24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

View media item 2092065
Going up after I got my discover card :pimp: . On the papers that came with my card it said my score was a 746 though. Credit karma has always been around 700

What else can I do? Obv can't do anything about the credit length. Sign up for a new bank account or something ? I only have an ebanking and a checking account. Sign up for a savings maybe ?

I want the chase freedom unltd for that $175 but I want to take advantage of the discover IT so I'm probably not gonna get another card for a year when the "matching period" is over. Although $175 is probably more than I'm gonna get from the discover promotion. I only spend like $400-600 per month on m card so I'm gonna get like $120 back after they match it :lol:. Chase declined me already so I just gotta take the L

Last edited:
View media item 2092065
Going up after I got my discover card :pimp: . On the papers that came with my card it said my score was a 746 though. Credit karma has always been around 700

What else can I do? Obv can't do anything about the credit length. Sign up for a new bank account or something ? I only have an ebanking and a checking account. Sign up for a savings maybe ?

I want the chase freedom unltd for that $175 but I want to take advantage of the discover IT so I'm probably not gonna get another card for a year when the "matching period" is over. Although $175 is probably more than I'm gonna get from the discover promotion. I only spend like $400-600 per month on m card so I'm gonna get like $120 back after they match it :lol:. Chase declined me already so I just gotta take the L

Credit karma is FAKO scores and they are more times than not going to be lower than your actual Fico scores. A good mix of credit accounts/loans will boost your score more but time will as well. Just let your credit get some age and continue to make on time payments. Bank accounts/savings accounts won't do anything for your credit score

If you have like capital one or amex, they give you a breakdown of your score and what factors are considered and what percent of the population has those factors. Average age of account is the highest factor and you would need at least 8 years to be in the A range as well as on time payments being the highest
 Maybe you can answer one of my main questions I have about the age of your credit history. A lot of people say age is the most important factors when determining your credit score.  They take the age of all of your accounts and average them together. 

My question is this: How do those people who play the points game (IE they apply for cards all the time for their signup bonuses constantly) A lot of them have a really high credit score, but how is this possible? Shouldn't their age of credit history be really low if they are constantly signing up for new credit accounts? Sure you can have some cards for 12 years but if enough of your cards have an age history of 6 months 2 months 1 month etc (from signing up for new point rewards) how can age be that much of a factor?

Thanks in advance.

Maybe you can answer one of my main questions I have about the age of your credit history. A lot of people say age is the most important factors when determining your credit score.  They take the age of all of your accounts and average them together. 

My question is this: How do those people who play the points game (IE they apply for cards all the time for their signup bonuses constantly) A lot of them have a really high credit score, but how is this possible? Shouldn't their age of credit history be really low if they are constantly signing up for new credit accounts? Sure you can have some cards for 12 years but if enough of your cards have an age history of 6 months 2 months 1 month etc (from signing up for new point rewards) how can age be that much of a factor?

Thanks in advance.

Credit history is only 15% of your score. Amounts owed (utilization) and payment history are far bigger portions of your Fico score.

ce_FICO-Score-chart.png

Which capital one card? APR is annual percentage rate. It's the percent interest they will charge you over 12 months. So if it's 24% APR they will charge you 2% interest every month

Which capital one card? APR is annual percentage rate. It's the percent interest they will charge you over 12 months. So if it's 24% APR they will charge you 2% interest every month
Letter in the mail is saying capital one platinum mastercard. And all CCs charge interest every month im assuming?

Letter in the mail is saying capital one platinum mastercard. And all CCs charge interest every month im assuming?

Yup. A lot of cards have a zero percent interest period though for 6, 12, 18 or other months. I mean the platinum card won't earn you any rewards or anything I don't think. You can get it but if I were you I would get a card that at least gives some kind of cash back. Might as well earn money while you spend it

Yup. A lot of cards have a zero percent interest period though for 6, 12, 18 or other months. I mean the platinum card won't earn you any rewards or anything I don't think. You can get it but if I were you I would get a card that at least gives some kind of cash back. Might as well earn money while you spend it
Good point which is why I think I'm leaning towards discover card as my first since I'm sure its easiest to get approved and the cash back rewards

Whatever you do, don't get the Platinum from Capital One. I've posted many times in here how they won't let me upgrade mine to a Quicksilver card (I hate the annual fee + no rewards on the Platinum and don't wanna close it out because it's my oldest card).

Try for the Discover IT card first. Even my 19yo brother got approved and he had no credit history prior.

Good point which is why I think I'm leaning towards discover card as my first since I'm sure its easiest to get approved and the cash back rewards

Yea bro discover likes thin profiles so as long as you don't have any collections on your credit report you should get approved. I can get you a referral link too for $50 cash back

Last question for today... What's apr like for the discover card?

EDIT: About to apply and see it asks for month/housing/rent payment. I currently do not pay rent for my own place yet so how would I go about this?

Last edited:
Last question for today... What's apr like for the discover card?

EDIT: About to apply and see it asks for month/housing/rent payment. I currently do not pay rent for my own place yet so how would I go about this?

Mine is 11.24% after the first year.

I have a secured card I got 8 years ago back when I had horrible credit.

I only got it to reestablish my credit. My credit has improved quite a bit in the last 8 years but I never actually got another credit card because I've always had the cash to buy whatever I needed.

Outside of my house and my cars I've never actually had to use credit but I've got into the cashback/sign up bonus juug the last 4-5 months and I've opened 4 new credit cards.

Honestly I don't need them but I see the cash back as free money I midas well flourish off.

The secured card has an annual fee and I think I put down a $250 deposit. What do I lose by cancelling that card and getting that deposit back? I know it will lower the average age of my accounts but honestly as long as I stay above a 720 I really don't care.

I don't get these FICO scores. Last month my discover FICO was at 749. This month it's at 796. I didn't do anything major, I carry over small balances every month that are pretty much the same amount every month.

What scoring system is CITI using? My AMEX,discover, and BOA scores are always within 1-2 points of each other but my citi is always like 10-20points lower than those

What scoring system is CITI using? My AMEX,discover, and BOA scores are always within 1-2 points of each other but my citi is always like 10-20points lower than those

FICO 8. The difference could just be due to the date the score is checked.

I don't get these FICO scores. Last month my discover FICO was at 749. This month it's at 796. I didn't do anything major, I carry over small balances every month that are pretty much the same amount every month.

Did you have any negatives on your report that fell off? A bunch of inquiries that fell off or didn't factor into your score anymore?

Back
Top Bottom