24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

Anyone got an Amazon credit card?

As much as I buy stuff on there maybe I should take advantage of the discounts.

I have the rewards visa. 3% on Amazon purchases and I think 2% on restaurants and gas stations. 1% on everything else. Honestly haven't used it this year where it would've been beneficial, but I would use it for those categories until my Chase Freedom had the quarterly bonus that gave 5% for those categories..

Anyone got an Amazon credit card?
As much as I buy stuff on there maybe I should take advantage of the discounts.

Get a Discover and take advantage of their quarterly 5%. Max out the allowable 5% back on Amazon gift cards ($1500 I think) next quarter and you'll be set for a while. Chase Freedom Ultimate (not the Unlimited one) also has quarterly 5% for Amazon every Winter, but I don't think applications are open anymore. Holla for referral of a Discover from pretty much everyone who posts in this thread.

For the Amazon card, you need to be the primary Prime account holder to get 5%. It's 3% otherwise.

Last edited:
Ya'll gotta get up on this point system if you do alot of traveling, I signed up for chase sapphire and got the 55k miles. If you need a referral PM me.

Just booked 2 flights from Dallas to Cancun for 30K points and $160.

Then booked my mom a flight from NYC to Dallas for 20k points and $11.

View media item 2078762

Edit: applied for my first cc just now freakin nervous lol need this

Last edited:
I could use some help going with a card. Deciding between the Citi Prestige or Chase Sapphire Preferred. Here are my uses/habbits:

• I use my credit card for daily spending, primarily groceries on weekdays and drinks on weekends.
  • I currently have 2 cards, my first regular wells fargo visa back in 2012 (my first) and Chase Freedom card from 2015 with 108,000 points that I plan on using for just travel.
  • I travel about 4 times a year, but rarely for more than 3 days and its all domestic travel inside the united states (mostly california/nevada)

My use/reasoning between these two cards: I plan on increasing travel from 4 times a year to 5-7 and looking to cover the increased travel costs through the use of points. i tend to book higher end hotels in Vegas, San diego and Santa Barbara and often travel through virgin.

Should I just go for the Chase Sapphire so I can accumulate 50,000 more points and make my total chase points worth about 160,000, or go with the Citi prestige with the travel reward perks and point system?

Thanks in advance for the help team, much appreciated.

Ya'll gotta get up on this point system if you do alot of traveling, I signed up for chase sapphire and got the 55k miles. If you need a referral PM me.

Just booked 2 flights from Dallas to Cancun for 30K points and $160.

Then booked my mom a flight from NYC to Dallas for 20k points and $11.

View media item 2078762

Is the Chase Sapphire preferred worth it at $95/year? Sucks they don't offer like a yearly airfare credit or the like to offset the fee.

I could use some help going with a card. Deciding between the Citi Prestige or Chase Sapphire Preferred. Here are my uses/habbits:

• I use my credit card for daily spending, primarily groceries on weekdays and drinks on weekends.
  • I currently have 2 cards, my first regular wells fargo visa back in 2012 (my first) and Chase Freedom card from 2015 with 108,000 points that I plan on using for just travel.
  • I travel about 4 times a year, but rarely for more than 3 days and its all domestic travel inside the united states (mostly california/nevada)

My use/reasoning between these two cards: I plan on increasing travel from 4 times a year to 5-7 and looking to cover the increased travel costs through the use of points. i tend to book higher end hotels in Vegas, San diego and Santa Barbara and often travel through virgin.

Should I just go for the Chase Sapphire so I can accumulate 50,000 more points and make my total chase points worth about 160,000, or go with the Citi prestige with the travel reward perks and point system?

Since you have the 160,000 points already with the freedom you could get the sapphire 50k bonus, add them up and use the points to book through ultimate rewards or frequent flyer programs to get the best value. Then if you don't wanna keep it and pay the $95 just product change it to the regular chase sapphire or to the freedom unlimited or something. Can't really weigh in on the annual fee and reward pros and cons of the citi prestige but I think somebody broke it down like a page or two ago. Maybe somebody can weigh in again on that

Lmk if u wants a referral for the chase Sapphire preferred.

Great travel card but its main travel partner is SW. Would that make a difference?

Last edited:
Anyone ever lie on their income for CLIs? My pay fluctuates based on overtime. Should i say i make more as if im doing the extra overtime?

I think a good amount of people lie, a little more than normal.

But be careful.... Too much and you will get screwed

Go for the csp since you have all those UR points. You'll need it to fully take advantage of redeeming/transferring the points. Then do a product change like jon said. Make sure before you change the card that you transfer back out the points to your freedom otherwise you'd lose it.

You should look into the amex blue cash preferred if you spend alot at grocery stores. It has 6% cash back. You can also buy whatever gift cards like Amazon and eBay to essentially get 6% back from them too

Is the Chase Sapphire preferred worth it at $95/year? Sucks they don't offer like a yearly airfare credit or the like to offset the fee.

I never pay an annual fee for cards, I usually just sign up, spend the 3-5k needed to get the bonus, pay the bills off in full then cancel at my request. Then I move on to the next card.

I've gotten 3 cards with 55k miles each, within 2 years and have done alot of traveling. Don't believe the it'll hurt your credit if you close a card, it will at first but then you just pay everything off on time.

Some people rather pay the annual fee because they are scared of the credit impact, not me.

If you need a link for the Sapphire PM me too.

I never pay an annual fee for cards, I usually just sign up, spend the 3-5k needed to get the bonus, pay the bills off in full then cancel at my request. Then I move on to the next card.

I've gotten 3 cards with 55k miles each, within 2 years and have done alot of traveling. Don't believe the it'll hurt your credit if you close a card, it will at first but then you just pay everything off on time.

Some people rather pay the annual fee because they are scared of the credit impact, not me.

If you need a link for the Sapphire PM me too.

What cards u got before and after the csp?

Both. The CSP waives the fee the first year so it doesn't cost you anything. Right now is a great time to apply for the Citi prestige card because we're right in the middle of the year. You'll have half the year to use the $250 air credit and you'll get another $250 Jan 1. You'd be up $50 after the annual fee with those credits alone. I wrote why the prestige card is my favorite card a a page or 2 back. Neither card will help you with groceries. Look into the Amex everyday or everyday preferred.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom