24+ y/o NTers, give some advice to us younger NTers

1) read books
---In order to do this regularly for non regular readers simply make a serious effort to read TEN MINS a day. If you find that you're enjoying it after ten mins, don't stop. Eventually your reading comp will increase for faster reading and your ability to speak will skyrocket.

2) eat healthy
---- can't stress this enough. I even choose female companions based on their standard of diet. The short/intermediate/long term effects are incredible

3) lift weights
---- again, cant stress this enough. Just put your body under stress a few times a week. especially if you are a cubical warrior

4) set goals
--- short term, long term, etc. Just set goals and see how you do. financial, family, relationships, anything.

5) have as much sex as possible without compromising your health or the health of others

- you're gonna die. having money is cool and it's helpful to have, but it's not the end all. when you're on your deathbed you won't give a #%$# how much money you earned, you're gonna be thinking about your family, and whether you told them you loved them and you showed them you loved them, and you're gonna think about whether you squandered your time, or you enjoyed yourself, followed your passion, accomplished great things, did your best, and made the most out of your talents and abilities. anytime i've gone a long stretch being happy on those points i feel like i couldn't be happier.

- find your passions.  sit down and figure them out.  then do them.  work hard at it, and be consistent. can't emphasize this enough. stop talking and dreaming about the things you're going to do, and just do it. don't regret never trying it later.

- anything you're serious about doing, be consistent.  even if you're not the most talented, you'd be surprised how far a good gameplan and consistency can take you.

- meditate.  works wonders for peace of mind, relaxation, concentration and mental toughness. alot of times the best 20 minutes of my day are when i just sit still.

- be kind to people. all people.  everyone.  especially family and friends. and  even the d!ckheads if possible.  in society nowadays it's like the in thing to hate on and trash people.  but it's not really cool and it's not healthy.  the coolest @+#%*@%+#!%@% always tend to get along with everybody. try to be better than that and be a positive influence whenever possible.

- as a man, you need to have a path. know your goals, passions, and your principles, and look to yourself when you make decisions. 

- on that note, don't just follow women, or let them control/make decisions for you. never.  i used to think that was kind of misogynistic in my youth, but without getting into too much detail, it's just how it is, your life will work much better that way. you gotta be the man. you're Jordan she's Pippen.  remember that

- you are responsible for you. nobody else.  if you want to be happy, you have to make it that way.  so with that said, don't let anybody else, male or female, show up and take your happiness by imposing what they want onto you.  you only get one life, you have to live it the best way YOU see fit. 

If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss.

Cherish your childhood memories, you'll need them for adulthood.

Originally Posted by imvictor

Originally Posted by DimesLikeHefner

Originally Posted by scshift

I'm in
nerd.gif

OP I thought you were a college grad though?
Nah lol, I'm only 18.. But I'm unemployed and my Dad said he's not paying a cent for my college, and he's kicking me out in 3 weeks so I gotta do what I gotta do
Damn, you're unemployed and he's kicking you out?
30t6p3b.gif
Best wishes OP.

Thanks fam 
-Appreciate all the advice in here guys. And im sure the other youngins do to 
laugh.gif
. Keep em coming 

Make sure you keep exercising. You will never know when all of a sudden notice you have gained 15 (or in my case, 40 
indifferent.gif
)
Live ON-CAMPUS your freshman year of college. If it's not the best year of  your life, you're doing it wrong.

Pick a degree that is somewhat practical. Don't major in art, do that as a minor. I did Journalism/English and I am very jealous of my engineer roommate 
nerd.gif

You don't have to become a stoner, but don't be afraid to try weed or smoke with some different crews. You meet some really interesting people through weed.

You will probably feel like your world is ending at least 2 or 3 times during college due to female issues... remember that the best way to get over a girl is to find a new one. There are always more.

im not that old but i got some advice *shrugs*

if you got a dream then go for it. dont let anyone tell you nothing.
also get in where you fit in. dont try to be someone youre not.
thats all that came to mind as of right now

Originally Posted by scshift

Nah lol, I'm only 18.. But I'm unemployed and my Dad said he's not paying a cent for my college, and he's kicking me out in 3 weeks so I gotta do what I gotta do

Damn taking out a loan for college isn't the best idea, as you probably already know. Honestly I'd look constantly for ways to avoid borrowing that money, find a loophole in the system of something just don't put debt on your head.

Is tuition a lot?

Nah, he just doesn't want to pay for it. That's the type of guy he his. He told me either to join the military or I can get kicked out. Never really thought about joining because I don't believe in war. But you can't really let these things get you down. You got a whole life to live. Make the most of it. With whatever you do
look into jobcorp, they provide you with room, a side job to keep money in your pocket during school and send you on your way with a certification that is invaluable at the end of it all. best part about it is you can file for grants if you wanna get your gen creds out the way at a jc while your at jobcorp, just make sure you use your financial info and not your pop's

- Do things to boost your confidence. More like learn how to be confident. Trust yourself and don't be so damn insecure about everything. Trust, confidence goes a long way.
- Create a "Bucket list" for every important phase of life of your life.

