48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by NikeVandal

Originally Posted by BC2310

division is division multiplication is multiplication

YOU START THE DAMN PARENTHESES AT 9 AND CLOSE IT AFTER 3

which leaves you with (9+3) simplifies to 2(12)

youre distributing that either way  so thats considered multiplication according to pemdas

and when you have division in there you do whatever comes first

DIVISION WILL ALWAYS BE DIVIDING

MULTIPLICATION WILL ALWAYS BE MULTIPLYING
You still didn't answer my question.  It's written that way for a reason.... 
oh and... U mad doggy. 
glasses.gif
SON you are asking for a mollywhopping right now

i answered your damn ? and you refuse to believe the answer i could care less i am still right at the end of the day

according to your logic you can write it all you want in whatever way

but it still translates into 48 DIVIDED BY 2 TIMES THE SUM OF 9 AND 3 

AND SINCE THE SUM IS IN ( ) IT TAKES PRIORITY

THAN YOU ARE LEFT WITH MULTIPLICATION AND DIVISION GO LEFT TO RIGHT

ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE

I HAVE FACTS ON FACTS you have nothing
eyes.gif

You didn't answer my question about why the equation is written the way it is everywhere it's debated.  
Do you think it's easy to find the og division symbol on a keyboard? I don't. 

Why does everyone starting a thread in every forum have the og outdated division symbol? wouldn't it be easier to use/? I think so.
My facts are myalgebra.com which seems to have the only software available that knows the difference between the division symbols.

Division is division multiplication is multiplication.  blah blah blah 

Then why use the og symbol?

Originally Posted by BC2310

division is division multiplication is multiplication

YOU START THE DAMN PARENTHESES AT 9 AND CLOSE IT AFTER 3

which leaves you with (9+3) simplifies to 2(12)

youre distributing that either way  so thats considered multiplication according to pemdas

and when you have division in there you do whatever comes first

DIVISION WILL ALWAYS BE DIVIDING

MULTIPLICATION WILL ALWAYS BE MULTIPLYING
You still didn't answer my question.  It's written that way for a reason.... 
oh and... U mad doggy. 
glasses.gif
SON you are asking for a mollywhopping right now

i answered your damn ? and you refuse to believe the answer i could care less i am still right at the end of the day

according to your logic you can write it all you want in whatever way

but it still translates into 48 DIVIDED BY 2 TIMES THE SUM OF 9 AND 3 

AND SINCE THE SUM IS IN ( ) IT TAKES PRIORITY

THAN YOU ARE LEFT WITH MULTIPLICATION AND DIVISION GO LEFT TO RIGHT

ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE

I HAVE FACTS ON FACTS you have nothing
eyes.gif

You didn't answer my question about why the equation is written the way it is everywhere it's debated.  
Do you think it's easy to find the og division symbol on a keyboard? I don't. 

Why does everyone starting a thread in every forum have the og outdated division symbol? wouldn't it be easier to use/? I think so.
My facts are myalgebra.com which seems to have the only software available that knows the difference between the division symbols.

Division is division multiplication is multiplication.  blah blah blah 

Then why use the og symbol?

Originally Posted by kingcrux31

Originally Posted by il prescelto

Wrong.
Okay, you genius, where is the multiplication in (2+3)? Or (6)?
Parentheses signify that whatever is inside of them should be computed first; they also can imply multiplication because the notation X(Y) has taken on the meaning of X x Y.

...And just in case you have the brilliant idea of saying the 6 is being multiplied by a 1 (since 6 x 1 = 6), I'll let you know 6 / 1 = 6 as well. Do parentheses imply division, too?

Your math skills =
sick.gif
Why would you even use 2+3 and 6 as examples when there's no need to put them in ( )?
laugh.gif

Come up with a real problem showing ( ) used for something else other than multiplication then we'll talk

Your math skills =
sick.gif
sick.gif
(
sick.gif
+
sick.gif
)
Because they prove my point. Are you saying (2+3) and (6) are mathematically incorrect expressions? Get a life dude.
And you still haven't told me where the multiplication lies in (6).
grin.gif

Since you insist, though, here: (2+3)/5. The parentheses are needed, since (2+3)/5 simplifies to 1, whereas 2+3/5 simplifies to 13/5.

You really thought the sole purpose of parentheses was to indicate multiplication?
roll.gif
... Who let you graduate from college? lol

Wrong.
Parentheses signify that whatever is inside of them should be computed first; they also can imply multiplication because the notation X(Y) has taken on the meaning of X x Y.

...And just in case you have the brilliant idea of saying the 6 is being multiplied by a 1 (since 6 x 1 = 6), I'll let you know 6 / 1 = 6 as well. Do parentheses imply division, too?

Your math skills =
sick.gif
Why would you even use 2+3 and 6 as examples when there's no need to put them in ( )?
laugh.gif

Come up with a real problem showing ( ) used for something else other than multiplication then we'll talk

Your math skills =
sick.gif
sick.gif
(
sick.gif
+
sick.gif
)
Because they prove my point. Are you saying (2+3) and (6) are mathematically incorrect expressions? Get a life dude.
grin.gif

Since you insist, though, here: (2+3)/5. The parentheses are needed, since (2+3)/5 simplifies to 1, whereas 2+3/5 simplifies to 13/5.

