Air Jordan Retro 9 “Powder Blue” OG March 23, 2024

People complained about the price increases a couple years back but since then, they've used the extra money to fix molds, give us great materials, and bring back a bunch of OGs. JB can do no wrong in my eyes... Gotta salute what they've done the last few years

u2HtR2C.gif
I wouldn’t go that far 😂 but I’m appreciative of 85 molds, the much improved 2’s, the great 3’s and 4’s, and that playoff 8 was excellent as well.

This isn’t as dramatic of an update as those but it’s another step in the right direction and thankfully they’re doing it with OG colorways and not nonsense

People complained about the price increases a couple years back but since then, they've used the extra money to fix molds, give us great materials, and bring back a bunch of OGs. JB can do no wrong in my eyes... Gotta salute what they've done the last few years

u2HtR2C.gif
I agree with this to some extent. But you have to admit they play the troll game with us still when it comes to original color releases.

I agree with this to some extent. But you have to admit they play the troll game with us still when it comes to original color releases.

This is why I critique so harshly. They do things to let you know that they are aware of certain things but purposely change something just as a **** you

That was more gentry’s style

I remember clear as day them trying to get this off
IMG_2268.jpeg

Had dudes PLEADING just for plastic wings. Forget about Nike air. It’s been an unnecessary marketing ploy to bastardize the shoes and continue to sell over the years.

The frustration comes in because the shoe is going to sell regardless so just do it right. Any 1:1 og I would buy every few years no questions asked. They just have horrible greedy corny gimmicky people working there

This is why I critique so harshly. They do things to let you know that they are aware of certain things but purposely change something just as a **** you

IMG_2268.jpeg

Had dudes PLEADING just for plastic wings. Forget about Nike air. It’s been an unnecessary marketing ploy to bastardize the shoes and continue to sell over the years.

The frustration comes in because the shoe is going to sell regardless so just do it right. Any 1:1 og I would buy every few years no questions asked. They just have horrible greedy corny gimmicky people working there
That pair actually looks way better than the actual 2006 pair that released to the public lol

IMG_2268.jpeg

the thing is my frustration isn’t anywhere near what it was a decade ago. Most people’s isn’t. But here there’s a vocal minority who make it sound like things are worse now ironically and it’s that they’re just more cynical.

IMO their sales strategy and purposely getting things wrong has become much more transparent if you’ve been paying attention. I’m way less bothered saying no to a shoe than I was a decade ago.

And in some cases I didn’t see the need to buy a slightly better version of a flawed retro. Never upgraded 2013 black toes cause the 2016 version wasn’t THAT much better. Or I bought em and never wore them knowing they’d make me some money (like WC IVs) down the road.

Some dudes seem angry about it one way or another. Either it retro’d too soon or too late or one particular detail is a dealbreaker they’re mad about.

I’ve always seen this as a money harvesting operation, but I think some people refuse to acknowledge the realities of the business and how predatory it’s always been

the thing is my frustration isn’t anywhere near what it was a decade ago. Most people’s isn’t. But here there’s a vocal minority who make it sound like things are worse now ironically and it’s that they’re just more cynical.

IMO their sales strategy and purposely getting things wrong has become much more transparent if you’ve been paying attention. I’m way less bothered saying no to a shoe than I was a decade ago.

And in some cases I didn’t see the need to buy a slightly better version of a flawed retro. Never upgraded 2013 black toes cause the 2016 version wasn’t THAT much better. Or I bought em and never wore them knowing they’d make me some money (like WC IVs) down the road.

Some dudes seem angry about it one way or another. Either it retro’d too soon or too late or one particular detail is a dealbreaker they’re mad about.

I’ve always seen this as a money harvesting operation, but I think some people refuse to acknowledge the realities of the business and how predatory it’s always been

I generally agree but even from a marketing/sales perspective you’re casting a wider net when you make the shoe accurate. So I legit don’t understand their bs.

If you make it right you get people like me plus everyone else to buy the shoe. If not, there are a lot of people who are not going to buy. Is that number insignificant to them? Possibly but guess what? It’s still MORE

I generally agree but even from a marketing/sales perspective you’re casting a wider net when you make the shoe accurate. So I legit don’t understand their bs.

If you make it right you get people like me plus everyone else to buy the shoe. If not, there are a lot of people who are not going to buy. Is that number insignificant to them? Possibly but guess what? It’s still MORE
I think their continual fear since the 90’s has been that releasing the same shoe again and again will be the death of the brand and eventually people won’t buy them at all. That’s been borne out in interviews with a number of people who worked there.