Bucket List

1. things you want to accomplish and experience during college.
2. Before you get married.
3. before you turn 30. (I say this because there are things you can't do or won't be as fun as you get older)
4. Before you have kids (experience it with your wifey)

- Think about the consequences before you do anything. Measure out the pros and cons.
- Try not to accumulate so much debt. You can get nicer things when you get older.
- Finish college and get a MASTER'S Degree.
- Take care of your health. Go to the gym, eat healthy and stay fit.
- Learn how to dress
 - Don't get caught up in the "alpha male" BS. When you find a good woman, keep her.
 - When you see an opportunity, take it. I think this was the mistake that I made. I wasn't an 'opportunist' - I got complacent and procrastinated when I was younger. My life could have been better (i could be wrong) if I had gone a different route. But then again I would never know. Needless to say, I'm still happy where I am now.
- I agree with the dude who said about keeping a hobby, if not learn something new.  An instrument, a new language.  I got into cooking and photography.  

edit...

Originally Posted by GOTONE

im just wonderin, how many of you are actually takin ur own advice? lol
Honestly, I posted stuff that I made a mistake earlier on.  I'm 29 and as I got older I decided to 'fix' my %#$# ups.  So yeah.  The list that I have up there are actually things that I had to learn and believe in.  

Originally Posted by Mr Fizzy Womack

Keep a hobby.

This may not seem like a big deal,but for me it is.You always want to have something you enjoy doing that removes the stress that a career,job and/or school can and WILL put on you.Put in work and all that good stuff,but don't become a slave to that %#%@.

dont jump into a relationship. enjoy ur youth. be young and live your life.

"My mom always said, you want to be happy in life, find something you love to do so much you'd do it for free, then find somebody to pay you for it, " DJ AM.

Save $$$

Don't listen to half the BS you see young dumb & stupid NT'ers post on here hyping dumb stuff up like snapbacks or the dumb ducktales stories you see in the general forum with some NT'er claiming the smashed some chick or they found the perfect 10 girl 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Originally Posted by Retro23J

Go after what you want instead of standing around wondering what if. Daydreaming about what if's is when you had the opportunity to actually KNOW what could have been is for suckers.

Put people that don't respect you or hold you back at a distance.

^ These two really hit home for me.

31 here.

I still remember when I was in my late teens, early 20's, me and my crew would just sit around, get high, and TALK about how what we would do, and how we would it once we finished school, got great paying jobs, yadda yadda yadda.  almost TEN YEARS LATER, some of em are still at it.  We wasted so much time talking/daydreaming bout how we were gonna live it up when we became successful, that we failed to do the work and jump on the opportunities that we could have taken advantage of to actually become successful.

I go back 10+ years with all of my boys (in some cases 25 years back) and I love em all like brothers.  That being said, physically moving out of my hometown and away from my crew was probably the best thing that I ever did.  I was stuck in a rut and didnt even realize it.  I still see my crew atleast once or twice a month, and it really hurts me to see them still suck in the same rut; the same routine.  I'm not saying you gotta turn your back on your boys and just dead the relationships completely, but you young dudes need to realize when they are holding you back and distance yourself from those people and situations that prevent you from moving ahead in life.

Some of my tips

- think twice about going into business with friends or family.  if you decide to do it, think again for a third time.  ANY relationship, no matter how tight you think you are, is susceptible to being destroyed by money.

- be social in college.  those are some of the most fun years of your young life (if you go away for college)

- while no parent is perfect, understand that they typically have your best interest at heart.  dont assume that they dont know anything.  dont automatically disregard their advice.  buried under all that BS they spew are some gems.  in my own personal experience, me and my pops battled like crazy pretty much from when I was 7 yrs old til 27 yrs old.  I always thought the old man was full of it.  if he said stand, i sat.  if he said no i said yes.  you get the idea.  as i got older i started to really understand where he was coming from.  one of my biggest regret is ignoring all of that advice and wisdom, not because of what was said, but because of who said it.

- dont take your health for granted. 

- dont assume you always know whats best.  listen to others who try to drop knowlege and wisdom.  the older you get, the moer you will realize and understand that you really dont know S about S.

I'm 31 and see the same thing. Realest post, I had to quote this again NT. Soak the post above me in your head.  Seize the moment, we all know being in our early 20's is about having fun to the max, but you got to have something to show for it later on. I've made damn near every mistake, and paying for it now, but things are looking up. My advice would be, not to be too hard on yourself. Everyone F's up, Learn from it. And be careful how you F up, some things can not be changed once it's done and over with ( This can be drugs, women, career, family, gambling, anything). Ride, but make sure you don't let all the wheels fall off, you got to make sure you stop and fix it with a spare.

