Because we don't want an all star to just walk away.. and Amare or Bosh are not guaranteed they have options just like we have options

[h1]Knicks Scouting Lithuanian Forward[/h1]Apr 22, 2010 11:30 AM EST
Knicks' executive Glen Grunwald and international scout Kevin Wilson have scouted forward Mindaugas Kuzminskas on two occasions.

The 20-year-old forward has announced the he will enter this year's NBA draft, though he may still withdraw his name and wait another year.

Kuzminskas is averaging 17.5 points, 6 rebounds and 2.2 assists per game.

[h2][/h2]
[h2]Ewing: Leaving Knicks was a mistake[/h2][h3]A decade later, Patrick regrets the franchise still hasn't recovered from trading him[/h3]

By Shaun Powell
Special to ESPNNewYork.com
Archive

The rolling stone that gathered lots of badmemories as it swelled for 10 years and crushed the dreams and hopes ofa franchise began with a simple push, which Patrick Ewing feels remorseful for applying.

Thereare many who are far guiltier of creating the Decade of Disaster forthe Knicks. Yet nobody feels worse about it than the one whounintentionally sent them careening.

"If I had it to do all over again," said Ewing. "I wouldn't have requested a trade."

[h4]Wish You Were Here[/h4]
nba_g_ewing11_65.jpg
The Knicks have gone downhill since Patrick Ewing left New York in 2000. How bad have they been? here's a statistical look:
[table][tr][th=""]
[/th][th=""]With Ewing[/th][th=""]Since Ewing[/th][/tr][tr][td]Seasons[/td][td]1985-2000[/td][td]2000-2010[/td][/tr][tr][td]W-L[/td][td]668-530[/td][td]327-493[/td][/tr][tr][td]Win %[/td][td].558[/td][td].399[/td][/tr][tr][td]Playoff appearances[/td][td]13[/td][td]2[/td][/tr][tr][td]Years in playoffs %[/td][td]86.7[/td][td]20.0[/td][/tr][tr][td]Playoff W-L[/td][td]80-73[/td][td]2-7[/td][/tr][tr][td]Win %
in playoffs[/td][td].523[/td][td].222[/td][/tr][tr][td]First round[/td][td]11-2[/td][td]0-2[/td][/tr][tr][td]Conf. semis[/td][td]4-7[/td][td]--[/td][/tr][tr][td]Conf. finals[/td][td]2-2[/td][td]--[/td][/tr][tr][td]NBA Finals[/td][td]0-2[/td][td]--[/td][/tr][/table]

Who knew that a simple yet firm demand, made in 2000,would still be haunting the Knicks today? The franchise brass certainlydidn't. Neither did Ewing, who today serves as an assistant to Stan VanGundy on the Orlando Magic bench. Speaking before Game 1 of the Magic-Charlotte Bobcatsseries, Ewing made it clear he still feels bad about leaving New York.In retrospect, the trade of Patrick Ewing caused the same impact as thedrafting of Patrick Ewing. Just as the Knicks saw their fortunes soarwhen former general manager Dave DeBusschere pounded his fist at thedraft lottery on the pivotal day that enabled the Knicks to get Ewing,his trade subsequently prompted plenty more clenched fists pounded foraltogether different reasons.

It certainly isn't an anniversary worth celebrating in New York. Notwhile the NBA playoffs are currently percolating, to use a ClydeFrazierism, in places like Cleveland, Charlotte, Milwaukee and (getthis) Oklahoma City. The sheer damage caused by the horrible decisionto trade Ewing must be assessed, if only to cite how desperately thefranchise has fallen on the eve of the Great Free Agent Summer Chase.

Back in late summer of 2000, the Knicks sent Ewing to Seattle. Itwas a panic move. It was a stupid move. They refused to extend hiscontract beyond the one year remaining on it, were wary about hisskills, and didn't want to deal with the possibility of a grumpy, agingstar in a tabloid city. The Knicks figured: This is Latrell Sprewell'steam now. So they caved to Ewing, who felt beaten down by the burden ofwinning a championship and beaten up by the only team he ever knew.

"Everybody was talking about how the team was better off without me, so ... " he said, leaving you to finish the thought.

The trade was insane because, even at the time, it didn't makesense. Ewing's final year paid roughly $18 million. All the Knicks hadto do was sit tight, deal with a star in his twilight for one season,then watch as those millions melted off the salary cap. Then theycould've used the money on someone else, as Orlando did that summerwith Tracy McGrady.

