4. My homie is teacher Calculus and has his Masters in Math. He got 2

They ALL said the paranthesis formula most be completely done 2(9+3) is 12

1. I got 2
2. My neighbor teaches math at ASU. He got 2
3. My sister in law is an engineer and she got 2

eek.gif
this has to be some sort of NT record. Ya'll dudes even broke into teams?
laugh.gif

THE ANSWER IS 2.

let me try to explain it another way. if you separate the fraction: 48/2(9+3) [NOTICE: there is NO multiplication sign between the 2 and the open parentheses] then you would get 48/1 * 1/2(9+3).

Work that out, and you get: 48/1 * 1/24. Simplify, and you get: 48/24. Simplify some more, and you get: 2.

THE ANSWER IS 2.

let me try to explain it another way. if you separate the fraction: 48/2(9+3) [NOTICE: there is NO multiplication sign between the 2 and the open parentheses] then you would get 48/1 * 1/2(9+3).

Work that out, and you get: 48/1 * 1/24. Simplify, and you get: 48/24. Simplify some more, and you get: 2.

Standard Order of Operations

If one strictly uses the standard order of operations to solve mathematical expressions, the answer to the problem would be 288, which is also the same solution provided by WolframAlpha and Google.
By convention, the order of precedence in a mathematical expression is as follows:
Terms inside of Brackets or Parentheses.
Exponents and Roots.
Multiplication and Division.
Addition and Subtraction.
If there are two or more operations with equal precedence (such as 10÷2÷5 or 7÷2*9), those operations should be done from left to right.
Therefore, the problem “48÷2(9+3) =â€

If one strictly uses the standard order of operations to solve mathematical expressions, the answer to the problem would be 288, which is also the same solution provided by WolframAlpha and Google.
By convention, the order of precedence in a mathematical expression is as follows:
Exponents and Roots.
If there are two or more operations with equal precedence (such as 10÷2÷5 or 7÷2*9), those operations should be done from left to right.

Originally Posted by ncmalko1

1. I got 2

So PEMDAS goes out of the window altogether then? 
2(12) is the same as 2*12. If you argue this, god have mercy on your soul. 

Division and multiplication carry same the precedence. You compute the one that comes first from left to right. 

Originally Posted by ncmalko1

1. I got 2

So PEMDAS goes out of the window altogether then? 
2(12) is the same as 2*12. If you argue this, god have mercy on your soul. 

Division and multiplication carry same the precedence. You compute the one that comes first from left to right. 

Originally Posted by ThA ShErMaNaToR

As an engineering student that's has done years of calculus, differential equations, and Laplace transforms...

Y'all deserve a smash in the face with a highschool arithmetic book if you aint saying 2

Parenthesis, multiplication, then division. A calculator is simply numerical single step calculation, aka it doesn't do the real math, you do

Stupidest thing I've read so far. So humans and calculators operate on two different sets of mathematical rules and principles? I agree, a calculator can't come up with an equation or expression on its own from, say, a word problem. But if I try adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing on a calculator I expect to get the same thing I would get if I did it by hand. You're saying it'd be OK if a calculator said 2+3 = 30,000,000,000, because calculators can't do math? What's the point of calculators, then?...
indifferent.gif

And referencing your knowledge of more advanced math topics doesn't mean anything. Virtually anyone can go to their community college and study linear algebra, vector calculus, metamathematics, "insert other fancy math topic", etc. without understanding more basic math. I'm sure not knowing that the answer to this question is 288 didn't ever present a problem for you in your studies of engineering. Plus, plenty of other accomplished mathematicians are saying it's 288, so your credentials aren't unique. As a matter of fact, there's more math/engineering/stats majors in this thread saying 288 than there are saying 2.

And by the way, you said "parenthesis, multiplication, division". Well, once you get to 48/2(12), the 12 inside the parenthesis is as simplified as it can be. The expression can be rewritten as 48/2*12, which contains no parenthesis, if that makes it any easier for you. Please show me somewhere/someone that says multiplication comes before division. At this point, I can't but seriously doubt your knowledge of math, as you don't seem to understand that multiplication and division are inverse processes (dividing something by something else is equivalent to multiplying something by the reciprocal of the other number/variable. In other words, XY = X(1/Y)).
I could easily rewrite the problem as 48 / 2 / (1/12). What would you do now? There's no multiplication anymore. Surely, you must agree you would just go left to right. If you disagree, let me know why...it's most likely an amusing explanation.
Saying one comes before the other would be like saying addition comes before subtraction, or vice versa; ultimately, it doesn't matter, since addition and subtraction are commutative (as is multiplication, for that matter), but the principle is still fundamentally flawed.

