24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

Went with 4 friends to a restaurant covered by the priority pass last week. It was supposed to be $30 for me and $30 for a guest ($60) total. For some reason, she gave everyone $30 to spend. We ate, got beers, and she gave us beers and bottled water to go. Definitely left her a nice tip. I travel a lot and perks like that is why I won't cancel my CSR.

Keep in mind you also get lounge access and that priority pass which gives you credit to eat at certain food establishments every time you fly. For example, I flew down to LA a couple months ago with two friends and we were able to use alaska lounge prior to boarding which included all you can drink beer. Even though the annual fee is 450 on the sapphire reserved, if you use it correctly and take advantage of the perks its absolutely worth it.

Chase Sapphire Reserve was the best card out there, I'm lucky I signed up early and got the 100K before they changed to 50k.

Alot of people are thrown off by the $450 annual fee, but if you travel frequently this card comes in handy.

I've gotten over $1000 in benefits from this card alone. My returning flight from Cairo to NYC was canceled because of snow last march.

I racked up $500 per covered traveler (me and my Fiance), they reimbursed me the $1,000 after showing the receipts.

TSA $100 Credit
Travel $300 Credit
Trip Delay/Cancellation
Lost/Damaged Luggage
Priority Pass Membership
Primary Rental Car Coverage
No Foreign Transaction Fees
Roadside Assistance

Plan on getting chase freedom as my next cc anybody have experience with it etc?

Looking into it right now but hoping it has a rewards system towards travel points. If not what do you recommend for travel points?

Plan on getting chase freedom as my next cc anybody have experience with it etc?

Looking into it right now but hoping it has a rewards system towards travel points. If not what do you recommend for travel points?
chase freedom deff has nothing for travel i think u might be thinking chase saphire

Freedom points are just regular points, not Chase UR points which are for travel.

If you get a Freedom AND a UR-earning card you can use the Freedom points for travel, but you have to have at least one UR card.

It's not good for travel points, there's better cards that work for that. I have the Freedom card where you get 5% on different categories. They had 5% on paypal last quarter, very useful.

Just got an CLI on my Discover IT. Planning on applying for either Chase Freedom Unlimited or Amex Blue Cash Everyday sometime next month. Anyone suggest one or the other?

Just got an CLI on my Discover IT. Planning on applying for either Chase Freedom Unlimited or Amex Blue Cash Everyday sometime next month. Anyone suggest one or the other?

Depends on your spending habits. If you spend a lot on groceries and gas it may work out that you get more rewards from that card, you'd have to crunch the numbers to see. It's also much easier to get an AMEX credit increase than a Chase one.

For those rebuilding and have disputes that wont be removed consider writing a goodwill letter.

I wrote one for credit one to their CEO/president via email asking for forgiveness for a 2 year old charge off. Was causing all sorts of problem because of the deliquency status.

Basically told them I was young, dumb and irresponsible. Sent me a letter 2 days later saying they'd remove is from credit report. 3 days later gone.

Although I know credit karma isn't the best way to go as far as telling your true score my transunion has jumped from low 500s to currently a 770 in a bout a year and half.

Keep pursuing guys

I no longer have any debt and the only thing I can do is let my length of credit grow.

Considering opening a new account but it would be purely for the sign up bonus.

damn excited chase slate sent me an offer to transfer balance at no 0 APR after 8 yrs with the credit card. thought those offers were only valid for the first month or so

facebook_share.png

Quick update my fico jumped up 87 points to finally match my transunion.

749 score across the board.

Aiming for a house within the year. Hopefully this helps.

No more negative anything with all cards paid off

Thanks brodie. What i really meant to ask was do you guys recommend me starting my credit journey with my bank or with a separate card holder like capital one?

Doesn't matter much, imo, but I started with my bank's cards

I personally have:
2 cards with my bank (CapOne --> VentureOne + Quicksilver -- no annual fees) --> stingy with the credit limit increases
1 DiscoverIT card --> great customer service + generous credit limit increases

So I opened a credit card with a furniture store a couple of months back when I bought a mattress. The only reason I opened it was for the interest free financing for 6 months. If I close the card after the 6 months, will it impact my credit score?

So I opened a credit card with a furniture store a couple of months back when I bought a mattress. The only reason I opened it was for the interest free financing for 6 months. If I close the card after the 6 months, will it impact my credit score?

Mistake.

Your CScore will certainly take a hit closing that card after 6 months. I vehemently encourage my clients to NEVER open store cards. If you wanted 0% APR, there's a slew of CCs that offer 12+ months of zero percent interest plus cash back bonuses. Store cards offer low credit limits, little incentives and high interest rates. Avoid them at all costs.

/rant

Back
Top Bottom