Air Jordan 38

just got my 38 from NDC a few minutes ago and all I can say is they're not what I was expecting...

in a good way!

they're even better than what I was expecting in some regards!

According to many comments here I really thought they were much more bulkier. The shoes look way bigger in pictures than in real life, at least to my eyes. I find them rather surprisingly compact for the style of shoe, they look really agile and they feel light.

I remember reading some comments about the fact that the padding at the ankle is not thick enough to their liking, well it's got nice memory foam which is a plus in my opinion since it removes the said bulk, plus they're carved just right around the heel as well for a perfect lockdown.

I really dig the low ''U''shape around the achillies too, which give kind of a low top feel at the back, but with the mid side support and comfort on the sides at the ankle.

The craftsmanship quality, at least right out of the box is just wow! outstanding! (as long as the outsole holds up well where the ''x'' plate and the cuts are under the forefoot...time will tell...but I can easily see what people mean...and upon quick inspection it seems like they could have probably designed that part a bit differently/better to prevent sole separation and the x-plate edge chipping I think)

The other thing is I fear the plastic(x-plate), which looks pretty much like pebax, will turn piss yellow on the Fundamentals, but whatever no big deal in that regards, plus it won't show on other colorways if it ever does.

The stitchings all over are amazing.

The tongue with its 2 layers, I really like!

They look like absolute beasts and I can't wait to try them on court. Overall very happy with the first impression.

Last edited:
The other thing is I fear the plastic(x-plate), which looks pretty much like pebax, will turn piss yellow on the Fundamentals, but whatever no big deal in that regards, plus it won't show on other colorways if it ever does.

I've thought of that, too, but I decided I don't care. Then they'll have the "vintage" look Nike and JB seem to think everyone wants :lol:
Even if that happens, it's still a hell of a lot better than the entire damn upper yellowing like the 33s and 34s do thanks to that stupid mesh/weave material.

Testing……
IMG_1129.jpeg

IMG_1130.jpeg

That's from early last week I think. Also MJ was overseas, and it was like during the daytime wherever he was, so the text didn't really get sent at 5 or 6am. Nonetheless, it's Magic > Curry for point guards. That man was incredible. Steph has the "greatest shooter ever" title on lock for eternity though.
AGREE 100% and it's not even that close. while there could be a bias with regards to the relationship between Magic and Mike, Jordan definitely telling the truth. Magic was a great playmaker/PG and equating Steph as a better PG than Magic is heresy. Steph being the greatest shooter of all time doesn't make him a better PG just because he becomes the central part of the offense due to his shooting ability. being a PG is more than just shooting ability but the play the pieces or hold other players as a team. Magic has that.

also, I find such comparisons disrespectful to other great PG players like Stockton, Penny, Zeke, Steve Nash, CP3, Kidd, TP. players that I would easily choose over Steph in the PG department.

AGREE 100% and it's not even that close. while there could be a bias with regards to the relationship between Magic and Mike, Jordan definitely telling the truth. Magic was a great playmaker/PG and equating Steph as a better PG than Magic is heresy. Steph being the greatest shooter of all time doesn't make him a better PG just because he becomes the central part of the offense due to his shooting ability. being a PG is more than just shooting ability but the play the pieces or hold other players as a team. Magic has that.

also, I find such comparisons disrespectful to other great PG players like Stockton, Penny, Zeke, Steve Nash, CP3, Kidd, TP. players that I would easily choose over Steph in the PG department.

Both Magic and Steph are listed as PG's. Steph's saying that he's the best player listed as a PG to ever play in the league.

He's not talking style of play or pure PG, just PG.

I don't agree or disagree with him because I have no opinion on it. That's how he feels.

He feels that no PG regardless of style of play is or was better than him.

glad to see that people aren't paying that much attention to the messy glue work.
was only a matter of time before you blindly hyped this shoe up more, denied outsole issues and claimed them "international" only and told people to ignore messy finishing (messy glue) on a $200 shoe? you forgot to bash the 37 again in each of your posts, unprovoked. :lol:

I get it, it's early. I am excited to see the lows and more colorways, and discounts... and more prolonged wear tests from hoopers.

was only a matter of time before you blindly hyped this shoe up more, denied outsole issues and claimed them "international" only and told people to ignore messy finishing (messy glue) on a $200 shoe? you forgot to bash the 37 again in each of your posts, unprovoked. :lol:

I get it, it's early. I am excited to see the lows and more colorways, and discounts... and more prolonged wear tests from hoopers.
1. Where did I tell people to ignore the messy finish? if you can point that out, then you can make fun about it, otherwise, correct your accusation.
2. if I blindly hype the shoe, I wouldn't even mention the messy glue application.

3. point out where I denied the outsole issues? as far as the postings about it are concerned and from what I read, they are FIBA pairs and the posts came from elsewhere unless NTers and people from North America already have instances of this existing concern. I'm here trying to validate the reports as much as any 38 concerned owner.

seems like you got your feelings hurt by my 37 harsh criticism and rightfully so. unlike some blind brand follower that makes accusations of me being a brand hater, I have my standards. there's no need to even criticize "that shoe that should have never existed" further as JB now has a successor.

maybe if you have been paying attention regarding my J38 posts rather than cherry picking on some few posts and a point of your ridicule, you may have made sense.

on the otherhand, I appreciate your final statement as it is the only one with real objective.

Testing……
IMG_1129.jpeg

IMG_1130.jpeg
Really curious if your PF pair has better outsole quality than the non-PF versions.

I hate to say it y'all but don't buy any clear/translucent soled 38s. The rubber compound they used is really brittle/crumbly. Already seeing some crumbling at the troubled spot on the medial side of the forefoot after just an hour and a half hoop session. Maybe the PF Fundamentals with the solid outsole has a more durable rubber. I'm not willing to pay ID4 $220 to find out.

Also getting some really loud creaking that I didn't notice before. Sounds like the shoe is farting every step I tale when just casually walking around the house.

Last thing on fit: this shoe is definitely good for people with a fuller foot. If you have narrow/lean/skinny feet, the containment is going to be tricky to dial in. I noticed during play that my feet went kind of numb after I really cranked the laces. They do run slightly big so I might try .5 size down on a solid outsole pair.

All this is to say I'm pretty disappointed as these are really fun to play in, look amazing and have so much potential but there's a couple of flaws that are dealbreakers for me.

Last edited:
Can someone catch me up please? What’s PF verse non PF?
performance fit. typically shoe releasing in Asia. they said that the fit is wider than what we get here in North America. also, difference in outsole material. we normally get the translucent rubber versus the solid rubber in performance fit shoes. I think they have another name for it which I forgot.

Back
Top Bottom