4/25 WWE Extreme Rules PPV - Cena vs Batista, Orton vs Sheamus, Edge vs Jericho (p15)

I really don't want to continue the Shelton debate, and make us like look a bunch of "white trash, red necks."
But his passive attitude and lack of leadership is a cop out, not every top dog is Triple H or Sheamus, who watches tape and study wrestling all day. It's comparable to Swagger's laziness (the kid takes naps during live shows), RKO smoking blunts in the locker room, Batista's diva attitude, RVD constantly blowing spots and worked very unsafe, JBL in-ring idiocy, Punk's non-social attitude, and Jeff Hardy being Meth Hardy. When those guys were on top, no one though twice about their backstage behavior.  And you think Brock, Khali, and Kozlov were locker room leaders?

Personally, Shelton smarten up and stop caring. You could tell in the last three MITB matches, he played it safe, and protected himself. Come to work, pick up your check, and go on with your life. And the look on his face when Swagger won the strap on Smackdown, explained it all. 

You can't expect someone to be a Main Eventer, if he doesn't get an opportunity. Look at Swagger three months ago, he lost the All Italian-Italian Challenge, now he's main eventing the next PPV.  Please don't reply with Swagger worked his butt off in those three months to earn that spot, because he didn't. 

Right now we are in a wrestling cycle, where TripleH/Cena/Orton/Y2J/Edge/Batista are playing 3 on 3 basketball in a 5 on 5 game. Until one of them ask for a sub(injured) or passes the ball, no one is getting the opportunity to play or score. 

It sucks, because I believe guys like Primo, Yoshi, Kidd, JTG, Ziggler, Miz, Carlito, Morrison, MVP, Kofi, and Christian (potential Main Eventers), are going to follow the same career path as Benjamin. VINCE PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG. 

Originally Posted by hombrelobo

Originally Posted by Je Ne Sais Quoi

Hopefully Shelton gets work done in TNA, then maybe a few years down the line, WWE will snatch him back up and let him actually win MITB.
Benjamin in the X Division with Kaz and Williams? Yes please.
And place Benjamin with a manager who would do all the talking during promos. 

Shelton needed this for his career.

IMO Shelton needs to quit the pro wrestling game and possibly lean towards MMA.

The guy is in tremendous shape, has a background in collegiate wrestling, never suffered major injuries, and has the resume to fit in that world.

Originally Posted by CaptainCrown

I really don't want to continue the Shelton debate, and make us like look a bunch of "white trash, red necks."
But his passive attitude and lack of leadership is a cop out, not every top dog is Triple H or Sheamus, who watches tape and study wrestling all day. It's comparable to Swagger's laziness (the kid takes naps during live shows), RKO smoking blunts in the locker room, Batista's diva attitude, RVD constantly blowing spots and worked very unsafe, JBL in-ring idiocy, Punk's non-social attitude, and Jeff Hardy being Meth Hardy. When those guys were on top, no one though twice about their backstage behavior.  And you think Brock, Khali, and Kozlov were locker room leaders?

Personally, Shelton smarten up and stop caring. You could tell in the last three MITB matches, he played it safe, and protected himself. Come to work, pick up your check, and go on with your life. And the look on his face when Swagger won the strap on Smackdown, explained it all. 

You can't expect someone to be a Main Eventer, if he doesn't get an opportunity. Look at Swagger three months ago, he lost the All Italian-Italian Challenge, now he's main eventing the next PPV.  Please don't reply with Swagger worked his butt off in those three months to earn that spot, because he didn't. 

Right now we are in a wrestling cycle, where TripleH/Cena/Orton/Y2J/Edge/Batista are playing 3 on 3 basketball in a 5 on 5 game. Until one of them ask for a sub(injured) or passes the ball, no one is getting the opportunity to play or score. 

It sucks, because I believe guys like Primo, Yoshi, Kidd, JTG, Ziggler, Miz, Carlito, Morrison, MVP, Kofi, and Christian (potential Main Eventers), are going to follow the same career path as Benjamin. VINCE PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG. 
WWE is a business. Those guys were at the top because they had the look the offices and advertisers wanted, kissed major butt, or were so over that no one could deny them.

As a fan, it's frustrating. But from a business stand point I see why they do what they do even if as a fan I don't want it to be so.

Money talks. *kanye shrug*

- More TNA releases are expected to happen soon.

