24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

Any issue or transferring balances from a recently opened CC to a new one?

I have my Chase freedom still in 0% APR until January. My other bank has an offer for a card with 0% APR on transfers and new purchases for the first 15 months. Is there any kind of negative impact on credit score if I choose to transfer my freedom balance to the new card if I get it before January? I can pay it off before APR kicks in, but that will be very aggressive on my budget. My current budget has me paying it off by next May with only about $120+ in interest accrued (not a lot).The new card has rewards and a bonus $500 that I'd want.

I just recently did that myself! I opened a new Chase card (the Slate) got approved for 5500. I transferred all 3 of my credit cards into the new Slate. 2000 from Sams Club card, 700 from Macys and 1000 from a Capitol one card. The Slate also has the 15 months no interest, My payments come to around 250 but I pay 300 a month to pay it off a little faster. This was honestly the best thing I ever did, no lie I felt like i was never going to pay my Sams Card off anymore 150 dollar payment 60-70 went straight to interest. Hopefully by income tax ill have it all paid off, only to worry about it my card. Felt good yesterday to get my Sams bill and have a zero balance on it.

It was a bill from bay area credit services so I'm thinking that's a collection agency. This is my hospital bill were talking about now. Haven't gotten a letter from the bank yet. Only 19 and my ctmredits already screwed. It's straight though I ain't tripping. I'm pretty much not looking forward to getting anything on credit anyways. Don't even know how to check my own credit score

Last edited:
It was a bill from bay area credit services so I'm thinking that's a collection agency. This is my hospital bill were talking about now. Haven't gotten a letter from the bank yet. Only 19 and my ctmredits already screwed. It's straight though I ain't tripping. I'm pretty much not looking forward to getting anything on credit anyways. Don't even know how to check my own credit score

Try to set up a payment plan and pay it off.Then after that send a few Goodwill letters to try to have it removed.

You need credit for a house, apartment, car, loan , etc. Its not the end of the world you don't even know your score, it will be fine.

Tip: If you cant pay off a bill in full all you have to do is pay a little a month and it cant be sent to collections.

just fully paid off my sallie mae loan of $7k so I have less installment loans .now I am down to 2. Will that be a good or bad thing for future and as far as going to get auto loan financing?

Does anyone use SHOPDISCOVER? If so do you guys purchase stuff online and then use other discount codes along with it or does using extra codes void the 5% cashback?

For anyone else who uses Mint, you can now check your credit score for free. As well as other info like credit card usage (total debt and limits), payment history (on-time % and late payments), age of credit, credit inquiries, and derogatory marks.
Just remember those are not your TRUE credit scores, they are called FAKOS  Fico.com is your true scores that you have to pay for

I paid a collections bill 2 mths ago and it still appears has unpaid on my credit. What to do here? I have proof that I paid it. 

Does anyone use SHOPDISCOVER? If so do you guys purchase stuff online and then use other discount codes along with it or does using extra codes void the 5% cashback?

According to their terms, it should void it. It never happened with me tho. I've been stacking codes for over 2 years.

Called Discover today. Told 'em i'd discontinue using my card if they didn't lower by APR. They complied: lowered it from 16.99% to 14 something percent. Still won't use the card though...:lol:

For anyone else who uses Mint, you can now check your credit score for free. As well as other info like credit card usage (total debt and limits), payment history (on-time % and late payments), age of credit, credit inquiries, and derogatory marks.

View media item 1173056
View media item 1173057
View media item 1173058
View media item 1173059

Just remember those are not your TRUE credit scores, they are called FAKOS  Fico.com is your true scores that you have to pay for

Mint merely reports the score reflected on your Experian credit report, so it's legit.

I'm looking for a good credit card to rebuild my credit. I had a chase card years ago, but like most teens with brand new plastic and not using responsibility, **** went sideways.

Any ideas, I don't know what my credit score is for all 3 agencies, but I know my Experian is mid 6s :wow:, yes I do have 2 accounts in collections, but they're old, like 8+ years. The only thing I have credit on is my car, I just financed a 2010 Accord Coupe 9 months ago, made all payments, no late payments yet, but still, credit aint great.

I was thinking about going with my bank, since I have there debit card, why not a bank of america credit card, is that a good idea? I know Cap One is a good start, but like I said, our past is tainted :lol:

Whats a good card to re-start off?

I'm looking for a good credit card to rebuild my credit. I had a chase card years ago, but like most teens with brand new plastic and not using responsibility, **** went sideways.

Any ideas, I don't know what my credit score is for all 3 agencies, but I know my Experian is mid 6s
embarassed.gif
, yes I do have 2 accounts in collections, but they're old, like 8+ years. The only thing I have credit on is my car, I just financed a 2010 Accord Coupe 9 months ago, made all payments, no late payments yet, but still, credit aint great.

