Advice Advice Advice....... Life Decisions: Vol. Working from home

So I usually keep my post short but here is the situation NT:
I currently live in Nashville and dont care for the city. Options were to get a new job or work remotely. I recently spoke with my employer about doing the latter out of state and they are cool with it. Told me not to look for a new job (because I'm nice with the comp sci skills) but to decide where I want to go and we'll take it from there. I doubt I can get a huge salary adjustment, if any, for COL in the area I choose to go to. So now I need to decide if I want to do it and if so where I want to go. I've never known anyone to work FULL TIME from the crib. I know it would be a huge lifestyle change, but I think it could be really dope and as beneficial as I make it.

Things that factor in:

1. I'm 25 and went to high school and college in NC.

2. career is in software. I write those beloved smartphone applications right now.

3. when its time to move i should be making in the range of 75-85k.

4. I would like to be in a fun/ nice area but this place also have some major employers around JUST in case

So NT have/ do any of you work from home, and if so how was it? If this was your situation where would you want to live? I appreciate any useful comments.

wat part of nashville u in OP?
Spoiler [+]
insert nas ski mask gif

Spoiler [+]
nah, for real... i work at home on occasion... pm me if u have any questions

Originally Posted by denni5themenace

you're in the tech industry? move to San Fran
Southern Cali is definitely my first choice for the obvious job and fun reasons but idk if my paper is long enough to live there on a Nashville salary (even if its possibly slightly increased) . I am sure I could survive, and not that I want to ball out, but I would like to have fun comfortably.

Originally Posted by moundraised23

Spoiler [+]
insert nas ski mask gif

Spoiler [+]

Im live in southeast nashville, and work in Franklin.

and I too now work from home occasiaonly but I'm sure this is different from a full time 40hr a week deal. Now when I work home its more slackin than productivity. I assume when this becomes the norm it will get boring and motivation/productivity will increase.......right.....?
grin.gif

I have nothing to add to this matter. I just wanna say dude's SN is freaking perfect!

Been working with my current job for 5yrs and back in 07 i started telecommuting Usually do 3 from home , two in the office. There are lots of pros for and and a few cons. The cons being the interaction with other people and coworkers. Believe it or not you will miss that. Sometimes asking a simple question or talking to someone helps you figure things out at work. You can slack off a bit on your work from home because the home environment can be relaxing ,laid back and you have more distractions at home. And after working home for a while you will get cabin fever and will just want to get out. But you already know the pros. Like starting at 8 and waking up at 7:59, saving gas, and being already home once your shift is over 
pimp.gif
 That definitely helps when you gotta go somewhere and your already at home, dressed and once the shift ends you just log off and bounce. If I were in your position I would look for somewhere where I can live comfortably and still have $ to have fun. Being from Socal I love it here and couldn't see myself leaving so I would recommend it here.

Wow finally a thread where I can help..

I know 2 people that are in the computer science field..

1. Just graduated, works in Irvine, CA (40 miles from Downtown Los Angeles, every big company has a headquarter there) as a developer and makes about 70K a year. He bought a condo and lives VERY comfortably. Irvine rent is expensive but definitely affordable if you're making 60K+. Irvine is nice because you're in one of the safest cities in the ENTIRE U.S. and you're only a 45 minute drive from downtown which is poppin.

2. Just graduated as well, works from home. His company is based in New York and everyday he has to get to his computer by 8am. He literally rolls out of bed, brushes his teeth and gets to work. The only catch is he HAS to keep his webcam on for 8hrs everyday. He makes 70K+ a year as well and lives about 20 minutes from downtown Los Angeles as well.

I would recommend Southern California because there are more jobs & most importantly rent is WAY CHEAPER in socal than in Northern California (San Francisco)

Hopes this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

Originally Posted by ORSRT8

Originally Posted by Azndood21

Good information fellas! I really appreciate it. I already looked at apts online to see what was up but realized I the amount of research needed to get what I want is crazy when you have to do it all online. My first pick is So Cal and to see light at the end of that tunnel feels just like that moment you notice your game workin on a new chic!

