2024 NIKE SB DUNK THREAD_____GRs and QSs added

I need help. Ruined a pair of ‘99s trying to fix midsole separation.

681F8FCB-BF8B-4717-817D-3CDED5828551.jpeg

This happened about a week after unDS earlier this year. The separation was just the glue and upper on the first wear. Then over the span of a week the soles were basically detached and the seams were ripping and frayed as shown in the picture above.

I tried to fix yesterday with toothpicks and super glue but it was a failure. The glue wasn’t bonding and I also didn’t use masking tape and got a glue stain on the toe. I don’t think super glue was a good pick! Total disaster :lol: I don’t really care because there was like 2 inches of seams missing from the midsole and the paint on the ankles cracked bad. At least I know what NOT to do now.

So I wear 7.5/8 in dunks and the ‘99s were a 7.5. Good for length wise but maybe a little narrow for my wider feet. Ive been going with size 8 in vintage dunks since this happened to give a little more width and help avoid the problem in the future.

So I just got a pair of lightly worn vamps and they’re in great condition except I can see where I’m going to eventually have the same issue.

Found the video below and it looks like this guy knows what he’s doing.

Any advice or tips from someone whose made this repair before would be appreciated. Vamps were my first SB back in the day so it’s a special pair for me and I don’t wanna **** them up like I did the ‘99.

Sorry for the long winded post here’s some pics of the vamps and the vulnerable area.

58F4CCCB-BA63-47F4-8EF7-265EA486F83B.jpeg
97DD3768-E231-4D4E-8748-D2B81C5120DE.jpeg

Best way to deal with old glue is to take the whole bottom soles off, clean the old glue off with acetone or a dremal tool with a stone cone tip, and then reglue. But you do need to be careful as you can ruin the leather and the rubber if you leave it on one spot too long if your using the dremal tool. Best example of this is John Manalo on YouTube sole swapping some supreme lows or his other sb restorations.

As for the stitch, you will need to buy new waxed polyester thread for leather and restitch.

The reglueing soles process is hard to get used to and make sure you take your time. Also super glue dont really work as it drys hard and doesn't flex. Don't go cheap out on the glue too.

Best way to deal with old glue is to take the whole bottom soles off, clean the old glue off with acetone or a dremal tool with a stone cone tip, and then reglue. But you do need to be careful as you can ruin the leather and the rubber if you leave it on one spot too long if your using the dremal tool. Best example of this is John Manalo on YouTube sole swapping some supreme lows or his other sb restorations.

As for the stitch, you will need to buy new waxed polyester thread for leather and restitch.

The reglueing soles process is hard to get used to and make sure you take your time. Also super glue dont really work as it drys hard and doesn't flex. Don't go cheap out on the glue too.

Thanks but that is too much to take on for me. I’m not restitching a midsole lol.

Did you see the video posted where he uses barge cement? I’m hoping that’s all I have to do to reinforce the areas where they may separate.

Thanks but that is too much to take on for me. I’m not restitching a midsole lol.

Did you see the video posted where he uses barge cement? I’m hoping that’s all I have to do to reinforce the areas where they may separate.
If you do, it will separate since old glue isn't as good anymore.

Last edited:

Good looks fam. Problem is it has that slight glue separation around the toe box (like I said tho Totally wearable still. Not sure if they would give me a hard time because of it like they did in round 2 or the person the buys them is a pain in buttoks. But I'll check. Any other info is greatly appreciated fambs.

Sz 9.5 condition 8.5-9/10. No box no extra laces. These kicks are the least worn pair of sneakers with the most stories. Lets just say they ended up in DR in my moms crib out there. They were about to give em out to the less fortunate b......almost stabbed mom dukes.

Not srs

Kinda Srs

My PM is open dont wanna get banned from the thread guise

Is it though? I can't be the only thinking we might not even get a full season due to covid cases. Players like Kemah Siverand make me pessimistic lol

As far as the shoes that green is definitely nice my wifes fav. color is green (mine too actually) so I may try to scoop a pair for her.

really suprised there is no alternate schedule ALREADY, diff teams allowing 50%fans vs teams no fans idk whats going on this year but i need my football on Sundays :angry:

Good looks fam. Problem is it has that slight glue separation around the toe box (like I said tho Totally wearable still. Not sure if they would give me a hard time because of it like they did in round 2 or the person the buys them is a pain in buttoks.

You can list defects on GOAT, as long as it matches what they receive you'll have no issues.

The Medicoms don't move me AT ALL. Not big on fur, but if I'm even going to consider it, you gotta do more than just an all black upper. Other than the fur, which I'm not into, I'd personally take my SOMPs, Quartersnacks, Nontourages, Black/Gum Snakeskins, and Black Orange Label Lows all over those. The Civilists on the other hand are dope IMO. They give me Stained Glass High vibes, and I have those already, so while I'll try for them, I won't trip if I miss. I'm curious as to how much warmth is needed for them to change colors. Living in Seattle, I wonder what it'll be like with them in this climate (outside of the good Spring and Summer days we get from time to time). Will they basically be black all the time?

I need help. Ruined a pair of ‘99s trying to fix midsole separation.

681F8FCB-BF8B-4717-817D-3CDED5828551.jpeg

This happened about a week after unDS earlier this year. The separation was just the glue and upper on the first wear. Then over the span of a week the soles were basically detached and the seams were ripping and frayed as shown in the picture above.

I tried to fix yesterday with toothpicks and super glue but it was a failure. The glue wasn’t bonding and I also didn’t use masking tape and got a glue stain on the toe. I don’t think super glue was a good pick! Total disaster :lol: I don’t really care because there was like 2 inches of seams missing from the midsole and the paint on the ankles cracked bad. At least I know what NOT to do now.

So I wear 7.5/8 in dunks and the ‘99s were a 7.5. Good for length wise but maybe a little narrow for my wider feet. Ive been going with size 8 in vintage dunks since this happened to give a little more width and help avoid the problem in the future.

So I just got a pair of lightly worn vamps and they’re in great condition except I can see where I’m going to eventually have the same issue.

Found the video below and it looks like this guy knows what he’s doing.

Any advice or tips from someone whose made this repair before would be appreciated. Vamps were my first SB back in the day so it’s a special pair for me and I don’t wanna **** them up like I did the ‘99.

Sorry for the long winded post here’s some pics of the vamps and the vulnerable area.

58F4CCCB-BA63-47F4-8EF7-265EA486F83B.jpeg
97DD3768-E231-4D4E-8748-D2B81C5120DE.jpeg

For as many years as I've heard people talk about dunk sole separation, that exact video is the one I've seen referenced. Never did it myself. Barge cement is certainly the "industry standard" although back in my day we used e6000 (anyone remember sea glow for icy soles :lol:)

Back
Top Bottom