A highly needed Thread: BLUNT ASHES for Dummies...

AS some of you should know, this is my favorite track of off Hip Hop is Dead. I favor this song even more then Black Republicans. Why? The highly sought intowork that Nasty conducted. On this record, the man really did his homework...

Now i love to sit back and
pimp.gif
to this song whenever i get the chance. Onthe 25th of Christmas in 06, i literally listend to this song 25 times in a row...i fell in love.

Now im goin to break down this song as much as i can; leaving out a few parts for some of the NTers to solve themselves...

FIRST of ALL...let it be known that Chris Webber, yes Chris Webber of the Detroit Pistons PRODUCED this song.
pimp.gif
Incredible.

Here we go...

Yo, I wonder if Langston Hughes and Alex Haley
got blazed before they told stories
Well I'ma get blazed before I tell y'all stories
I saw on tv today, this man lost his son, his son died
So he had him cremated, took his ashes, and then made it to a Diamond ring
Now he watches his son shine everyday
I just thought about that, while I sit here ashing in this ash tray, yea
Langston Hughes
Langston_Hughes_by_Nickolas_Muray.jpg

An American Poet from the Harlem Renissance. He was once outcasted in Grammer School for having the most rhythm in class; hence he was awarded the Class Poet.He also attended high school in Cleveland Ohio
pimp.gif
my hometown.

Alex Haley
Haley_thumb.jpg

a 20 year US coast gaurd service-man; he overcame a tremendous amount of racism. Known for the Autobiography of Malcolm X. Also known for interviewing MuhammadAli, Sammy Davis Jr, and Quincy Jones.

The makin' of a mad band
Intricate stories of DeVante Swing
Ava Gardner, the crashin' of James Dean
Bobby Brown influenced by Rick James and it goes..
Prince wanted Alexander O'Neal to be Morris Day or Jerome
But Alex was puttin' coke in his nose, ***** whylin'
Could be a myth but I swear that the source was close, Phyllis Hyman
Killed herself
, it was crazy, mommy was bad they say
Donny Hathaway free fall from a balcony, he swings

DeVante Swing
jodeci1_203_203x152.jpg

One Quarter of the band Jodeci. Main song-writer and producer.

Ava Gardner
ava-sized.jpg
Actress. A huge sex symbol thru the 40's and50's. A very outspoken woman. Once criticized the sex with her first husband by saying "Well, honey, he may have enjoyed the sex, but I sure as helldidn't." Also married Artie Shaw; divorced and then re-married the Late Great Frank Sinatra. She claimed the sex with Frankie was great; was pregnantbut terminated her pregnancy claiming they both couldnt take care of themselves, let alone a baby. To say the least...

James Dean
James_Dean_4.jpg

Well Known Actor. Died in a car crash on highway 46 in California. A fellow guy by the name of Jay-Z once said "Even James Dean couldn't escape theallure/ Dying young, leaving a good looking corpse."
tired.gif

Phyllis Hyman
Phyllis.jpg

Singer of the 80's. Comitted suicide with sleeping pills and vodka. She left a note stating "I'm tired. I'm tired. Those of you that I loveknow who you are. May God bless you."
tired.gif

Danny Hathaway
donny_hathaway.jpg

A Chicago American Soul musician. Participated in songs with Aretha Franklin and Curtis Mayfield, to name a few. Suffered from depression most of his life.Hathaway was found laying dead outside of his NYC home. He fell several stories to his death...body found no struggling...was ruled a suicide.

Sam trusted Womack with his main lady
He tossin' in the grave, like, "this is how you repay me"?
A change gon' come, wish you didn't trust me so much
Marvin said "no mountain's high enough, fly stuff"
David Ruffin was punchin' Tammy Terrell, gave her concussions
While the Funk Brothers was layin' down the percussion
When Flo from the Surpremes died, Diana Ross cried
Many people said that she was laughin' inside

Bobby-Womack-8.jpg

Bobby Womack also from Cleveland Ohio
pimp.gif

+

cdUnfor.jpg

Sam Cooke

In March 1965 just after he turned 21 years old--and just 3 months after Sam Cooke's December 1964 murder -- Womack created scandal by marrying Cooke'swidow Barbara Campbell. Womack claimed he married Barbara for fear that if she were left alone she would do something crazy.

David Ruffin

David%20Ruffin.jpg

+
Tammi Terrell

terrell-sm.jpg

David Ruffin from the Temptations. American soul singer in the 60's. Tammi Terrell- American soul singer. Ruffin had an abusive relationship with Tammi,also was claimed that his beating gave the diagnosis of Tammi's Brain Tumor; which she died to in '71. She also had an affair with Marvin Gaye.

John F. Kennedy's, enemies dealt with treachery
It interests me, Judy Campbell in Gucci sandals
She's what a temptress be
The death of Ennis Cosby, what a mystery
Or the Chicagoan Harold Washington
Someone is sabotaging them
Watch out for the traps
Larry Troutman killed his brother Roger Troutman
Then he killed himself, that's the end of Zapp
And I wouldn't change a thing, mistakes of the greats
This is what came from their pain
From their hurt we gain, an unfair exchange
Ennis Cosby
ennis.cosby.jpg

Son of Great Actor and innovator Bill Cosby. Was mysteriously murdered by Russian Mikhail Markhasev on January 16, 1997 in LA. Ennis pulled over his MercedesBenz to the side of the road due to a falt tire on interstate 405. He was confronted by Markhasev; and demanded money from Cosby. Markhasev then shot Ennis inthe head and then fled the scene. Markhasev is currently serving a lifetime sentence without parole.

Markhasev
markhasev.jpg

Roger Troutman
54763.jpg

Roger Troutman was found dead outside of his recording studio in 1999. The 47 year old was shot several times in the torso and died several hours later. Hisbrother Larry was later found dead a few blocks away in a vehicle with the same weapon. It was later announced a Murder-Suicide.

Discuss.

Knew the history of all of those named but I never listened to the song. I'll check it out but C.Webb produced it?? That has me a lil cautious. To dropsuch names...the song better not be hot garbage

it's a cool, laid back song...thanks for the effort in putting up some info about the people Nas mentioned. Learned a few things.

I love this song, also my favourite track off "Hip Hop Is Dead". Productuion is on point too, C-Webb is talented in that department... check out"Surviving The Times" from Nas' recently released greatest hits, he did that track and it's great.

Honestly, I had little to no clue what Nas was talkin about but I just loved this song. The beat, the overall vibe of it was
pimp.gif
(no pun intended). StillDreamin & Blunt Ashes are the only tracks I still listen too.

The song is cool, but I wondered what he was talking about. Like what is the point of all the references to famous people? I guess just talking about death???eh.

almost all of those are household names.
all he's really doing is name-dropping a lot of famous ppl and referencing events that happened to them in chronological order
laugh.gif
there's reallynothing special about that IMO
i really don't see what's the difference between this and Game's name-dropping, except for the ppl he's referring to and that it's a littlemore organized.

i really didn't see what was so great about HHID on the whole to be honest...

damnnn...some info i never knew about in this song...the beat is as cold as ice
pimp.gif

Appreciate the effort on this post.

"and I wouldn't change a thing, mistakes of the greats, this is what came from their pain, from their hurt we gain a unfair exchange"

I like the song as well, it reminds me of "Hero's Die" by Scorazayzee which is also dope

Back
Top Bottom