- Kurt Angle has been in talks with TNA officials about signing a new contract as his expires this Fall. Word is that Angle has no plans on leaving TNA.

- When the talk first started of taking the World Title off AJ Styles, TNA wanted to do it on iMPACT to help with ratings but put the belt back on AJ just a few weeks later and have him hold it until Bound For Glory.

When the decision came to put the World Title on Rob Van Dam, several officials were against the idea of putting the belt back on AJ just a few weeks later. It’s expected that RVD’s World Title reign will be a lengthy one, at least through the Summer.

- Despite the feud still being hot, there has been talk of ending the program between CM Punk and Rey Mysterio. If WWE decides to end it, this coming Monday’s Draft might be the place to do it with Punk going to RAW.

- It’s being rumored that Joey Mercury will join CM Punk’s Straight Edge Society but that’s not confirmed. Mercury told people last year when WWE re-signed him that the plan was for him to join the group. In addition to Mercury now sporting a shaved head, he’s wearing jean shorts similar to John Cena.

Regarding Mercury’s dark match this past week, he wasn’t even suited up to wrestle when they told him just a few minutes before the match that he had to perform. This may explain the jean shorts look.

- As noted before, TNA has hired a consulting firm to look at their TV numbers and interview fans for feedback. The memories from fans in the males 18-34 demographic of ECW were said to be strongly positive. Based on that research, Eric Bischoff is interested in doing an ECW-like stable in TNA. The idea would be to have Paul Heyman as the leader of the group with guys like Tommy Dreamer, Team 3D, Rob Van Dam, Taz, Dr. Stevie, Raven and Mick Foley, when he returns to the storylines.

There are conflicting reports on Heyman. Some close to him believe there's a chance of him coming to TNA but others don't believe it will happen, as a talent or writer. Heyman was being talked about a lot at the recent iMPACT tapings backstage. Heyman is currently working on two different books, one being an autobiography.

- There has been less talk and sure changes this year for the WWE Draft than any year in the past. Nobody seems to know what's planned but that's normal as even the top guys aren't told if they're being moved until shortly before the Draft.

Batista is said to be a candidate to be moved, depending on his contract talks with WWE. Randy Orton or John Cena is also expected to be sent to SmackDown but neither of these moves are confirmed. Edge or Chris Jericho is expected to be sent to RAW, especially since their feud seems to be coming to an end this Sunday at Extreme Rules.

You know why WWE is mostly all politics backstage? Shelton had everything but true mic skills, maybe He got a bit lackluster but who wouldn't jobbing to everyone?

I know people inside the business don't like us internet know it alls, but with the ideas I have and the ideas I've seen you guys post. We can get a R-Truth over at a KKK rally.

Shelton EASILY could have gotten over. You can get a heel over with simple disrespect and beating down good guys. The Gold Standard gimmick would have did just fine. I don't know if its about skin color, but hey, look around at WWE over the ears. Randy took a crap in a divas' bag before didn't he? Edge screwed Matt by screwing Lita. Jeff Hardy was a addict that they gave unlimited chances to.

Hell look at what they did to Booker T. He should have went over at Wrestlemania 19. But nope. The Omega 1 added another pointless W to his resume. MVP was way over as a heel, could have been over as a face but they ruined that too. Kofi? Who knows at this point. Dude could end up a top star, or a top Mid carder like Christian.

mad.gif

good posts captain crown n rko.....i completely agree

thing with swagger is tha vince has always loved big guys (lesnar, batista to name a few) so he was bound for a push
im still not sold on swagger as champ but that can change sunday

kofis botcning is whats holding him back and heel mvp could get another push, but with guys like cena and omega h always winning i dont see any of the guys u mentioned getting over

they nee to bring back the cruiser/lightweight division back having guys like tatsu, bourne, dos caras and im sure theres more im missing

rko, u think its time to part ways with harang?

Noo its not real... The physical aspect is tough, and I respect that but its pretty much just a soap opera for men.

If there are any more releases coming, my guesses would be:

Chris Masters
Carlito (except that he is involved in NXT)
Jillian
Primo
Caylen Croft
Trent Baretta
Curt Hawkins

And once Vince loses his "obsession" with the Bellas, they need to go, too.