In case you didn't read anything, simplify this: 48 / 2 / (1/12)...which, in case you didn't notice, is equivalent to the original problem, 48/2(12). I just rewrote the 12.

indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by ThA ShErMaNaToR

As an engineering student that's has done years of calculus, differential equations, and Laplace transforms...

Y'all deserve a smash in the face with a highschool arithmetic book if you aint saying 2

Parenthesis, multiplication, then division. A calculator is simply numerical single step calculation, aka it doesn't do the real math, you do

Stupidest thing I've read so far. So humans and calculators operate on two different sets of mathematical rules and principles? I agree, a calculator can't come up with an equation or expression on its own from, say, a word problem. But if I try adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing on a calculator I expect to get the same thing I would get if I did it by hand. You're saying it'd be OK if a calculator said 2+3 = 30,000,000,000, because calculators can't do math? What's the point of calculators, then?...
indifferent.gif

And referencing your knowledge of more advanced math topics doesn't mean anything. Virtually anyone can go to their community college and study linear algebra, vector calculus, metamathematics, "insert other fancy math topic", etc. without understanding more basic math. I'm sure not knowing that the answer to this question is 288 didn't ever present a problem for you in your studies of engineering. Plus, plenty of other accomplished mathematicians are saying it's 288, so your credentials aren't unique. As a matter of fact, there's more math/engineering/stats majors in this thread saying 288 than there are saying 2.

And by the way, you said "parenthesis, multiplication, division". Well, once you get to 48/2(12), the 12 inside the parenthesis is as simplified as it can be. The expression can be rewritten as 48/2*12, which contains no parenthesis, if that makes it any easier for you. Please show me somewhere/someone that says multiplication comes before division. At this point, I can't but seriously doubt your knowledge of math, as you don't seem to understand that multiplication and division are inverse processes (dividing something by something else is equivalent to multiplying something by the reciprocal of the other number/variable. In other words, XY = X(1/Y)).
I could easily rewrite the problem as 48 / 2 / (1/12). What would you do now? There's no multiplication anymore. Surely, you must agree you would just go left to right. If you disagree, let me know why...it's most likely an amusing explanation.
Saying one comes before the other would be like saying addition comes before subtraction, or vice versa; ultimately, it doesn't matter, since addition and subtraction are commutative (as is multiplication, for that matter), but the principle is still fundamentally flawed.

In case you didn't read anything, simplify this: 48 / 2 / (1/12)...which, in case you didn't notice, is equivalent to the original problem, 48/2(12). I just rewrote the 12.

indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

At first glance I thought 2, but after 5 seconds of thought it's easy to see it's 288. You do the arithmetic inside the parentheses, get 48÷2*12. Left to right for Division/Multiplication, you get 288. The open parentheses is just a sign for multiplication.

If it were 48÷(2(12)), then you would get 2. But it is 48÷2(12). 288 is the answer.

At first glance I thought 2, but after 5 seconds of thought it's easy to see it's 288. You do the arithmetic inside the parentheses, get 48÷2*12. Left to right for Division/Multiplication, you get 288. The open parentheses is just a sign for multiplication.

If it were 48÷(2(12)), then you would get 2. But it is 48÷2(12). 288 is the answer.

Originally Posted by Mo Greene

Exponents and Roots.

Exponents and Roots.

Originally Posted by Wr

Exponents and Roots.

Exponents and Roots.

Originally Posted by Wr

Exponents and Roots.

Exponents and Roots.

Originally Posted by Wr

Exponents and Roots.

Originally Posted by Wr

Exponents and Roots.

Alright, left this topic only to find out it's even worse than before.

To those who posted this link, http://www.purplemath.com/modules/orderops2.htm about the parenthesis making the multiplication stronger it leaves me to this conclusion to which the author already stated: it's inconclusive.

Why?

If you enter that same problem(either the example they give or the one we're talking about) in a calculator, Wolfram Alpha etc. and change the brackets to parenthesis and vice verse, the answer is completely different.

48÷2[9+3] comes up to 2 while 48÷2(9+3) = 288 which makes no sense at all. So we can argue all day but it seems that no one can give a definite answer. There is multiple sites saying you only complete what's in the parenthesis/brackets while the link above has a rule that either not a lot know or consider.

Back
Top Bottom