48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by kingcrux31
Cut your nails recently?
sick.gif

Originally Posted by ncmalko1

Ohh wait. The answer is 2!

2(9+3) MUST BE FACTORED FIRST IN ITS ENTIRITY.
Can we please at least disregard whatever this guy says? I'm sure no one agrees with him.

Even if you do factor 2(9+3) you get 18 + 6. Then you divide 48 by 18, which I'm sure everyone has ruled out that 8.6 is not the answer.

Can we please at least disregard whatever this guy says? I'm sure no one agrees with him.

Even if you do factor 2(9+3) you get 18 + 6. Then you divide 48 by 18, which I'm sure everyone has ruled out that 8.6 is not the answer.

48 ÷ 2x = 2

48 = 2x * 2

24 = 2x

12 = x

2x and 2(9+3) are handled exactly the same.

Sincerely, Team 2

48 ÷ 2x = 2

48 = 2x * 2

24 = 2x

12 = x

2x and 2(9+3) are handled exactly the same.

Sincerely, Team 2

Originally Posted by durty pancakes

Figures.
laugh.gif

You'll go as far as posting up 4 different handwritten notes but won't take a mere 7 seconds to input a simple calculation into your calculator. 

Admit defeat. 
Not mine BUT YOU LOSE since you're only after seeing a calculator with this answer.
Like I said, stick with team 288.

eyes.gif

Why not yours? 
laugh.gif

Something wrong with yours? Is it because it's not a Casio? Is it because the answer that will consistently show up is 288? 
laugh.gif

Oh and btw, 

usainboltisfast wrote:

This order is generally clear and unambiguous but problems do occur. One problem is a bug in Casio calculators made before 2007. For example, the expression
impliedgroupings_html_m59b0ce2b.gif
should evaluate to 16 according to the order of operations. The division should be done first. It is evaluated incorrectly to 1 by earlier Casio calculators. If you instead enter 
impliedgroupings_html_m4431392a.gif
the Casio will give the correct answer. TI calculators do not have this problem. Casio has fixed this problem in newer calculators.

http://www.imperial.edu/~...es/impliedgroupings.html

That Casio up there is defected. 

that link basically shows how to solve the problem
36/9(4) = 16

so 

48/2(12) = 288

amirite?

feel free to explain this to me, team 2

Figures.
laugh.gif

You'll go as far as posting up 4 different handwritten notes but won't take a mere 7 seconds to input a simple calculation into your calculator. 

Admit defeat. 
Not mine BUT YOU LOSE since you're only after seeing a calculator with this answer.
Like I said, stick with team 288.

eyes.gif

Why not yours? 
laugh.gif

Something wrong with yours? Is it because it's not a Casio? Is it because the answer that will consistently show up is 288? 
laugh.gif

Oh and btw, 

usainboltisfast wrote:

This order is generally clear and unambiguous but problems do occur. One problem is a bug in Casio calculators made before 2007. For example, the expression
impliedgroupings_html_m59b0ce2b.gif
should evaluate to 16 according to the order of operations. The division should be done first. It is evaluated incorrectly to 1 by earlier Casio calculators. If you instead enter 
impliedgroupings_html_m4431392a.gif
the Casio will give the correct answer. TI calculators do not have this problem. Casio has fixed this problem in newer calculators.

http://www.imperial.edu/~...es/impliedgroupings.html

That Casio up there is defected. 

that link basically shows how to solve the problem
36/9(4) = 16

so 

48/2(12) = 288

amirite?

feel free to explain this to me, team 2

Originally Posted by inspectah derek

Did I say otherwise? It's you who can't read a simple math problem properly. Again, the only way you're gonna get 288 is if 48(9+3)÷2 but the OG problem is [h3]48÷2(9+3) [/h3]

Everyone is getting 288 by looking at the original problem and  following the order of operations and not assuming that 2(9+3) is a special grouping for some random reason.  The (9+3) can, in fact, be seen either as a number multiplied by the result of 48÷2. We are applying basic math rules, and considering the division sign as a simple division between the two numbers around it. Nothing strange, and nothing worth explaining. It's simply correct. Argue that.
Simple. Does the original problem say 48(9+3) or 2(9+3)?
It says 48÷2(9+3). Let's keep looking at the original problem like you keep on saying. You get 288 by not putting a crown on 2(9+3). Don't fall into the hype of the parenthesis. It ain't special and doesn't get to cut to the front of the line for the Order of Operations pack release.

Did I say otherwise? It's you who can't read a simple math problem properly. Again, the only way you're gonna get 288 is if 48(9+3)÷2 but the OG problem is [h3]48÷2(9+3) [/h3]

Everyone is getting 288 by looking at the original problem and  following the order of operations and not assuming that 2(9+3) is a special grouping for some random reason.  The (9+3) can, in fact, be seen either as a number multiplied by the result of 48÷2. We are applying basic math rules, and considering the division sign as a simple division between the two numbers around it. Nothing strange, and nothing worth explaining. It's simply correct. Argue that.
It says 48÷2(9+3). Let's keep looking at the original problem like you keep on saying. You get 288 by not putting a crown on 2(9+3). Don't fall into the hype of the parenthesis. It ain't special and doesn't get to cut to the front of the line for the Order of Operations pack release.

Don't fall into the hype of the parenthesis. 
Okay.
laugh.gif

Don't fall into the hype of the parenthesis. 
Okay.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ljlukelj

I still don't understand team 2. It isn't please excuse distribution my dear aunt sally

I understand both sides. I'm team 2.
 Ã· vs / is the problem.

BC2310 wrote:

From MYALGEBRA.com

48÷2(9+3)
Simplify:

math_image.aspx

Answer:

48/2(9+3)

Simplify:

math_image.aspx

Answer:

I still don't understand team 2. It isn't please excuse distribution my dear aunt sally

Ã· vs / is the problem.

BC2310 wrote:

From MYALGEBRA.com

48÷2(9+3)
Simplify:

math_image.aspx

Answer:

48/2(9+3)

Simplify:

math_image.aspx

Answer:

Originally Posted by BC2310

Ã· vs / is the problem.

BC2310 wrote:

From MYALGEBRA.com

48÷2(9+3)
Simplify:

math_image.aspx

Answer:

48/2(9+3)

Simplify:

math_image.aspx

Answer:

So what's the answer to this Team 288?  
math_image.aspx

Originally Posted by BC2310

Ã· vs / is the problem.

BC2310 wrote:

From MYALGEBRA.com

48÷2(9+3)
Simplify:

math_image.aspx

Answer:

48/2(9+3)

Simplify:

math_image.aspx

Answer:

So what's the answer to this Team 288?  
math_image.aspx

Originally Posted by ElCatfisho

nah bro, you get (18+6)= (24)= 48/(24).

nah bro, you get (18+6)= (24)= 48/(24).

eek.gif
sick.gif
laugh.gif

THE PROBLEM ISNT WRITTEN AS  (2(9+3)

SO THERES NO WAY you can GET 2 ITS 288

THERES A REASON WHY YOURE PINOY AND NOT BALLING

LEARN TO TAKE NOTES AT SCHOOL

WHEN IT COMES TO DIVIDING AND MULTIPLYING IT GOES FROM WHATEVER'S FIRST

ITS THE FUNDAMENTALS OF MATHEMATICS

TELL ANY MATH PROF. ITS 2 they will LOL @ YOU

Back
Top Bottom