2023 SAG-AFTRA/Writer's Strike (WGA) Thread | IT'S OVER!

From my understanding, correct me if Im wrong, everyone doesn't get residuals. Like, if you had the "juice", you could work it into your contract but if you didnt, you just took the one time payment. So no EVERYONE, including Barista #2 wants residuals?

Im trying to find a reason to back them up here, but this all seem super first world.
nah basically the reason why studios invested so heavy in streaming over the past 10 years is because its super cheap to make because u have 10 epidoes in a season which is less than a network show
and as other have mentioned there is no residuals
basically because of streaming popping off and obviously not in the previous deal studios went ham pumping more money into it as the ROI was greater
now that they want fair numbers its cutting into the ROI on streaming

I think the arguments would be more compelling if the writers and actors shared their total pay (and not just the residuals). I think people assume the residuals don’t really matter because they are paid a “fair” amount on the front end.

they need to renegotiate how studios are PAID from streaming services. They aren’t paying writers their fair share because the streaming services are hiding their viewership numbers.

As it was before, network tv channels would pay the studios to air a movie or show. It was negotiated that each writer on a project would get a percentage of that sale (residuals) every time that show played. Insert a streaming service, which makes it hard to determine how many times a show/movie is played or not played. So the streaming service gives the studio a flat fee for the rights to stream, which in turn the studios don’t have to share accordingly, because they themselves don’t have the streaming numbers (streaming services won’t release that proprietary information) and it’s not in the last contract that they are supposed to share.

I suspect that another reason why studios were buying up all their old IP’s from Netflix and other platforms ie marvel movies getting pulled for a while, indiana jones etc, was because they needed something to sell when it came time to buckle down during this strike.

I haven’t heard the reasoning behind why streaming services won’t release the exact viewership numbers. Maybe if you don’t know how few people watch certain things, you’ll be more inclined to wanna sign up? But yeah writers need a more fair deal for sure. Studios need huge teams of writers to put out good content. Execs can’t write. Directors cannot. 1 person can’t do it alone, they need huge writers rooms. And salaries that affords a human the ability to live in a home and eat food.

If that doesn’t happen, then the film industry will just become the McDonald’s/Walmart of the world. Low wage desperate workers with no benefits who are subsidized by food stamps, pumping out the cheapest dollar store type product. Nobody wants that. Hollywood and farm crops is the only thing relevant that America produces. We ain’t in the steel or car producing business anymore.

nah basically the reason why studios invested so heavy in streaming over the past 10 years is because its super cheap to make because u have 10 epidoes in a season which is less than a network show
and as other have mentioned there is no residuals
basically because of streaming popping off and obviously not in the previous deal studios went ham pumping more money into it as the ROI was greater
now that they want fair numbers its cutting into the ROI on streaming

From what I saw a writer say, its a bunch of small contracts. Its not 3 year contracts and such, so the have the opportunity to work it in each job they take, no? Are the studios just shutting them out of the option? I haven't heard anyone say that's the case. And then there's things like this:

Its not like this is an absolutely new concept. Note he turned down the big upfront payment. In mind that's pretty fair. There was a risk but he took and won because he was confident in the "product" if you will. It sounds like they want the payment AND the residuals. How can one not see that as, "I thought my glamour job was more glamourous, make it glamourous,"?

i feel like the residuals are like tips and then the studios switched up the tip system once streaming came along.

i feel like the residuals are like tips and then the studios switched up the tip system once streaming came along.

This is the perfect way to describe the debacle. Studios are the restaurant owners. The old contract was that cooks, waiters, and dishwashers are the writers.

The total amount of tips a store would get, is split up amongst the entire staff, at a percentage agreed upon by the Food Labor Union (FLU)

It’s now 2023 and tips don’t really exist anymore. All restaurants have banded together and decided they’re gonna stop accepting tips directly from customers. Now the restaurant owners get paid directly from these new pop up farm owners. It’s 300x more money than they were bringing in from tips and the restaurant doesn’t have to share that money because it’s not coming from tips.

Customers are enjoying the meals you are still making. More than ever. But now as a regular staff member, you are getting paid in Dave & Busters coupons in lieu of tip money. And since most people can’t afford to live off that, instead of having a full staff of 20 people to run the restaurant, you have 3 people.

Tip system has changed. Staff needs to be compensated for their obvious value.

This is the perfect way to describe the debacle. Studios are the restaurant owners. The old contract was that cooks, waiters, and dishwashers are the writers.

The total amount of tips a store would get, is split up amongst the entire staff, at a percentage agreed upon by the Food Labor Union (FLU)

It’s now 2023 and tips don’t really exist anymore. All restaurants have banded together and decided they’re gonna stop accepting tips directly from customers. Now the restaurant owners get paid directly from these new pop up farm owners. It’s 300x more money than they were bringing in from tips and the restaurant doesn’t have to share that money because it’s not coming from tips.

Customers are enjoying the meals you are still making. More than ever. But now as a regular staff member, you are getting paid in Dave & Busters coupons in lieu of tip money. And since most people can’t afford to live off that, instead of having a full staff of 20 people to run the restaurant, you have 3 people.

Tip system has changed. Staff needs to be compensated for their obvious value.
due to the wonders of the internet alot of these companies are also saving money by using contranctors and not FTEs and also using international labor which is soo cheap compared to american labor

it sucks because alot of organizations are being hit and can't keep their heads above water without work, i was talking to someone who is i think furloughing their second worker since this started, its like a 5 person company smh

I think we are headed towards a consolidated bundles.

Some major networks will parter to create a bundle that will basically be like cable.
and it will be prob Disney, NBC, Paramount bundle vs the Netflix bundle.

and that will be it, other than niche streaming services and FAST channels.

As an industry we can't go on like this everyone having their own streaming network, paying huge sums of money to rapidly develop new shows.

Interesting... some of the demands from the strikers are about Ai and how it will be implemented and how their likeness can be used. They are getting a head start on this before Ai gets out of costrikers are about Ai and how it will be implemented and how their likeness can be used. They are getting a head start on this before Ai gets out of control in the film and TV industry. Smart.
If they get a W on these demands it will be interesting to see what other industries follow. Seems like protections against Ai will be needed for many workers in many industries.

Interesting... some of the demands from the strikers are about Ai and how it will be implemented and how their likeness can be used. They are getting a head start on this before Ai gets out of costrikers are about Ai and how it will be implemented and how their likeness can be used. They are getting a head start on this before Ai gets out of control in the film and TV industry. Smart.
If they get a W on these demands it will be interesting to see what other industries follow. Seems like protections against Ai will be needed for many workers in many industries.

iirc, they were asking some of the writers to basically look over ai-generated scripts to make them better and wanted to pay the writers less

IMG_1888.jpeg

Explained in further detail by Michael Jamin

Tl;dr :

-A24 can continue to write and film movies AND actors can keep working on A24 movies during this strike

-because a24 agreed to ALL of the writers/actors demands

-proving that if the small independent studios can afford to do it, there’s literally no reason that the much wealthier super conglomerate studios can’t do it.

Back
Top Bottom