24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

Man I had 80K points on Chase, used it all for Xmas gifts on Amazon

Great feeling

Last edited:
A question for you guys.
So my credit utilization is kinda messed up after Black Friday. I got paid and have a good bit of cash in my acct. I CAN pay $1000 on my card, to get my utilization almost fixed, BUT I don't wanna see that $1000 leave my acct
laugh.gif

What should I do? (It's not like I was gonna spend that $1000 anyways, but I'm trynna save a certain amount of bread by a certain date, and dropping $1000 on my card would push me back)

What's more important? My credit? Or my cash I have saved? My score dropped from 730 to 715 gradually over the past couple months due to my utilization
Glad others answered the same, but if you're not buying a house or car within the next few months then don't even trip yourself out over it. Pay the minimum and use the rest for your holiday shopping or the saving you're talking about. A credit card, when used the right way, is great to allow for some cash flow so that you aren't on a paycheck-to-paycheck chokehold. So long as you don't go way overboard (multiple high limit CC's used to the max) you can probably figure out a way to decrease your utilization if you're in a pinch, be it with that one-time payment or a few payments to knock it down. Your credit hovering from 730 down to 715 is something to be grateful for almost. 
laugh.gif
  Most with these questions aren't even close to above 700. For most of your lending needs, you would qualify. Mortgages are another story though. Still, nothing to worry about right now.

Which cards give the best points? 

i currently have a chase freedom.... 
Truly one of the best CC's in the industry for points. I know there are a lot of higher end cards that probably look appealing, but for everyday purchases for the common customer/person, the freedom is pretty slick.

Man I had 80K points on Chase, used it all for Xmas gifts on Amazon

Great feeling

Yes it is. I went to Miami earlier in the year. I used my chase points for the flight and my barclays points for the hotel.

Which cards give the best points? 

i currently have a chase freedom.... 

Chase Sapphire preferred.
Barclays Arrival.
Amex everyday preferred (this really depends on what you spend your money on but it's good to have an amex)
Discover IT for balance transfers and their 5% categories.

Last edited:
I like chase as well. Discover too. I work for a major finance corp and try to pretend our cards are just as good.... Theyre not. Esp business cards

Imho... Chase >>>>

I got confused. Thought someone asked how much it took to get to the 80k.

How much was used to get 80k?

I got confused. Thought someone asked how much it took to get to the 80k.

How much was used to get 80k?

$80k :lol:
Which sounds crazy. New account bonus (20,000 points) plus maxing out the 5% quarterly bonuses (4 * 7500 points = 30,000 points) would mean you still have to make $30,000 worth of purchases to hit 80k points.

Unless the points carried over, you must be catching flights every week and buying rollies and iPhones for the fam.

I didn't spend 80K to get 80K reward points can't be serious :lol: maybe spent around 7-8K .. 10K max. You get more points if you shop through the ultimate rewards website and also if you rent cars which I do a lot.

Last edited:
I cash out my AmEx points for Nike gift cards then flip shoes for free. Bout to have almost .03 per dollar spent on top of the bonuses on my Everyday Preferred

Last edited:
I have a capital one card. no problems with it.

is it wise to open a chase freedom and transfer the balance?

does closing accounts negatively affect credit or leaving them open, dormant, make more sense?

I have a capital one card. no problems with it.

is it wise to open a chase freedom and transfer the balance?

does closing accounts negatively affect credit or leaving them open, dormant, make more sense?

I'd say yes to the chase freedom question if you're saving money.

If there's no annual fee then leave it open but if there is i'd rather save a little money and take a tiny hit to my credit score.

How much of hit does your score take if you close an account? I only have about 4 accounts and my longest account is about 4.5 yrs old.

I'm thinking of closing my Gold Premier Rewards AMEX that before the annual fee comes around I got it this past August.

How much of hit does your score take if you close an account? I only have about 4 accounts and my longest account is about 4.5 yrs old.

I'm thinking of closing my Gold Premier Rewards AMEX that before the annual fee comes around I got it this past August.
Couple points, but it really depends. What's the credit limit of the card?

I would say it wouldn't be too big of a hit and whatever hit it might be, you'd be able to get back to where you are after just a few months. 

Couple points, but it really depends. What's the credit limit of the card?

I would say it wouldn't be too big of a hit and whatever hit it might be, you'd be able to get back to where you are after just a few months. 

There is no limit its a charge card, but they did send me something in the mail about a 35K limit for pay later or something like that.

I guess I will just see what I want to do in July. I'd rather have the blue cash everyday card.

sup broskis, yesterday I went car shopping and had my credit score ran a couple of times and it was only a 692 for experian, the scale is out of 900, and today I checked my FICO score and it is a 796. why nobody ever really mention the big difference between the two scores?

Last edited:
sup broskis, yesterday I went car shopping and had my credit score ran a couple of times and it was only a 692 for experian, the scale is out of 900, and today I checked my FICO score and it is a 796. why nobody ever really mention the big difference between the two scores?

Fico has their own scoring system but thats a big difference. You have to pull your credit from all three bureau's and see if everything is correct. You might have some negatives on one report but not the other.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom