48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

Originally Posted by JChambers

I asked (insert someone with a math credential) and they said 2.

I can do it too.
eek.gif

I asked Google and Wolfram Alpha and they said 288.
Mine are verifiable.
wink.gif
Asking a machine doesn't work. TI calculators, the creme de la creme of computing, aren't valid when handling such problems. Wolfram Alpha totally changes the equation. And you're using google as a computation engine? Seriously?
My point was that these sources are more valid than "my brother's girlfriend is a high school teacher and she said", etc. The answer is still 288. Nobody in this thread has shown any mathematical rule from a valid source that would allow the 2(12)  to take precedence over the 48÷2. Not once. Changing the equation to suit your purposes does not prove anything.

I asked (insert someone with a math credential) and they said 2.

I can do it too.
eek.gif

Mine are verifiable.
wink.gif
Asking a machine doesn't work. TI calculators, the creme de la creme of computing, aren't valid when handling such problems. Wolfram Alpha totally changes the equation. And you're using google as a computation engine? Seriously?
My point was that these sources are more valid than "my brother's girlfriend is a high school teacher and she said", etc. The answer is still 288. Nobody in this thread has shown any mathematical rule from a valid source that would allow the 2(12)  to take precedence over the 48÷2. Not once. Changing the equation to suit your purposes does not prove anything.

eek.gif

This is STILL going on????
Team 288 was wrong on Sunday when I was trying to explain it to them and they're wrong now.

Team 2 from the start!
pimp.gif

eek.gif

This is STILL going on????
Team 288 was wrong on Sunday when I was trying to explain it to them and they're wrong now.

Team 2 from the start!
pimp.gif

usainboltisfast wrote:
This order isgenerally clear and unambiguous but problems do occur. One problem isa bug in Casio calculators made before 2007. For example, theexpression
impliedgroupings_html_m59b0ce2b.gif
shouldevaluate to 16 according to the order of operations. The divisionshould be done first. It is evaluated incorrectly to 1 by earlierCasio calculators. If you instead enter
impliedgroupings_html_m4431392a.gif
theCasio will give the correct answer. TI calculators do not have thisproblem. Casio has fixed this problem in newer calculators.

http://www.imperial.edu/~...es/impliedgroupings.html

I bought my calculator this year. Good try.

usainboltisfast wrote:
This order isgenerally clear and unambiguous but problems do occur. One problem isa bug in Casio calculators made before 2007. For example, theexpression
impliedgroupings_html_m59b0ce2b.gif
shouldevaluate to 16 according to the order of operations. The divisionshould be done first. It is evaluated incorrectly to 1 by earlierCasio calculators. If you instead enter
impliedgroupings_html_m4431392a.gif
theCasio will give the correct answer. TI calculators do not have thisproblem. Casio has fixed this problem in newer calculators.

http://www.imperial.edu/~...es/impliedgroupings.html

I bought my calculator this year. Good try.

I just posted a valid source on the last page. I even posted her resume. She knows her stuff.

One woman's statement on a website? Sorry, that's not going to override a solid convention that has been  universally agreed upon as the rule to solve math equations. I can find ten thousand websites from solid sources that explain the order of operations, purplemath.com is not going to stand up against that.

I just posted a valid source on the last page. I even posted her resume. She knows her stuff.

One woman's statement on a website? Sorry, that's not going to override a solid convention that has been  universally agreed upon as the rule to solve math equations. I can find ten thousand websites from solid sources that explain the order of operations, purplemath.com is not going to stand up against that.

Mine are verifiable.
wink.gif
The vid I posted a few pages back is from myalgebra.com and it gives 288 for 48/2(9+3) and 2 for 48÷2(9+3)

Mine are verifiable.
wink.gif
The vid I posted a few pages back is from myalgebra.com and it gives 288 for 48/2(9+3) and 2 for 48÷2(9+3)

The problem is written on a single line. The linear nature of the notation of the problem, with the lack of additional brackets and parenthesis makes everyone follow the fundamental order of operations. The grouping of 2(9+3) is an ASSUMPTION. Can you get sources where the notations for division ÷ and / are inequivalent? Where  Ã· means  48 / [2(9+3)]  and / means  (48÷2) / (9+3) ?