[+] Enlarge
Fernando Medina/NBAE/Getty ImagesPatrick Ewing doesn't smile when he thinks of the current Knicks.

Instead, Dave Checketts agreed to take a bag of bad contracts inreturn, removing the Knicks from free agency and laying the foundationfor the worst decade in franchise history.

In order to trade Ewing, the Knicks had to take Luc Longley and Glen Riceand other lumps of coal; nobody was giving them expiring contracts ortalented players for someone who eventually reminded folks of WillieMays in his final days with the Mets. The Knicks, charging $1,000 forthose courtside seats, were in mortal fear of rebuilding in New York,as if their fans wouldn't understand the reasons for it.

So they swung the deal and spent the next 10 years rebuilding.

Soon after, Checketts left, in a Garden coup. So did Jeff Van Gundy,escaping before all hell broke loose. Sprewell, the Ewing heirapparent, took a torch to the franchise on his way out, then lit intoGarden boss Jim Dolan in a spiteful return. As Knicks general managers,Scott Layden was bad, Isiah Thomas much, much worse. And just imagine, the Knicks once floated the idea of selling Stephon Marbury as the most beloved star since Ewing. Yeah, that turned out well.

How quickly people forgot about the virtues of Ewing. While he didn't deliver the much-desired championship -- and thank Michael Jordanfor that -- Ewing deserved to spend his entire career with one team, assuperstars of his type often do. He forced their hand, true enough, butthe Knicks controlled the situation. Had they not traded Ewing, he saidhe would've reported to camp and played hard. Like always. He would'vebeen professional about it. Again, like always. And unlike Sprewell andMarbury.

Curiously, the Knicks now are right where they would've been in thesummer of 2001: blessed with ample salary-cap space and a big city tosell to free agents. No telling what would've happened back then on themarket, but we've got a hunch about what will happen now. LeBron James will probably stay in Cleveland and, unlike Ewing, spend his entire career with one team. Dwyane Wade will remain on South Beach, where chances are he'll be joined by Chris Bosh,who's ready to bolt the Canadian winters and a stormy situation inToronto. The top free agents look at the Knicks and just don't seeenough talent to win. Maybe, had the Knicks drafted Brandon Jennings last summer, or traded up for Stephen Curry, they would've had a real shot at signing one of the free agent Big Three.

Instead ... Carlos Boozer, anybody?

Most likely, the decision the Knicks made in 2000 will haunt them at least another year.

And it'll be another year removed from the trade that nevershould've happened. As remorseful as Ewing feels, he has nothing on thefans who are still living through it.

Shaun Powell is a regular contributor to ESPNNewYork.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com...ell_shaun&id=5122661

Wow, I didn't think of Patrick Ewing's expiring contract. I really hope the Magic win a championship this year. I'd love to see Ewing getting a ring.

this dude spectacular23 always makes stuff up. Wil never asked to be traded. %%$@ is getting annyoing like the time when he said that donnie told him that their getting lbj.
Guy is full of ducktales.

Originally Posted by DubA169

this dude spectacular23 always makes stuff up. Wil never asked to be traded. %%$@ is getting annyoing like the time when he said that donnie told him that their getting lbj.
Guy is full of ducktales.
roll.gif
i jus remembered.. who was that dude that said Walsh stop and spoke to the media after the game saying that we're gonna sign and trade Lee for Bosh. Sign Camby and Ray Allen, Sign Joe johnson if it fails with Bron?
laugh.gif
.. That never hit the media at all

I still remember to this day my dad yelling for me to come to the tv when news broke that Patrick was being traded. I sprinted over to the railing and looked down and he simply said "They traded him" That's all he said and I can't remember my dad being that crushed when it came to sports.
laugh.gif
Just devastated

I couldn't be happier that Ewing is coaching with the Magic now, not only cause I lived near Orlando and they're my 2nd favorite team behind the Knicks, but because he might finally get a championship.

actually.. i found it

Originally Posted by Spectacular23

Hey Guys, got some info ya might wanna here.

