48÷2(9+3) = ???

My expression
eek.gif
when I saw the amount of pages.

The answer is 288. All you naysayers have to just give it up.
laugh.gif

Are people showing this to others with the ÷ sign? That's beyond confusing and the root problem of all of this

My expression
eek.gif
when I saw the amount of pages.

The answer is 288. All you naysayers have to just give it up.
laugh.gif

Are people showing this to others with the ÷ sign? That's beyond confusing and the root problem of all of this

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

This. the sign is key.

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

This. the sign is key.

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

I asked (insert someone with a math credential) and they said 2.

I can do it too.
eek.gif

one of your boys who claimed to have had extensive experience in calculus said PEMDAS goes in order.
another claimed it was 2 because his GF who's a teacher that taught at-risk kids said so

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

I asked (insert someone with a math credential) and they said 2.

I can do it too.
eek.gif

one of your boys who claimed to have had extensive experience in calculus said PEMDAS goes in order.
another claimed it was 2 because his GF who's a teacher that taught at-risk kids said so

I'll add my 2 cents after going thru, yes, all 118 pages of this thread

All the arguments have been read and personally analyzed

And those of team 288 have made the strongest points, with the most understandable explanations including credential sources

Not to say that team 2's effort is not valant in their own comprehension, however, you guys are incorrect.

Plus, no pun, there are more and more people converting to team 288 after the debate have prolonged for several days

I too, have originally arrived at 288 as the answer. Of course I had doubts, but I consulted some of the most trustworthy people I know for this task, and those are my childhood friends whom I still keep in touch with overseas in Vietnam.

These guys are math wiz. We all know Asians overseas are superior when it comes to Math. These dudes studied calculus in 8th grade while I was still doing algebra.

They concurred with the answer 288, and laughed at me for even making such a big deal over a simple problem.

For those that  got 2 as the answer, I wont break it down as to why this is incorrect, because it has been stated NUMEROUS times in this thread by many 288 NTers. And I think they did an extremely thorough job at doing it. So I salute you guys.

The only way for the solution to be 2, is if these brackets were to be added [ ]

48 : [ 2 ( 9 + 3 ) ] = 2
48 : 2 ( 9 + 3 ) = 288

That is all.

I'll add my 2 cents after going thru, yes, all 118 pages of this thread

All the arguments have been read and personally analyzed

And those of team 288 have made the strongest points, with the most understandable explanations including credential sources

Not to say that team 2's effort is not valant in their own comprehension, however, you guys are incorrect.

Plus, no pun, there are more and more people converting to team 288 after the debate have prolonged for several days

I too, have originally arrived at 288 as the answer. Of course I had doubts, but I consulted some of the most trustworthy people I know for this task, and those are my childhood friends whom I still keep in touch with overseas in Vietnam.

These guys are math wiz. We all know Asians overseas are superior when it comes to Math. These dudes studied calculus in 8th grade while I was still doing algebra.

They concurred with the answer 288, and laughed at me for even making such a big deal over a simple problem.

For those that  got 2 as the answer, I wont break it down as to why this is incorrect, because it has been stated NUMEROUS times in this thread by many 288 NTers. And I think they did an extremely thorough job at doing it. So I salute you guys.

The only way for the solution to be 2, is if these brackets were to be added [ ]

48 : [ 2 ( 9 + 3 ) ] = 2
48 : 2 ( 9 + 3 ) = 288

That is all.

Parentheses first.
48/2(9+3).
48/2(12).
Then divide. If the equation has both a division and multiplication sign, such as this one, then you do whatever occurs first, first. In this problem, division occurs first, so you divide. If it was instead a multiplication sign first, then you would multiply before dividing.
You get:
24(12)
Then multiply it.
Final Answer:

This is such an easy equation, but I can understand why and how someone would mess it up. It's just funny how the people who have the wrong answers cannot face the fact that they're wrong, and yet, call others stupid and dumb. They are too ignorant to realize their mistakes.

Sorry for the big font, but after 117 pages of nonsense and arguments, I just wanted to get the point across and show people how do this equation correctly in an easy/understandable format.
ohwell.gif

Parentheses first.
48/2(9+3).
48/2(12).
Then divide. If the equation has both a division and multiplication sign, such as this one, then you do whatever occurs first, first. In this problem, division occurs first, so you divide. If it was instead a multiplication sign first, then you would multiply before dividing.
You get:
24(12)
Then multiply it.
Final Answer:

This is such an easy equation, but I can understand why and how someone would mess it up. It's just funny how the people who have the wrong answers cannot face the fact that they're wrong, and yet, call others stupid and dumb. They are too ignorant to realize their mistakes.

Sorry for the big font, but after 117 pages of nonsense and arguments, I just wanted to get the point across and show people how do this equation correctly in an easy/understandable format.
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by VietStar

Parentheses first.
48/2(9+3).
48/2(12).
You get:
24(12)
Then multiply it.
Final Answer:

ohwell.gif

/thread.

Originally Posted by VietStar

Parentheses first.
48/2(9+3).
48/2(12).
You get:
24(12)
Then multiply it.
Final Answer:

ohwell.gif

/thread.

After you add what's in the parenthesis, there is still a parenthesis though.
laugh.gif

You have to get rid of the parenthesis before moving on.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

So, what you gonna do? 48/2x12? That is not the same as 48/2(12).

All you dudes asking your professors, ask them why the parenthesis remains when the whole point of P is to take care of the parenthesis.

Now if you had a problem that read 48/2x(9+3)...it would be easy to get rid of the parenthetical. Just add what's inside. There is no coefficient (greater than 1) attached to it. The problem at hand, there is.

Back
Top Bottom