48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by CertifiedSW

Originally Posted by willsndvl

Originally Posted by ncmalko1

Durty pancakes there is a difference between 2 * (9 + 3) and 2(9 + 3). If the question was 48/2 * (9 + 3) the answer would be 288. But being the 2 is attached to the brackets you have to do the entire bracket formula of 2(9 + 3). The 2 being attached means you must include that in the equation. If it was 2 * (9 + 3) then you don't HAVE to multiply it by 9+3.
THIS.
i didn't wanna say it until someone mentioned it. x/2(9+3) is NOT the same as x/2*(9+3). The division sign makes a hell of a difference in this case.
You've got to be @#$#$# kidding me. 
Dropout out of whatever school you're in. 

you go to washington, though.
and Wr up there^ has the right idea. props to me not being the only one who knows how to do simple algebra.

Originally Posted by ncmalko1

Durty pancakes there is a difference between 2 * (9 + 3) and 2(9 + 3). If the question was 48/2 * (9 + 3) the answer would be 288. But being the 2 is attached to the brackets you have to do the entire bracket formula of 2(9 + 3). The 2 being attached means you must include that in the equation. If it was 2 * (9 + 3) then you don't HAVE to multiply it by 9+3.
THIS.
i didn't wanna say it until someone mentioned it. x/2(9+3) is NOT the same as x/2*(9+3). The division sign makes a hell of a difference in this case.

and Wr up there^ has the right idea. props to me not being the only one who knows how to do simple algebra.

How come everyone is arguing?
I thought PEMDAS was pretty much the standard no?

you ALWAYS do parenthesis (inner) and parenthesis (outer) first and then expon. then mul/div then addition

48/2(9+3) = 48/2 * (9+3)
THEY'RE THE EXACT SAME THING. I'm going to have to explain this thing one more time.

Okay, let's go step-by-step.

Add what is in the parentheses first. 9+3 = 12

Now we are left with 48/2(12)

The people getting an answer of 2 believe that somehow the 2 is magically connected to the 12 and thus results in parentheses of the PEMDAS.

However, it IS NOT. By parentheses in the PEMDAS it means that if there is something INSIDE the parentheses you work it out first (i.e. 2(5+5))

Since there is NOTHING left to do in the parentheses, do you all now realize that 2(12) = 2 * 12 ????

Now we follow PEMDAS. And for the millionth time, since division and multiplication are of the same rank we go from left to right.

SO, you would first divide 48 by 2 and you get 24

Now you are left with 24(12) which gives you the grand total of 288. 

48/2(9+3) = 48/2 * (9+3)
THEY'RE THE EXACT SAME THING. I'm going to have to explain this thing one more time.

Okay, let's go step-by-step.

Add what is in the parentheses first. 9+3 = 12

Now we are left with 48/2(12)

The people getting an answer of 2 believe that somehow the 2 is magically connected to the 12 and thus results in parentheses of the PEMDAS.

However, it IS NOT. By parentheses in the PEMDAS it means that if there is something INSIDE the parentheses you work it out first (i.e. 2(5+5))

Since there is NOTHING left to do in the parentheses, do you all now realize that 2(12) = 2 * 12 ????

Now we follow PEMDAS. And for the millionth time, since division and multiplication are of the same rank we go from left to right.

SO, you would first divide 48 by 2 and you get 24

Now you are left with 24(12) which gives you the grand total of 288. 

How come everyone is arguing?
I thought PEMDAS was pretty much the standard no?

you ALWAYS do parenthesis (inner) and parenthesis (outer) first and then expon. then mul/div then addition

I'm surprised I haven't seen Team 2 and Team 288 sigs. yet.
30t6p3b.gif

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Wr

Originally Posted by Mo Greene

Team 2

solve this:

36 ÷ 4(5 - 2) + 6 =
exactly, So what's the difference between that and the OG problem
you evoke the distributive property when there is an addend in the parentheses, otherwise you're just multiplying and doing so in

this case would be skipping a step in the Order of Op.

Originally Posted by Wr

Originally Posted by Mo Greene

Team 2

solve this:

36 ÷ 4(5 - 2) + 6 =
exactly, So what's the difference between that and the OG problem
you evoke the distributive property when there is an addend in the parentheses, otherwise you're just multiplying and doing so in

this case would be skipping a step in the Order of Op.

not to be rude, cause you obviously think you are legitimately correct and maybe you're just not thinking straight or maybe you were just taught wrong, but you are a complete moron, CertifiedSW.

not to be rude, cause you obviously think you are legitimately correct and maybe you're just not thinking straight or maybe you were just taught wrong, but you are a complete moron, CertifiedSW.

Certified... drip out of school? I have 2 masters and the people who told me this were a hs calculus teacher, an engineer and a math professor at ASU.

I don't understand what you don't get. 2 *(9+3). And 2(9+3) are the same thing unless they have additional steps in a math problem. The first one is different when 28/ is before it. You MUST facot the complete bracket formula. The complete bracket formula in one is (9+3) in the other the complete equation is 2(9+3)

That's why the answer is 2. If it was written as 48/ 2 * (9 + 3) then the answer is 288.

Certified... drip out of school? I have 2 masters and the people who told me this were a hs calculus teacher, an engineer and a math professor at ASU.

I don't understand what you don't get. 2 *(9+3). And 2(9+3) are the same thing unless they have additional steps in a math problem. The first one is different when 28/ is before it. You MUST facot the complete bracket formula. The complete bracket formula in one is (9+3) in the other the complete equation is 2(9+3)

That's why the answer is 2. If it was written as 48/ 2 * (9 + 3) then the answer is 288.

Originally Posted by 36hypno

the answer is 288 how is this still open

48 / 2 *(9+3)

Simple order of operations left to right with * and / having the same order of precedence. 48 / 2 will always be the first operation.
that's not how the problem is written tho...
the answer is 2...
laugh.gif
 at everyone that's saying 288

Originally Posted by 36hypno

the answer is 288 how is this still open

48 / 2 *(9+3)

Simple order of operations left to right with * and / having the same order of precedence. 48 / 2 will always be the first operation.
that's not how the problem is written tho...
the answer is 2...
laugh.gif
 at everyone that's saying 288

THIS.

Lol and? What college do you go to?

Cause if you're attending a top-tier one you better be able to get the correct answer on this simple !@# problem. If you fail to realize that 48/2(9+3) and 48/2 * (9+3) are the same thing then, like I said earlier, you should consider dropping out. 

Edit: Okay, I'm the moron and you guys are getting the answer of 2 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

How ironic. 

Back
Top Bottom