I was Purchasing Knicks vs Nuggets tickets for the 23rd and low and behold Donnie walsh was in the building leaving, a couple of people stop to get some autographs or talk and there was a reporter, We all crowded around him to hear what he was gonna say and this is the god honest truth what he said.
" My plans for next season is to aquire Lebron, if by any chance this backfires, I'm confident enough to trade lee for bosh, Myself and Raptors GM talked about this since decemeber and its a go, Also be on the lookout out for Joe Johnson and slight chance we might get Jared Jefferies back for a low contract since he was a good defender and played perfectly in Antoni system.
I am please to say Ray Allen as also been in our minds as he wishes to be a knickerbocker before he retires and we plan to be that goal happen, Tracy Mcgrady is also resigning with us, Thank you and good night"

I was like
eek.gif
 no effing way.

Walsh will be the smartest man in history if he pulls off something like this, What you guys thing?

vgs8e0.gif

this guy is full of bs just like when he said he drives to jfk back and forth for 4 hours.
This dude needs to be taken off the official fan list.

i've decided that lebron doesn't go hard for Cleveland like alot of analysts think he does. If Noah said #!%% the city of Akron lebron would have went off i think. dude reps Akron and doesn't care about Clevlend like that.
i agree, honestly, lets say some dude from a city i LOVE to go to, lets say Miami for now, started bashin on NY and talking %*!%. idc how many times ive been there or how much i love being in that city, i would deny to god that i have ever been there in my life, burn up all evidence of me ever being there, call the city a piece of %*!% that nobody likes right back at him, and never return. NY for life 
laugh.gif
smokin.gif

and i agree. Lebron has said numerous times that his loyalty is in Akron. He has no loyalty to Cleveland and can sure as %$%+ give a %*!% about the Cavs before he went there, dude grew up an MJ fan rooting for the Bulls, he likes all his teams (including the Yanks) as a frontrunner. dude was probably going nuts rocking his MJ jersey  when the Cavs lost to the Bulls in the playoffs during the early 90s
laugh.gif
smh.gif

At the same time, lebron just might be trying to lead on people to believe this. And why do we still care about lee when 2 players that play the same effin position that he does are coming off the books?! Bosh is obviously pissed ab the situation in Toronto and Amare would love to be reunited with d'antoni and has the type of personality and need for marketability that would be perfect for NYC.
indifferent.gif

maybe cause Lee is a %+#%%%@ beast that has gotten better every year even playing center the last 2 seasons, and hes been with us through the bad times and hes already a piece in place we could use as our only all-star player, and it may be wiser to spend the $10? mil to resign him long term and save the rest of our $ from a position that we need more rather than one where we already have our best player. rather than banking out on Chris Bosh. imo Bosh and Amare arent THAT much better than Lee where i would empty bank and throw a max deal towards them instead of keeping Lee for MUCH less $. i am very high on the idea of keeping Lee.

Gr8 cmon now...

bosh is on another planet compared to david lee. i'm not that high on Amare though. and lee ain't staying for much less money. he wants his 12 million.

Originally Posted by YEEUPP

actually.. i found it

Originally Posted by Spectacular23

Hey Guys, got some info ya might wanna here.

I was Purchasing Knicks vs Nuggets tickets for the 23rd and low and behold Donnie walsh was in the building leaving, a couple of people stop to get some autographs or talk and there was a reporter, We all crowded around him to hear what he was gonna say and this is the god honest truth what he said.
" My plans for next season is to aquire Lebron, if by any chance this backfires, I'm confident enough to trade lee for bosh, Myself and Raptors GM talked about this since decemeber and its a go, Also be on the lookout out for Joe Johnson and slight chance we might get Jared Jefferies back for a low contract since he was a good defender and played perfectly in Antoni system.
I am please to say Ray Allen as also been in our minds as he wishes to be a knickerbocker before he retires and we plan to be that goal happen, Tracy Mcgrady is also resigning with us, Thank you and good night"

I was like
eek.gif
 no effing way.

Walsh will be the smartest man in history if he pulls off something like this, What you guys thing?

vgs8e0.gif

roll.gif

Btw, about Patrick Ewing being traded

I mean the dude was already on the decline. It "seem" that the knicks were better off without him since they would run n gun more with that team they had. But obviously what hurt the knicks is acquiring more contracts from the Ewing trade. I remember they got Glen Rice, then they traded him for Shandon Anderson and Howard Eisley....yikes, that was disgusting lol.

Then it got worse with Isiah trading for marbury...we all know the story, so lets not revisit that lol...

The knicks were just foolish with the money they spent during the last decade.

I tell you this tho- I would have never thought it would have taken 10 years to recover lol...I was 15, now I'm 25. I seriously thought we could have won a championship sometime during those 10 years
roll.gif

Summer of 2010! Lets go! I'm ready!

