adidas Continues to Dominate the Market Vol. nike hold this kevin hart

Adidas been killing Nike the last 2 years in style. Nike bball still been good but damn all I see on IG is the boost and slim tapered Jean or sweats combo.

For **** sake, Nike needs to get rid of the ugly uncomfortable squishy soles they been riding for the last 7 years.

View media item 2369572
These and the god damn lunarlon lunarglide lunar-anything are awful. Can't run in them for more than a couple uses and they're ugly as sin. They're latest designs look exactly like adidas tubulars. It's bad.

@Azul Rolex  
nerd.gif

[QUOTE url="[URL]https://hypebeast.com/tags/adidas[/URL]"]
 This year, Nike and adidas have been “virtually equal” in sales globally, except for in the US, where Nike earned $14.7 billion USD in sales for this past fiscal year, outstripping adidas’s $3.6 billion USD sales. 

/ thread ? do we need to go on?
[/quote]

Even with this, the way people talk about Adidas #OnHere you'd think they were behind Fila and Spalding :lol:

Adidas been killing Nike the last 2 years in style. Nike bball still been good but damn all I see on IG is the boost and slim tapered Jean or sweats combo.
Think I heard somewhere that adidas actually has IG "influencers" on payroll for social media exposure while Nike doesn't because they know their stuff will get exposure either way.

This year, Nike and adidas have been “virtually equal” in sales globally, except for in the US, where Nike earned $14.7 billion USD in sales for this past fiscal year, outstripping adidas’s $3.6 billion USD sales. 

[/quote]

so basically Nike caught up with Adidas globally? thats bad news for da 3 stripes.

so basically Nike caught up with Adidas globally? thats bad news for da 3 stripes.[/quote]

:lol: nah kid. Adidas is catching up with Nike. I know you can't read or do math well but this good news for 3 stripes, bad news for Nike.

Nike Expected To Log First Earnings Decline In Over 4 Years

ELAINE LOW
3/20/2017

FacebookLinkedInPrintTwitterShare
Reprints

Nike (NKE) reports third-quarter results late Tuesday, and the dominant global athletic brand is expected to record its first year-over-year earnings decline since late 2012 as rivalries heat up and retail slows down.

The Street is looking for a 4% year-over-year decline in profit to 53 cents a share and 5% revenue growth to $8.47 billion for the Dow Jones industrial average component.

The bankruptcies of Sports Authority and other sporting goods retailers made their mark on athletic brands last year. The broader brick-and-mortar retail environment continues to adjust to a digital-heavy shopping landscape, though many brands — including Nike — are working on building out stronger direct-to-consumer channels that can circumvent any storefront softness.

Now at the forefront of some investor minds is Adidas' (ADDYY) comeback-kid performance after a sluggish period in the U.S. Nike's still No. 1, both globally and at home, but Adidas is looking to recapture share in the key American market.

"We believe NKE management continues to grapple with the greater than expected pace and magnitude of Adidas' resurgence — particularly domestically," wrote Piper Jaffray analyst Erinn Murphy last week. She sees Nike shares remaining "range bound over the next year as the durability of Adidas' resurgence becomes clearer." Murphy has a neutral rating and 51 price target on the stock.
Are you getting the most out of IBD? Our Getting Started Guide can help!

Nike's stock was one of the only decliners on the Dow Jones industrial average last year, though shares are up about 14% so far in 2017. By contrast, Adidas shares rocketed 62% last year.

Nike shares rose 1.7% to 58.77 on the stock market today. Adidas fell 1.2% to 97.30. Smaller rival Under Armour (UAA) rose 1% to 19.58.

Adidas doubled its athletic footwear market share in the U.S. in January to 10%, according to NPD Group data, but that is still a far cry from Nike's 45% share. Under Armour, which has since lost the No. 2 spot back to Adidas in the U.S., had a 2% market share that month.

IBD'S TAKE: Under Armour's rising hip-kid image took a major hit last month after CEO Kevin Plank made comments on CNBC that were perceived as being pro-Trump. He's since walked back on those comments and come out against the travel ban, but some say the damage has already been done.

"Conceptually, Under Armour is less of a threat (year over year), particularly in basketball, and Adidas, while still strong, hasn't increased its rate of U.S. share gain," wrote Morgan Stanley's Jay Sole, who has an equal-weight rating and 56 price goal on Nike.

