AIR JORDAN 12 Cherry Holiday 2023 - Release October 28, 2023 - Good Luck!!!

Picked up jus now, local Hibbett had my size
IMG_7546.jpeg

Also copped this classic edition warriors swingman on deep discount

The amount of nostalgia fulfilled by this release is amazing.

My family was not wealthy when I gre up and barely able to pay rent let alone latest J's. Being able to cop these with ease now money wise really made me appreciate sacrifices parents made back in the day. Albeit my parents would probably look at me crazy the fact that I dropped $400+ on 2 pairs of shoes from the mid 90's

"there's no way I can pay you back. But my plan is to show you that I understand. You are appreciated."

Cheers to all the parents of all the NTers.

From what I could find online these are the release timeframe for the OG Jordan 12’s.

Blk/red releases around June of 97
White/red released around January 97
Obsidian/White-French Blue Feb of 97
Taxis Nov 96
Playoffs June of 97
And the playoffs and flu games were never made in the numbers as taxis and white/red. Most of the pairs sold were during the season, not after it was over. By June I’m jonesing for the next model.

Crazy how different it would be today. All those colorways would roll out before the end of the year and there’d be 5 more PEs he wore and another 10 colorways made for the spring alone

From what I could find online these are the release timeframe for the OG Jordan 12’s.

Taxis Nov 96
Playoffs June of 97

That’s essentially it…Around this way (Vegas) the white / red, and obsidians actually released on the same day which was the Wednesday after the All Star Game (February 12th).

Since we’re in the topic…

Pre Jordan IX MJ would debut the “new” model during the all star game every year in a black based or ~off team~ (Bordeaux VII, Infrared VI Aqua VIII Etc…) colorway…Then he’d wear that model for the remainder of the season and the first half of the following season at which point he’d start the process all over again at the next all star game…White based colorway to close the season, black based colorway for the playoffs, separate white based colorway to start the following season, new model for the all star game…

MJ’s retirement shifted things a bit and Nike cut the run on the VIII’s short (Only 3 colorways with a single “sample” that never got produced) so that they could debut the IX in the fall…To capitalize on MJ’s name while it was still fresh in the minds of the consumer was the reason for the move…It was unprecedented at the time but Nike honestly didn’t know how the public would react to buying sneakers for a retired athlete so they also pushed out those early retros which ended up seeing deep discounts…That’s why there was a plethora of IX PE’s given to various NBA Players at the time…Nike was worried they couldn’t market the line now that MJ was no longer playing basketball…The VIII’s had the shortest release window of the signature line as a result, running from February 1993 through the summer of 1993 (Bugs and Aqua pairs released in February with the Playoffs dropping in April)…

Tinker continued working on the Jordan line after the X which was considered to MJ’s tribute shoe and essentially would be the “last” of the Jordan line…Tinker kept working on the line himself after being told by his superiors to leave it alone…MJ coming back changed the focus obviously and we ended up with the XI as a result…

So basically from the IX until MJ retired for the second time the release window started in the fall and ran through the following summer. MJ of course wore the X’s for the back half of his comeback season of 1995…We all know he debuted the XI’s during the playoffs and eventually went on to wear that model until the end of the 95-96 season then debuted the XII’s at the beginning of the 96-97 season.

Taxis Nov 96
Playoffs June of 97
White/reds and Obsidians came out same day, both Feb 97’. I remember going to get the white reds on release date, and seeing the Obsidian. I had no idea they were coming out, they were like a surprise colorway. I liked them but still went with the white/reds. White reds were my fav colorway in 97’ and still are today. Just perfect execution of a classic colorway.

Black Reds came out April, then Playoffs in June.

Last edited:
Last years model being on sale on Xmas, I can’t call.

Back then, it was all about the newest Jays

Exactly. All about the new model.
I’ve said this many times on NT: The XI was the first shoe I ever saw move so quickly at retail. Up until then, you could count on being able to eventually find every year’s J on sale at places and/or at outlets. They were obtainable in-store for months once they released. I knew plenty of kids who got the old model way late in the game or once the new model came along, always on deep discount.
Personally I can’t say how EVERY colorway of XIIs sold. I got my Taxis on day one after seeing what happened the previous year with XIs. That’s all I cared about so once I had them, I was good. I don’t recall seeing white/reds on shelves for long, though. I do seem to remember the playoffs being available for a minute because I pondered buying a pair a couple times after release but passed each time.

Last edited:
In Southern CA all the og 12’s sold pretty decently, but I do remember them not having quite the same hype as the 11, especially the black/red 11 which was the only og of 1-14 that sold out instantly to my knowledge (I didn’t get in the game until the 6 was out someone correct me if I’m wrong). I do remember seeing more playoff 12’s on peoples feet even just before the 13 was getting ready to debut, but it’s impossible to know which colorway truly sold the best or fastest back then.

Exactly. All about the new model.
I’ve said this many times on NT: The XI was the first shoe I ever saw move so quickly at retail. Up until then, you could count on being able to eventually find every year’s J on sale at places and/or at outlets. They were attainable in-store for months once they released. I knew plenty of kids who got the old model way late in the game or once the new model came along, always on deep discount.
Personally I can’t say how EVERY colorway of XIIs sold. I got my Taxis on day one after seeing what happened the previous year with XIs. That’s all I cared about so once I had them, I was good. I don’t recall seeing white/reds on shelves for long, though. I do seem to remember the playoffs being available for a minute because I pondered buying a pair a couple times after release but passed each time.

Playoffs didn’t move around my way until back to school kicked off…Lots of pairs were on foot to start the school year in the fall of 97…Once November hit it was all about the 13’s though…

And it was absolutely new model or bust around this way, once they hit that was it…You didn’t circle back around and buy the old model at that point…

Playoffs didn’t move around my way until back to school kicked off…Lots of pairs were on foot to start the school year in the fall of 97…Once November hit it was all about the 13’s though…

And it was absolutely new model or bust around this way, once they hit that was it…You didn’t circle back around and buy the old model at that point…
Yep. I remember getting the white black 13 in November 97’, and blown away at how comfy they were. When the black reds came out in April with that reflective mesh it was wrap. One of my fav shoes ever.

I do not remember exactly the release date of the Black and Red 12. I did get them on the release day though. And all I could remember was being so stoked to have a Jordan before MJ actually wore them. That was a first for me.

Popularity in your school or neighborhood perhaps.

Internet/social media wasn’t out back then, so cats really don’t know what was goin on around the world, sneaker wise.

Vibes and popularity was much more regional.

Exactly!!!

I know this a sneaker forum to discuss whatever you like, but the back n forth all day n night is needless. The only ppl that know are the nike corporate employees who have/had all the data.

I just got my Champs ship to me pair. Crazy how I got em in so quick. I also threw em on feet asap, not only are they amazing but they feel like it too.

IMG_7059.jpeg
IMG_7060.jpeg
Literally next day shipping? 😲

My FTL pair should be delivered on Tuesday and my SNKRS pair Wednesday. Black Cement 2’s on Tuesday as well. It’s going to be a good week.

Back
Top Bottom