Again, you have tunnel vision and cannot see beyond the state of Florida.
so you're trying to use a constant variable (as in... no matter what state he lives in he will have to pay taxes in most other states for the FRACTION of a time he spends there) to validate why he shouldnt factor in LIVING in a state with no state tax? so because i spend 20% of the year traveling to other states... it shouldnt matter than the other 80% of my time is spent state tax free? is that what ur arguing mr accountant? cuz it really sounds like it....

Last edited:

so you're trying to use a constant variable (as in... no matter what state he lives in he will have to pay taxes in most other states for the FRACTION of a time he spends there) to validate why he shouldnt factor in LIVING in a state with no state tax? so because i spend 20% of the year traveling to other states... it shouldnt matter than the other 80% of my time is spent state tax free? is that what ur arguing mr accountant? cuz it really sounds like it....
No, I am arguing that you are incorrect in your assertion that they will pay 0 state income taxes because you are incorrect in your assertion that they will pay 0 income taxes.

Additionally, if he were to move to another state that did have state income taxes, he would get a credit on his state tax return for taxes paid to other states.  He does not get that credit right now because he is not filing an individual return in florida.

I honestly cannot fathom how many people in here think that if you live in a state with no income tax, you will not pay state income taxes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jock_tax
got it, so you are DEFINITELY trying to use a constant unavoidable variable to reason why he shouldnt be in the best possible situation. brilliant. if he will have to pay a small amount of state taxes in 48 states regardless of where he lives... then it doesnt matter than the overwhelming majority of his income will state tax free. got it.

It's always the regular *** peasant *** idealistic sports fans placing much loftier expectations on athletes than they do for themselves.

"He should just take less money!! Don't you care about WINNING? Look what we did for him!" Man, **** that. How about you kiss my ***. HUGE pet peeve of mine.

Hometown discount. 
laugh.gif
Go ask your boss for a raise, _.

It's always the regular *** peasant *** idealistic sports fans placing much loftier expectations on athletes than they do for themselves.

"He should just take less money!! Don't you care about WINNING? Look what we did for him!" Man, **** that. How about you kiss my ***. HUGE pet peeve of mine.

Hometown discount. 
laugh.gif
Go ask your boss for a raise, _.
u just sound like u dont look out for those who looked out for you to me. and i swear to God, if i have to explain this "taking less money" thing again...

Back
Top Bottom