Aesthetic résumés? Vol. Yay or Nay?

This last one the Dana deftrick is how I want my recent one to look. I work in finance but my resume be looking weak compared to others.

I need it to stand out but not be flashy and ****.

This is the only resume posted which I thought was acceptable. But to an extent. Really depends where you're applying to. Most, if not all the resumes posted above have far too much "white space". Not so pleasing to look at.

View media item 2437571

Last edited:
Mine looks something like that:

c4c66609_ScreenShot2017-05-16at7.02.42PM.png

Clean, easily read, and you can fill it with more info since there's no fluff

Mine is pretty graphic like the ones near the bottom, but I'm in creative. The only thing that really matters is the experience though. If you have reputable schools and reputable job experience you can get away with more. If the content is wack a pretty layout won't help you.

It all depends on the field you are applying for.
I'm in banking, and mine looks similar to the first one posted.
Resumes are used to backup your experience.
Cover letters can get you really far when applying for jobs and are what some employeers tend to look at first

Last edited:
It all depends on the field you are applying for.
I'm in banking, and mine looks similar to the first one posted.
Resumes are used to backup your experience.
Cover letters can get you really far when applying for jobs and are what some employeers tend to look at first
Pretty much all of this.

I work in finance, and I consider the first one perfect with the exception of not enough white space. The splash of color examples - specifically the first one I have seen done well. I have friends who work as software engineers and they look like variations of that example.

I look at all the resumes after that as too busy regardless of job, but that's just me. Less is more. 

In reference to cover letters, I have received candor from some of my hiring managers and they have mostly said they ignore cover letters. Cover Letters are like praying, you don't know if anyones listening, but it can't hurt.

Last edited:
A few tips, don't just list the things you did throughout the job.

Include action and the results. Use numbers as well

Example: off the top of my head
Waiter
•served 40+ customers on a daily basis, successfully promoting "restaurant name" customer oriented image

I've never found these to be appropriate with the exception of a job that is in design.

The content > The looks.

You're legit wasting space on formatting which could be used to add substance

Last edited:
A few tips, don't just list the things you did throughout the job.

Include action and the results. Use numbers as well

Example: off the top of my head
Waiter
•served 40+ customers on a daily basis, successfully promoting "restaurant name" customer oriented image
Good look.. repped

I got a lot more responses and interviews when I switched to a more aesthetically pleasing format. In two interviews the interviewer said I had the best resume they've ever seen. These were analyst positions in an office setting.

I reviewed resumes as part of the job when working in an college admissions office. Reviewing 100s of plain *** resumes sucked. I was happy when someone used a border or nice paper just because it was different. I began to understand how job recruiters may feel. That's why I swtiched it up and it defintely yielded results.

There is no such thing as trying too hard to get a job.

Last edited:
I got a lot more responses and interviews when I switched to a more aesthetically pleasing format. In two interviews the interviewer said I had the best resume they've ever seen. These were analyst positions in an office setting.

I reviewed resumes as part of the job when working in an college admissions office. Reviewing 100s of plain *** resumes sucked. I was happy when someone used a border or nice paper just because it was different. I began to understand how job recruiters may feel. That's why I swtiched it up and it defintely yielded results.

There is no such thing as trying too hard to get a job.

This is the exact kind of answer I was looking for.

Do you mind posting your résumé?

For you young guys, you need to network. Your net worth is your network. A lot of you guys can't grasp this concept. The college degree by itself is worthless. A friend of mine was looking for an entry position in marketing. Applied for months and nada. I sent a couple texts to a friend who owns a production company and she got a position.

Soft skills are way more valuable than hard skills (aside from professions like medical and law where life is on the line).

This. People still use resumes? :lol:

Except that in some cases a network can only get you do far. Simply knowing someone doesn't get you in the door everywhere.

9/10 times if your resume isnt up to par you'd be hard pressed to get a job in certain places.

Except that in some cases a network can only get you do far. Simply knowing someone doesn't get you in the door everywhere.

9/10 times if your resume isn't up to par you'd be hard pressed to get a job in certain places.

Having a strong network works to your advantage during the early stages of your career. It's probably most effective right out of college.

As you become more senior, your network will only take you so far. It's your experience and mentorship that gets you higher up the ladder. They're not appointing CEO positions because the board "knows" the guy :lol:

Last edited:
I wouldn't even say you could get into a select few of entry level places simply by knowing someone.

I've over heard many a conversation from my bosses who are heavy into recruiting and they're out here turning down kids cause their GPA isn't X.

Finding a job is just super hard man you should really try and have everything possible in your corner.

Having a strong network works to your advantage during the early stages of your career. It's probably most effective right out of college.

As you become more senior, your network will only take you so far. It's your experience and mentorship that gets you higher up the ladder. They're not appointing CEO positions because the board "knows" the guy
laugh.gif
I could be wrong but I don't think that was Antidope's point. Yes, someone is not getting appointed CEO because the Board "knows" the guy but that person's network and connectivity to the Board certainly brought them into the conversation. 

To the earlier point of do people still use resumes - yes. It's very rare that someone is going to give you a job without one. Your resume can also be very helpful job search tool since it can be passed around to people outside your network. 

Back
Top Bottom