Action Bronson - Only For Dolphins

Just had my first playthrough of Blue Chips 7000, wasn't impressed. I can officially say Bronson is on the decline :smh:
A few solid tracks tho

Huge disappointment. It feels like he transgressed to 2012. Barely any hooks and pretty much zero songs that sound like full songs. It's like a freestyle tape. Not a fan of the samples he chose. It's smooth but we needed something way bigger especially after over two years off. Blue Chips 2 and 1 went way harder than this. Rolling Thunder and 9.24.13 better than this whole album. Also, he's getting mad repetitive with his references, how many times has he been butt naked in a whip or having a Mexican kill you or insert here something with a ******. Dude has zero evolution has an artist. Damn I really had high hopes why you do us like this Bam Bam :frown:

Personally I tempered my expectations, especially with all the other stuff he has going for him. Wasn't expecting a masterpiece. I loved the samples. Some funny references here and there but definitely some repetitive ones as mentioned. Not his best work. Good for an occasional quick play through.

Last edited:
Yeah this album is definitely lackluster. Though for some reason The Choreographer knocks for me :lol:

Bro that choreographer track is my favorite. :pimp:

I didn't have high expectation on this either. As you can see on the Hot97 interview he was juggling a lot this past year. I'm definitely copping that book. Looks like it's full of crazy stories and some good recipes.

Just had my first playthrough of Blue Chips 7000, wasn't impressed. I can officially say Bronson is on the decline :smh:
A few solid tracks tho

Huge disappointment. It feels like he transgressed to 2012. Barely any hooks and pretty much zero songs that sound like full songs. It's like a freestyle tape. Not a fan of the samples he chose. It's smooth but we needed something way bigger especially after over two years off. Blue Chips 2 and 1 went way harder than this. Rolling Thunder and 9.24.13 better than this whole album. Also, he's getting mad repetitive with his references, how many times has he been butt naked in a whip or having a Mexican kill you or insert here something with a ******. Dude has zero evolution has an artist. Damn I really had high hopes why you do us like this Bam Bam :frown:

I always expect turncoats whenever an album drops, but I am a little surprised that it's happening in here. This is a solid album, you guys need to let this album marinate. I usually disregard anyone's opinion when an album hasn't been available for more than 24 hours.

I had a second listen playthrough and stand by my statement. This album isn't hitting me immediately the way BC1, BC2, and Rare Chandeliers did.

TANK is the best track on the album IMO.

All the opinions I'm hearing about this tape are all over the place. The thing I heard most was this wasn't in the same vein as the last two without only PS production.

I still haven't given it a full play through, but since the album I feel like his music has been on a decline because he's focusing his attention on other passions, which I respect. The first single didn't really hook me.

I haven't listened to Bronson in awhile, but I forgot out good Saab Stories and Rare Chandeliers were after spinning a handful of songs.

Just gave the whole album a listen and I wrote some very brief notes about each track. Forgive me if they're lacking, I've been drinking a bit:

TANK-Good track. Body's funniest appearance on the album.
Let Me Breathe- Trash.
9-24-7000-Spoke on this one already. Not a bad track, but definitely a letdown when all things are considered.
Chop Chop Chop-Decent. Hard to tell if this track will grow on me or fade into Bolivian. The beat is its saving grace.
Hot Pepper- Mayhem saved this one for me. Dude is very underrated in my book. Otherwise this track is unremarkable other than Bronson's line about Body being mistaken for Bruce Willis in Morocco :rofl:.
The Choreographer-Nah.
Let It Rain-Okay.
La Luna-My favorite track on the album. Love the lo-fi aspect of the first half on the track. One of Bronson's most lyrically ambitious tracks on the album.
Wolfpack-Good.
Bonzai-Very good. Second favorite track on the album.
My Right Lung-Good.
Chairman's Intent-Good.
DuRag vs. Headband-Trash.

Overall, Blue Chips 7000 is better than Mr. Wonderful by a pretty decent margin, but it's a very distant 3rd in the Blue Chips series. Still lamenting that it wasn't a Party Supplies exclusive, but this could have turned out much worse than it did. There are still glimmers of hope that Bronson still has it.

Suggestions for future projects: more Mayhem, more Body, more Party Supplies.

Last edited:
Definitely has that Blue Chips sound in album format. Favorite song on the first listen is Bonzai.

Going to have to give it more listens before I say it's better than Blue Chips 2 or Mr. Wonderful, but not a bad album.

I actually like this project and think it fits in the BC series well. So maybe for me I was expecting what we got which is a project full of non-traditionally structured songs over random samples.

I do understand the criticism regarding Bronson's evolution and lack of hook etc. However I do think this is a much more enjoyable listen than Mr. Wonderful.

Best thing about the album is the production. After more listens, I want to say this is just a throwaway release. There's no true standout tracks like Actin' Crazy, Easy Rider, or A Light in the Addict. Probably my least favorite Bronson release.

Either he gets inspired again or leave the major he's signed to immediately.

"Turncoats" :lol:

I'm from Flushing my guy, lived across the street from Bronson's projects as a kid, I will support this man in everything he does simply based off that. Doesn't mean he's immune from criticism.
All that being said, the album is slowly growing on me. Still not in the same league as the other 2 Blue Chips, but it's better than I originally thought. Still a bit disappointed but it is what it is.

I just listened to it again and my opinion did a complete 180 lol. I guess I was just expecting something different but now I can appreciate what it is. On 2nd listen I like it a lot. Love the production, bars are really solid, hilarious references, features came correct.

My stand out tracks: The Choreographer, Chop Chop Chop, Tank and 9-24-7000.

Still not as good as Saab Stories, Blue Chips 1&2 or Rare Chandeliers to me but definitely better than Mr. Wonderful and a solid project.

My biggest criticsm is ending with du rag vs. headband is super anti-climatic. He dropped that track a year ago and it wasn't that great to begin with. He did the same thing dropping the outro easy rider a year before Mr. Wonderful came out but that track was epic.

Must've played through it like 6 times this weekend. Not that I didn't like it after the 1st play but I'm fully on board now. Rare Chandeliers and BC2 are still at the top of the heap (imo) but this is a solid body of work. Production is fire. Meyhem and Body delivered. Ross kinda played it safe.

Back
Top Bottom