Originally Posted by the PGA tour

Noo its not real... The physical aspect is tough, and I respect that but its pretty much just a soap opera for men.

wait what, what u mean its not real......the punch each other in the face and they bleed4w - theres supposed to be more releases coming in both wwe & tna

I'm not talking @+@+ kids. I promise. But is part of the interest in the current wrestling product predicated on how closely they put on a show that you agree with? This is a fair question. I'm sure that a lot of that comes with the common knowledge of backstage on-goings and message board day dreaming, but I often wonder what the reviews would have been back in the day. Like would the championship tournament of Wrestlemania IV or the requisite Tito Santana loss have been scrutinized so much? It really does seem like everyone's interest in wrestling is more of a General Manager For The Day kind of interest. It isn't out of love for the product as much as it is 'I'd love this product.' Does it suck so bad anymore that the main point of interest is how not to make it suck?

I'm going to miss you on WWE TV, Thickie James.

Damn, they really botched how they handled Shelton. All that buildup and hype after beating The Omega One twice wasted. I hope he gets used properly should he go to TNA. Sadly, they're botching Kofi, MVP, and R-Truth's careers in the same way.

Spoiler [+]
- As previously noted, Michelle McCool will defend the WWE Women’s Title against Beth Phoenix at this Sunday’s Extreme Rules pay-per-view. That match will now be an “Extreme Makeover

Honestly with the crap that the woman's division has turned into, if I were Mickie I'd be happy to be gone from the WWE (minus the paychecks).

Originally Posted by GotHolesInMySocks

Spoiler [+]
- As previously noted, Michelle McCool will defend the WWE Women’s Title against Beth Phoenix at this Sunday’s Extreme Rules pay-per-view. That match will now be an “Extreme Makeover

Here’s what Matt had to say on Twitter (and bear in mind, he’s worked the ‘net before):

“After 13 title reigns during my WWE career, I’ve more than exceeded what anyone ever expected from me-& I’m optimistic there’s more to come.

This is a VERY good post, and I agree with everything with the exception of the names I crossed, cause out of that list I only think those 5 have main event potential.

But on the Shelton Benjamin theory, I agree, yeah he seemed content on his being a mid-carder, but for a guy who has been loyal to the company for so long and STILL made a name for himself based on all of his "flaws:" complacency, lack of mic-skills, etc, he deserved much much more.

He debuted in a nice stable with Team Angle which helped to strengthen an already over Kurt Angle. When that ended he and Charlie Hass went on to be "The World's Greatest Tag Team" which I always thought was an underrated team. Those two were very very good, a nice gimmick of two elite athletes who didn't really say much but got over because of how well they could perform. When they broke up everybody thought Charlie Hass would be the Shawn Michales to Shelton's Jannety, because Hass had more "overal potential," Shelton was drafted to Raw and on his very first match, the UNTHINKABLE happened, he got himself a clean (well, as clean as it can get when the Omega one is involved) victory over Triple H and he was instantly over. Well, this is where the mistreating of him began, delayed push after delayed push, left creative with ways to "help" him establish himself, which brings us to Shelton's Momma.   Child please.   That was nothing more than a glorified "minstral show segment for Raw," but it kept him on TV and people still were in tuned to Shelton Benjamin (keep in mind that while all this was going on he was having tremendous matches w/ the likes of Shawn Michaels, Chris Benoit, Rob Van Dam, MITB participants, etc.).

The Gold Standard, on the other hand, well at first, I thought they were rolling him out with the Sisqo look just to make fun of this dude yet again, but, the Gold Standard actually worked, his mic-skills I thought improved and he was actually a pretty big force in the new ECW, which lead him to be a big draft pick for SmackDown! where he became the U.S. Champ. It was at Wrestlemania 25 where I gave up hope for the dude, his Gold Standard gimmick was over, and a few weeks before MITB he dropped the U.S. Title which in WWE world is actually a GOOD sign heading into a big match (see John Cena around Wrestlemania 21). Well, he lost, and was pushed right back down to mid-card.

So, to sum up, yeah he may have been lazy back stage, but hell, you can't deny that he brought it in every single match that he was in. For somebody to perform like he did and be with a company for so long, why not give him at least a "transitional reign" just to see if the kid can do it, maybe his attitude would've changed. There was nothing to lose and everything to gain. *Sigh* Keep it trill Shelton, you still had a pretty damn good WWE career.

Back
Top Bottom