Yea I figured the cabin fever effect could be a big deal thats why I said live comfortably enough to still get it in on the weekends. As far as missing the office i'm sure I will at some point but I dont hang with my coworkers that often as it is so considering that and knowing my personalty I really think I would be fine. I have to admit though I do procrastinate at times but when its crunch time swear i'm always MJ in the 4th.
Yo that webcam mess is CCRRAZZYYY. I've never heard of that, i know that would bother me at least if not drive me crazy like im Jim Carry in The Truman Show. 
How much is a nice 1br in Irvine? What are some other places in the so cal that are not far from downtown and coast but dont have that low key suburb feel and price?

i was part of a contract where i could work from home. was good when snow storms came. but too much of it was boring. youre at home, and when youre done at 5 or whatever...youre still at home. depends on your social life though. you dont get to be in traffic with the rest of the drones too. but staying home too much was getting to me so i actually went to work on purpose a lot of times to hang with the guys. but its great though. i would take naps and play the guitar all the time. productivity level was exponentially lower though, but it all depends on you.

so i would be insane to ignore the sign of everyone basically saying in the end you want to go back at work because you are lonely..... how long was it before you guys hit this point? why couldn't you get out and do social things?

Originally Posted by 011010kash01011

Originally Posted by denni5themenace

you're in the tech industry? move to San Fran
Southern Cali is definitely my first choice for the obvious job and fun reasons but idk if my paper is long enough to live there on a Nashville salary (even if its possibly slightly increased) . I am sure I could survive, and not that I want to ball out, but I would like to have fun comfortably.

Spoiler [+]
insert nas ski mask gif

Spoiler [+]

Im live in southeast nashville, and work in Franklin.

and I too now work from home occasiaonly but I'm sure this is different from a full time 40hr a week deal. Now when I work home its more slackin than productivity. I assume when this becomes the norm it will get boring and motivation/productivity will increase.......right.....?
grin.gif
antioch?
maaaaan its really a tough call.... i dig it cuz i have a one yr old., so we kicks it 
laugh.gif

if u do all your work early, u get the rest of day 2 chill....

get tired? take a cat nap... bathroom? no prob....lunch? no prob....gas money? heck yea....blaze up? why not....have a drank? don't mind if i do....mid day shower? zest fully clean all MF day

it WILL get boring...we have a camera as well, but they hardly ever ask 2 cut it on ....if i get cabin fever, i just step outside 

they tell you 2 act like u still in a office setting, its really all about your self discipline... 

in between Antioch and Brentwood, where Old Hickory and Edmonson meet (near Nippers Corner if you know that). yea thats a good look if you got a seed to watch, no day care bills FTW.
but yea thats how I feel, if I get bored at the crib I'll just get on my cool kid tip and work from some public establishment with wifi (Starbucks still the default for this?). I wont have to deal with the camera stuff though, at most they will expect me to be on gtalk when Im working. im on the fence about the discipline though. I have enough that I never completely drop the ball but I def procrastinate and sometimes can give a lil more effort. The fact that our office work environment is already chill is a good transition point though; dont have to be in the office til 10, technically only have to be in the office for roughly 4 hrs, small video game/ Google TV lounge area, dual tap kegerator to enjoy after 4, etc.

gettin acclimated socially will be hard but like I said I dont chill with coworkers that often now so I pretty much had to do the same thing here. and I figure LA being a much bigger and diverse place this will be easier here. What spots do you hit when you get bored and go to work in public?

Originally Posted by 011010kash01011

Originally Posted by ORSRT8

Originally Posted by Azndood21

Good information fellas! I really appreciate it. I already looked at apts online to see what was up but realized I the amount of research needed to get what I want is crazy when you have to do it all online. My first pick is So Cal and to see light at the end of that tunnel feels just like that moment you notice your game workin on a new chic!

Yea I figured the cabin fever effect could be a big deal thats why I said live comfortably enough to still get it in on the weekends. As far as missing the office i'm sure I will at some point but I dont hang with my coworkers that often as it is so considering that and knowing my personalty I really think I would be fine. I have to admit though I do procrastinate at times but when its crunch time swear i'm always MJ in the 4th.
Yo that webcam mess is CCRRAZZYYY. I've never heard of that, i know that would bother me at least if not drive me crazy like im Jim Carry in The Truman Show. 
How much is a nice 1br in Irvine? What are some other places in the so cal that are not far from downtown and coast but dont have that low key suburb feel and price?

A nice 1br in Irvine is somewhere between $1,000-$1,500 depending on how baller you want to get. (I only suggest this place is you're going to work either in Irvine or around it)

As far as the webcam thing the guy doesn't even mind it. His coworkers usually have it on as well so when they need to talk to each other they just msg "hey, cam" and they start talking haha.

Make sure you work in another room besides your bedroom. Make a home office if you can or a setup in the living room.

I would make lunch at home and go eat at the park sometimes for a change of scenery.

Not having to put on clothes for work can mess your head up seriously lol. Changing clothes can put you in different moods of ready to be constructive, or staying on chill mode.

Back
Top Bottom