48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by CertifiedSW

I am still in awe that dude called me a moron yet he is dead set on the fact that the answer is 2 
laugh.gif

Wow. All the calculators in the world agree that it's 288, Google agrees that it's 288, Wolfram Alpha agrees that it's 288.

What more proof do you want?

roll.gif
you are a moron. wow. all the calculators in the world? google? do you even know how to do any math using your own head? these computers are giving you the wrong answer for this question.

I am still in awe that dude called me a moron yet he is dead set on the fact that the answer is 2 
laugh.gif

Wow. All the calculators in the world agree that it's 288, Google agrees that it's 288, Wolfram Alpha agrees that it's 288.

roll.gif
you are a moron. wow. all the calculators in the world? google? do you even know how to do any math using your own head? these computers are giving you the wrong answer for this question.

Originally Posted by Rocky437

laugh.gif

do you even know how to do any math using your own head? 

Apparently not.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Apparently not.
laugh.gif

Certified.... several posts have been left by math students with advanced degrees explaining why those calulators are wrong. As a matter of fact if you for thru the posts everyone with advanced math degrees are all saying its 2. Like I said... I asked an engineer, a hs calculus teacher and a math prof at asu and they all said 2

Certified.... several posts have been left by math students with advanced degrees explaining why those calulators are wrong. As a matter of fact if you for thru the posts everyone with advanced math degrees are all saying its 2. Like I said... I asked an engineer, a hs calculus teacher and a math prof at asu and they all said 2

Originally Posted by ncmalko1

Certified... drip out of school? I have 2 masters and the people who told me this were a hs calculus teacher, an engineer and a math professor at ASU.
faucet-drip-lg.jpg
out of school

Originally Posted by ncmalko1

Certified... drip out of school? I have 2 masters and the people who told me this were a hs calculus teacher, an engineer and a math professor at ASU.
faucet-drip-lg.jpg
out of school

Originally Posted by Mo Greene

Originally Posted by Wr

Team 2

solve this:

36 ÷ 4(5 - 2) + 6 =

explain how you got to this answer.
then explain how you got 2 for the original problem.
I got 9. I just solved it the 288 way because I've been thinking about it too hard because of this thread lol. 
But the real issue is this:

Is Team 2 correct because they view 2(9+3) as one term that get's simplified to 24 before used as dividend to 48?

Or is Team 288 correct because they begin off dividing 48 by 2 then doing distributive multiplication into (9+3) following order of operations left to right? 

From my understanding, you simplify the expressions before you solve them following order of operations. 

Originally Posted by Wr

Team 2

solve this:

36 ÷ 4(5 - 2) + 6 =

explain how you got to this answer.
then explain how you got 2 for the original problem.
I got 9. I just solved it the 288 way because I've been thinking about it too hard because of this thread lol. 
But the real issue is this:

Is Team 2 correct because they view 2(9+3) as one term that get's simplified to 24 before used as dividend to 48?

Or is Team 288 correct because they begin off dividing 48 by 2 then doing distributive multiplication into (9+3) following order of operations left to right? 

From my understanding, you simplify the expressions before you solve them following order of operations. 

Originally Posted by kingcrux31

laugh.gif

Apparently not.
laugh.gif

http://www.purplemath.com/modules/orderops.htm

If you are asked to simplify something like "4 + 2×3", the question that naturally arises is "Which way do I do this? Because there are two options!":

• Choice 1:  4 + 2×3 = (4 + 2)×3 = 6×3 = 18

Choice 2:  4 + 2×3 = 4 + (2×3) = 4 + 6 = 10
It seems as though the answer depends on which way you look at the problem. But we can't have this kind of flexibility in mathematics; math won't work if you can't be sure of the answer, or if the exact same problem can calculate to two or more different answers. To eliminate this confusion, we have some rules of precedence, established at least as far back as the 1500s, called the "order of operations". The "operations" are addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, exponentiation, and grouping; the "order" of these operations states which operations take precedence (are taken care of) before which other operations.
A common technique for remembering the order of operations is the abbreviation "PEMDAS", which is turned into the phrase "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally". It stands for "Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, and Addition and Subtraction". This tells you the ranks of the operations: Parentheses outrank exponents, which outrank multiplication and division (but multiplication and division are at the same rank), and these two outrank addition and subtraction (which are together on the bottom rank). When you have a bunch of operations of the same rank, you just operate from left to right. For instance, 15 Ã· 3 Ã— 4 is not 15 ÷ 12, but is rather 5 × 4, because, going from left to right, you get to the division first. If you're not sure of this, test it in your calculator, which has been programmed with the Order of Operations hierarchy.
http://www.math.com/school/subject2/lessons/S2U1L2GL.html

