Air Jordan 39 (XXXIX)

Not sure I entirely follow your logic. Kids don’t want the new sigs because MJ is old and they didn’t see him play and they don’t care about him, but they buy the retros of shoes that are famous because of the same guy? Is the thought that they at least know who he is and only buy shoes he played in? Or that they buy the retros because some of those shoes have become pop culture staples on their own whereas the new models don’t have that going for them?
It may just be they don’t like a lot of the designs regardless of anything else.
I’m not sure they’re buying retros at all if they’re minors. Their parents might, but even if they did buy retros the same logic applies. Hell, same logic is being used by dudes in this thread with why they stopped at 14 or 18. They aren’t cool to people if they weren’t worn by the player whose shoes they’re branded with.

Kids no doubt want to wear shoes of the star they like just as we did. But I do think a lot of kids wearing Jordans aren’t playing basketball and know very little about who MJ is or what he did in basketball.

French blue 39 concept with the aj9 French blue
Screenshot_20240425_092219_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240425_092454_Google.jpg

I’m not sure they’re buying retros at all if they’re minors. Their parents might, but even if they did buy retros the same logic applies. Hell, same logic is being used by dudes in this thread with why they stopped at 14 or 18. They aren’t cool to people if they weren’t worn by the player whose shoes they’re branded with.

Kids no doubt want to wear shoes of the star they like just as we did. But I do think a lot of kids wearing Jordans aren’t playing basketball and know very little about who MJ is or what he did in basketball.

While I get the point that says fewer kids today care or know about Jordan in general, I’m still not following this logic entirely. So the kids who DON’T play ball and know even less about MJ and Jordans are the ones buying MORE Jordans than the ones who do? Can’t really wrap my head around that one.

When I say “kids,” I’m not talking about ones young enough that just wear what their parents give them. Unless kids have changed even more drastically than I think they have, I don’t think they’re going along with that by the time they’ve reached middle school, or even sooner. I know I wasn’t.

Separately, all these photoshops are making the 39 look much worse to me :lol:

Last edited:
So the kids who DON’T play ball and know even less about MJ and Jordans are the ones buying MORE Jordans than the ones who do? Can’t really wrap my head around that one.
don’t think any one is saying this lol. I work at a middle school. Most kids buy what they see is “hot” or “trending”. I can’t tell you how many kids I have that show me what they’re looking to get based off of what’s stockx and goat listings. There is not the connection to shoes that you, I, and the next NTer had when we started getting into it when we were younger. Like I said in a post before, I’ve had more kids mix up the actual sig numbers when talking about shoes than get them right.

don’t think any one is saying this lol. I work at a middle school. Most kids buy what they see is “hot” or “trending”. I can’t tell you how many kids I have that show me what they’re looking to get based off of what’s stockx and goat listings. There is not the connection to shoes that you, I, and the next NTer had when we started getting into it when we were younger. Like I said in a post before, I’ve had more kids mix up the actual sig numbers when talking about shoes than get them right.

I understand that. I’m only questioning why the same thing supposedly isn’t carrying over to the kids who also actually play basketball, then? It’s not like they can’t see good modern players on TV rocking the new Jordan game shoe every year. How is that any different to when we were kids and saw guys rocking various shoes on the court? It’s not like the annual sigs don’t get any publicity or any less than a load of other modern bball shoes.

I understand that. I’m only questioning why the same thing supposedly isn’t carrying over to the kids who also actually play basketball, then? It’s not like they can’t see good modern players on TV rocking the new Jordan game shoe every year. How is that any different to when we were kids and saw guys rocking various shoes on the court? It’s not like the annual sigs don’t get any publicity or any less than a load of other modern bball shoes.
How many outside of Paulo and Brandon Ingram are actually wearing the signature model, where teens/kids recognize/know the player? Outside of their respective markets of course.

yall hype up concepts knowing damn well we bouta get straight mediocrity in color blocking

