Air Jordan Inspiration questions

So most, if not all of you are well aware that nearly every single Air Jordan in the signature line has had a prominent inspiration in their design/ technology used.  
But, what was the inspiration behind the first 10 Air Jordans?  

Here are the ones I'm aware of

XX2:  F22 Fighter plane (Says so on the description on jumpman23 and other sites)
XX1:  Bentley Continental GT (Evident from the grill/ lace tips of the shoe)
XX:  Motorcycles (I heard the area of the sole that's not the pods (Gray area on the stealths for example) were inspired from the tread of motorcycle tires)
XIX:  The black mamba snake (The tech-flex maybe?  Unsure about this one)

XVIII: Lamborghini Murcielago (Shape of the shoe, flaps near the ankle similar to the rear-wing spoiler of the car that opens up when going at high speeds I believe)

XVII:  Golf course and Jazz music (Seen on the sole and the shroud)

XVI:  Marching band shoes, 11s, 3s, 5s (Read from jumpman 23.  Patent leather toe that pays homage to the 11s, mid-cut that pays homage to the 3s, clear sole and netting that pays homage to the 5s)

XV:  X15 plane and MJ's tongue (Read from Jumpman23)

XIV:  MJ's Ferrari 550 Maranello (Read from Jumpman 23)
XIII:  A black panther (Pretty obvious.  Retro card, descriptions etc.)
XII: The old Japanese flag (the one with the rays that protrude from the sun.  Can be seen from the way the 12s were stitched)

XI: Dress shoes?  (unsure)

I'm guessing the 1s were based off of parts from Nike Vandals, Terminators, Air Force Ones, and maybe the Dunk (although I heard the original dunk and the AJ1 released on the same day)

So basically, 1-10.  I don't know what's the inspiration behind those shoes.   Feel free to add on to the ones already listed, I'm sure I've left out some other inspirations for the other models.   Any insight would be appreciated.

So most, if not all of you are well aware that nearly every single Air Jordan in the signature line has had a prominent inspiration in their design/ technology used.  
But, what was the inspiration behind the first 10 Air Jordans?  

Here are the ones I'm aware of

XX2:  F22 Fighter plane (Says so on the description on jumpman23 and other sites)
XX1:  Bentley Continental GT (Evident from the grill/ lace tips of the shoe)
XX:  Motorcycles (I heard the area of the sole that's not the pods (Gray area on the stealths for example) were inspired from the tread of motorcycle tires)
XIX:  The black mamba snake (The tech-flex maybe?  Unsure about this one)

XVIII: Lamborghini Murcielago (Shape of the shoe, flaps near the ankle similar to the rear-wing spoiler of the car that opens up when going at high speeds I believe)

XVII:  Golf course and Jazz music (Seen on the sole and the shroud)

XVI:  Marching band shoes, 11s, 3s, 5s (Read from jumpman 23.  Patent leather toe that pays homage to the 11s, mid-cut that pays homage to the 3s, clear sole and netting that pays homage to the 5s)

XV:  X15 plane and MJ's tongue (Read from Jumpman23)

XIV:  MJ's Ferrari 550 Maranello (Read from Jumpman 23)
XIII:  A black panther (Pretty obvious.  Retro card, descriptions etc.)
XII: The old Japanese flag (the one with the rays that protrude from the sun.  Can be seen from the way the 12s were stitched)

XI: Dress shoes?  (unsure)

I'm guessing the 1s were based off of parts from Nike Vandals, Terminators, Air Force Ones, and maybe the Dunk (although I heard the original dunk and the AJ1 released on the same day)

So basically, 1-10.  I don't know what's the inspiration behind those shoes.   Feel free to add on to the ones already listed, I'm sure I've left out some other inspirations for the other models.   Any insight would be appreciated.

XI were inspired by a lawn mower, lol.
V were inspired by a Supermarine Spitfire Mk VIII.

VII were inspired by an African art, I think or is it just for the Bordeaux? 

XI were inspired by a lawn mower, lol.
V were inspired by a Supermarine Spitfire Mk VIII.

VII were inspired by an African art, I think or is it just for the Bordeaux? 

I think the IX was inspired by the Japanese culture since there's a lot of details on the shoe relating to Japan and its culture.

I think the IX was inspired by the Japanese culture since there's a lot of details on the shoe relating to Japan and its culture.

Yeah I agree with you on the 12s. As for the IXs, there's also different languages on the sole of the shoe as well. So IDK about just solely Japan.

Yeah I agree with you on the 12s. As for the IXs, there's also different languages on the sole of the shoe as well. So IDK about just solely Japan.

Off the top of my head...

II's had an Italian craftsmanship influence. The Originals were actually made in Italy.

V's were inspired by a WWII Fighter plane.

VII's- African artwork.

IX's stemmed from MJ's international appeal. Hence the different inspirational words in different languages.

Off the top of my head...

II's had an Italian craftsmanship influence. The Originals were actually made in Italy.

V's were inspired by a WWII Fighter plane.

VII's- African artwork.

IX's stemmed from MJ's international appeal. Hence the different inspirational words in different languages.

That makes sense for the 2s. 100% agreed on the Vs. Can't believe I forgot about that... haha.

VII's African artwork? I can kind of see that on the tongue. But wouldn't preceding huarache shoes be a possibility since they did implement huarache tech?

That makes sense for the 2s. 100% agreed on the Vs. Can't believe I forgot about that... haha.

VII's African artwork? I can kind of see that on the tongue. But wouldn't preceding huarache shoes be a possibility since they did implement huarache tech?

Weren't the 1s already designed but they just threw the wings on them and called them jordans? I remember reading that somewhere

Weren't the 1s already designed but they just threw the wings on them and called them jordans? I remember reading that somewhere

How about the VI? I heard they were used as Batman's boots for a movie. Could Batman be part of the inspiration?

How about the VI? I heard they were used as Batman's boots for a movie. Could Batman be part of the inspiration?

batman did not inspire the vi design. they just used an entirely blacked out black infra on the costume in batman returns.

batman did not inspire the vi design. they just used an entirely blacked out black infra on the costume in batman returns.

Originally Posted by eltouha

yep...i got the pic somewhere

Back
Top Bottom