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]When expressions have more than one operation, we have to follow rules for the order of operations:[/size][/font]
  1. [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]First do all operations that lie inside parentheses.[/size][/font]
  2. [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Next, do any work with exponents or radicals.[/size][/font]
  3. [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Working from left to right, do all multiplication and division.[/font]
  4. [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Finally, working from left to right, do all addition and subtraction[/size][/font]

http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.order.operations.html

PEMDAS
  (You might remember this as "Please excuse my dear Aunt Sally.")[sup]1[/sup]
  1. Parentheses
  2. Exponents
  3. Multiplication and Division
  4. Addition and Subtraction
This means that you should do what is possible within parentheses first, then exponents, then multiplication and division (from left to right), and then addition and subtraction (from left to right). If parentheses are enclosed within other parentheses, work from the inside out.
[sup]1[/sup]Some people are taught to remember BEDMAS:
        Brackets
        Exponents
        Division and Multiplication, left to right
        Addition and Subtraction, left to right

Besides the obvious sources Google and Wolfram.. THUS 288.

laugh.gif

Apparently not.
laugh.gif

If you are asked to simplify something like "4 + 2×3", the question that naturally arises is "Which way do I do this? Because there are two options!":

It seems as though the answer depends on which way you look at the problem. But we can't have this kind of flexibility in mathematics; math won't work if you can't be sure of the answer, or if the exact same problem can calculate to two or more different answers. To eliminate this confusion, we have some rules of precedence, established at least as far back as the 1500s, called the "order of operations". The "operations" are addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, exponentiation, and grouping; the "order" of these operations states which operations take precedence (are taken care of) before which other operations.
A common technique for remembering the order of operations is the abbreviation "PEMDAS", which is turned into the phrase "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally". It stands for "Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, and Addition and Subtraction". This tells you the ranks of the operations: Parentheses outrank exponents, which outrank multiplication and division (but multiplication and division are at the same rank), and these two outrank addition and subtraction (which are together on the bottom rank). When you have a bunch of operations of the same rank, you just operate from left to right. For instance, 15 Ã· 3 Ã— 4 is not 15 ÷ 12, but is rather 5 × 4, because, going from left to right, you get to the division first. If you're not sure of this, test it in your calculator, which has been programmed with the Order of Operations hierarchy.

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]When expressions have more than one operation, we have to follow rules for the order of operations:[/size][/font]
  1. [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]First do all operations that lie inside parentheses.[/size][/font]
  2. [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Next, do any work with exponents or radicals.[/size][/font]
  3. [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Working from left to right, do all multiplication and division.[/font]
  4. [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Finally, working from left to right, do all addition and subtraction[/size][/font]

PEMDAS
  1. Parentheses
  2. Exponents
This means that you should do what is possible within parentheses first, then exponents, then multiplication and division (from left to right), and then addition and subtraction (from left to right). If parentheses are enclosed within other parentheses, work from the inside out.
        Brackets
        Exponents

Originally Posted by Klipschorn

for most that are still in team 2, PEMDAS is not the issue - i think we've established that and can ignore the idiots who ignore the either/or rule.  rather it's whether or not 2(9+3) is a single unit, or if it's 2 units.
team 288 views it as:

[h3]48÷2*(9+3) = 288[/h3]

while team 2 views it as:

[h3]48÷[2(9+3)] =2[/h3]

according to the problem #7 of Order of Operations Pretest, it's the former (288)

Apparently not.
laugh.gif

PEMDAS
  1. Parentheses
  2. Exponents
        Brackets
        Exponents

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Finally someone with some common sense. Good post. 

for most that are still in team 2, PEMDAS is not the issue - i think we've established that and can ignore the idiots who ignore the either/or rule.  rather it's whether or not 2(9+3) is a single unit, or if it's 2 units.
team 288 views it as:

[h3]48÷2*(9+3) = 288[/h3]

while team 2 views it as:

[h3]48÷[2(9+3)] =2[/h3]

according to the problem #7 of Order of Operations Pretest, it's the former (288)

Apparently not.
laugh.gif

PEMDAS
  1. Parentheses
  2. Exponents
        Brackets
        Exponents

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Finally someone with some common sense. Good post. 

wow, klipschorn. citing all of those sources for NOTHING. and that's sir isaac newton in your avy? wow.
30t6p3b.gif

but can someone explain how they got 33 on that one problem? it's confusing the hell outta me. i tried doing it right, doing it wrong, and doing it ala CertifiedSW, and i don't get an answer near 33.
ohwell.gif

Back
Top Bottom