Advice for your 30s and beyond

Stay active.
Eat well.

Make moves that will benefit you in the long run and stop chasing instant gratification.

Listen more. One thing i’ve learned is you can learn something from every single person you meet. Either good or bad you can learn from them and better your life.

Get a mentor who you can trust to give you sound advice.

Don’t tap in to anger or any negative emotions. I think terrible advice young people are told is that they have to let their anger out. I disagree I think you shouldn’t act on it. Take your frustrations and break them down with logic and not emotion. Once you tap In to those negative feelings you will go back to them the next time something happens.

Imma tell y’all something man....don’t change nuthin. For real, get bread, get a girl that’s down but really don’t change nuthin. I’m 38, and sipping gin outa red cup right now. I ain’t changed since 15, just a lot more money to get everything I wanted in 1995 and more. I’m just buying more Jordan’s and random shoes nowadays that I can’t even wear because of work.

Also move to NYC, you can get money here, it costs bread to live, but the money is nuts.

Imma tell y’all something man....don’t change nuthin. For real, get bread, get a girl that’s down but really don’t change nuthin. I’m 38, and sipping gin outa red cup right now. I ain’t changed since 15, just a lot more money to get everything I wanted in 1995 and more. I’m just buying more Jordan’s and random shoes nowadays that I can’t even wear because of work.

Also move to NYC, you can get money here, it costs bread to live, but the money is nuts.

Also, please don't view your sick days at work for just when your body is run down with a cold, flu, etc. Those sick days should 10000000% be used for your own well-being, or mental health. You accrued/earned those days, use them when you need to recharge upstairs. Trust me.

Truth.

There are some days where i wake up able bodied to work, but then i stop and say you know what? **** it, im taking the day off for a me day and i can say it really gives my mind a positive reset.

Theres a newer law that passed in wa state to where if you have time to cover your days off, the employer cant use any disciplinary action towards you.

And best believe ive been doing just that :lol:

For the 30yo+ brethren here, did you ever feel pressure / societal expectation to settle down, etc.?

For the 30yo+ brethren here, did you ever feel pressure / societal expectation to settle down, etc.?

Social/family pressures to do tons of things at this age. Settling down, buying a home, keeping up with the Jones’, etc.

Tbh find your own happiness and screw the rest. Don’t downplay your own happiness and what you want just so others can perceive it for you. In the age of social media this is rough especially with material goods. I try to find the things that would truly bring me joy but I struggle with it at times also. Human nature to feel the jealousy/envy but realistically you’re only seeing the highlights of your peers lives and not the the struggle/negatives.

Social/family pressures to do tons of things at this age. Settling down, buying a home, keeping up with the Jones’, etc.

Tbh find your own happiness and screw the rest. Don’t downplay your own happiness and what you want just so others can perceive it for you. In the age of social media this is rough especially with material goods. I try to find the things that would truly bring me joy but I struggle with it at times also. Human nature to feel the jealousy/envy but realistically you’re only seeing the highlights of your peers lives and not the the struggle/negatives.

This part! When I was 36, I said Id never buy another home and just rent because I didn't want the responsibility anymore. Now, Im 42 and guess what Im getting ready to do??

1. Run your own race. I'm probably one of the only dudes at my law firm that is married and doesn't have kids. Wife and I are living our best life but we hear people asking when we are going to have kids like kids are Pokémon that you need to collect them all.

2. Be a person of your word. You word and your integrity is all you have in this world so don't waste it.

3. Be kind and generous whenever possible. Kindness and generosity will help you stand out not just from a career perspective but people will really help you out of you are a genuinely nice person.

4. Value the family, friends and relationships that you currently have. Life is too short and you don't want to take them for granted.

Acquire currency, more importantly make moves that will set you up to make more currency later in life. Most people don't peak professionally until late 40's early 50's.....I have seen several friends chase quick dollars in high paying fields only to get burnt out.

"Life about who make it, not who make it the fastest"

Also, please don't view your sick days at work for just when your body is run down with a cold, flu, etc. Those sick days should 10000000% be used for your own well-being, or mental health. You accrued/earned those days, use them when you need to recharge upstairs. Trust me.

Amount of vacation, sick days and other PTO is very important when looking for a job. I didn't settle for anything less than 10 weeks. I hate people and need time to recharge after dealing with them.

1. Don't walk headfirst into poverty just because your friends and family did.
2. Travel at your own pace. The only person to compare yourself to is who you were yesterday.
3. Give. Give. Give. Your time, your energy, your attention, your money. It'll all come back.
4. Learn to monotask. Learn to focus on one thing at a time and give it your full attention. Don't live your life on autopilot.
5. You're probably addicted to your phone. Try and break that addiction. Put your phone away when you're with your friends and family.
6. Have fun. Do things you like. You have 24 hours a day. How much of that time is spent doing things you like as opposed to things you have to do?
7. Try and learn something new every so often. Only you know how your brain works, so stimulate it.
8. Get eight hours of sleep each night.
9. Exercise often. Eat more fruits and vegetables, and less meat.
10. It's okay to be wrong and change your opinions and beliefs. The man who thinks the same way at 20, 25, and 30 hasn't grown.
11. Get a therapist. If you're honest with yourself, and put in the work, I can almost guarantee in a year you will be better for it.

Don't forget to love yourself.

Back
Top Bottom