Susquehanna analyst Sam Poser, who has a positive rating and 64 price target on the stock, said the Swoosh "remains on its A-game" and any concerns about Adidas weighing on Nike's growth is "misplaced."

"The bigger threat from Adidas, in our view, should be to performance based brands, such as Under Armour, that just don't resonate in lifestyle to nearly the same degree," wrote Poser.

Meanwhile, athletic gear retailer Finish Line (FINL), which reports early Friday, is seen logging a 16% EPS drop to 70 cents a share, on a 6% sales decline to $545.9 million.

Retailer earnings can offer a glimpse into brand demand. Foot Locker (FL) reported strong demand for Nike footwear and some Adidas shoes when the sporting goods chain disclosed holiday-quarter results last month, but notably did not mention Under Armour.

One last thing: those Nike-specific "futures orders" — i.e. the metric that tracks products scheduled for delivery to retailers — will still be closely tracked, though management as of last quarter has begun disclosing that figure during the earnings call instead of in its initial press release.

Nike CFO Andy Campion said last fall that the metric isn't as directly correlative to its revenue anymore as its business mix changes, an indication that its direct-to-consumer business is picking up steam.

http://www.investors.com/news/nike-expected-to-log-first-earnings-decline-in-over-4-years/

^Good video at the link.

Last edited:
adidas is an internet rapper, you hear about how big it is online but you dont actually see it in the streets

Last edited:
Nike flooded the market and made too many retros raised the price pretty much in 2015
That was the start of the younger generation of sneakers collectors leaving Nike/Jordan going to Adidas

The other mistake Nike did and I think the biggest is not giving or letting Kanye do his thing

But besides all that can someone really tell me what's the big deal with adidas

My guess people are tired of the same old same retros Jordan/Nike shoes Nike still tries to peddle year after year
Yeah the limited shoes still bring the people out but next week there is something more limited coming out and people don't remember the week before limited release

Me personally in years past when I would buy 50 60 plus shoes a year now had dropped to a total of less then 40 Jordans in 2016

I don't even bother with foams anymore since their was so much crap coming out every month.
Now I don't even care for foamposites unless I could get them cheap

Don't get me wrong there was a number of great Jordans last year but as it was Nike definitely dropped the ball when thinking they were invincible

Good thing now if your into Jordans unless it's a retro 1 or 11 and anything limited or hyped it's easier then ever to buy retros

Last edited:
Nike flooded the market and made too many retros raised the price pretty much in 2015
That was the start of the younger generation of sneakers collectors leaving Nike/Jordan going to Adidas

The other mistake Nike did and I think the biggest is not giving or letting Kanye do his thing

But besides all that can someone really tell me what's the big deal with adidas

My guess people are tired of the same old same retros Jordan/Nike shoes Nike still tries to peddle year after year
Yeah the limited shoes still bring the people out but next week there is something more limited coming out and people don't remember the week before limited release

Me personally in years past when I would buy 50 60 plus shoes a year now had dropped to a total of less then 40 Jordans in 2016

I don't even bother with foams anymore since their was so much crap coming out every month.
Now I don't even care for foamposites unless I could get them cheap

Don't get me wrong there was a number of great Jordans last year but as it was Nike definitely dropped the ball when thinking they were invincible
THIS.

Shouldve just let Kanye cook. The price hike and releasing too many unwanted pairs definitely watered them down. Perfect example with foams.

Being a hypebeast was frowned upon, now it's like the in thing to do. Cop everything Supreme and boost and post on social media. 
laugh.gif

all that article did is confirm da fact that UA nose dived and brick & mortar bout to be old news.

like i said before, Nike can shut da taps and increase hype on demand.

Nike also has da superior online infrastructure.

QFT.

nike will bounce back. all it takes is one shoe to shift the market. sadly, i think nike might be putting all their eggs in the vapormax.

I don't think this vapormax nonsense is going to be the one to do it Nike just has to slow down let people by what they want and stop peddling so many shoes stop trying sell shoes to retailers that can't handle so many releases at once

Don't forget where not nike's customers unless we buy direct them from them

Nike real customers are retail stores and if future orders drop so does nike's stock.

