Air Jordan 9 “University Blue” Thread December 5th $190

so why did they reverse the jumpman on the midsole? what the **** was the point?
The same reason they did it to the XI. To match the original poster direction. They would have done it to the 7 to but location wise they could not get away with it without it looking stupid as hell. Shrinking it like they did on the 9 would have thrown it all off also.

Air Jordan 9 “University Blue”
Color: White/Black-University Blue
Style Code: CT8019-140
Release Date: December 5, 2020
Price: $190
1605325010118.jpeg
1605325028077.jpeg
1605325046315.jpeg
1605325070794.jpeg
1605325090254.jpeg
1605325105930.jpeg

I wish they'd made these just a little more different than the OG wht/blk colorway.

Nothing too crazy, maybe a carolina pull tab, or white laces with white or carolina lace loops, or even just a carolina ankle liner.

I think these are cool

but I have near deadstock white and blacks

I would get on discount, but things don't seem to go on sale these days

Like some of the other members, been waiting on the re-release of the Powder Blues. At this point doesn't seem like it's going to happen. In terms of sizing (I'm a wide footer) how do these fit should I half size up?

Y’all think Nike will pump fake and do a “sell out” on these? I like them but not for $190. I would def cop these on disco

Last edited:
During the time the 2016 XI 45 and the White Black 9 "Space Jam" were about to come out, I personally was in heaven planning on getting both till I saw actual pics of the 9 coming. They made it a point to correct the XI JM direction but still stayed with the same BS on the 9. They fixed the midsole, and the eyelets, but neglected intentionally the most important feature. Never understood it. Never will. They have had sooo many opportunities to fix that shoes obvious problem.
Again as I stated long ago, put an undersized JM on the tongue of a 3 or 4, and see the outpouring of discontent. This is the only model to get ****ed with in that regard.

It’s actually quite simple:

It’s costs A LOT of money to fix tooling. You’re looking in the rage of ~$500k to fix the midsole molds for a true FSR range of tooling.

If this was a more popular model where Nike could recoup that investment by pushing “remastered 9s” quickly, they would probably do it but 9s sell “well enough” that they don’t need to do this. It sucks because they totally screwed up the molds in 10 or so years ago and it’s unlikely we’ll see them fixed anytime soon.

It’s actually quite simple:

It’s costs A LOT of money to fix tooling. You’re looking in the rage of ~$500k to fix the midsole molds for a true FSR range of tooling.

If this was a more popular model where Nike could recoup that investment by pushing “remastered 9s” quickly, they would probably do it but 9s sell “well enough” that they don’t need to do this. It sucks because they totally screwed up the molds in 10 or so years ago and it’s unlikely we’ll see them fixed anytime soon.
What would production numbers look like for a release like these? An estimate.

What would production numbers look like for a release like these? An estimate.

I honestly don’t know total production stock numbers for smaller GRs but models like 9s and 2s are typically produced in smaller GRs than GRs of 5s and 6s, for example. Profit margins on retros are already really good but, realistically, I think they would likely cover the cost of the new tooling by increasing retail price, unfortunately. We saw the holiday 11s increase in quality and get made closer to the OG but we paid for that by having to shell out for increased retail prices.

I honestly don’t know total production stock numbers for smaller GRs but models like 9s and 2s are typically produced in smaller GRs than GRs of 5s and 6s, for example. Profit margins on retros are already really good but, realistically, I think they would likely cover the cost of the new tooling by increasing retail price, unfortunately. We saw the holiday 11s increase in quality and get made closer to the OG but we paid for that by having to shell out for increased retail prices.
Thank you for that. I honestly would love to know their true production output on releases. Obviously that is contained by design. But the way I see it, if a mold of the outsole/midsole costs 500 k, they can more than make that money back and then some with the retail cost compared to actual cost to make overall. I really dont understand what the mold is. I am assuming its the outsole on up. The uppers are made from die cut molds of some sort I believe. I would love to see a shoe like a 9 made from scratch just to understand the production process.

Thank you for that. I honestly would love to know their true production output on releases. Obviously that is contained by design. But the way I see it, if a mold of the outsole/midsole costs 500 k, they can more than make that money back and then some with the retail cost compared to actual cost to make overall. I really dont understand what the mold is. I am assuming its the outsole on up. The uppers are made from die cut molds of some sort I believe. I would love to see a shoe like a 9 made from scratch just to understand the production process.