Originally Posted by i just got lucky

- Do things to boost your confidence. More like learn how to be confident. Trust yourself and don't be so damn insecure about everything. Trust, confidence goes a long way.
- Create a "Bucket list" for every important phase of life of your life.

Bucket List

1. things you want to accomplish and experience during college.
2. Before you get married.
3. before you turn 30. (I say this because there are things you can't do or won't be as fun as you get older)
4. Before you have kids (experience it with your wifey)

- Think about the consequences before you do anything. Measure out the pros and cons.
- Try not to accumulate so much debt. You can get nicer things when you get older.
- Finish college and get a MASTER'S Degree.
- Take care of your health. Go to the gym, eat healthy and stay fit.
- Learn how to dress
 - Don't get caught up in the "alpha male" BS. When you find a good woman, keep her.
 - When you see an opportunity, take it. I think this was the mistake that I made. I wasn't an 'opportunist' - I got complacent and procrastinated when I was younger. My life could have been better (i could be wrong) if I had gone a different route. But then again I would never know. Needless to say, I'm still happy where I am now.
- I agree with the dude who said about keeping a hobby, if not learn something new.  An instrument, a new language.  I got into cooking and photography.  

edit...

Originally Posted by GOTONE

im just wonderin, how many of you are actually takin ur own advice? lol
Honestly, I posted stuff that I made a mistake earlier on.  I'm 29 and as I got older I decided to 'fix' my %#$# ups.  So yeah.  The list that I have up there are actually things that I had to learn and believe in.  
Very well said.
pimp.gif

I definitely needed this. Thanks

SAVE AS MUCH MONEY AS YOU CAN FROM THE EARLIEST YOU CAN START SAVING. ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE IN COLLEGE AND GET THOSE COLLEGE REFUND CHECKS.

I LITERALLY SAT DOWN AND COUNTED ALL THE MAJOR PURCHASES I MADE THAT I DID NOT NEED TO MAKE AND WASTED MONEY ON FROM THE TIME I TURNED 18. I COULD HAVE $80,000 CASH RIGHT NOW. SMH.

• Don't rack up credit card debt. If you have credit card debt now, try & pay it off ASAP.
  • Work hard. Learn everything you possibly can about the job you're doing now & become an expert at it no matter how much you might not like it. Become a leader in whatever your doing while providing help to your co-workers. Be a positive influence. This will get you far.
  • Save as much money as you can.
  • Don't buy too many kicks to stock. Average shelf life of stored shoes is 3-5 years max. With the crappy materials Nike uses now, it's not very prudent to get a pair to rock & another pair (or 2) to stock because they'll start falling apart quickly.
  • Learn to be a good person. Truly. Get to understand what the really. Means.
  • If you have a child, be a good parent. It's an all-in endeavor to raise, love, & nurture your child. It's the hardest thing you will ever do so be sure to develop patience if you don't have it already because once you have a child you will truly understand there are some things beyond your control that you will just have to roll with. Although it's tough, you will see having a child is the best thing that could ever happen to you (other than meeting your soul mate).
  • Learn to adapt to change in a positive manner. You can tell a lot about a person regarding how they react to change especially if they get stressed or freak out.
  • Put down the game controler or the TV remote & read more. Not just fiction, but biographies & historical texts.
  • Spend time with your family & loved ones.
  • Stop being such a dbag when someone has a different opinion that you on NT. If you disagree with someone, make you point. If they can't see it or don't understand or don't agree with it. It's ok. This is just a message board.
  • Be civil in life.
  • Eat well (in a healthy way). Learn to cook.
  • Get in shape. Stay active as you get older.
  • Learn who your real friends are & be a good friend back to them. But don't expect anything in return. Just be a good friend.
That's all I got to say for now. Sorry if this kind of seems like it's rambling, I was writting this in a stream of conscience certa way...

Biggest things I have learned:

-Save your money, being materialistic gets you no where in life because when it comes down to it no one cares
-Budget your money! If you do that, you are way ahead of the game
-Try not to be in debt at all
-Dont worry about what your friends are doing in life focus on yourself
-Respect the people that came before you, meaning your elders.

-Lastly the biggest one for me is respect your parents at all cost, and love them. They wont be around forever and when they are gone they are gone. Dont live with regret

If you guys are living at home and have a part time job or a full time job, save and go travel. It is something you will never get to do when you are married or have kids. Take advantage while you can. I messed up and put all my dumb money into shoes and other things like that.

don't let love over take your responsibilities
keep your credit in tack! keep up on your bills
try not to become homeless
keep real friends around you !!
you don't always need a cellphone plan

i'll add more when im off lunch

Back
Top Bottom