48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by BC2310

Originally Posted by ServeChilled81

What you posted says it becomes (2)(12) clear as day. 
laugh.gif
 You're on team2 and you don't even know it 
roll.gif
it becomes (2)(12), or 2(12), or 2x12, and since there are no addends in the parentheses, you do not distribute it's just multiplication, that's all the parentheses is now
repeat the order of op from the top. 

downloadsj.png
The 2nd part of what you posted says "Then perform the functions outside the parentheses on that quanity"
is this not the first function outside the parentheses  48÷2? from l to r
it seems like your saying that 2(12) suggest something other than multiplying in the second step

Originally Posted by ServeChilled81

What you posted says it becomes (2)(12) clear as day. 
laugh.gif
 You're on team2 and you don't even know it 
roll.gif
it becomes (2)(12), or 2(12), or 2x12, and since there are no addends in the parentheses, you do not distribute it's just multiplication, that's all the parentheses is now
repeat the order of op from the top. 

downloadsj.png
The 2nd part of what you posted says "Then perform the functions outside the parentheses on that quanity"
is this not the first function outside the parentheses  48÷2? from l to r
it seems like your saying that 2(12) suggest something other than multiplying in the second step

My professor said it is 288 as division happens at the same time as multiplication according to pemdas itself so the answer is 288. I was team 2 but 288 is the answer.

My professor said it is 288 as division happens at the same time as multiplication according to pemdas itself so the answer is 288. I was team 2 but 288 is the answer.

Originally Posted by NLoc

You got to Hood College?

Originally Posted by NLoc

You got to Hood College?

Serve chilled- again what you posted says 'on that quanity' which I take as the quanity that was in the parentheses. I don't know how else to explain it.

Serve chilled- again what you posted says 'on that quanity' which I take as the quanity that was in the parentheses. I don't know how else to explain it.

Originally Posted by frostythepoptart

served you need to re-read what you posted and just join team 2.
I understand what I posted. 
I would like to know why you think, "operations outside the parenthesis" don't begin at the start of the problem from l to r?

Originally Posted by frostythepoptart

served you need to re-read what you posted and just join team 2.
I understand what I posted. 
I would like to know why you think, "operations outside the parenthesis" don't begin at the start of the problem from l to r?

What makes you think they didn't distribute what was outside the parenthesis first then added? The example after the highlighted sentence doesn't show a coefficient at all. We can assume that coefficient had already been distributed.

Moreover, why do you dudes readily accept the addtion operation inside the parenthesis, but are hesitant to accept the multiplication outside of it?

What makes you think they didn't distribute what was outside the parenthesis first then added? The example after the highlighted sentence doesn't show a coefficient at all. We can assume that coefficient had already been distributed.

Moreover, why do you dudes readily accept the addtion operation inside the parenthesis, but are hesitant to accept the multiplication outside of it?

Back
Top Bottom