7 day DC trip: What to do?

^^ is it THAT bad? I can't understand how a main tourist spot is still labelled as "murder capital" of the world?!?!?

Originally Posted by rayray3thousand

^^ is it THAT bad? I can't understand how a main tourist spot is still labelled as "murder capital" of the world?!?!?

the places you're going to be visiting as a tourist are safe... they wouldn't let people shoot up where they make all that money

Originally Posted by rayray3thousand

the places you're going to be visiting as a tourist are safe... they wouldn't let people shoot up where they make all that money

northern virginia is 20-30 minute drive. hit up tysons corner mall (probably the best mall in VA IMO) has an imax theater as well and some decent restaurants.
stop by the Reston Town Center, its a very up and coming place, you won't be disappointed the food is amazing, the shopping is alright as well.

northern virginia is 20-30 minute drive. hit up tysons corner mall (probably the best mall in VA IMO) has an imax theater as well and some decent restaurants.
stop by the Reston Town Center, its a very up and coming place, you won't be disappointed the food is amazing, the shopping is alright as well.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
at coming all the way to DC and then going to the mall in Virginia.

NO.

Originally Posted by pdouly33

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

NO.
For real. If you really must visit a mall go to Pentagon City. If you want to shop go to Georgetown.

Monuments, museums, Arlington Cemetery, Georgetown. Trust me, there is enough in those four to keep you busy for two weeks.

And
indifferent.gif
to people making it seem like dude needs to fear for his safety. The tourist parts of DC are completely safe.

Originally Posted by pdouly33

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

NO.
For real. If you really must visit a mall go to Pentagon City. If you want to shop go to Georgetown.

Monuments, museums, Arlington Cemetery, Georgetown. Trust me, there is enough in those four to keep you busy for two weeks.

And
indifferent.gif
to people making it seem like dude needs to fear for his safety. The tourist parts of DC are completely safe.

Originally Posted by sportz4life10

Why would you even suggest dude going to the RTC? 
laugh.gif
  Pointless.

Anyways, the great thing about DC is that the museums are FREE.  Make sure you hit up the Nat'l Zoo (I suggest mid-week to avoid the weekend crowds), Air & Space Museum, Holocaust Museum, Tidal Basin, Wash. Monument, etc....also, since you'll be in DC in a few months, call the White House to see if you can get tickets for a tour.  There's so much to do.  You don't even need to really waste your time venturing out to McLean, Vienna, or Reston like it was suggested.  If you are going to go into NoVA, Arlington is right across the bridge (and Metro accessible). 

As far as food:

Ben's Chili Bowl - staple of DC...it's touristy, and I don't think the food is all that...but it's a good experience.

Founding Farmers

Matchbox

Old Ebbitt Grill

Cafe Milano

Blue Duck Tavern

Oohs and Aahs

Georgetown Cupcake (not a restaurant, but if you're in G'Town for shopping, this is a good place to get dessert)

*Since you're from Hawaii, don't even bother with seafood in DC. 

if you have time to party, there are so many clubs, lounges, bars in DC and the birds are TOUGH. Go 45 mins up 95 and u can visit baltimore as well.

Originally Posted by sportz4life10

Why would you even suggest dude going to the RTC? 
laugh.gif
  Pointless.

Anyways, the great thing about DC is that the museums are FREE.  Make sure you hit up the Nat'l Zoo (I suggest mid-week to avoid the weekend crowds), Air & Space Museum, Holocaust Museum, Tidal Basin, Wash. Monument, etc....also, since you'll be in DC in a few months, call the White House to see if you can get tickets for a tour.  There's so much to do.  You don't even need to really waste your time venturing out to McLean, Vienna, or Reston like it was suggested.  If you are going to go into NoVA, Arlington is right across the bridge (and Metro accessible). 

As far as food:

Ben's Chili Bowl - staple of DC...it's touristy, and I don't think the food is all that...but it's a good experience.

Founding Farmers

Matchbox

Old Ebbitt Grill

Cafe Milano

Blue Duck Tavern

Oohs and Aahs

Georgetown Cupcake (not a restaurant, but if you're in G'Town for shopping, this is a good place to get dessert)

*Since you're from Hawaii, don't even bother with seafood in DC. 

if you have time to party, there are so many clubs, lounges, bars in DC and the birds are TOUGH. Go 45 mins up 95 and u can visit baltimore as well.

Georgetown
7th Street
Adams Morgan
H Street
College Park, MD

There are plenty of spots to go to...If you got a lil money

Georgetown
7th Street
Adams Morgan
H Street
College Park, MD

There are plenty of spots to go to...If you got a lil money

Subway, Subway, Subway. Ditch your car, ride the Metro. It will take you any and everywhere.

Best Pizza Spots

Angelicos - Locations - http://www.angelicopizzeria.com/locations.php
Bertuccis - Locations - http://www.bertuccis.com/
Matchbox - Bear Gallery Place Metro

I personally like Old Town Alexandria, but it will be early March so I don't know if we will be in spring or winter mode. - http://visitalexandriava.com/ (King St. Metro - Yellow Line)

Some like the National Harbor - http://www.nationalharbor.com/ (Not Metro Accessible)

Georgetown isn't REALLY Metro Accessible but you could take the train to Rosslyn and walk or Foggy Bottom and catch the shuttle.

Subway, Subway, Subway. Ditch your car, ride the Metro. It will take you any and everywhere.

Best Pizza Spots

Angelicos - Locations - http://www.angelicopizzeria.com/locations.php
Bertuccis - Locations - http://www.bertuccis.com/
Matchbox - Bear Gallery Place Metro

I personally like Old Town Alexandria, but it will be early March so I don't know if we will be in spring or winter mode. - http://visitalexandriava.com/ (King St. Metro - Yellow Line)

Some like the National Harbor - http://www.nationalharbor.com/ (Not Metro Accessible)

Georgetown isn't REALLY Metro Accessible but you could take the train to Rosslyn and walk or Foggy Bottom and catch the shuttle.

I dont understand why people say "Georgetown for the shopping" as a resident of 20007, I will say that shopping in Georgetown is nothing more than an outdoor mall with narrow side walks. All the stores along what us residents call the "Gaza Strip" (the stores between N and P) are nothing more than drug fronts that have had the same crap in there windows for the past decade.

Also, don't understand the "don't get shot" comments, if you go sight seeing in SE, I would probably advise against it but they arent going to shoot you, contrary to what some of the people on here would like to lead you to believe.

I dont understand why people say "Georgetown for the shopping" as a resident of 20007, I will say that shopping in Georgetown is nothing more than an outdoor mall with narrow side walks. All the stores along what us residents call the "Gaza Strip" (the stores between N and P) are nothing more than drug fronts that have had the same crap in there windows for the past decade.

Also, don't understand the "don't get shot" comments, if you go sight seeing in SE, I would probably advise against it but they arent going to shoot you, contrary to what some of the people on here would like to lead you to believe.

Back
Top Bottom