Gr8 cmon now...

bosh is on another planet compared to david lee. i'm not that high on Amare though. and lee ain't staying for much less money. he wants his 12 million.
Am i denying that Bosh is better than Lee?? All im saying is that do you really think he is THAT much better where you will pay him 10+ mil extra $ just to upgrade from lee (the one player on this team who is already all-star caliber)?? No, you resign Lee for the lesser contract and use that extra 10+ mil in cap space to sign FAs or in trades where we actually have a position of need and you resign Lee long term. plus Lee has been here through the gutter and imo he should be here for the good times as well, plus i want to resign one player at least who has been here through thick and thin and who i know wont give up on this team and i think thats Lee, im not looking to buy an entire different team, hes already a fan favorite, i want Lee around for more than his basketball skills, hes good for team chemistry and leadership. all im saying is i think it would be a mistake not to retain Lee. imo id rather resign Lee and use the remaining $ left from missing out on Bosh to sign Joe Johnson or wait it out along with Curry's expiring to sign Melo next season, or use it in a sign and trade or some %!%# to try and get Rubio, Paul, or any PG out here. i dont see giving Chris Bosh a max contract as much of a priority as i did before Lee had this year this year. Lee was a monster this year and while he is not as good as Bosh, he has bled with this team, will only get better especially at PF, and will demand less $.
im sorry i dont want a bunch of dudes here like Lebron that are coming just to rack up the dollars and be the "first athlete millionaire" dont get me wrong i want Lebron he is the best player in the world, but he has no loyalty anywhere, and is ALL for making the $. Im not complaining and saying i dont want that, but i dont want a team full of that ill feel like the Yanks 
laugh.gif
... Keeping a guy whose been here like Lee would make me as a fan feel alot better about rooting for this team, and you know hes gonna go 100% every night and bleed with this team if times get tough again.

U think lee cares that much ab the knicks? Ur buggin. Dude is signing a contract to whoever is going to be the highest bidder. I'm not mad ab that it's just how the business works. And lee isn't gunna be anything for chemistry considering we're gunna have a different team next yr. And there isn't any 10 million dollar difference between bosh and lee ur buggin
laugh.gif

u say it would be good to save the money to sign someone at a position we need, but there's no pg or c coming off the books in 2010 that is capable of starting for us go sign. Yes, realistically it's more likely we can re-sign lee, but ur gunna tell me that ideally u wouldn't rather get bron+bosh? I'd rather get them 2 and fill our needs with currys expiring wheather through trade or letting it expire, and drafting with our late picks and buying them from teams with bad cap situations.

Originally Posted by THE GR8

Gr8 cmon now...

Am i denying that Bosh is better than Lee?? All im saying is that do you really think he is THAT much better where you will pay him 10+ mil extra $ just to upgrade from lee (the one player on this team who is already all-star caliber)?? No, you resign Lee for the lesser contract and use that extra 10+ mil in cap space to sign FAs or in trades where we actually have a position of need and you resign Lee long term. plus Lee has been here through the gutter and imo he should be here for the good times as well, plus i want to resign one player at least who has been here through thick and thin and who i know wont give up on this team and i think thats Lee, im not looking to buy an entire different team, hes already a fan favorite, i want Lee around for more than his basketball skills, hes good for team chemistry and leadership. all im saying is i think it would be a mistake not to retain Lee. imo id rather resign Lee and use the remaining $ left from missing out on Bosh to sign Joe Johnson or wait it out along with Curry's expiring to sign Melo next season, or use it in a sign and trade or some %!%# to try and get Rubio, Paul, or any PG out here. i dont see giving Chris Bosh a max contract as much of a priority as i did before Lee had this year this year. Lee was a monster this year and while he is not as good as Bosh, he has bled with this team, will only get better especially at PF, and will demand less $.
im sorry i dont want a bunch of dudes here like Lebron that are coming just to rack up the dollars and be the "first athlete millionaire" dont get me wrong i want Lebron he is the best player in the world, but he has no loyalty anywhere, and is ALL for making the $. Im not complaining and saying i dont want that, but i dont want a team full of that ill feel like the Yanks 
laugh.gif
... Keeping a guy whose been here like Lee would make me as a fan feel alot better about rooting for this team, and you know hes gonna go 100% every night and bleed with this team if times get tough again.

david lee is a leader? huh? how would we even know that, he's never been in a game that matters.