I’m expecting to like 1 to 2 colorways of this model at best

How many outside of Paulo and Brandon Ingram are actually wearing the signature model, where teens/kids recognize/know the player? Outside of their respective markets of course.
I don't know, but there have been plenty of players who wore them going back to last year, plus college players, plus the sneaker sites posting about them, etc etc. Plus you have all the social media accounts tracking sneakers, and what sneakers players are spotted playing in ... I would think today's youth who are into bball and sneakers would know a lot more about all the shoes that are out there than even we did in 1994.
This is a dumb "argument." I'm not even trying to argue anything here. I'm just genuinely questioning the idea/logic that "kids" don't know about or want to play in the new annual Jordan game shoe because MJ is now in his 60s, yet tons of kids will wear retro Js all over the place, or as some have said in here, even play in the retros. So if they aren't playing in the modern shoes, it seems questionable that the reason is related to their knowledge of MJ one way or the other. Like I said, maybe they just don't like the shoes, or maybe the shoes are too expensive for most to buy to beat up on the actual basketball court. KDs are a lot cheaper, for example.
We may as well drop the topic because it's not going to get us any closer to a real answer about what's really going on there.

The kids wearing Jordan retros are trendy and likely not even the same kids playing basketball. Ask kids who any of these 90’s players are and they have almost zero idea. My gf’s 9 year old has a couple retros and team Jordans and I had to explain to him who the hell he was even wearing on his hoodie and shoes. Somehow I don’t think he’s an outlier.

I’m sure there’s crossover with kids playing basketball and collecting retros but it seems pretty easy to see they’re wearing sigs of their favorite players and MJ isn’t one of them lol

Retro J’s for teens/kids are fashion and hype from my experience with what I’ve seen at schools. I work at a Title I school. Most that play in retros, it’s all they got/spend their money on.

You said there’s been plenty of players that have worn the sigs and you see them on socials and what not, but who are the stars wearing them that are connecting them to those sigs like MJ, Penny, Pippen, Iverson, Hill etc for us? The other sigs are popular and cheaper but have their respective stars out there wearing them.

I’m not trying to argue anything either. Just speaking on what I’ve personally seen and have heard from the teens I work with.

The kids wearing Jordan retros are trendy and likely not even the same kids playing basketball. Ask kids who any of these 90’s players are and they have almost zero idea. My gf’s 9 year old has a couple retros and team Jordans and I had to explain to him who the hell he was even wearing on his hoodie and shoes. Somehow I don’t think he’s an outlier.

I’m sure there’s crossover with kids playing basketball and collecting retros but it seems pretty easy to see they’re wearing sigs of their favorite players and MJ isn’t one of them lol
Man I had a similar experience with an employee at a Hibbett about the Griffey Max 1. And he was 22.. Had no idea who he was and I had to explain that to him.. Crazy!🤣

Man I had a similar experience with an employee at a Hibbett about the Griffey Max 1. And he was 22.. Had no idea who he was and I had to explain that to him.. Crazy!🤣
You have no idea how many times I’ve had this convo with employees about Griffeys, Pennys (foamposites as well as his other sigs), Pippens. Hell I had that experience with the Devin Bookers that released last weekend lol.

When we were young, there was a connection to a human, not a brand. (Jordan, Penny, Griffey, Barkely, Deion,Shaq etc) Younger gen has no connection to that human. Simply put, thats why its never gonna be like it was. Even if the latest sig is dope as all hell. It will never capture what it used to be. They know that.
Most of us old guys dont buy these to turn heads. We buy them because of the feeling they gave us then. I dont think kids follow athletes like we did. The internet allows more options to follow we didnt have. And there is no problem with that.
Ball players want the best shoe they can get within their price range. The players above are just brands now. Nothing wrong there either.

I kinda like this one. But maybe make the subtle change of making the back plastic piece red while putting that side above the midesole back to black.

I'm not making anything worse my boy this is not my work I do not own the right to this it belong to smoothtwo3 take it up with him

:lol:
What I hate about these renders is that they connect the heel-counter piece, midsole and toe piece in a way that makes the shoe look clunky as hell. Makes them look like a little kid’s saddle shoe or something.

Back
Top Bottom