I was thinking about going with my bank, since I have there debit card, why not a bank of america credit card, is that a good idea? I know Cap One is a good start, but like I said, our past is tainted
laugh.gif

If BoA is your bank, NO, it's not a good idea. Just because you have an account with them, they won't care when issuing credit. If it were a smaller bank or credit union, that may matter though. mid 600's isn't terrible though, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find a card as long as you continue breathing.

How long does it take for credit companies to report to the bureaus? I paid all my cards off in full almost a month ago and my FICO score/credit karma isn't reflecting that yet

Last edited:
Mint merely reports the score reflected on your Experian credit report, so it's legit.

Nope. I know credit inside out. Those scores are fakos and they are NOT pulled from Experian but Equifax. Those scores are worthless. It would cost waaaay to much to get the licensing to get fico score..

They also tell you as what I quoted below they are fake scores and they pull from Equifax

The Mint Free Credit Score Services is a free version of the Services available to Mint customers. This service includes the following:
Annual single-bureau credit score with periodic updates and tracking as described on the website. The credit score provided to you is an Equifax[emoji]174[/emoji] credit score, based on a proprietary credit model developed by Equifax, which may use information in your Equifax, Experian and TransUnion credit files.

Last edited:
How long does it take for credit companies to report to the bureaus? I paid all my cards off in full almost a month ago and my FICO score/credit karma isn't reflecting that yet
Credit karma doesnt give fico scores, those are fake scores as well. paying off your credit cards can actually hurt you.  Credit companies report every 30 days at the end of month usually on 31st or so,

Creditkarma uses transunion

creditseasome uses experian

quizzle uses equifax

All scores given are fakos

Last edited:

Any ideas, I don't know what my credit score is for all 3 agencies, but I know my Experian is mid 6s :wow: , yes I do have 2 accounts in collections, but they're old, like 8+ years. The only thing I have credit on is my car, I just financed a 2010 Accord Coupe 9 months ago, made all payments, no late payments yet, but still, credit aint great.

I was thinking about going with my bank, since I have there debit card, why not a bank of america credit card, is that a good idea? I know Cap One is a good start, but like I said, our past is tainted :lol:

If BoA is your bank, NO, it's not a good idea. Just because you have an account with them, they won't care when issuing credit. If it were a smaller bank or credit union, that may matter though. mid 600's isn't terrible though, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find a card as long as you continue breathing.
Okay,

So any idea on a good card or who to go to? Def won't be BofA now...

Credit karma doesnt give fico scores, those are fake scores as well. paying off your credit cards can actually hurt you.  Credit companies report every 30 days at the end of month usually on 31st or so,

Creditkarma uses transunion

creditseasome uses experian

quizzle uses equifax

All scores given are fakos
So what constitutes a REAL score? Every time I've had my score given to me for a mortgage, they've always given me these fako scores from Experian, Transunion, & Equifax. If they're using them, I would consider them pretty legit.

Any ideas, I don't know what my credit score is for all 3 agencies, but I know my Experian is mid 6s :wow: , yes I do have 2 accounts in collections, but they're old, like 8+ years. The only thing I have credit on is my car, I just financed a 2010 Accord Coupe 9 months ago, made all payments, no late payments yet, but still, credit aint great.

Okay,

So any idea on a good card or who to go to? Def won't be BofA now...
for rebuilding cap one has a good secured credit card. you deposit 200 and they giv you a card. i have had mine for a little over a year and have gotten my limit raised twice, each at 6 months. i know you said you dont have good history wit em but i would try them first..

How can I find out why my credit score dropped? I was checking in on Credit Karma and saw it dropped by a lot. Went from Good to Fair. I am on time with ALL of my payments so much so that my payment history is an A. The only thing that is a C is my credit history of which I've had for just under six years total.

How can I find out why my credit score dropped? I was checking in on Credit Karma and saw it dropped by a lot. Went from Good to Fair. I am on time with ALL of my payments so much so that my payment history is an A. The only thing that is a C is my credit history of which I've had for just under six years total.

sign up for freecredit report dot com. free for a month and then 20 after, but if you tell them you want to drop it they will let you keep it for like 6 a month.

sign up for freecredit report dot com. free for a month and then 20 after, but if you tell them you want to drop it they will let you keep it for like 6 a month.
uhh. definitely stay away from them!

You won't get your score, but you can find what is reported to each of the credit bureaus at annualcreditreport.com. I think it's $7 each to get your score, but otherwise, it's free to get your report once a year.

are your credit cards maxxed out?

my score from credit karma dropped 24 points because i transferred balances from my 2 old cards to a new one. The new card has 0% APR until April 2015..but i was over 50% of the credit line after the transfer.

Back
Top Bottom