loyalty? how is david lee loyal? resigning with us because he couldn't get that 12 million last summer?

i don't give a flying %#%$ about anyone on the team except gallo. (i do like chandler but i wouldn't lose sleep if he got traded) i'm telling you i've never heard david lee throw us a bone. i have no idea why you are so loyal to him. I mean i do undersatand getting attached but.... i just don't give two craps about him anymore.

i don't care if lebron isn't loyal. if he feels he can reach his max potential wealth signing with us that's good enough for me. or if he signs just because we can put him next to bosh. whatever. i don't care about whatever reasoning leads him here. i don't care about the bandwagoners and fake fans. just wana win

And leadership? Dudes not a leader. If he was he wouldn't have let a team with one more year of it's young players getting experience, and another year of gelling become complete garbage, especially when he had a one million dollar playoff incentive.

Lmao man I don't care if ya don't believe me this is just the Internet I'm the greatest knicks fan I live them to death y would I be making up stuff ya don't have to believe and my job is legit wth do I look like a grown #$+ man lying, if ya don't believe me then that's fine but I keep up wit this team a lit so I know stuff and share with ya, if ya don't want me to give an info no more then I won't. This post ain't toward anyone in general just defending myself. Knicks are my squad wheither u like it or not I'm still gonna post for those who care and so far....I haven't been wrong. The camby info was the only info incorrect but who in the world woulda knew he would sign an extension? Not even walsh saw this coming, and camby verbally said he wanted to be a knock go YouTube it yourself. Ray Allen is still in effect, celtics didn't offer him an extension and he made it clear he wanted to test the free agency and the knicks would be a good choice bc it's close to his house in Connecticut. Go search it yourself. Like I said nothing I said was bs now can we just enjoy the summer and let's see who we really sign?
pimp.gif

can we get along?

I still can't imagine Walsh openly talking about his plans in public like that, but I'm not about to call you a liar.

Although reading your last reply made my head hurt
laugh.gif

Everyone relax, calling for removal from "fan lists"
roll.gif
It's going to be a couple more months then we can either breathe easy or completely panic and freak out.

Originally Posted by nYcHipHopHippo

And leadership? Dudes not a leader. If he was he wouldn't have let a team with one more year of it's young players getting experience, and another year of gelling become complete garbage, especially when he had a one million dollar playoff incentive.
the Knicks are $@!@!%@ terrible and if you think that has ANYTHING to do with the play/leadership of david lee than your bugging.
personally, i think all (or most) loyalty is gone in the nba. but i do know that David Lee has been here his whole career, and has turned into an allstar from a nobody. i know that hes been here through the bad times and that he wants to stay here given the right situation. clearly money is an important issue, but i think it would be a big mistake to let Lee go. Personally i think Amare plays no defense and Bosh is the only member of the "elite" 03 class (him, Bron, Wade, Melo) who hasnt won @+%*. i do not think either is worth max dollars and i like the idea of signing a guy like Lee who has been here, is loved in NY, and still an all-star talent and better than anybody in Cleveland for alot less $. Maybe not $10 mil but there should be around $8 mil, anywhere in between 6-10 imo. Than you use that money to hopefully bring in Bron and sign a guy like Joe Johnson instead or even wait a season for Melo which i personally have no problem with i like the idea of Melo here more than Bron, and than look to upgrade pg/c somehow. 

Basically, i am not as into the whole idea of signing Bosh or Amare as i was in the beginning of the year, i think it would be a big mistake to let Lee walk and give them max dollars. Cause giving them max $=less $ for a supporting cast and neither of those guys are impact enough players to take a team without a great supporting cast to a championship (which is the goal?) and i think both will never win as 1st options unless you have a supporting cast like Amare did in Phoenix. Lee on the other hand wont be asking for max dollars, he is definitley one of the top PFs in the league by now (easily top 10 give him that at least) and getting him allows us to put together a MUCH better team around him, where he can be a 3rd option or some @+%*. idk Lebron/Bosh combo sounds big time but i just dont know how that would work with them 2, no pg, no center, and no draft picks, sure wed win, but i wouldnt see that team ever going all the way. However i think wed have a lot more leeway if we saved $ by signing Lee as a 3rd option and looked for 2 other big time guys around him with the rest.

nonothing you said was bs.

Lol u straight up lied about wil asking to be traded and about donnies little talk with fans and reporters.

u might be a die hard knick fan but u come up with total bs. Sounding like an attention !+!*!.

Back
Top Bottom