48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by MECKS

Originally Posted by Mo Greene

solve 15+3(2x1)

like i said a(b+c0 DOES = ab+ac but in an equation such as above you have to consider it as (ab+ac)
(my bad with the typo above i just realized i put " b " where the a should be )

The distributive property is handy to help you get rid of parentheses
a(b + c) = ab + ac

http://math.about.com/od/algebra/a/distributive.htm

Solve the equation. Dude. U quoting things that are irrelevant .
not sure what your point is, but i'll solve it...using PEMDAS.

solve 15+3(2x1)

parenthesis first

15 + 3(2)

then multiplication

15 + 6

then addition

15 + 6 = 21.

still trying to figure out your point...you use PEMDAS in this problem, just like you use it in every other problem. again, the 'distributive property' does not apply to problems that do not involve variables. in problems with strictly numbers, you solve the terms in the parenthesis first before following the order of operations in the correct order (from left to right)--no need to distribute here.

carry on folks...team 288
pimp.gif

-waystinthyme

Originally Posted by Mo Greene

solve 15+3(2x1)

like i said a(b+c0 DOES = ab+ac but in an equation such as above you have to consider it as (ab+ac)
(my bad with the typo above i just realized i put " b " where the a should be )

The distributive property is handy to help you get rid of parentheses
a(b + c) = ab + ac

http://math.about.com/od/algebra/a/distributive.htm

Solve the equation. Dude. U quoting things that are irrelevant .
not sure what your point is, but i'll solve it...using PEMDAS.

solve 15+3(2x1)

parenthesis first

15 + 3(2)

then multiplication

15 + 6

then addition

15 + 6 = 21.

still trying to figure out your point...you use PEMDAS in this problem, just like you use it in every other problem. again, the 'distributive property' does not apply to problems that do not involve variables. in problems with strictly numbers, you solve the terms in the parenthesis first before following the order of operations in the correct order (from left to right)--no need to distribute here.

carry on folks...team 288
pimp.gif

-waystinthyme

Originally Posted by MzD650

Did team 2 give up yet?

I believe they have, but no one from team 2 has officially conceded defeat.
crux?  do work son?  balloonoboy?

would any of you guys like to do the honors?

Did team 2 give up yet?

I believe they have, but no one from team 2 has officially conceded defeat.
crux?  do work son?  balloonoboy?

would any of you guys like to do the honors?

the answer is 2, though. i'm still wondering why you people with subpar math skills aren't getting rid of the parentheses before moving on. the addition alone doesn't make the parentheses disappear.

the answer is 2, though. i'm still wondering why you people with subpar math skills aren't getting rid of the parentheses before moving on. the addition alone doesn't make the parentheses disappear.

Originally Posted by willsndvl

but no one ever said the parentheses need to disappear before going forward with the equation

but no one ever said the parentheses need to disappear before going forward with the equation

so you are saying (12) doesnt equal to 12? The parenthesis is removed by simplifying as seen here:

http://www.themathpage.com/alg/parentheses.htm

The parenthesis from this point only shows the juxtaposition of the terms which indicates multiplication. People are trying to argue that juxtaposed terms are supposed to be calculate first but there is no proof of this online saying they would void normal order of operation.

so you are saying (12) doesnt equal to 12? The parenthesis is removed by simplifying as seen here:

http://www.themathpage.com/alg/parentheses.htm

The parenthesis from this point only shows the juxtaposition of the terms which indicates multiplication. People are trying to argue that juxtaposed terms are supposed to be calculate first but there is no proof of this online saying they would void normal order of operation.

After the addition, the parenthesis doesnt disappear.....it represents multiplication.  Simple.

After the addition, the parenthesis doesnt disappear.....it represents multiplication.  Simple.

2jdgodv.gif

Back
Top Bottom