48÷2(9+3) = ???

eek.gif
how did this thread get to 127 pages so quickly?

Originally Posted by inspectah derek

I'm not debating against other 2'ers because most of their methods are understandable. You on the other hand, your claims are just wild. If this is still on the front page tomorrow, I'll see you later.
O'RLY?
Show me where my solution is different from theirs.

As far as I know every member who posted 2 agree why the answer is such including myself. You 288'ers on the other hand.
laugh.gif

I'm not debating against other 2'ers because most of their methods are understandable. You on the other hand, your claims are just wild. If this is still on the front page tomorrow, I'll see you later.
O'RLY?
Show me where my solution is different from theirs.

As far as I know every member who posted 2 agree why the answer is such including myself. You 288'ers on the other hand.
laugh.gif

is it even possible to derail this thread?
the answer is obviously 2, if you didn't get 2 you obviously play for team to-eaigtyate

is it even possible to derail this thread?
the answer is obviously 2, if you didn't get 2 you obviously play for team to-eaigtyate

I go to Vegas for a weekend and come back to this thread being quadruple what it was....

I go to Vegas for a weekend and come back to this thread being quadruple what it was....

Originally Posted by JChambers

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

I just posted a valid source on the last page. I even posted her resume. She knows her stuff.

One woman's statement on a website? Sorry, that's not going to override a solid convention that has been  universally agreed upon as the rule to solve math equations. I can find ten thousand websites from solid sources that explain the order of operations, purplemath.com is not going to stand up against that.
You obviously missed the point she made that such a problem is rare and sure to incite arguments.

She is not overriding PEMDAS, just treating 2(9+3) as a parenthetical phrase that must be resolved first. Put it like this, a parenthesis is like a black hole, it has a strong attraction to everything surrounding it. Since the division sign - or multiplication sign, if there was one - NOTE: 2x(9+3) =/= 2(9+3) - separates the 28 from the parenthesis, it is the only number, that is not attracted to the parenthesis.

Originally Posted by JChambers

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

I just posted a valid source on the last page. I even posted her resume. She knows her stuff.

One woman's statement on a website? Sorry, that's not going to override a solid convention that has been  universally agreed upon as the rule to solve math equations. I can find ten thousand websites from solid sources that explain the order of operations, purplemath.com is not going to stand up against that.
You obviously missed the point she made that such a problem is rare and sure to incite arguments.

She is not overriding PEMDAS, just treating 2(9+3) as a parenthetical phrase that must be resolved first. Put it like this, a parenthesis is like a black hole, it has a strong attraction to everything surrounding it. Since the division sign - or multiplication sign, if there was one - NOTE: 2x(9+3) =/= 2(9+3) - separates the 28 from the parenthesis, it is the only number, that is not attracted to the parenthesis.

I had a dream about this last night..WHAT IN THE WORLD ?!

I remember it clear as day. I went back to my middle school and asked a random teacher, and showed him what I was talking about. I don't even remember what the teacher said. Then I started seeing old teachers I knew and forgot about the problem,
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by do work son

i had the same dream
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

asked my math teacher, then saw the science teacher that hated me. felt like i was back in middle school again, until i woke up for my 8 AM 
30t6p3b.gif

roll.gif

It was wild man. I just realized it as soon as I saw this thread in class today. Same thing.
It was pretty nostalgic.
pimp.gif

I remember it clear as day. I went back to my middle school and asked a random teacher, and showed him what I was talking about. I don't even remember what the teacher said. Then I started seeing old teachers I knew and forgot about the problem,
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by do work son

i had the same dream
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

asked my math teacher, then saw the science teacher that hated me. felt like i was back in middle school again, until i woke up for my 8 AM 
30t6p3b.gif

roll.gif

It was wild man. I just realized it as soon as I saw this thread in class today. Same thing.
It was pretty nostalgic.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by snakeyes17

laugh.gif

i had the same dream
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by snakeyes17

laugh.gif

i had the same dream
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif

Division sure is the inverse of multiplication. But parentheses don't necessarily mean multiplication.

Hsjmn.png

http://math.about.com/library/weekly/aa040502a.htm

Originally Posted by kingcrux31

Wrong.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Technically it does. You can say that 1 is being multiplied by what is in the parenthesis. But this is getting out of hand y'all are still debating over this. This problem is too ambiguous.

Division sure is the inverse of multiplication. But parentheses don't necessarily mean multiplication.

Hsjmn.png

http://math.about.com/library/weekly/aa040502a.htm

Wrong.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Technically it does. You can say that 1 is being multiplied by what is in the parenthesis. But this is getting out of hand y'all are still debating over this. This problem is too ambiguous.

