48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by cbrooks3

Originally Posted by The Yes Guy

Originally Posted by kingcrux31

It's sad how 75 pages later a lot of the math trolls still insist the answer is 288.
laugh.gif

It is though, I don't see why that's so hard to understand.

2(12) does not count as the P in PEMDAS. It counts as M, and if you do it that way, you get 288. P refers to things inside parentheses.

when solving 2(12) you distribute the 2 to the 12.

distributive property comes into play in the problem as well...

TEAM 2

Originally Posted by TheHealthInspector

Originally Posted by Biggie62

I honestly don't know how to explain it to the people who don't understand how we get 2. I just know that when I see a problem like that I automatically distribute and then go after the order of operations. It's just something that has been instilled in my head after years of math, econ, and finance classes. I can't explain it to you why I do it like that in all honesty.

we know how youre getting 2 and we just happen to disagree, distribution is a product of pemdas... PEMD>AS

48 + 2(9+3) ... distribute
48 - 2(9+3) ... distribute

48 ÷ 2(9+3) ... dont distribute... follow order of operations

STOP giving the 2 special treatment people

Originally Posted by IzzNet

MY GOD.

The answer is NOT 288!!

It's 2.

The presence of parentheses indicates where order of operations should begin, doesnt matter whether the numerical term is inside or outside of them..

If you are a Mathematician or Engineer and you said 288.. may God have mercy on your soul..

just kidding, the answer is still 2 tho..

So why is there no proof of this law on the internet? Like i said before

FOR THE 2 BELIEVERS ONLY!

SOLVE QUESTION 7 ON THIS PAGE
http://amby.com/educate/ord-op/pretest.html

/ether
/thread

Originally Posted by kingcrux31

It's sad how 75 pages later a lot of the math trolls still insist the answer is 288.
laugh.gif

2(12) does not count as the P in PEMDAS. It counts as M, and if you do it that way, you get 288. P refers to things inside parentheses.

TEAM 2

Originally Posted by TheHealthInspector

Originally Posted by Biggie62

I honestly don't know how to explain it to the people who don't understand how we get 2. I just know that when I see a problem like that I automatically distribute and then go after the order of operations. It's just something that has been instilled in my head after years of math, econ, and finance classes. I can't explain it to you why I do it like that in all honesty.

we know how youre getting 2 and we just happen to disagree, distribution is a product of pemdas... PEMD>AS

48 + 2(9+3) ... distribute
48 - 2(9+3) ... distribute

48 ÷ 2(9+3) ... dont distribute... follow order of operations

STOP giving the 2 special treatment people

MY GOD.

The answer is NOT 288!!

It's 2.

The presence of parentheses indicates where order of operations should begin, doesnt matter whether the numerical term is inside or outside of them..

If you are a Mathematician or Engineer and you said 288.. may God have mercy on your soul..

So why is there no proof of this law on the internet? Like i said before

FOR THE 2 BELIEVERS ONLY!

SOLVE QUESTION 7 ON THIS PAGE
http://amby.com/educate/ord-op/pretest.html

/ether
/thread

TEAM 2
That's not distributing, that's just multiplying. Distributing would be if it was 2(12+x), but if it's just one variable, you're just multiplying. Notice how "Distributing" isn't a letter in PEMDAS?

that is what you are taught though. you are taught to distribute that.
and you said 2(12+x)

what if we insert a number there? say 3

2(12+3)

distribute

(2x12)+(2x3)

24+6

TEAM 2
That's not distributing, that's just multiplying. Distributing would be if it was 2(12+x), but if it's just one variable, you're just multiplying. Notice how "Distributing" isn't a letter in PEMDAS?

and you said 2(12+x)

2(12+3)

distribute

(2x12)+(2x3)

24+6

MY GOD.

The answer is NOT 288!!

It's 2.

how does it not matter whether the number is on the inside or on the outside of the parentheses though
laugh.gif

the presence of parentheses means you simplify whatever is inside of it first and continue with the order of operations.

like I said, if the 2 was really part of the parentheses 2(3+1)^2 would equal 64 and not 32.

MY GOD.

The answer is NOT 288!!

It's 2.

how does it not matter whether the number is on the inside or on the outside of the parentheses though
laugh.gif

the presence of parentheses means you simplify whatever is inside of it first and continue with the order of operations.

like I said, if the 2 was really part of the parentheses 2(3+1)^2 would equal 64 and not 32.

TEAM 2

and you said 2(12+x)

2(12+3)

distribute

(2x12)+(2x3)

24+6

No, in that example you would add inside the parenthesis and multiply.

I realize it gets you the same answer, but it's the process that matters.

TEAM 2

and you said 2(12+x)

2(12+3)

distribute

(2x12)+(2x3)

24+6

No, in that example you would add inside the parenthesis and multiply.

I realize it gets you the same answer, but it's the process that matters.

TEAM 2

and you said 2(12+x)

2(12+3)

distribute

(2x12)+(2x3)

24+6

Your example neglects the fact that there is an operator of the same importance according to the order of operations, and must be completed before distributing there. Then what if you say 24÷2(12+3) ? You have to perform the division first. You would be distributing 12(12+3). 12(15). You don't do 24÷30, because there are not parentheses indicating the multiplication is of higher importance than the division. In that case it would be 24÷(2(12+3)) or 24÷[2(12+3)].

TEAM 2

and you said 2(12+x)

2(12+3)

distribute

(2x12)+(2x3)

24+6

Your example neglects the fact that there is an operator of the same importance according to the order of operations, and must be completed before distributing there. Then what if you say 24÷2(12+3) ? You have to perform the division first. You would be distributing 12(12+3). 12(15). You don't do 24÷30, because there are not parentheses indicating the multiplication is of higher importance than the division. In that case it would be 24÷(2(12+3)) or 24÷[2(12+3)].

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

Originally Posted by selrahc123

The problem was written to create this type of argument. As stated before, the problem is very poorly written. And the answer is 2.

Show your steps please so I can change your ways.
Like I said, the problem is poorly written so there is no "changing my ways." If you're using PEMDAS, you're obviously a child... it shouldn't even be taught in schools anymore. But the logic is this48
2(9+3)  = 48/24 = 2. 

Back
Top Bottom