This could all have been avoided by just keeping kanye

Last edited:
If you think Nike won't learn from this than you are jaded

That ZoomX technology will be the goods and is their answer to Boost

all that article did is confirm da fact that UA nose dived and brick & mortar bout to be old news.

im surprised that NIKE+ and SNKRS apps are still US only.

they need to change that ASAP.

Ok :lol:

Man you are dense. In your last post you said Nike was catching up with Adidas globally. You can't read. It's the opposite. Nike is losing market share to Adidas DOMESTICALLY, while remaining equal globally. Nike is still winning the race, and probably won't lose. But the domestic resurgence of Adidas is undeniable. The company should be pleased with it's performance lately, while Nike is the one that needs to reconsider their strategies.

Please re-read.

Now at the forefront of some investor minds is Adidas' (ADDYY) comeback-kid performance after a sluggish period in the U.S. Nike's still No. 1, both globally and at home, but Adidas is looking to recapture share in the key American market.

"We believe NKE management continues to grapple with the greater than expected pace and magnitude of Adidas' resurgence — particularly domestically," wrote Piper Jaffray analyst Erinn Murphy last week. She sees Nike shares remaining "range bound over the next year as the durability of Adidas' resurgence becomes clearer." Murphy has a neutral rating and 51 price target on the stock.

Nike's stock was one of the only decliners on the Dow Jones industrial average last year, though shares are up about 14% so far in 2017. By contrast, Adidas shares rocketed 62% last year.

Adidas doubled its athletic footwear market share in the U.S. in January to 10%, according to NPD Group data, but that is still a far cry from Nike's 45% share. Under Armour, which has since lost the No. 2 spot back to Adidas in the U.S., had a 2% market share that month.

IBD'S TAKE: Under Armour's rising hip-kid image took a major hit last month after CEO Kevin Plank made comments on CNBC that were perceived as being pro-Trump. He's since walked back on those comments and come out against the travel ban, but some say the damage has already been done.

"The bigger threat from Adidas, in our view, should be to performance based brands, such as Under Armour, that just don't resonate in lifestyle to nearly the same degree," wrote Poser.

Nike still #1. But Adidas is gaining market share in the US. We'll see what happens.

Last edited:
QFT.

nike will bounce back. all it takes is one shoe to shift the market. sadly, i think nike might be putting all their eggs in the vapormax.

I don't think this vapormax nonsense is going to be the one to do it Nike just has to slow down let people by what they want and stop peddling so many shoes stop trying sell shoes to retailers that can't handle so many releases at once

Don't forg
That's what they mentioned in their earnings call yesterday. Their DTC business is one of their main focus areas moving forward, and really has been for a couple years now.

Fact is, Adidas has quite a ways to catch-up when it comes to actual sales dollars. That's tough to do when you have to balance flooding the market to generate sales and yet still stay cool. Even UA's CEO has mentioned they're going through similar problems.

Last edited:
Nike still #1. But Adidas is gaining market share in the US. We'll see what happens.

adidas is only gaining what Under Armour losing though.

Adidas used to dominate internationally, now Nike tied them... congrats on them being number 2 Domestic wise...it only took Reebok to become a zombie & UA to perform in craptactular fashion to achieve it :lol:

Last edited:

adidas is only gaining what Under Armour losing though.

Adidas used to dominate internationally, now Nike tied them... congrats on them being number 2 Domestic wise...it only took Reebok to become a zombie & UA to perform in craptactular fashion to achieve it :lol:

So why didn't Nike pick up that market share Reebok and Under Armour lost? Because Adidas beat them to it. Right?

In relative terms to the size of the companies, respectively, Adidas is executing better right now. They are doing more with less.

I think the gap is way too big to close though. Nike will always be #1.

Last edited:
Ultra Boosts and NMD's are now starting to sit with the market being flooded, gotta wonder how the IG'ers feel about that considering they won't feel exclusive anymore if those shoes are readily available at your local FInishline and Footlocker

it's just like Jordan 1 OG's and Flyknit Racers, once the market caught up with the demand, the hypebeast crowd moved on to the next thing

UA just agreed to sell shoes at Kohls and DSW so their image is about to go down a bit. I know Nike and Adidas sells their stuff there too but those guys are big enough names to endure it and they know they make better quality items. With UA, it looks like a demotion. Doesn't help that their attempt at the athleisure market crashed and burned.

Back
Top Bottom