2023 Official MLB Season Thread

Going to a day game in Vegas in July weather doesn’t sound like my idea of a good time. Also, baseball isn’t the draw that the NFL is and the TV market in Vegas is actually quite small so not sure how that’ll work in their favor.

This just seems like a bad idea. I got it with the Raiders but don’t think this is applicable.

Also sad cause Oakland historically was on of the last urban areas that produced a lot of black baseball players even if it seems like that slowed up post Sabathia/Rollins.

Vegas is road team heaven.

Travel to a fun city and catch your team as well? Nobody will support the A's there IMO

And yeah if that stadium isn't closed with AC nobody will go there in the summer.

Last edited:
Going to a day game in Vegas in July weather doesn’t sound like my idea of a good time. Also, baseball isn’t the draw that the NFL is and the TV market in Vegas is actually quite small so not sure how that’ll work in their favor.

This just seems like a bad idea. I got it with the Raiders but don’t think this is applicable.

Also sad cause Oakland historically was on of the last urban areas that produced a lot of black baseball players even if it seems like that slowed up post Sabathia/Rollins.

It’s going be Tampa Bay West.

Another city without any culture or soul.

Moving to Vegas won’t fix the A’s issues. Only new ownership will. They’ll just have shiny new toys while pocketing even more money.
I think that’s the move. Move to Vegas, have your team value triple, then sell. Cash out big and you didn’t even have to pay for ****

the oakland a's moving to vegas reminds me of the sonics moving to okc in basketball... it sucks because theres history there.... but I get it... these hometown teams want a new place and not something just renovated so they end up moving to another city

I wonder what team is next. Because poor attendance isn’t just an Oakland thing.

All it really takes is an owner pushing the “we need a new ballpark or hundreds of millions in renovations to compete or else we’re moving” lines to start that conversation. Especially if they have lease terms which allow it.

Here’s the NL champion Diamondbacks struggling to draw 12k earlier this year and here’s the Rangers struggling to draw 15k to their brand spanking new ballpark in 2022. You don’t see it on here. But it’s plenty of people pushing the “hahaha Oakland can’t support a MLB team, no one goes to the games” lines who live in markets who struggle to draw 12k on most nights despite having newer ballparks with all the perks and amenities. MLB teams having attendance issues isn’t just an Oakland thing.

IMG_8994.png
IMG_8993.png

The weekends are mostly when these teams get their attendance kick. A Wednesday game for Texas during a bad year and a Tuesday game against a bad Rockies team aren't exactly big draws.

If I was a baseball owner, I think now is the time I'd be looking to sell. Not sure where this sport goes once all the boomers are gone in 15-20.

the oakland a's moving to vegas reminds me of the sonics moving to okc in basketball... it sucks because theres history there.... but I get it... these hometown teams want a new place and not something just renovated so they end up moving to another city
There are differences, though. Fisher never ever wanted renovations done to Oakland coliseum, it was part of his plan to drive attendance down and use it as a ploy to relocate. Seattle used public funds to renovate Key Arena and just a couple of years later were told it was antiquated and no longer a viable nba venue. Sonics fans were held hostage. A’s fans weren’t, they were given an unceremoniously slow, painful, and agonizing death.

I wonder what team is next. Because poor attendance isn’t just an Oakland thing.

All it really takes is an owner pushing the “we need a new ballpark or hundreds of millions in renovations to compete or else we’re moving” lines to start that conversation. Especially if they have lease terms which allow it.

Here’s the NL champion Diamondbacks struggling to draw 12k earlier this year and here’s the Rangers struggling to draw 15k to their brand spanking new ballpark in 2022. You don’t see it on here. But it’s plenty of people pushing the “hahaha Oakland can’t support a MLB team, no one goes to the games” lines who live in markets who struggle to draw 12k on most nights despite having newer ballparks with all the perks and amenities. MLB teams having attendance issues isn’t just an Oakland thing.

IMG_8994.png
IMG_8993.png
I am a little confused as to why you chose those two games to try to argue that attendance is a problem.

You chose a random Tuesday night Diamondbacks game against one of the worst teams in all of baseball. They had a good team come into town a few days later for a weekend series and you know what the series drew? An average of 32k+.

And then you chose a random Wednesday Rangers game against the A's? Those two teams didn't win as many games combined as the Dodgers did. That's as s**t of a matchup as possible. That new stadium smell can only mask the stench of that matchup so much.

And it's a well documented fact that attendance across the league was upin 2023 (another reason its confusing why you picked a 2022 game). A nearly 10% attendance boost is a pretty big number. Attendance hadnt been this high in 7 years.

Last edited:
The Rangers averaged over 31k/game this year and the Diamondbacks averaged over 24k/game…compared to the A’s in dead last at just over 10k. Next closest was 4,100 more than that. But yea, flex your selective stats from previous years.

The Rangers ran over 3MM fans for something like 3 or 4 seasons straight back in the early 10s (spanning those two WS seasons) when they were playing in an outdoor stadium with temps getting into the 110s for half of the home games.

It’s almost like you don’t realize there’s already an entire year (or really years) worth of data readily available to draw off of to show the lack of fan support.

Back
Top Bottom