$4600 Bday dinner, split it or pay for yourself?

Me and my close circle would always split things evenly growing up, and when we started making money one of us would pick up the tab, take mental note and someone else pays next. Aint no big deal.

Deeper, darker convo is why do some of ya'll expect the celebrant to pay for everyones meal when ya'll out to eat? Ya'll really don't like to hangout or celebrate with your friends unless they pay your way?

I understand thinking this for a child's birthday when their parent rented out a skating rink or something, but the other adults still have the decency to bring a gift.

Even when I have folks over for a game or cookout with food/drinks provided, my peoples still come through with bottles, snacks and even ask if I need them to stop by the store for ice or anything.

if EYE invite you personally for dinner, im paying for your dinner...you paying for your drinks ***

those close to me know i dont drink

Don’t invite folks to a birthday dinner unless you know you can cover the bill.
Don’t invite folks places and you can’t pay for yourself.

As easy as it is to send money with Zelle/cashapp, this shouldn’t happen anymore. A $4600 tab is crazy

Don’t invite folks to a birthday dinner unless you know you can cover the bill.
Don’t invite folks places and you can’t pay for yourself.

As easy as it is to send money with Zelle/cashapp, this shouldn’t happen anymore. A $4600 tab is crazy

My next birthday will be at a Strip club and I don't plan on paying a penny for anybody else.

Might have to pass the collection plate to cover The chicken wings

The lack of maturity in the modern world scares me. This is what happens when everything is organized exclusively over text messages.

I got invited to my friend's 21st birthday by her college friends. Went to a nicer restaurant. (Have to remember 20+ years ago Red Lobster and Olive Garden were considered nice for a college student) Time comes to pay the check and the birthday girl's portion is around $50. Her friends just stared at me when the waitress asked us how we wanted things divided up. I can see now why I was probably invited.

You pay for your meal at your birthday dinner that your friends organized? If your friends can't cover your meal on your birthday they are just a waste of skin. In fact, I expect gifts from everyone on top of the comped meal. I ain't no pauper.
right lol. if you pay on your bday, u ain't special to them

Had an ex and we went to dinner she invited all kinds of family and friends. At the end everyone paid their own bill, but I guess she thought maybe someone would be like I got you. Bruh not a single soul said anything :lol: of course I ended up paying tho, but I was fairly surprised no one was like I got you 😂
Was it an occasion for her? A graduation? Birthday? Promotion?

Sounds like she just organized a family event. Not sure why that means you don't gotta pay for your own food.

Rage bait.

I expect to pay for myself just as I expect others to pay their way.

Different cultural experience for my was living in Thailand. Out there when you invite somebody out, you are more or less saying I got you in doing so.

Last edited:
Restaurants should have been able to avoid situations like this after COVID with lessons learned from contactless ordering but nope. Still going to let folks deal with splitting drama :lol: :smh:

And I would have to see the full group but I counted at least 8 people. Even with drinks, getting to $4600 for a group of ~10 is going to be hard unless you are at a 2 or 3 Michelin-Star restaurant with a tasting menu and half the folks got the drink/wine pairing.

Looks staged or fake but anytime I go out with my couple friends we split the tab evenly. Yea someone might order more but it is what it is unless people request separate tabs, I have no issue with that either

But huge party like that? Should def be separate tabs.

Back
Top Bottom