Yeah the thing about all molds is that they actually have a shelf-life so they’ll eventually have to be replaced due to hot materials (I.e. polyurethane midsole, rubber outsole) being constantly poured into them. The problem with a model like 9s is that the life of those crappy older molds can be stretched out since they aren’t producing tooling in FSR numbers like AJ 3s (which are sometimes produced in different factories based on different releases and even left/right shoe) for example so the wear-and-tear on the AJ 9 molds is a lot less. The only hope is that they don’t have as many AJ 9 molds so they might need to be replaced sooner since the production is so dependent on them.

Yeah the thing about all molds is that they actually have a shelf-life so they’ll eventually have to be replaced due to hot materials (I.e. polyurethane midsole, rubber outsole) being constantly poured into them. The problem with a model like 9s is that the life of those crappy older molds can be stretched out since they aren’t producing tooling in FSR numbers like AJ 3s (which are sometimes produced in different factories based on different releases and even left/right shoe) for example so the wear-and-tear on the AJ 9 molds is a lot less. The only hope is that they don’t have as many AJ 9 molds so they might need to be replaced sooner since the production is so dependent on them.
Molds with a shelf life. Interesting. May be the reason it changed (9) between the Carolina to the Charcoal. I had the silver anny shoe also and it was correct to what they should be.
Here is the thing I will not wrap my head around, Nike makes a Billion plus a year. Even if a mold cost a million, which it does not. what justifies their decision making? Yes, I know its money saved. The current mold is wrong and they have to know this. It is way off. You cannot just change an obvious design feature like the total size of the actual Jumpman on the shoe and think it is ok. Obviously they do and thats what gets me so heated.
Other shoes get the attempted treatment of the OG look and fail in so many ways. Dif convo there. But this 9, gets completely ****ed out of what it really should look like. The 9 is so simple in design it makes no sense that its so off with that feature. I know materials will never match 100. But the design features themselves should. Even size and direction.
I truly believe people would like 9s more if they simply stuck to the fundamental and original design.

Molds with a shelf life. Interesting. May be the reason it changed (9) between the Carolina to the Charcoal. I had the silver anny shoe also and it was correct to what they should be.

That makes complete sense, I wouldn’t be surprised if you see the change. I noticed my old pair of Black/White Alternate Chrome 2s from 2010 had a different outsole mold than my Wing It 2s from 2016.

Here is the thing I will not wrap my head around, Nike makes a Billion plus a year. Even if a mold cost a million, which it does not. what justifies their decision making? Yes, I know its money saved. The current mold is wrong and they have to know this. It is way off. You cannot just change an obvious design feature like the total size of the actual Jumpman on the shoe and think it is ok. Obviously they do and thats what gets me so heated.
Other shoes get the attempted treatment of the OG look and fail in so many ways. Dif convo there. But this 9, gets completely ****ed out of what it really should look like. The 9 is so simple in design it makes no sense that its so off with that feature. I know materials will never match 100. But the design features themselves should. Even size and direction.
I truly believe people would like 9s more if they simply stuck to the fundamental and original design.

I should be clear, I was only discussing the costs to manufacture the mold so there are some smaller costs like shipping and installation, etc. but, most importantly, I don’t think they would approve and produce a new mold unless there was a real need for it. You’re not going to want to hear this but I’m willing to be most people who buy retros don’t care about these designs like us sneaker enthusiasts here on NT do. I think that’s why they usually implement big changes with a price increase I.e. 2015 “remastered” $190 retros or the recent ‘85 OG 1s with a higher pricepoint. A good example is the Foamposite One. The OG upper mold was apparently LOST (lol) so the mold they use is essentially an estimation of it. The worst part is this has a huge impact on the design as the shoes look a bit different from OG foams. Hilariously, they’ve been using this mold for so long, I think most people don’t even think about it anymore since they attribute the non-OG retro Foam’s mold as being the design they’re familiar with. At this point, there’s little/no reason for Nike to ever fix this issue, ironically (and, strangely, some people might find the OG Foam shape weird since they’re so used to the retro shape).

Back
Top Bottom