I agree making it right and producing all cws with proper molds could only help sales but they believe the incremental differences spur buying decisions. “We’re almost there!”

I think we’re at the point now where they’ve conceded they should make them closer to OG form but the reimagined line was an easy side-step to get shape right but make other changes.

I don’t agree with it but no one here is changing their strategy. Only way cash machines change strategy is when people speak with their wallets. And we’ve yet to see a year fall behind the previous one so that’s apparently not going to happen.

They prove to fix the 4 shape and give us leather. We buy. They prove to fix the 3 shape and give us aged. We buy. Its non stop so we all are reasons why JB does what they do. The cycle continues. We buy.
I guess I can rationalize my buying choices which is probably what they hope we do. But I feel a lot better buying those than garbage shoes I bought (and returned or sold) last decade, like Fire Red 4’s and 5’s, White/Red 14’s, any 13 that didn’t have 3M like it did originally. ‘15 Bordeaux’s is another one they butchered that I skipped.

I’m wearing the new 3’s and 4’s because not only are they better shaped, they’re more comfortable and make me want to wear them more.

IMG_2268.jpeg

I continue to have PTSD whenever I see these wrong lace locks 🤮
IMG_3117.png

That pair actually looks way better than the actual 2006 pair that released to the public lol

I literally threw my 2006 militaries in the trash after about five wears. I was so p’oed about how offensive that shoe was to me and anyone who spent money on it.

I continue to have PTSD whenever I see these wrong lace locks 🤮
IMG_3117.png

I literally threw my 2006 militaries in the trash after about five wears. I was so p’oed about how offensive that shoe was to me and anyone who spent money on it.
IMG_8621.jpeg

This was the shoe that made me take a long break from buying Js. I bought them and wore them a few times and it made me realize that if this was the type of retros we’d be getting going forward then I just wasn’t interested in it at all.

I’d take that sample with leather wings 10/10 times over these.

IMG_8621.jpeg

This was the shoe that made me take a long break from buying Js. I bought them and wore them a few times and it made me realize that if this was the type of retros we’d be getting going forward then I just wasn’t interested in it at all.

This. These sent me on hiatus for many years and I regret buying the 2016 and 2019 pairs now too as well. Only reason I got them was the na. They’re both horrible

This is one of those colorways the JB was probably gonna get me with either way. I don’t have any wearable 9s and never owned this one. They have such an extensive catalog they really should get everything as close as possible to OG spec and put everything on a 10 year cycle.

A lot of this is the chicken or the egg thing. Do we appreciate the improvements JB has recently made, or is the appreciation there but not entirely there because they are now on sometimes the 3rd, 4th, 5th version of said shoe and it still has flaws. That to me is the issue - The fact they are on so many versions and still act like, well, we made it close! This is the largest shoe company in the orbit, copying their own shoes. And selling those copies with the same original name on the box as if it's that shoe. It's not, it's been a bad copy. Making it closer than ever still leaves questions.

The general public of course is going to fall for anything this company sells (for now at least). As many here have said, we buy. We buy again. But shoe forums such as ours exist to find the flaws, call them out, and talk about it. It's what makes NT...NT. Does it 100% work? No! Does it start a conversation though? Yes it does. Because Nike reads these comments. They do market research, they do have (some) shoe heads working there. They know what they're doing. And to sneakerheads, fanatics, whatever you call it (i.e. not the new youtube creators or resellers or high school kids) the details were everything on the original Air Jordans. I recall my bros breaking down the damn messaging on the bottoms of the 9's in 93/94 like it was a school project. That was Air Jordan to us.

So...to the overall man on the street some of us would be called crazy, how do you notice this stuff, etc. (There's a reason Skechers and Crocs are selling). But to people that were there, that held these things in their hands in their original form in the 80s or 90s, heard what Tinker and them said were the small details they added, and lastly WORE them out to hoop - the details are all part of what the shoe was. The shape really was too, down to the height, or the toes. Jordans were just different - they were different enough to still have this following 30+ damn years later.

The two camps - general buyers + picky sneakerheads - are never going to agree. We know it, everyone knows it. So we gotta exist together. But personally I am glad I found this thing called NikeTalk 20 years ago because like most everything else we never had anywhere to go to analyze shoes with others. And now it's people all over the world here, I've even learned way more things than I previously thought about these shoes I thought I was an expert in. It's a fun trip, I love how when the first images release I got dudes tellin me things they notice. It's what we do! This is Niketalk.

Back
Top Bottom