Abolish the Welfare System in America Vol. Mature Discussion

Most people on welfare do not want to be on welfare.

Easier said than done to suddenly find a job that can pay your rent and food and stop being on welfare.

Way more things to worry about than waking up upset because a few cents is being deducted from your check.

LOL @ OP  you took that name from my jordan poster thread..
laugh.gif

funny guy...

http://niketalk.com/t/515694/jordan-brand-event-invitation-poster-with-hidden-message

the only people i know on welfare needed it..it was people that busted their behinds at their companys new management came thru cleaned house now these folk were laid off...

unemployment only lasts soo long, and when you have a wife and kids its not easy at all..

after my step dads unemployment ran out they had to apply for cash aid, i dont know how it is where yall live but in cali, you have to attend a job training for 20 or 30 hours a week..

the cost of living is also high here, it wasnt like stepdad was just chillin drinking beer all day or w/e he was always looking for jobs and even volunteered at my lil bros rec center being a coach

that money that comes out of your check is there for when YOU go thru hard times..you want that gone? 

i know you're just trolling but theres alot of clowns that feel the same way you do, but these people are the ones who couldnt survive in the real world, they're lucky to have mommy n daddy.

MitsubishiMargiela: you really have no business starting threads that have anything to do with MONEY...you showed your face in that stupid troll thread your buddy started about that video about ninjas collection.
mean.gif

Last edited:
 Welfare just gives people a crutch and breeds complacency.

i think some of you wrongly look at ALL welfare recipients as lazy people who want to take advantage of the system....

i can tell half of yall are sheltered and never ever came close to having to need govt help....not yalls fault, i wish no one in america had to....

but ask anybody from the hood, i mean the hood hood..section 8...the bricks..the jects...whatever they call it where your from...

ask anybody from the hood and theyll tell you the people in their neighborhood that sell dope/lazy/ take advantage of the system are the minority by far....

EVERYDAY PEOPLE ON WELFARE WAKE UP AND WORK HARD JUST LIKE YOU...THEY PAY TAXES JUST LIKE YOU...HELL, IM WILLING TO BET THEY WORK MUCH HARDER FOR WAAAAY LESS THAN YOU!

people from the outside look at welfare recipients as lazy people who take advantage of the system....some of the most honest and hard working people i kknow are/were on welfare before...sometimes working hard isnt enough man...

i promise you, if yall dudes spent 1 day how i grew up...spent 1 day with literally NOTHING, yall would sing a diff tune...for sure...

Cosign.

What really needs to be addressed is the wage stagnation that has been in effect in this country for so long. The Walmart article is spot on as far as describing how low-paying wages affect everybody else's pockets. However, if one suggested that the government raise the minimum wage to reflect the cost of living, a lot of people (from consumers to executives) would be against it because "you can't be cozy organizing shelves for a living." I'm not saying a retail worker should be paid the same as an engineer, but how can you live on 340$/week (that's a full-time job on 8.50$/hr before taxes) today as a single adult?

Doesn't need to be abolished but it needs to be reformed just like other things. Fed minimum wage needs to be increased by a lot, who can really survive off of $7.25/hr? Jobs paying ppl $7.30/hr to say they pay over min wage. Cost of living going up but wages aren't.

In regards to welfare, the system is broken when u got chicks going into the liquor store buying spirits w/ their Access cards.

You realize that's gonna cost a lot of money. If you gonna make them be on birth control, you're gonna have to provide it, for free too.
Plus lets say someone is on welfare for 5 years, get off it, and is successful in supporting themselves and their family for a couple years. Then boom, the economy takes a sharp downturn. Is that person allow to go back on welfare? Or are they outta luck
-And you dudes have to realize that spending on these "lazy" folks is very small compared to say something like defense spending. I'm down to reform the system, but not abolish it, and make sure the people who truly need welfare can get it easily
im not sure about all states but most do provide free birth control.... if you are under a certain age and/or certain income bracket.... and lets face it most of the young adults today fit into both categories..... you can even go to the local public health center and get the depo for free (thing is alot of girls dont want the free depo shots cause they make them gain weight) The other issue is that despite b.c. being free it has specifications associated with it that effect the effieciency of how well it works... ir staying within a certain weight, drinking/smoking and the biggest one young girls seem to cant get down pat is the taking it on a regular regimine.. Often times they miss times or days taking it... and thing oh well ill just double up the next few days.... or its enough in my system that i dont need to take it for awhile.... or it makes me feel funny, i dont feel/have time to pick it up..

Also not all states allow young adults to go to public clinics and get said b.c. anonomous.... and often times feel embarrased to ask their parents about it, and often parents play coy and nieve that their kids are having sex. I think all the few points ppl have listed are true, and its hard to sway which is more often the case... ppl who are pimping the system vs ppl who actually are working hard and need it vs. ppl who are just lazy and its their only means to survive vs. the drug addicts who use it to cop fixes vs. the prostitutes/strippers who use it as a means of i have no income on the books so hell why not.