Anyone who is against doing this step first?

Restate 48÷2 as 48*1/2 or 48*(1/2), same thing. It is 1/2, not 2, that should be distributed to the (9+3).

48÷2(9+3)
= 48*(1/2)*(9+3)
= 24*12
= 288

or if you choose to distribute...

48÷2(9+3)
= 48*(1/2)*(9+3)
= 48*(4.5+1.5)
= 216+72
=288

Anyone who is against doing this step first?

Restate 48÷2 as 48*1/2 or 48*(1/2), same thing. It is 1/2, not 2, that should be distributed to the (9+3).

48÷2(9+3)
= 48*(1/2)*(9+3)
= 24*12
= 288

or if you choose to distribute...

48÷2(9+3)
= 48*(1/2)*(9+3)
= 48*(4.5+1.5)
= 216+72
=288

Originally Posted by BC2310

Originally Posted by NikeVandal

NO ONE CAN DEFEND MYALGEBRA.COM
ANYONE GETTING HEATED OVER THIS IS LOSING AT LIFE

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHY I'M TYPING IN CAPS

Team2 btw 
glasses.gif

COMPUTATIONAL KNOWLEDGE ENGINE > My ALGEBRA

youre trying to tell me your toyota corolla is better than my ferrari
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
I do not trust the german site and it's feasible that any math software would use both signs interchangeably which is incorrect. 
Unfortunately the og division symbol is so old and played out it has little relevance today, until some trolling genius came up with this poorly written 'simple' equation.

Why do you think it's written that way everywhere? and not with / ?  with / it's 288 with the og division symbol it's 2.

let's be real U Mad b/c I made fun of your all cap know it all message board style
glasses.gif
Oh I'm sorry let's disregard the greatest computer innovation of 2009 according to Popular Science.
I'm sure this website running on over 10,000 computers is sure to get the wrong answer to a simple algebra problem.
And it gets 288 if you use ÷ or / in the problem.
But let's go with a no name website myalgebra.com....yeah.

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

Originally Posted by Klipschorn

[48÷2(9)]+[48÷2(3)]
That is how you distribute. You follow order of operations, division and then multiplication within each bracket.
[24(9)]+[24(3)]
216+72 = 288
TEAM288 REPRESENT.
Thank you MathGod 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

hope this lulls Crux to sleep 
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

also, smh at not knowing the other night, was sleepy

This is correct. Distribution is a function of multiplication. You must perform division first in this problem.

TEAM288 REPRESENT.
Thank you MathGod 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Distributing a number NOT DIRECTLY ATTACHED to ( ) is WRONG.

It's becoming more and more evident how many of you don't know what you're talking about.
laugh.gif
Actually, you're wrong.
But I could predict your response would just be "Troll
laugh.gif
" .......
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by NikeVandal

NO ONE CAN DEFEND MYALGEBRA.COM
ANYONE GETTING HEATED OVER THIS IS LOSING AT LIFE

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHY I'M TYPING IN CAPS

Team2 btw 
glasses.gif

COMPUTATIONAL KNOWLEDGE ENGINE > My ALGEBRA

youre trying to tell me your toyota corolla is better than my ferrari
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
I do not trust the german site and it's feasible that any math software would use both signs interchangeably which is incorrect. 
Unfortunately the og division symbol is so old and played out it has little relevance today, until some trolling genius came up with this poorly written 'simple' equation.

Why do you think it's written that way everywhere? and not with / ?  with / it's 288 with the og division symbol it's 2.

let's be real U Mad b/c I made fun of your all cap know it all message board style
glasses.gif
Oh I'm sorry let's disregard the greatest computer innovation of 2009 according to Popular Science.
I'm sure this website running on over 10,000 computers is sure to get the wrong answer to a simple algebra problem.
And it gets 288 if you use ÷ or / in the problem.
But let's go with a no name website myalgebra.com....yeah.

[48÷2(9)]+[48÷2(3)]
That is how you distribute. You follow order of operations, division and then multiplication within each bracket.
[24(9)]+[24(3)]
216+72 = 288
TEAM288 REPRESENT.
Thank you MathGod 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

nerd.gif
nerd.gif

This is correct. Distribution is a function of multiplication. You must perform division first in this problem.

TEAM288 REPRESENT.
Thank you MathGod 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Distributing a number NOT DIRECTLY ATTACHED to ( ) is WRONG.

It's becoming more and more evident how many of you don't know what you're talking about.
laugh.gif
Actually, you're wrong.
But I could predict your response would just be "Troll
laugh.gif
" .......
indifferent.gif

Back
Top Bottom