You really thought the sole purpose of parentheses was to indicate multiplication?
roll.gif

Obvious troll is obvious.
TROLL.

"Oh yeah divide AND multiply that pizza into six slices."

"Gremlins multiply AND divide when they touch water."

Smart, really smart.
Parentheses don't necessarily mean multiplication.
Wrong.

Everyone look at this guy! Pizzas and Gremlins! Can you people honestly take this guy seriously from now on?

Parenthesis don't necessarily mean multiplication. Only if no operator (like +,-,*,/ etc) is before the brackets do they mean multiplication.

Example 1

1Ti7Q.png

Parenthesis don't necessarily mean multiplication.

N1p19.png

http://www.solving-math-p...symbols-parentheses.html

GpbQD.png

HUkoF.png

http://www.mathgoodies.co...l7/order_operations.html

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Parenthesis.html

Only if no operator (like +,-,*,/ etc) is before the brackets do they mean multiplication

Wrong.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Obvious troll is obvious.
TROLL.

"Oh yeah divide AND multiply that pizza into six slices."

"Gremlins multiply AND divide when they touch water."

Smart, really smart.
Wrong.

Everyone look at this guy! Pizzas and Gremlins! Can you people honestly take this guy seriously from now on?

Parenthesis don't necessarily mean multiplication. Only if no operator (like +,-,*,/ etc) is before the brackets do they mean multiplication.

Example 1

1Ti7Q.png

N1p19.png

GpbQD.png

HUkoF.png

Only if no operator (like +,-,*,/ etc) is before the brackets do they mean multiplication

Wrong.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Your math skills =
sick.gif
laugh.gif

Your math skills =
sick.gif
sick.gif
(
sick.gif
+
sick.gif
)
grin.gif

roll.gif
They don't prove your point. You just want it to seem that way to favor your WRONG interpretation. At least provide a REAL example like (2+3) - (6+1) = 
No multiplication needed, right? WRONG. You multiply 2 and 3 with positive 1,  multiply 6 and 1 with negative 1 before proceeding. 

You don't need ( ) when the problem is clearly written as 2+3 , 2 + 3 or 2  + 3 because again, there is no need for them, just like your previous examples. 

5            5     5

laugh.gif

Your math skills =
sick.gif
laugh.gif

Your math skills =
sick.gif
sick.gif
(
sick.gif
+
sick.gif
)
grin.gif

roll.gif
They don't prove your point. You just want it to seem that way to favor your WRONG interpretation. At least provide a REAL example like (2+3) - (6+1) = 
No multiplication needed, right? WRONG. You multiply 2 and 3 with positive 1,  multiply 6 and 1 with negative 1 before proceeding. 

You don't need ( ) when the problem is clearly written as 2+3 , 2 + 3 or 2  + 3 because again, there is no need for them, just like your previous examples. 

5            5     5

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by inspectah derek

Wrong.

Example 1

1Ti7Q.png

N1p19.png

GpbQD.png

HUkoF.png

Wrong.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

You do know that division IS THE INVERSE of multiplication, right?
No wait, you obviously don't.

laugh.gif
roll.gif

Wrong.

Example 1

1Ti7Q.png

N1p19.png

GpbQD.png

HUkoF.png

Wrong.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

You do know that division IS THE INVERSE of multiplication, right?
No wait, you obviously don't.

laugh.gif
roll.gif

So basically because there is no operator before the brackets in this equation, the 2 must multiply what's in the brackets in order to simplify the equation.

Therefore the equation is worked out like this:

48÷2(9+3)
48÷(18+6)
48÷24
= 2

So basically because there is no operator before the brackets in this equation, the 2 must multiply what's in the brackets in order to simplify the equation.

Therefore the equation is worked out like this:

48÷2(9+3)
48÷(18+6)
48÷24
= 2

Division sure is the inverse of multiplication. But parentheses don't necessarily mean multiplication.

Hsjmn.png

http://math.about.com/library/weekly/aa040502a.htm

Wrong.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

The operation MAY NOT call for multiplication but anything inside ( ) is always understood to be preceded by 1 (or -1, depending on the sign) unless a different number appears. 
You're just inserting "But parentheses don't necessarily mean multiplication" in your every quote when that phrase clearly DOES NOT EXIST in the links you provided.

Division sure is the inverse of multiplication. But parentheses don't necessarily mean multiplication.

Hsjmn.png

Wrong.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

The operation MAY NOT call for multiplication but anything inside ( ) is always understood to be preceded by 1 (or -1, depending on the sign) unless a different number appears. 
You're just inserting "But parentheses don't necessarily mean multiplication" in your every quote when that phrase clearly DOES NOT EXIST in the links you provided.

Hsjmn.png

Wrong.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

The links provide the example problems that back up the claim that parentheses don't necessarily mean multiplication. Cause that's what you're supposed to do... you know, back up your claims. 288'ers have an abundance of sources. I haven't seen anything from you except your little drawings on paper and a pic of someone else's calculator. What else do you have? The purplemath.com lady?

Back
Top Bottom