And where implied multiplication, 2(9+3), holds precedence over explicit multiplication and division in the order of operations, * and ÷? Other than from the purplemath lady, she is just one person who holds that opinion. Even she says this assumption is questionable. e.g: "(And please do not send me an e-mail either asking for or else proffering a definitive verdict on this issue. As far as I know, there is no such final verdict. And telling me to do this your way will not solve the issue!)". In fact, everyone questions the validity of this assumption. I don't understand why you would follow a questioned assumption as opposed to concrete, fundamental rules of the order of operations.

For those arguing that you must use the distribution property, then you must correctly distribute which is

48 ÷ 2( 9 + 3)

= 48 ÷ ( 18 + 6)

= 48÷18 + 48 ÷ 6

= 2.66 + 8

= 10.66

Yes? No.

The problem is written on a single line. The linear nature of the notation of the problem, with the lack of additional brackets and parenthesis makes everyone follow the fundamental order of operations. The grouping of 2(9+3) is an ASSUMPTION. Can you get sources where the notations for division ÷ and / are inequivalent? Where  Ã· means  48 / [2(9+3)]  and / means  (48÷2) / (9+3) ?

And where implied multiplication, 2(9+3), holds precedence over explicit multiplication and division in the order of operations, * and ÷? Other than from the purplemath lady, she is just one person who holds that opinion. Even she says this assumption is questionable. e.g: "(And please do not send me an e-mail either asking for or else proffering a definitive verdict on this issue. As far as I know, there is no such final verdict. And telling me to do this your way will not solve the issue!)". In fact, everyone questions the validity of this assumption. I don't understand why you would follow a questioned assumption as opposed to concrete, fundamental rules of the order of operations.

For those arguing that you must use the distribution property, then you must correctly distribute which is

48 ÷ 2( 9 + 3)

= 48 ÷ ( 18 + 6)

= 48÷18 + 48 ÷ 6

= 2.66 + 8

= 10.66

Yes? No.

Originally Posted by inspectah derek

48 ÷ 2( 9 + 3)

= 48 ÷ ( 18 + 6)

= 48÷18 + 48 ÷ 6

= 2.66 + 8

= 10.66

Yes? No.

I'm crying here.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by BC2310

So, Wolfram Alfa and Google give us 288, and myalgebra.com gives us 2. Somewhat ambiguous. I still haven't seen a valid source that shows why the 2(12) should come first.I think that I will just follow the order of operations and stand by my belief that the answer is 288.  I think that team 2 knows that they are wrong at this point, but are just too hardheaded and prideful to admit it. The purplemath.com link is the only thing that I have seen so far that would make it logical that the answer is 2, but it's the only one, and I can't find that rule anywhere else, while the PEMDAS rules are cited everywhere. I am completely done with this thread though.

Originally Posted by BC2310

So, Wolfram Alfa and Google give us 288, and myalgebra.com gives us 2. Somewhat ambiguous. I still haven't seen a valid source that shows why the 2(12) should come first.I think that I will just follow the order of operations and stand by my belief that the answer is 288.  I think that team 2 knows that they are wrong at this point, but are just too hardheaded and prideful to admit it. The purplemath.com link is the only thing that I have seen so far that would make it logical that the answer is 2, but it's the only one, and I can't find that rule anywhere else, while the PEMDAS rules are cited everywhere. I am completely done with this thread though.

48 ÷ 2( 9 + 3)

= 48 ÷ ( 18 + 6)

= 48÷18 + 48 ÷ 6

= 2.66 + 8

= 10.66

Yes? No.

I'm crying here.
laugh.gif

48 ÷ 2( 9 + 3)

= 48 ÷ ( 18 + 6)

= 48÷18 + 48 ÷ 6

= 2.66 + 8

= 10.66

Yes? No.

double_presidential_facepalm.jpg

Back
Top Bottom