As far as the whole you have to work in order to recieve tanf/wic/ebt that isnt exactly true... in terms of women anyways. They allow you a certain alotted time before you have to work if you have a kid (thus loophole by continuing to get pregnant) or if you enroll in these so called govt... programs that provide training to put you back into the workforce ( ala a cna course, tax prep, dental assistant, secretary....) which in many instances provide jobs that if worked puts them in a worse postion then they were in by collecting said govt.... benefits. I mean a chick with subsidised rent at 135 a month free electric and water... 500 bucks on a ebt, free dairy/milk etc... not to mention many of the single mom foodbanks that provide and often time deliver free top quality foods... Not to mention maybe a baby daddy or two who might actually pay child support... or maybe the guy who pays under the table, or the chick who does side jobs hustle under the table... Why would they give that up to do a work program that pays them maybe 15 bucks an hour and lose all those benefits.... ?

The rent in which they pay 66.7% would go from like 134 to maybe 800 a month... the free water/electricity is now 200 plus a month... 400 bucks in groceries etc... no free cellphone house phone bill... and many states if you have children provide free high speed internet and can in some states get a low end model pc for free for the home...

So not all ppl but look at it like this... a young girl no skillset, kids, no bills and possible 500-1000 a month in free money, plus what all side money she getting, why would they give that up to make 500-600 a week and have like 1500 or so bucks a month in bills?

Another interesting fact is that 30 something % of the ppl who are on govt assistance homeless etc... are former servicemembers/vets/ or ppl who are in reserved/non active status... I mention this as alot of ppl are saying a good amount of the ppl are lazy sorry etc... dont wanna work.

Welfare needs serious reform. I know way too many kids who get their financial aid refund checks and spend it on stupid things. Heard of too many people who sit on their *** and collect checks because they end up making more than they would if they got a job, which leads to cyclical poverty because they have no chance of moving up and their children don't have what they need nor do they have a good example to look up to.

Welfare needs serious reform. I know way too many kids who get their financial aid refund checks and spend it on stupid things. Heard of too many people who sit on their *** and collect checks because they end up making more than they would if they got a job, which leads to cyclical poverty because they have no chance of moving up and their children don't have what they need nor do they have a good example to look up to.
you know whats crazy.... o saw today atlanta food bank giving out food..... 1,000's pf ppl showed up.... sounds good right. the majority of them were gsu students, and ppl pulling up in CARS!!!!! decent cars no doubt... they were literally shoving and pushing the homeless/street ppl out the way

What a one dimensional perspective you have.....

Last edited:
It did what it was designed for...a temporary crutch to supplement income deprivement.
If you cut welfare, then unemployment assistance be cut also...not a good look.
Truth. The benefits of welfare far outweigh the drawbacks. My grandma was on welfare and all of her children turned out to be productive members of society.Without food stamps and other forms of social help, things would have turned out differently.

The reality is welfare is for the children moreso than the parents. Imagine if welfare was abolished. The states would either have to take in hordes of children, or let them die out on the streets because of something out of their control. You'd have to allow 9 year olds to work.

You may not like the abuses, but welfare is not going anywhere. Sorry duke.
The problem is that there is little/no accountability (depending on your state) to make sure that the money actually goes to the kids. If we are going to give money to someone, something should be required of them to give back in exchange unless they can show they are incapable of doing so or preoccupied raising children (which should be cut off after a certain period of time). Not only should welfare provide a source of income, it should also provide dignity and promote a person bettering their situation.

I worked with a lady who received subsidised housing. She only worked part time because if she made too much, or showed too much in the bank, her government subsidies would be cut off. IMO, that is immoral because she is a slave to her situation. She wanted to better herself, but would be jumping over a proverbial canyon to do so.

On the flip side, I have a family member whose husband died in a car crash and left her with two small kids. After they have both been grown and out of the house, she is still receiving SSI from his death. Why, 30 years later, should we still be paying for her to sit home and smoke all day? At some point (probably when the kids were in school) she should have been required to look for a job or be enrolled in an educational program to gain work skills. Now, she is completely worthless because she has no desirable skills that anyone would want in an employee.

Part of the reason why it is seen as a black thing is because one of the intended purposes of welfare when its provisions were expanded was to change the make up of minority households. During the early 70s to 80s the black household changed from a strong paternal construct to a maternal one.

