401K? Investments? Retirement? What?! FINANCIAL ADVISORS, chime in!

gold and silver will help fight the upcoming economic disaster. if you believe tht the stock market will be popping in 5 yr go ahead and put all your cash into it. BUT if you have any doubts whatsoever put away 30 percent of your savings in PMs (Au and Ag). just peep the 10 yr chart for both and you'll thank me in 10 yrs

gold and silver will help fight the upcoming economic disaster. if you believe tht the stock market will be popping in 5 yr go ahead and put all your cash into it. BUT if you have any doubts whatsoever put away 30 percent of your savings in PMs (Au and Ag). just peep the 10 yr chart for both and you'll thank me in 10 yrs

I contribute 6% to my 401(k), which is matched up to that 6%. I had a Roth IRA going with E-trade, but it was a mistake. I have quite a bit of CC debt, and having money sitting in a Roth did me no good. Somone already mentioned it, but it's important. Pay off your debt first.

I still contribute to my 401(k), but I had to take the L on my Roth and cash in to help with my debt.
30t6p3b.gif

I contribute 6% to my 401(k), which is matched up to that 6%. I had a Roth IRA going with E-trade, but it was a mistake. I have quite a bit of CC debt, and having money sitting in a Roth did me no good. Somone already mentioned it, but it's important. Pay off your debt first.

I still contribute to my 401(k), but I had to take the L on my Roth and cash in to help with my debt.
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by devildog1776

That just meant it's likely in a bubble.  Nothing will go up, or stay high forever.  Just look at housing, technology, and especially commodities.  The next bubble to pop will be government pensions and school loans.

That just meant it's likely in a bubble.  Nothing will go up, or stay high forever.  Just look at housing, technology, and especially commodities.  The next bubble to pop will be government pensions and school loans.

Originally Posted by crcballer55

THANK YOU, BASED GOD.

Originally Posted by reigndrop

Originally Posted by eNPHAN

unrelated question: who is to say that the housing market will ever go back up?

what if it has been inflated since the 60s?

and the bottom barrel prices now are closer to the actual price?
our monetary policy has dictated that they will inflate housing prices to make it go up

this is my point, tho...

its artificially inflated....

hence the FUNDAMENTAL reason why we had the financial meltdown in the first place, correct?

THANK YOU, BASED GOD.

our monetary policy has dictated that they will inflate housing prices to make it go up

this is my point, tho...

hence the FUNDAMENTAL reason why we had the financial meltdown in the first place, correct?

this is my point, tho...

- fundamental reason?? eh........i'd say no.

- dont get me wrong, i get it. i just think that even with those inflated prices we still had the power to change those prices over a period of time being home buyers.

- the meltdown/collapse was caused moreso by that worthless paper (mortgages set up to fail) than anything else. there's a big difference between paying on an inflated mortgage within your income that you can afford, and locking into a mortgage that bubbles after a year or two into 3-4 times what you thought you were going to be paying.....especially when a mortgage is typically how much percent of your take home pay?

this is my point, tho...

- fundamental reason?? eh........i'd say no.

- dont get me wrong, i get it. i just think that even with those inflated prices we still had the power to change those prices over a period of time being home buyers.

- the meltdown/collapse was caused moreso by that worthless paper (mortgages set up to fail) than anything else. there's a big difference between paying on an inflated mortgage within your income that you can afford, and locking into a mortgage that bubbles after a year or two into 3-4 times what you thought you were going to be paying.....especially when a mortgage is typically how much percent of your take home pay?

THANK YOU, BASED GOD.

this is my point, tho...

Let me correct my statement about "school loans".  Specifically, I was referring to the subsidizing of school loans by the government.  Hence, traditional upper education is the bubble and will force us to pursue more career based education (trade schools).  School loan debt overtook credit cards as the biggest debt that many Americans had last year.  That can't go on forever in a healthy economy.

I agree completely about housing.  It was artificially inflated due to low rates.  That's how we got the 30 year mortgage too.  During the Great Depression, the government wanted a way to decrease payments and increase the flow of capital into the market.  Thus they creased Fannie Mae and extended loan timelines from 20 to 30 years.  The problem now though, is that people are used to "cheap" money.  If that goes away, then investors will get uneasy and will only sink real estate prices further.

THANK YOU, BASED GOD.

this is my point, tho...

Let me correct my statement about "school loans".  Specifically, I was referring to the subsidizing of school loans by the government.  Hence, traditional upper education is the bubble and will force us to pursue more career based education (trade schools).  School loan debt overtook credit cards as the biggest debt that many Americans had last year.  That can't go on forever in a healthy economy.

I agree completely about housing.  It was artificially inflated due to low rates.  That's how we got the 30 year mortgage too.  During the Great Depression, the government wanted a way to decrease payments and increase the flow of capital into the market.  Thus they creased Fannie Mae and extended loan timelines from 20 to 30 years.  The problem now though, is that people are used to "cheap" money.  If that goes away, then investors will get uneasy and will only sink real estate prices further.

To the OP:

Pay down your debts first. That's a guaranteed return that you can't get investing in the stock market. Especially any high consumer debt. If your only debts are deductible kinds like a mortgage or student loans with a low interest rate, than go ahead and invest up to the employer match in your 403(b).

Once you hit the match, any additional money should be invested in a Roth IRA (up to $5,000) with Vanguard as well. Hurry and get in your $5,000 for your 2010 IRA (considering you had wages in 2010). The reason for doing this is because usually IRA's have much lower costs than 403(b) or 401(k) becuase you skip out on all the fees for developing the plan that your employer may pass on to the employees.

As for what you should be invested in. I take it you are young so I would just stick with the Target Retirement Fund of 2050. It's about 60% Total US Market, 30% Total International Market, and 10% Bonds.

To the OP:

Pay down your debts first. That's a guaranteed return that you can't get investing in the stock market. Especially any high consumer debt. If your only debts are deductible kinds like a mortgage or student loans with a low interest rate, than go ahead and invest up to the employer match in your 403(b).

Once you hit the match, any additional money should be invested in a Roth IRA (up to $5,000) with Vanguard as well. Hurry and get in your $5,000 for your 2010 IRA (considering you had wages in 2010). The reason for doing this is because usually IRA's have much lower costs than 403(b) or 401(k) becuase you skip out on all the fees for developing the plan that your employer may pass on to the employees.

As for what you should be invested in. I take it you are young so I would just stick with the Target Retirement Fund of 2050. It's about 60% Total US Market, 30% Total International Market, and 10% Bonds.

I just got a job makin $25k/yr. It's not much but more than what I was makin. I figured if I could pay off my quick debt (cc's totally approx. $2000) then I could take that money and start puttin it away for some sort of investment plan. I think I'm going to start conservative until the market starts performing better then switch to put away for my daughter's education. I just hope I'm thinkin about it the right way

I just got a job makin $25k/yr. It's not much but more than what I was makin. I figured if I could pay off my quick debt (cc's totally approx. $2000) then I could take that money and start puttin it away for some sort of investment plan. I think I'm going to start conservative until the market starts performing better then switch to put away for my daughter's education. I just hope I'm thinkin about it the right way

Back
Top Bottom