This was accomplished on two fronts widespread imprisonment of minorities due to the drug trade and the the easy availablility (for lack of better words) of government assistance to minority women. A hidden stipulation for these benefits is that they weren't allowed to keep a black adult male in their home.

chess not checkers

Part of the reason why it is seen as a black thing is because one of the intended purposes of welfare when its provisions were expanded was to change the make up of minority households. During the early 70s to 80s the black household changed from a strong paternal construct to a maternal one.
This was accomplished on two fronts widespread imprisonment of minorities due to the drug trade and the the easy availablility (for lack of better words) of government assistance to minority women. A hidden stipulation for these benefits is that they weren't allowed to keep a black adult male in their home.
chess not checkers

QFE

*Yes I intentionally put it in huge font so y'all would HAVE to see it*

Lots of people playing dumb in this thread.

We all know what types of characters the OP is talking about and yes, they do not deserve anything.

Yes,we all know of someone who has or seems like their taking advantage of the welfare system.But than again what exactly is getting over on a system that is setup to continuely take from the poor and keep them trapped in that ever involving cycle?.That's the question that some of you need to answer because from the outside looking in things may appear to look a certain way but they aren't what they appear to be.
Like,for instance the majority of Americans are poor(you and me)and yes there are different degrees of being poor,which we are catorgrized in;the poor I'm homeless,poor,the welfare,ssi,section 8 poor,the working poor who takes on the burden of most of our taxes but we also have to remember that this group also does the majority of the spending and we weigh how good or bad our economy is doing based off of their spending habits,which is another subject within itself.

The Original Poster used the 1980's term "Welfare Queen" which we now know was a over exaggerated story used as an example of what was so-called wrong with America, and of course used during election time for political reasons.After it was all said and done,Reagan won and who was the first group to feel the wrath of his agenda?the poor,of all people the working poor.Major industries folded, Business's down-sized,a high percentage of poor working people were laid off and all that did was give rise to a higher crime rate and now what we know as the crack epidemic.

Whats sad is that we have Americans that get caught up into the us vs them mentality too much,which is driven by many different factors,with only one adgenda and thats to keep the majority of the peoples minds occupied while the wealthy spend their time trying to figure out how to keep,grow,get taxed less when it comes to their wealth.A poor person being mad at another poor person,makes no sense when your both poor and I know that some might say that atleast their trying to make something of themselves by getting a college degree or whatever the case maybe but if you don't make over a certain amount of money a year,you'er still poor and even if,let's say you made a little over one- hundred thousand dollars a year,your now middle class status.But as we know most would still be poor,why? because for one the more money you make,the more money your likely to spend and with most Americans spending habits,they would owe money on the majority of their possessions,leaving them in the red for years to come.

You just have to see it for what it really is,continue thriving and living life.

chess not checkers
lol funny i mentioned this in another thread.... im suprised no one didnt scream out race card etc... or the infamous that was so so so long ago what does that have to do with now, or the i didnt make it this way comment. The ole "claudine" trick of the 60's/70's

"To the people who are upset about their hard-earned tax money going to things they don't like. Welcome to the ****ing club" 
- Jon Stewart

Exactly. I have no choice in the Obama administration using my tax money to bomb Pakistani and Yemeni children, so why would I complain about welfare?

chess not checkers
If this is true, how come that group are strong supporters of keeping current benefits in tact? If the minority households are being negatively affected by these programs, shouldn't they be the ones advocating to change them to build stronger homes?

Foolishness and ignorance OP.

You only want welfare to end because you think some stereotypical ******* is benefiting from your work?

What about companies that only profit from collecting corporate welfare?

You not complaining about them.

Just admit it. The undertones of your argument are harsh, racial and have nothing to do with economics.

If you really want to know, that these people you complaingin about being lazy are receiving are droplets in a very big bucket compared to what these millionaires and billionaires are receiving.

I hate the fact that rich people have so many poor cheerleaders.

You think you taxes from your 60k a year job are doing anything?

Most of the money made from taxes on the public goes to pay interest. Not some baby momma in the hood.

Get off that Koch Bros. rhetoric and learn to decipher facts for yourself and you will see where all the waste truly is.

If this is true, how come that group are strong supporters of keeping current benefits in tact? If the minority households are being negatively affected by these programs, shouldn't they be the ones advocating to change them to build stronger homes?

You are forgetting the bubble that these people live in.

Outside of living in a food desert, they also live in an information desert as well.

If you've ever lived or been raised in the hood, your immediate surroundings are all that matter and influence your daily life.

People on tv talking about fiscal policy might as well be on Mars because the way the hood looks compared to the plush rooms and tv sets these people are commenting from psychologically seem like a world away.

because of two reasons... one not all or even a majority of the minorities support current conditions, and two most of the ppl who are so adament about keeping the system currently intact are oblivious and ignorant to the fact that it is negative at all. Its like a woman who promotes this whole im "independent" etc... mindset...why would she advocate or promote the importance or need of fathers/father figures in the household if she doesnt see/recognize the negative effects or the positives influences of having a father/father figure in the home?

Back
Top Bottom